My freedom of speech has been punished at school!

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Darkblyth
Member since 2008 • 464 Posts

Right last Monday I got in trouble for saying my opinion about the science cla.ss I said the cla.ss was too basic for me, Then they said that I think I know everything. After that load of nonsense I had to see the head-teacher and apparently what I said was offensive and I didn't show enthusiasm well how can I show enthusiasm if the lesson is about the human skeleton and the teacher points to the skull and asks the cla.ss "Does anyone know what part of the body this is?" hmm... i think its the leg. Then the head-teacher said that I have to say a positive comment about the cla.ss which is taking my freedom of speech away and if she didn't want a BAD comment about the cla.ss she should not have asked for my opinion in the first place. Oh and another thing your know the saying what goes around comes around well, the head-teacher's name is Mrs Hunter

Avatar image for Elephant_Couple
Elephant_Couple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Elephant_Couple
Member since 2010 • 1404 Posts

Yea...none of your rights were violated, and you deserve what you got.

MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts

Welcome to public education, it's been like this forever.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Students have a diminished constitutional interest in freedom of speech in the classroom, believe it or not.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Don't worry, being a surly teenager is something that passes for most people.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Don't worry, being a surly teenager is something that passes for most people.xaos
As is the seemingly endless genius that comes with it.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

:lol: Wiat...you actually complained that the class was too easy? What's wrong with you?

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I don't see a problem for you or the school?
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
It's my right to disrupt class!
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

Instead of being a negative influence on the class, perhaps you should see if your school offers placement into more advanced science courses?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
just because you can say something, doesn't always mean you should
UserBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UserBane
Member since 2010 • 994 Posts

You don't have freedom of speech, your age and institution negates it, and further more none of your "rights" were impeding on in the first place.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
you got in trouble for that?! thats dumb... i once got in trouble for smiling to much.. my teacher was screaming at me(for a different reason) and i was smiling and she said "you think this is funny this is not funny!!" and i thout it was hillarious so i started cracking up and i got kicked out of class...
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Freedom of Speech is a right, but it don't mean you are entitled to say whatever you want without a consequence. If you say something that will be snotty and to be negative then you should expect that will have consequences for you, which is what you did by the sound of it.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6816 Posts

Freedom of speech is in relative terms. When people talk about freedom of speech here, it is relative to countries that are more restrictive. Freedom of speech, like most concepts, shouldn't be thought in absolute terms.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
You didn't have anything to discuss so your comment was pointless. I get it sometimes things can seem stupid but just roll with it . Teachers don't mind a person who likes to challenge thought but they don't want to hear smart asses.
Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darkblyth

I didn't say it to them when I felt like it, they asked me a question so I gave them a honest answer

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
Protip: You have no freedom of speech when attending school. The supreme court has more or less ruled so.
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingdavid562

I didn't say it to them when I felt like it, they asked me a question so I gave them a honest answer

Darkblyth
im with you.. besides... sience teachers arnt that smart... almost everything they teach you is a "theory" and not been proven a fact..
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Well I think I'd have to come down in the middle for this specific incident. I don't believe a teacher should be able to make a judgement based on "thinking you know everything", nor should she expect you to say something positive about the class. It sounds to me like the real issue is that you were being disruptive. I'd prefer if they simply punish the actual disruption and quit trying to play psychologist or expect you to say something you don't really believe "... or else".

EDIT: Hmmm, well if they asked and you answered, then I guess I'd have to completely agree.

Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkblyth

Oh they said that as an excuse but she wasn't even talking or looking at me and the lesson was over so i just started talking to my friend and she got annoyed!

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

She asked a question, you gave an honest answer. What's their problem :/

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Oh they said that as an excuse but she wasn't even talking or looking at me and the lesson was over so i just started talking to my friend and she got annoyed!

Darkblyth

Hmmm, well in general talking in class is disallowed and treated as disruptive. In that sense, excuse or not, the school is fully within its rights and you are... not, basically.

It always bothers me when a teacher or other school official tries to say something along the lines of "Little Johnny doesn't respect me and thinks he knows everything" but don't have any specific incidents of disruption or other bad behavior to back that up. What goes on in my kid's head is irrelevant as long as he's not disrupting class and the other students with it. However, if he crosses that line and starts giving out uninvited sarcasm and smart ass remarks, then he's no longer being "prosecuted for thought crime", he's being punished for actual behavior.

I still don't believe they should be asking a student to say something positive about the class -- it should be enough for them to punish that student for the disruption and expect him to change his behavior. And if he doesn't, then obviously the answer is to step up the available reasonable penalties until he does, or ultimately remove him from the class or school.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingdavid562
o... and my freedom of speach was punished once to.. i told my teacher that i wasnt going to vote when i was 18 because i believe god will be the solution and she got mad : ( why do all my teachers hate me??
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Goddamn it.

I hate it when adults think that just about everything opinion voiced by a teenager should immediately be refuted with a 'You're far too young to understand.' and a 'Damn teenagers think they know everything.'

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all I guess. I had no freedom of speech at my highschool either (my case was something much more serious than saying something sarcastic) so I quit for online education, and now I can say what I please and take any course I wish, if they're too easy for me I have the option to advance to a harder course at any time.
Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkblyth
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all I guess. I had no freedom of speech at my highschool either (my case was something much more serious than saying something sarcastic) so I quit for online education, and now I can say what I please and take any course I wish, if they're too easy for me I have the option to advance to a harder course at any time.XilePrincess
I wasn't being sarcastic
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

you mean a teacher got mad at you for insulting their class? Do you know how much they work to make a lesson plan for you each day? You should stop whining about your class being too easy and instead be gratefull your in it.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all I guess. I had no freedom of speech at my highschool either (my case was something much more serious than saying something sarcastic) so I quit for online education, and now I can say what I please and take any course I wish, if they're too easy for me I have the option to advance to a harder course at any time.Darkblyth
I wasn't being sarcastic

""Does anyone know what part of the body this is?" hmm... i think its the leg." is sarcasm.
Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darkblyth

you mean a teacher got mad at you for insulting their class? Do you know how much they work to make a lesson plan for you each day? You should stop whining about your class being too easy and instead be gratefull your in it.

Serraph105
be gratefull? you got to be kidding me!
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
When it comes to public education, you'd be surprised how many rights you give up. This one included.
Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkblyth
[QUOTE="Darkblyth"][QUOTE="XilePrincess"]If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all I guess. I had no freedom of speech at my highschool either (my case was something much more serious than saying something sarcastic) so I quit for online education, and now I can say what I please and take any course I wish, if they're too easy for me I have the option to advance to a harder course at any time.XilePrincess
I wasn't being sarcastic

""Does anyone know what part of the body this is?" hmm... i think its the leg." is sarcasm.

I know that but i didn't say that in the class
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Welcome to school. Yes, it sucks.

End of story.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

It's my right to disrupt class!PannicAtack

If you read his post, then you would have caught the little bit about how he was asked for his opinion by the teacher. If a teacher doesn't want to hear a student's honest opinion, then maybe he or she shouldn't ask for it.

I had a very similiar situation in high school. While covering the works of Shakespeare, the English teacher asked me for my opinion of Shakespeare. I replied, "Shakespeare was an untalanted; plagiarising hack that deserves niether respect or admiration for the literary garbage that he produced". I also added, "If we truly wanted to study literary greatness, then we would be reading the works of Cervantez, instead".

The English teacher was furious. She kicked me out of her class, and swore that she would never allow me back. Since the class was a required course, however, my father presented the school superintendent with an ultimatum: reinstate my son or face legal action.

The teacher was forced to eat crow and accept me into her class. I made an 'A'.

The moral of the story is: don't ask for an opinion unless you are prepared to accept an honest answer.

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
All there's to say; don't say anything negative about the class.
Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkblyth

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]It's my right to disrupt class!dkrustyklown

If you read his post, then you would have caught the little bit about how he was asked for his opinion by the teacher. If a teacher doesn't want to hear a student's honest opinion, then maybe he or she shouldn't ask for it.

I had a very similiar situation in high school. While covering the works of Shakespeare, the English teacher asked me for my opinion of Shakespeare. I replied, "Shakespeare was an untalanted; plagiarising hack that deserves niether respect or admiration for the literary garbage that he produced". I also added, "If we truly wanted to study literary greatness, then we would be reading the works of Cervantez, instead".

The English teacher was furious. She kicked me out of her class, and swpre that she would never allow me back. Since the class was a required course, however, my father presented the school superintendent with an ultimatum: reinstate my son or face legal action.

The teacher was forced to eat crow and accept me into her class. I made an 'A'.

The moral of the story is: don't ask for an opinion unless you are prepared to accept an honest answer.

Everyone should really read the whole post not just little parts, glad to see some people have.
dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

All there's to say; don't say anything negative about the class.tsduv21

Unless the teacher asks for your honest opinion. If he or she does, then let him or her have it. Kids shouldn't have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending the sensbilities of oversensitive educators.

Darkblyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkblyth
All there's to say; don't say anything negative about the class.tsduv21
That's like saying that you love eating mud
Mousetaches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mousetaches
Member since 2009 • 1293 Posts
[QUOTE="tsduv21"]All there's to say; don't say anything negative about the class.Darkblyth

Perhaps you don't know how society works. When someone who has the ability to make your life miserable asks for your opinion, you should respond with their opinion. It also takes tact when talking to teachers. Saying "This course is too basic for me" makes you sound pompous. If you said "This course seems simple" you could convey your point just as easily without sounding douchey.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkblyth"][QUOTE="tsduv21"]All there's to say; don't say anything negative about the class.Mousetaches

Perhaps you don't know how society works. When someone who has the ability to make your life miserable asks for your opinion, you should respond with their opinion. It also takes tact when talking to teachers. Saying "This course is too basic for me" makes you sound pompous. If you said "This course seems simple" you could convey your point just as easily without sounding douchey.

Kid thinks he has to prove himself. He's probably smart just loves to seek attention on it.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

:lol: Wiat...you actually complained that the class was too easy? What's wrong with you?

Pirate700
What pirate said!
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Stop whining, none of your rights have been violated.
CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts
You were being a snotty know it all teenager. No rights were violated. Maybe it wasn't the skull.. maybe he was asking a plate or something? Because I don't any science course is like that nowadays.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkblyth"]

kingdavid562

im with you.. besides... sience teachers arnt that smart... almost everything they teach you is a "theory" and not been proven a fact..

As a Physics Major, don't you even dare get me started on how people confuse the terms "scientific theory" with the normal definition "theory."

I'll just link you to a Wiki so I won't have to start:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

m45t3rch13f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 m45t3rch13f
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
Learn to shut your mouth a bit and people might respect you more. it happens a lot in teens.
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
I believe that you weren't denied freedom of speech, but the teacher should be more open, like my high school :).
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Me thinks you do not really understand what the First Amendment entails...you may have science class under wraps, but a little more study time in Gov. class is in order
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#48 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Um.. you have the right to say whatever you want, and you have the right to be suffer the consequences.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Take this as an opportunity of free GPA points. :D

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
That's school for you... and pretty much life really, people rarely want to here honest opinions. There are ways of saying the same thing that shouldstop the teachers getting mad at you ie "I feel like we've covered this before", though personally i'ld just give them an honest opinion as i hate stupid political games like that.