My family is kicking me out....coz i cant find a job x_x

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Logikalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Logikalis
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

I lost my job about 5 months ago and i've been looking for a job ever since-going out to any possible job opening most days of the week,and sadly havent been lucky yet.so yesterday i come home and everyone sitting infront of the t.v and they tell me that i havent been contributing to the family as a whole and havent been trying hard enough..as you can imagine i was pissed and said i have been going out everyday looking for a job and they say its impossible and its most likely that i have been just "goofing off" instead of looking for a job im like WTF!? at the end they tell me that i dont have " much time" and need to man up and find a job or i wont find my stuff in my room...i didnt even know what to say..

so fellow gamespot users-how does one start a new life?i have friends but not loaded or anything so cant loan me that much to kick start me up..any advice would be helpful

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

That sucks. I've been job hunting for 6 months and am not getting anywhere either. I can't believe your folks would kick you out.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

How old are you? This would help to know so I can better answer your question.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
How old are you? If you are over 18, I have no sympathy for you. I have been on my own since I was 18, put myself through school, etc. It can be done, and you will be a better person for it. If you are uder 18, then that is messed up...I feel bad for you. Try to make till you are 18, and then you can sign documents/enter contracts..then you can make it on your own.
Logikalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Logikalis

muller39

im gonna be 21 in a week or 2

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.
Furi-Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Furi-Kun
Member since 2007 • 10903 Posts

Well it is pretty hard to find a job these days... personally I think that's a bit harsh.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]How old are you? If you are over 18, I have no sympathy for you. I have been on my own since I was 18, put myself through school, etc. It can be done, and you will be a better person for it. If you are uder 18, then that is messed up...I feel bad for you. Try to make till you are 18, and then you can sign documents/enter contracts..then you can make it on your own.

So a one year difference is make or break? Regardless its really wrong, your family should give you a chance to find your feet before asking to leave. Oh well, theyll get their reward from the support you give them later in their lives...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.Maqda7
The problem in this economy is it's almost impossible to even hear back from them. In some states like Kali and Michigan, the unemployment rate is so high its absurd.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="muller39"]

Logikalis

What about putting yourself through university, i dont know how it is in the US, but in the UK, its gives you great security for the rest of your undergrad years.
Logikalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Logikalis

If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.Maqda7

at first i thought the same that im doing eveyrthing wrong then i began talking to alot of people whom i met before or after interviews folks like me looking for a job and most of them had been looking for 3+ months-its HARD out there right now man

Keyblade_150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Keyblade_150
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

Aw that sucks, I'd keep looking if I were you and if still no luck then maybe try and do an additional course of something to put on your CV so at least you're family can't yell at you for 'not trying.'

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="Maqda7"]If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.Pirate700

The problem in this economy is it's almost impossible to even hear back from them. In some states like Kali and Michigan, the unemployment rate is so high its absurd.

Depends what sort of work youre looking for though.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="Maqda7"]If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.-Pred-Alien-

OK for us College grads it's almost impossible. There is almost no job openings in most industries and crappy dead end jobs like grocery stores, etc. don't want to hire College grads because they want employees that are going to stay.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]How old are you? If you are over 18, I have no sympathy for you. I have been on my own since I was 18, put myself through school, etc. It can be done, and you will be a better person for it. If you are uder 18, then that is messed up...I feel bad for you. Try to make till you are 18, and then you can sign documents/enter contracts..then you can make it on your own.-Pred-Alien-
So a one year difference is make or break? Regardless its really wrong, your family should give you a chance to find your feet before asking to leave. Oh well, theyll get their reward from the support you give them later in their lives...

Yes. ONE YEAR MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE -as i posted, that is when you can sign contracts...when contracts are enforceable(get a car loan, rent an apartment, etc.)...at least in the US -before 18, they make it ALMOST impossible to live on your own here -after 18, it is difficult, but manageable
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]The problem in this economy is it's almost impossible to even hear back from them. In some states like Kali and Michigan, the unemployment rate is so high its absurd.

Pirate700

OK for us College grads it's almost impossible. There is almost no job openings in most industries and crappy dead end jobs like grocery stores, etc. don't want to hire College grads because they want employees that are going to stay.

Yeah i know how you feel but then it depends on what type of grad you are. You come out as a Civil Engineer or Pharmacist even in this climate, chances are youre guaranteed a job sooner or later.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts
Are you getting unemploymet?? Jobs are ridiculously hard to find right now which is why they keep extending the Unemployment deadline. All you can do is try...
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Depends what sort of work youre looking for though.-Pred-Alien-

Yeah i know how you feel but then it depends on what type of grad you are. You come out as a Civil Engineer or Pharmacist even in this climate, chances are youre guaranteed a job sooner or later.

Yeah engineering is doing well, but almost everything is is in the toilet. And again most non-college lvl jobs won't even consider you if you have a college degree so it's hard to even get something crappy in the mean time.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Pred-Alien-
[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]How old are you? If you are over 18, I have no sympathy for you. I have been on my own since I was 18, put myself through school, etc. It can be done, and you will be a better person for it. If you are uder 18, then that is messed up...I feel bad for you. Try to make till you are 18, and then you can sign documents/enter contracts..then you can make it on your own.rawsavon

Yes. ONE YEAR MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE -as i posted, that is when you can sign contracts...when contracts are enforceable(get a car loan, rent an apartment, etc.)...at least in the US -before 18, they make it ALMOST impossible to live on your own here -after 18, it is difficult, but manageable

Not everyone is the same, not everyone hits maturity at that age. Its a culture i see a lot in the US, not so much here in the UK. I know a few people who were lazing about at this age because they had no clue of life, but picked themselves up with the support of their family, mainly by putting themselves through university.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

Are you getting unemploymet?? Jobs are ridiculously hard to find right now which is why they keep extending the Unemployment deadline. All you can do is try...SRTtoZ
You can only get unemployment if you were recently employed.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
dang! are they you real parents? I know my mom wont ever say that to me, well good luck finding a job. BTw you better move out, you dont deserve to live with that kind of people...
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Its definitely harsh. Where i live its nearly impossible to find a place that will even allow you to fill out an application or grant you an interview much less a solid job that you stand a snowballs chance in hell of getting anyway.

I feel fortunate to have the crappy job that i have. Its not what i want to do and im constantly trying to upgrade but it is what it is. Its a stopgap. Its so bad that if i were to get laid off or get fired i would more than likely go bankrupt before i was able to find another job.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Pred-Alien-

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]OK for us College grads it's almost impossible. There is almost no job openings in most industries and crappy dead end jobs like grocery stores, etc. don't want to hire College grads because they want employees that are going to stay.

Pirate700

Yeah engineering is doing well, but almost everything is is in the toilet. And again most non-college lvl jobs won't even consider you if you have a college degree so it's hard to even get something crappy in the mean time.

I believe the term is over-qualified:P Im just glad that i started university as soon as the recession bit, im going to be safe for at least 3 years if not more if i carry on to greater education. If you dont mind me asking, what did you do your undergrad in?
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

now matter how old you are your family must always support you.its not like you dont want to find a job,you try to but cant find one.They are bad parents to put it simply.When you finally find a job and are independent,stop having any kind of connection with them,they dont deserve you.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]So a one year difference is make or break? Regardless its really wrong, your family should give you a chance to find your feet before asking to leave. Oh well, theyll get their reward from the support you give them later in their lives...-Pred-Alien-

Not everyone is the same, not everyone hits maturity at that age. Its a culture i see a lot in the US, not so much here in the UK. I know a few people who were lazing about at this age because they had no clue of life, but picked themselves up with the support of their family, mainly by putting themselves through university.

I toltally agree that he may not have the maturity to make it on his own (not saying he does/does not have it...don't know him) I am just pointing out that at 18 (in the US) he now has the ABILITY (legally) to make it on his own. I just used myself as an example, but I realize not everyone will have the maturity to be on their own and put themseves through school at 18.
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that I'm missing a large chunk of this story. An employed person loses their job in a recession, goes out and searches for jobs everyday and when he can't find one in 5 months his family threatens to throw him out? Hard to fathom.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

how older are you? have you looked for crappy jobs just to make something while looking for a better one? part time jobs are good for that.

edit: I see you're 21. get anything even if it's part time as a cashier or stock boy. don't be too proud to take something below your education just to hold you be till a better job comes along. I know i found a tech support job (well below what i made previously) during bad economic times just so that i'd be doing something while waiting for the good jobs to open up. and in a few months i got a network administration job. but at least i didn't waste my time only waiting for a job that matched me.

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts

[QUOTE="Maqda7"]If you're going to all these job interviews and not getting any job, you're either doing something wrong in the interview or you CV is just not good enough. If possible, try to get into night school, get a further degree. Upgrade your CV. Practice going to the interview with a friend or family. On yahoo there are plenty of articles you could go through that'll help you in your respective career and can help you find what your doing wrong.Pirate700

Well then my bad, the economic crisis has hit over here but it's not as bad as over in the states.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
That's a pretty crap thing for your family to do. But like they say; "Don't get mad, get even". Istill can't believe how harsh your family is.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
wow. thats pretty rough. hope you find a job
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

In these times I didn't expect a family to be so harsh:?. If you look in your daily newspaper or the internet I'm sure you could find something.

-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Pred-Alien-
[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] Yes. ONE YEAR MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE -as i posted, that is when you can sign contracts...when contracts are enforceable(get a car loan, rent an apartment, etc.)...at least in the US -before 18, they make it ALMOST impossible to live on your own here -after 18, it is difficult, but manageablerawsavon

I toltally agree that he may not have the maturity to make it on his own (not saying he does/does not have it...don't know him) I am just pointing out that at 18 (in the US) he now has the ABILITY (legally) to make it on his own. I just used myself as an example, but I realize not everyone will have the maturity to be on their own and put themseves through school at 18.

Well i went through a lot of depression and issues throughout my late teens and entered university almost two/three years late. But now im studying a great course at a great university that will have excellent prospects once i graduate, and i wouldnt have got this far had it not been for my parents, brother and support at my secondary school. Being my family already, ill be in debt to them for the rest of my life, but thats something im happy to uphold. I feel that parents have the responsibility to put a little wind on the back of their children. Offcourse in the case of you, you didnt need it mainly because you got to university but if somebody is trying they should be given a chance. Offcourse somebody bumming around is a different story...
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Well with high school kids jetting off to college, the time is now to at least find a retail job

Logikalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Logikalis

Why do I get the feeling that I'm missing a large chunk of this story. An employed person loses their job in a recession, goes out and searches for jobs everyday and when he can't find one in 5 months his family threatens to throw him out? Hard to fathom.FragStains

well i have had other arguments with them over the course of these months-but they werent so long and no threats -it kept getting worse and worse until this final one

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Not everyone is the same, not everyone hits maturity at that age. Its a culture i see a lot in the US, not so much here in the UK. I know a few people who were lazing about at this age because they had no clue of life, but picked themselves up with the support of their family, mainly by putting themselves through university.-Pred-Alien-

Well i went through a lot of depression and issues throughout my late teens and entered university almost two/three years late. But now im studying a great course at a great university that will have excellent prospects once i graduate, and i wouldnt have got this far had it not been for my parents, brother and support at my secondary school. Being my family already, ill be in debt to them for the rest of my life, but thats something im happy to uphold. I feel that parents have the responsibility to put a little wind on the back of their children. Offcourse in the case of you, you didnt need it mainly because you got to university but if somebody is trying they should be given a chance. Offcourse somebody bumming around is a different story...

I would say that "i didn't need it (family support)" It just was not an option...my mom worked 2.5 jobs for us to survive I think that most (certainly not all) people will rise to the given circumstances. I wanted better for my life, knew I had to go to school, knew I would have no help, so I made it happen. I thinkk that life circumstances often dictate how fast a person grows up...my feeling is that this is the goal of his family...he is 21 and they are trying to create circumstances that will force him to grow up. Now the question is "can people create circumstances that cause a person to grow up...or do they have to come naturally"
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Your family is really unfair :?

Crap. Well can't you try to reason with them?

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#39 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

im 21 college student, and never had a job in my life. and if you're parents are going to kick u out for not having one, just wait til they get older and have cancer. then slap them across the f ucking facegrowingabeard

Spoiled much?

growingabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 growingabeard
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts
screw reasoning with them. leave the house and never talk to them until they mature. remember, you're the mature one, not them
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts
[QUOTE="Logikalis"]

[QUOTE="muller39"]

That is terrible man especially with the economy the way it is. Jobs are hard to come by these days so I think it unwarrented what your family has done to you.
growingabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 growingabeard
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts

[QUOTE="growingabeard"]im 21 college student, and never had a job in my life. and if you're parents are going to kick u out for not having one, just wait til they get older and have cancer. then slap them across the f ucking faceLos9090

Spoiled much?

speak for yourself, my parents care about my education before working for pity money at an ice cream shop
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I can't find a job outside of mowing people's lawns...so you're not the only one. Of course, we don't know how old you are, you could be 25 and still living with your parents...which in that case it is pathetic and you really should be out on your own. Depends on how old you are.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ontain
[QUOTE="rawsavon"] I thinkk that life circumstances often dictate how fast a person grows up...my feeling is that this is the goal of his family...he is 21 and they are trying to create circumstances that will force him to grow up. Now the question is "can people create circumstances that cause a person to grow up...or do they have to come naturally"

I agree that's what they are doing. and it's for his own good. at 21 you should be able to make it on your own. parents and relatives can help but they want to see some progress if he expects them to keep propping him up. whether that's grad school or a job is up to him. but 5 months is certainly a long time without either. and there are jobs out there. they just aren't what everyone wants. but you do what you have to do to survive.
Baffels18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Baffels18
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

Harsh parents. :?

Then again my dad was living on his own when he was 16.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
Oh oops, I see your 21. You should have a job by now man, you should have been hunting for jobs since you were 16. And you're in college, it's time to stop leeching off your parents and become a man, if you ask me.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ontain

[QUOTE="FragStains"]Why do I get the feeling that I'm missing a large chunk of this story. An employed person loses their job in a recession, goes out and searches for jobs everyday and when he can't find one in 5 months his family threatens to throw him out? Hard to fathom.Logikalis

well i have had other arguments with them over the course of these months-but they werent so long and no threats -it kept getting worse and worse until this final one

what were the other arguments about?
BountyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 BountyBound
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

If they kick you out before you find a job crash at a friend's house and then when you get a job find an apartment and get a roommate to cut expenses. If your family kicks you out because you can't find a job I wouldn't go back. Then work really hard and raise through the ranks and don't go back.