My HDTV is starting ghosting...is this normal....??

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7125 Posts

Never have this weird ghosting effect before........i notice this on the PS4 games a week ago.Is this normal....??My HDTV is 10 years old...Samsung 46 1080p HDTV. Is this normal because my TV get old or is some problem with my cable...??Or maybe is time for a new 4K HDTV...??

My HDTV have 100hz motion plus...motion blur and judder reduction.

The ghosting effect it looks like this.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkEx0COr3rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBD2wRgiAo

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#2 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4781 Posts

It doesn’t look good for you and your tv? Hopefully it’s not your PS4, but don’t think it is? I’d invest into a better tv then the one you have in my opinion.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 11391 Posts

Maybe there are some options that have been changed, that doesn't sound like something that would be caused by the failure of a part in the TV (unless it is something that has to do with the timing of LED backlights)

Does it happen in everything or just the PS4?

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtariKidX

@girlusocrazy said:

Maybe there are some options that have been changed, that doesn't sound like something that would be caused by the failure of a part in the TV (unless it is something that has to do with the timing of LED backlights)

Does it happen in everything or just the PS4?

Movies and tv looks good.....no problem,no ghosting. But to be honest all this started after the latest update on the PS4.Maybe this is the problem,did they have change anything...i can't be sure.Is it true that motion blur can create ghosting on TV.....??

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@AtariKidX: I would try going in the PS4 Video Output Settings and checking everything there, trying some manual settings instead of "auto", set your TV's specific native resolution, etc

And when you start a game, make sure that your TV's Game Mode is indeed turned on.

Yes, motion blur can cause ghosting, and also motion smooth in. This would be disabled on your TV's side if Game Mode was turned on.

Also on Samsung TVs you can change the input type to PC, DVI, Game, Blu Ray, and stuff like that. You could try changing it to PC or Game. Usually when you press Source on the remote you can edit the inputs by highlighting one and pressing the Tools button.

That's not a Samsung TV but the menu can be similar to that

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AtariKidX

@girlusocrazy: My TVs input type for the PS4 is Game,but i have Game Mode off.....because this disable the 100hz motion plus motion blur reduction. i tried with the Game Mode on but again i have the same ghosting effect.

I will try the PS4 Video Output Settings and checking everything......maybe i will find something.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GirlUSoCrazy

@AtariKidX: Damn, not sure what to think...

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AtariKidX

@girlusocrazy: I check the PS4 Video Output Settings and the resolution it was on auto, i set this to 1080p and it looks this fix the problem. Weird but it works........i don't know why but now i don't have ghosting.I also reset all my TV settings and configuration them again from start, maybe this have help to. Thanks for the help.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GirlUSoCrazy

@AtariKidX: Nice! Maybe it has to do with extra processing for resampling the image by your TV, or maybe artifacts from temporal reconstruction of a 4k image.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 35171 Posts

Oled screens are more prone to ghosting. 10 years old means that it's probably not oled, but it's definitely an old tv. May be time to update it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1494 Posts

Definitely not normal. A TV to get a ghosting effect sounds like it's haunted or there's a spirit inside... just like the film The Ring. I'd bin it and get a new one.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtariKidX

@Serraph105: My HDTV is a LED TV...and yes it is old but it have very good picture quality.Maybe is time for update......it is time for a 4K TV.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

@AtariKidX said:

Never have this weird ghosting effect before........i notice this on the PS4 games a week ago.Is this normal....??My HDTV is 10 years old...Samsung 46 1080p HDTV. Is this normal because my TV get old or is some problem with my cable...??Or maybe is time for a new 4K HDTV...??

My HDTV have 100hz motion plus...motion blur and judder reduction.

The ghosting effect it looks like this.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkEx0COr3rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBD2wRgiAo

The fact that your TV is going 10 years strong is impressive. Looks to me that that refresh rate isn't keeping up. I would play around with your settings and see if you can get it to work.

That isn't a PS4 problem.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AtariKidX

@sonic_spark: It is good HDTV......and it cost me 850euros back then, Samsung make very good TVs .I have try to reset my TV settings and configuration them again from start, maybe this have help to. Now i don't have ghosting....but i think it is time to update to 4K TV.