Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 47572 Posts
The sign is cringe, I am sorry.

Having a newborn has allowed me the "privilege" of experiencing a lack of sleep that made my half a decade on night shift patrol seem like a walk in the park. Because of this I have been going through a lot of coffee and been trying new stuff out left and right. I normally gravitated to Dunkin' before but have since discovered some good stuff from Black Rifle Coffee.

Medium roast seems to be my go-to as of late since it's a good mix.

What are some of your favorite brands/go-tos?

-

Anyone who says decaf will be excommunicated.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10856 Posts

I go for a local roaster these days called Kicking Horse Coffee. its good stuff. Dark Roast is my go to as I like the flavor.

before that, Seattles Best was my go-to but it kinda disappeared for unknown reasons.

If i'm going to buy a coffee somewhere, the Americano is my beverage of choice (espresso + hot water).

drink everything black

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48403 Posts

Low on cash atm and lazy, so it's instant shit, unfortunately.

Quite like below, aside from being cheap, quite a potent taste for instant. Lot of cheap instant coffees like just drinking brown water.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/nescafe-gold-blend-roastery-collection-dark-roast-instant-coffee-100g/87298.html#start=1

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

Yeah, just wtf is an Americano? A coffee made with cheese and butter? Why can’t I just have a coffee? Or a cuppa tea?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

I believe they call coffee + butter "bullet coffee", it's good for keto and fasting.

From what i'm told actually tastes quite good.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 8278 Posts

I just learned about Happy Mug

So far I've been very happy with everything I've got. The Artist Blend (med) and Outdoorsy Sumatra (dark) were both very good. It's also pretty cheap even with the shipping considered.

They roast the beans the same day they ship out so they are extra fresh. I buy whole beans since I have a nice grinder and I usually use a french press (highly recommend). You can also order varying grind sizes from them for your coffee application.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16347 Posts

I grew up on Cafe Bustelo; being from a Spanish household on the east coast, it is a federally mandated law that you must have at least two bricks on deck at all times.

But seriously, it's something I grew up with, and is one of the few coffee brands that I can drink black as is, even with no sugar.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1553 Posts

I got a Keurig and rotate different boxes of pods every week. The brands that seem to make the rotation regularly are Boyd's, Don Francisco, Kauai and Peet's

Boyd's makes a good Hi-Rev that packs a good punch. My favorite work coffee.

I like the the Macadamia and hazelnut blends from Kauai and Don Francisco

Peet's for just a solid medium or dark roast brew.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 5170 Posts

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I do like Philz.

And hang in there. You will sleep again someday. Though, I'm starting to think my short term memory recall may just be permanently gone.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:

I grew up on Cafe Bustelo; being from a Spanish household on the east coast, it is a federally mandated law that you must have at least two bricks on deck at all times.

But seriously, it's something I grew up with, and is one of the few coffee brands that I can drink black as is, even with no sugar.

Ah, my wife's side of the family is from Spain so my father-in-law provided Cafe La Llave espresso... which was strong. I'll give this a try.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer: You can probably get it in most stores. They got the vacuum sealed bricks, the old fashioned can, and what they call their "party size" in a large plastic container. The Target here on Oahu has that.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18195 Posts

@uninspiredcup: "Quite like below, aside from being cheap, quite a potent taste for instant. Lot of cheap instant coffees like just drinking brown water."

Instant coffee is not too bad. Are you drinking it black?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup

@PSP107: Yep. Use to be the opposite. Agree, no problem with instant. Had the option though, be getting beans.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 51774 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: I won't give you a brand of coffee, but what I will recommend is...

...THE AEROPRESS!

Dude, this thing has changed my life. In about 1:30 minutes this device gives you the smoothest, gentlest, yet strongest cup of coffee I have ever experienced. Full-bodied, strong, flavorful, without all the gut-churning side effects we sort of joke-about-but-secretly-hate coffee for.

It seems like a gimmick but it only cost about 30-40 dollars and it works! It is one of the best designed things I have ever used in my life. I used to be like the Beastie Boys ("I take my sugar with coffee and cream") but now I drink it black because there is so much flavor and none of that tangy acid.

The only catch is that it requires a finer grind than your standard coffee comes in, but that's easily remedied by getting a grinder or having your local coffee place custom grind for you.

PS congrats on the critter, didn't know you had a newborn!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6386 Posts

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 2262 Posts

This is all I need

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5879 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

This. Their instant stuff is decent.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 125811 Posts

You guys put sugar in your coffee?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@horgen: If it's my Bustelo, I'll drink it black with no sugar. Otherwise I'll have maybe a little milk with one packet, at the most.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 40557 Posts

I'll take a tall hot blonde.... jetting aside I hear lighter roasts tend to have more caffeine. I also don't like my flavor too bold, I like to mix cream and sugar, getting a muddy sludge there's a point where cream and sugar don't do squat.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 6904 Posts

I was getting Americanos from a new coffee stand in the area. But now they are offering drip coffee, which is cheaper. So I may get that from now on.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 125811 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@horgen: If it's my Bustelo, I'll drink it black with no sugar. Otherwise I'll have maybe a little milk with one packet, at the most.

Imo sugar destroys the taste. Some milk is pretty good, depending on the coffee.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2285 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Having a newborn has allowed me the "privilege" of experiencing a lack of sleep that made my half a decade on night shift patrol seem like a walk in the park. Because of this I have been going through a lot of coffee and been trying new stuff out left and right. I normally gravitated to Dunkin' before but have since discovered some good stuff from Black Rifle Coffee.

Medium roast seems to be my go-to as of late since it's a good mix.

What are some of your favorite brands/go-tos?

-

Anyone who says decaf will be excommunicated.

Coffee connoisseurs in the US are an oxymoron, you Yanks have terrible coffee...

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE: Well, enlighten us poor, unenlightened slobs--since you're coming in hot with all the slander, what is "good coffee" to you?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 16049 Posts

Maybe Lavazza or Kamwangi AA or the kind bats crap out or something

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:

@THUMPTABLE: Well, enlighten us poor, unenlightened slobs--since you're coming in hot with all the slander, what is "good coffee" to you?

*Waits for the future tea recommendations...*

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 THUMPTABLE

@hallenbeck77 said:

Alf mate, just being honest - we are not snobs for much but coffee is definitely one of them.

There's a reason why Starbucks failed in Australia...

Generally, the roasts used by Australian venues are much smoother, lighter and more caramel compared to a lot of US coffee which is a much darker roast and more bitter.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 16049 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: darker roast and more bitter

That's the delicious part

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@THUMPTABLE said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

Alf mate, just being honest - we are not snobs for much but coffee is definitely one of them.

Generally, the roasts used by Australian venues are much smoother, lighter and more caramel compared to a lot of US coffee which is a much darker roast and more bitter.

Nah, I'm just breaking balls. Definitely not a fan of Starbucks, myself--I'll be goddamned if I'm paying good money for what they offer. What brands do you drink, and do you know offhand if they export to the US?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 THUMPTABLE

@hallenbeck77 said:
@THUMPTABLE said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

Nah, I'm just breaking balls. Definitely not a fan of Starbucks, myself--I'll be goddamned if I'm paying good money for what they offer. What brands do you drink, and do you know offhand if they export to the US?

Brand is not a big thing here, it's far more how it's made by the barista.
Vittoria is one though that is common, depending what US state you live in - you might have to do an online search for an Aussie cafe nearby?
On a side note, I just read that your bread is not very good either? (full of sugar) Wouldn't that be like cake or a muffin?
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/americans-take-on-aussie-bread-sparks-ridicule/news-story/f60f661ab57f8d6a0be72cb93d83970b

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#32 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 5245 Posts

Tim Horton’s coffee,just not the instant coffee. McDonalds is great as well,those two are great brand and basic coffee blends. Maxwell House coffee is good but better with instant. Kicking Horse coffee is good too.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1971 Posts

I don’t have a brand, I buy my coffee beans from a farmer in Thailand via Taobao.

He live streams and I can even watch him roast my own batch.

It’s a robusta bean, it’s quite bitter and the past few batches have been a little sour so I sprinkle a little salt to remove the sourness. It makes a great creamy bitter espresso.

I hope my next batch is better.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 51774 Posts

@kadin_kai: salt in the brewed coffee? Or salt on the grounds prior to brewing?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 1971 Posts

@mrbojangles25: In the brewed coffee, just a tiny little sprinkle, gets rid of the sour or acidity.

The_Vampress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Vampress
Member since 2006 • 6402 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

Tim Horton’s coffee,just not the instant coffee. McDonalds is great as well,those two are great brand and basic coffee blends. Maxwell House coffee is good but better with instant. Kicking Horse coffee is good too.

Ooooh somebody said Tim's! Think I need to go get me one 0_0