my family doesnt approve of my future career choice..they mock me :O

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
im really confused..i LOVE ARCHEOLOGY..but my family keeps saying i wont make..money "sigh".and its not that sought after..they say choose something in the field of computers or i dunno architect or lawyer...i dunno what to do..i still have more than a year to choose and decide finally but still..

so how did you pick your career? did you come across any problems like me.and are you happy or regret it now?

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts
Who cares about the money do what you enjoy doing.
g-unit248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 g-unit248
Member since 2005 • 7197 Posts
take it from someone who learned the hard way, its not all about the $$, find something that you enjoy
GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Pursue archeology. It might be a risk, but what's the point in living if you are just going to spend every day doing something you aren't going to enjoy?
kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

take it from someone who learned the hard way, its not all about the $$, find something that you enjoyg-unit248

oh..sorry to hear that,what happened?

TheManOfChoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheManOfChoice
Member since 2003 • 4148 Posts
Seriously man, just do what YOU want to do. I'm in university 1 right now. Now, I'm one of those people who don't want to be anything ordinary for the rest of my life and just do a mindless job that I hate just to get by so I was bound to be dissappointed as soon as i stepped into university, but anyway, I decided i'd settle for being a cop. But all my classes that have to do with becoming a cop all say that it's not at all what you think it is and it get's really stressfull, annoying and a lot of cops hate it for about 3 years and then they just 'get used to it'. Now I don't want to be a cop and have no idea what I'm doing. Everything that I WANT to do is out of reach unless i can magically become an actor or a writer or a professional athlete. So just do whatever will make you happy in your life, **** what anyone else tells you.
eo12601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 eo12601
Member since 2003 • 4814 Posts

Do what you love. Screw materialism. It'll only make you miserable. Life's too short to waste it doing something you don't want to be doing. If money is really important to you, then take it into account. If its secondary, then stick with archaelogy.

P.S. You can always get a bachelors or masters in archaelogy and go back for law shool if you want to.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Wow, my family supports anything I choose to do.

If I said that, they'd support me.

That sucks, just do it anyway.

A family that doesn't support their kids doesn't sound like much of a tightknit family. :|

That's like saying, "Screw your dream."

Just do it. If it's what you want, everything will work out.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

meh.... not up to your parents is it.

Anyway, they'll get used to it.

flowerpedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 flowerpedal
Member since 2006 • 570 Posts
dont do something just for the money...unless money is your dream ...
u should continue on what u want to do =) is better to enjoy ur life and be happy
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
agreed pick what u like to do not just for the $$$$$ its a lonnnnggg story how i picked the major ive picked
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
Tell your family that you will do what you want to do. Don't listen to them. If you love it, do it. My dad is always bothering me about how he wants me to be a teacher when I don't really want to. I'd hate to teach a bunch of teenagers stuff that most of them will most likely not even take seriously in the future. I'm aiming to do something that has to do with art, so I'd rather do something that makes me happy.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

My parents never really approved of the choices my brother made either. Their dream was for us to be either lawyers, doctors or accountants. Well my brothers now studying to be a teacher (probably teaching japanese or english in japan) and i plan on being a Psychiatrist, which will kinda make me a doctor anyway but not the kind they wanted me to be. Go for it, coz you just might find something that could change history all together. Jesus' tomb has gotta be out there somewhere.

gatorforlife07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 gatorforlife07
Member since 2007 • 1098 Posts

just do what you enjoy doing

nintendorocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 nintendorocks
Member since 2004 • 5996 Posts
Do what YOU want. Not what your family wants.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Do what you love and you'll be happy. Money =/= happiness.
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 _Marisa_
Member since 2003 • 12204 Posts
I'm thinking about taking up stripping until I can get into medical school to help get on my feet. I'm just not going to tell my family :P They need not know
Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts
I'm thinking passion should be the main motivator for any career choice, not the money.
DrewTheSchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#20 DrewTheSchu
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts
do what you wanna do. trust me,as soon as you walk out of high school time just FLIES by. Years just up and disappear it seems. So if you have the means, go with what makes you happy. If it doesn't work, you have the rest of your life to change and find something else.
TheMutableOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheMutableOne
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts
My dad wants me to go into graphic design or computer animatio, but I'm not really into that stuff that much anymore. I want to do something with music. I'm going to an Art Institute, getting out with a degree, looking for a decent job, and continuing music.
pugsy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pugsy44
Member since 2007 • 1682 Posts

It doesn't really matter what they think, do whatever you want.

:) good luck

xxDustmanxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xxDustmanxx
Member since 2007 • 2598 Posts

My dad wants me to go into graphic design or computer animatio, but I'm not really into that stuff that much anymore. I want to do something with music. I'm going to an Art Institute, getting out with a degree, looking for a decent job, and continuing music.TheMutableOne

Thats the same with me.I wanted to go to a school in orlando and take up computer animation but i really dont wann sit at a computer and make games all day.Im thinking of going to a school to learn fine art and play music on the side.

blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts

Well I've always known what I wanted to do since I was about 13 and that was stuff with computers. I didn't know what field, but I knew it was something to do with computers. I've done a lot of stuff and I'm sure I want to push to get my Masters in ISA and work to improve security for corporations/users.

But also, in the back of my mind (and what I currently do now) I've had my secondary goal and that is something with real estate.

So what if your family doesn't want you to become an archaeologist. They should support you in any decision you make. but I would recommend, always having a backup... just in case ;)

mysticmike01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mysticmike01
Member since 2006 • 294 Posts
im really confused..i LOVE ARCHEOLOGY..but my family keeps saying i wont make..money "sigh".and its not that sought after..they say choose something in the field of computers or i dunno architect or lawyer...i dunno what to do..i still have more than a year to choose and decide finally but still..

so how did you pick your career? did you come across any problems like me.and are you happy or regret it now?

kirk4ever

My parents have always been supportive of my career choice. My major right now is political science, and I plan on enlisting in the Marines as an officer after my graduation. They were wary at first about that decision, but they respect it now. They know I've always really had it in my mind to join the armed forces, and they really don't care what I do as long as I get a college degree first.

ThaStig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ThaStig
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
That's horrible. They should always support you. I want to be a mechanic but with the way the world is going, I'm not sure how much longer the internal combustion engine is going to be around.
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts
Yeah I know how you feel. Most of my other family didn't take so well what I decided to study but I don't really care. You do what makes you happy since you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. Go for it!
SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

kirk4ever

i am a senior right now and facing the same problem but i have decided to follow my parents wishes to go pre-med and if i fail i minored in archaelogy and english literature which are two of my favorite hobbies i say try something that they want and you might like it if not you have archaelogy to fall back on

TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
Well, you decide. Would you rather have a job that you enjoy with average payment, or one that you don't enjoy but get payed really well
Avatar image for ChicaQueenWarGa
ChicaQueenWarGa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 ChicaQueenWarGa
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

I am going to be a pediatrician, and sticking to it. My parents keep saying, "Oh, you'll be in school for so long. You do know you need to talk to people. Why don't you become a family doctor?"

My family is quite happy that I am leaning toward the medical area for the future.

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
Go for archaeology. I took a class a year or two ago in it and I think if I fail at computers for any reason I'd go back to that in a heartbeat.
BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#32 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
Stick with it. I've always heard its important to love what you do. If you want to archeology, then do it.
PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PickGlove243
Member since 2007 • 3144 Posts
People only think about money. As long as you're happy, their opinion should be of no importance to you.
Hom3_Pwn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hom3_Pwn3r
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Wait a minute aren't you just basically recapping the plot from "The Rundown"? If they send a huge Latino to find you take solace in the fact you will find a Gato worth millions.
IAteTheSoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IAteTheSoap
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
Eric Blair (George Orwell) was discouraged by his family from becoming an author.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
is your family going to do your work for you everyday? in not, then their opinions on the subject dont matter.
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

Ha, nice crossroads.

I don't have a career choice yet, and I'm a college student. There's only 2 things I could like doing for a living: I'd accept being either a famous author, or a respected musician.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts

That's horrible. They should always support you. I want to be a mechanic but with the way the world is going, I'm not sure how much longer the internal combustion engine is going to be around. ThaStig

Mechanic is my top choice also...I have others, but that's my predominant one.

By the time I get to Centennial College, I would probably have to learn about some different engine...

darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
Don't listen to all the "do what you enjoy" BS. You're not going to find a job with an archeology degree.
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

Don't listen to all the "do what you enjoy" BS. You're not going to find a job with an archeology degree. darkmario123

Its better than living your entire life in a dead end job you loathe.

gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gameeer1
As for TC, your parents should have your back no matter what you do. As long as you are happy, that should be the only thing that counts, not just monetary earnings...
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gameeer1

Don't listen to all the "do what you enjoy" BS. You're not going to find a job with an archeology degree. darkmario123

And why wouldn't you want to do something you enjoy?

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
I decided I would do what would fulfill me. I have never had reason to regret that decision, and I can assure you that I'm not in a lucrative field. If you have the discipline to live within your means and have few material desires, you can make do with a small salary - and THAT will let you do what you really want to do with your life, instead of falling into the trap that so many fall into when they place money ahead of job satisfaction.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Not good advice. People do much better in both their jobs and in life in general when they enjoy their work. Even if it isn't archaeology, he MUST choose a career he will enjoy, or he will end up feeling very unhappy in the long run. There's a reason that anti-depression drugs and therapy has become a major industry in the modern day.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
Prove them wrong, and you have more than a year to choose. Many people in college still have no idea what they really want to do with their lives.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts

Screw that degree. Be a happy bum like this guy...

njk

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="TheMutableOne"]My dad wants me to go into graphic design or computer animatio, but I'm not really into that stuff that much anymore. I want to do something with music. I'm going to an Art Institute, getting out with a degree, looking for a decent job, and continuing music.xxDustmanxx

Thats the same with me.I wanted to go to a school in orlando and take up computer animation but i really dont wann sit at a computer and make games all day.Im thinking of going to a school to learn fine art and play music on the side.

I had three career choices at hand when I graduated high school. I liked Psychiatry the most, but I'm poor, and most people in my classes were pursuing it, so I was scared off. Music was my next one, but I had no training and I knew there were performances required to get in, so I was scared off.

Finally, there was a course on Animation and New Media(Web Design, Video editing, CD authoring, Audio) and I took that.

It's not unenjoyable, and I could do it for a living, but my passion is music and writing. I'll look into a new career choice if I feel I'm finacially able, or if my hobbyist approach to them takes off.