My extreme nightmares...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

Before seeking proefessional help of some sort for this I thought I would hear if any of you have experienced something similar to this.

I get pretty extreme nightmares from time to time, they are very odd and differ themselves from my other usual dreams and "regular" nightmares. It's usually triggered if I go to be late, and it is always 10min-1hour after going to sleep it occours.

What happens is I wake up, I am fully aware of my surroundings I can think clearly and see my room just as it is usually. Whats different though is that I feel a presence of someone or something that I know wants to harm me. I usually also have a tingeling sensation in my body similar to what you get when a bodypart has fallen asleep. I am also completely unable to move, I can't move a muscle even though I try as hard as I can, I can't snap out of it either. My ears also seem clogged up and I can't hear much. My pulse increase and I get extremely scared, my heart starts pounding fast and I am extremely frightened even though I know it's just my imagination and I know it's rediclous. Sometimes I can see the presence I am afraid of, it's shape and size change from each dream, and sometimes I am not lying in a position where I am able to see it, but I still feel it's there. Then I feel an intense pain sort of a stab at a specific area on my body, usually my back. Then after that I can move again and I am able to snap out of it. After that I am usually still scared, with a high pulse, swimming in sweat while my heart race uncontrollably.

This is very unpleasant to say the least... I always hear people talk about pinching themselves to see wether or not they are asleep, but my dreams is usually where I feel the most pain. What confuse me about this though is that I feel completely awake during all of this I know it's irrational and just a dream, but I still can't prevent it.

Jowell91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Jowell91
Member since 2007 • 555 Posts
is there something your scared of in real life, that you might be subconsciously thinking of, thats usually when nightmares like that occur. but theres not much we can do for you.
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
That's not a dream.
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cook66

is there something your scared of in real life, that you might be subconsciously thinking of, thats usually when nightmares like that occur. but theres not much we can do for you.Jowell91

Not really. I don't get scared a lot, I've been through some things which caused people to just hide in corners and scream uncontrollably, but I've always dealt with it without problem.

As far as I know there is nothing I am particulary afraid of.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cook66

That's not a dream.British_Azimio

What is it then?

British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts

[QUOTE="British_Azimio"]That's not a dream.Cook66

What is it then?

Sleep paralysis. I've had it a lot too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cook66
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

[QUOTE="British_Azimio"]That's not a dream.British_Azimio

What is it then?

Thanks a billion. :)

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#8 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts
I have the same problem...Except that when I sleepwalk, I move around and punch things while screaming in terror.
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 StarFox-Elite
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
Had it once for a few seconds...
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cook66

I have the same problem...Except that when I sleepwalk, I move around and punch things while screaming in terror.THE_DRUGGIE

Sounds unpleasnt, as far as I know I have never sleepwalked, but this condition as I may call it has often had some pretty damaging effects on me. According to wiki I also suffer from Hypnagogia which covers the part where I feel something there and also feel pain. Very odd... I wonder how the next time will be now that I know exactly what it is.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
I probably had one of those but if I did I think I would probably forgot
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

thats a weird condition.

CaUs3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CaUs3
Member since 2006 • 2903 Posts
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

sounds weird

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#14 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]I have the same problem...Except that when I sleepwalk, I move around and punch things while screaming in terror.Cook66

Sounds unpleasnt, as far as I know I have never sleepwalked, but this condition as I may call it has often had some pretty damaging effects on me. According to wiki I also suffer from Hypnagogia which covers the part where I feel something there and also feel pain. Very odd... I wonder how the next time will be now that I know exactly what it is.

Actually, I never knew that it happened, because I usually black out when I sleep. I never had a dream this entire year. When I wake up in the morning, my parents tell me that I was doing that.

ConcernedEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConcernedEgo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
you should drink some hot coco fithteen minutes before you go to bed. you should rest easier after that.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Had it too, but my grandma said it was ghosts :?
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 StarFox-Elite
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
I've talked in my sleep before, and its very irritating as I get the mick taken by my own family from it sometimes...
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

i've had that you've just got to think constantly about waking up cause you won't be able to go back to sleep, i try wiggling my fingers first then i just snap out of it

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaintLeonidas
all this talk about it now i want to experience it
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
all this talk about it now i want to experience itSaintLeonidas
No you don't, it's scary as hell.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintLeonidas

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]all this talk about it now i want to experience itX360PS3AMD05
No you don't, it's scary as hell.

but im dumb when it comes to this stuff, i want to experience it, like i really want to experince a bite from a black widow, or be shot, just to see the felling from it.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Man, that sounds scary. Id hate to have that.
Clone_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Clone_Dad
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

ive read up on this before- you're experienceing 'sleep paralysis', and being visited by 'the old hag'.

Taken from http://www.lucidcrossroads.co.uk/guide.htm:

Sleep paralysis happens to us everytime we sleep, if it didn't we'd all be acting out our dreams in our beds, something that could be bad for us and our sleeping partners. The impulses are still generated in the brain when you move a limb in a dream or lucid dream but that impulse is stopped from transmitting the action to the limb. Basically the body is put on reserve power and only the most primitive and basic functions required for life (breathing etc.) are switched on. The only thing the mind can still exert control over are the eyes in dreaming REM (rapid eye movements) track the dreaming objects people etc you are looking at and is the reason lucid dreaming was first proved by using predetermined eye movements to signal to the outside world that lucidity had begun.

Old Hag - Throughout human history across all cultures there are reports of attackers that come at night, to crush or suck the life out of the paralyzed victim. Vampires, demons, witches, devils all are different names for the old hag, many cultures report waking in the night, being unable to move and then sensing an evil presence in the room or footsteps outside the door. The figure will walk to the terrified person and usually straddle their chest crushing the breath and life out of them or biting or sucking the life out of them. The experience is normally short lived but can last upto 8-10 minutes, it has been blamed for many other reports such as alien abduction and experimentation.

How to beat the Hag ~ This condition seems to run in families and can without scientific explanation effect localized communities for short periods upto three weeks (some believe this is because dreaming minds are linked and the fear is passed on). Sleeping on your back is associated with this condition and changing position in the night is encouraged.

If the hag does come and you feel sleep paralysis you need to try and relax recall the the words on this page, "this is a form of dream, you are the dreamer you have the control". Many people report when they relax and lose their fear the hag shrinks and vanishes, some recite the a prayer from their religion if they have one. The key is belief and you should also try to see there episodes as something positive as you are one step away from becoming lucid.

Hope that helps

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts

Before seeking proefessional help of some sort for this I thought I would hear if any of you have experienced something similar to this.

I get pretty extreme nightmares from time to time, they are very odd and differ themselves from my other usual dreams and "regular" nightmares. It's usually triggered if I go to be late, and it is always 10min-1hour after going to sleep it occours.

What happens is I wake up, I am fully aware of my surroundings I can think clearly and see my room just as it is usually. Whats different though is that I feel a presence of someone or something that I know wants to harm me. I usually also have a tingeling sensation in my body similar to what you get when a bodypart has fallen asleep. I am also completely unable to move, I can't move a muscle even though I try as hard as I can, I can't snap out of it either. My ears also seem clogged up and I can't hear much. My pulse increase and I get extremely scared, my heart starts pounding fast and I am extremely frightened even though I know it's just my imagination and I know it's rediclous. Sometimes I can see the presence I am afraid of, it's shape and size change from each dream, and sometimes I am not lying in a position where I am able to see it, but I still feel it's there. Then I feel an intense pain sort of a stab at a specific area on my body, usually my back. Then after that I can move again and I am able to snap out of it. After that I am usually still scared, with a high pulse, swimming in sweat while my heart race uncontrollably.

This is very unpleasant to say the least... I always hear people talk about pinching themselves to see wether or not they are asleep, but my dreams is usually where I feel the most pain. What confuse me about this though is that I feel completely awake during all of this I know it's irrational and just a dream, but I still can't prevent it.

Cook66

Hmm so are you awake or are you dreaming? Is it a lucid dream?

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

lol lucid dreams sound cool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream perform impossible feats!!!!!!!!!!! if you were somehow able to sneak a camera into the dream and record these impossible feats then put them on youtube YOU WOULD BE FAMOUS!!!!

ok sorry its late and i'm scared that im going to fall into sleep paralysis:cry:

99RanchMarket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 99RanchMarket
Member since 2006 • 279 Posts
Yes it is sleep paralysis. I have it sometimes. I know how to snap out of it but I think it only works for me (takes time too). It was scary at first, but its not too bad after. I just see some scary stuff :(.
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 supras989

can somebody explain what freaky stuff you have seen, i saw the poster up a couple that had info on old hags or demons etc. is this what some of you guys see?

do they attack you? does it hurt? :(

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
That sounds rough, but there are worse things that can happen to you in your sleep.
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supras989
That sounds rough, but there are worse things that can happen to you in your sleep. Elraptor
like what!!! :cry: im getting creeped out its so late
Recycleation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Recycleation
Member since 2007 • 2758 Posts
[QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

you didn;t know that :|
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cook66
[QUOTE="Cook66"][QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="Cook66"]

[QUOTE="British_Azimio"]That's not a dream.Recycleation

What is it then?

No I didn't. I have never heard of it before. Turns out that both the inability to move and the pain and "presence" I feel is both somewhat logically explained and that helps me a lot. There is also a drug which can help against this so if it gets worse I can always see a doctor.

The only reason I was able to write this post with such detail is because I woke up last nights and wrote down the symptoms. I usually only remember it when it happens, but when I read what I wrote last night I recalled everything.

As for lucid dreams I have experienced that a few times as well, but those are always plesurable where I fly, breathe underwater or do other fun things and as far as I can tell they are usually normal dreams I realise that I dream in so I can take control, and this happens in the morning usually right before I wake up so they are always interrupted by me waking up.

I doubt the information I have on this will help me though, because I have always been a sceptic on all types of supernatural beings and even though it has felt like those multiple times I have always believed with 100% certainty that they where figments of my imagination, so even though I know the details about this it will probably still happen. It seems to be that the pain I feel might be a direct result of the sleep paralisis wearing off and if thats the case I will still be in pain before waking up regardless of how well I know whats going on.

I never actually thought my paralisis was real before now so this really explained a lot to me.

I still wonder why I see these monsters though, it makes little sense to me. Last time i saw it it was a thing no more than 120cm tall with a pointy hat...

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 supras989
[QUOTE="Recycleation"][QUOTE="Cook66"][QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

No I didn't. I have never heard of it before. Turns out that both the inability to move and the pain and "presence" I feel is both somewhat logically explained and that helps me a lot. There is also a drug which can help against this so if it gets worse I can always see a doctor.

The only reason I was able to write this post with such detail is because I woke up last nights and wrote down the symptoms. I usually only remember it when it happens, but when I read what I wrote last night I recalled everything.

As for lucid dreams I have experienced that a few times as well, but those are always plesurable where I fly, breathe underwater or do other fun things and as far as I can tell they are usually normal dreams I realise that I dream in so I can take control, and this happens in the morning usually right before I wake up so they are always interrupted by me waking up.

I doubt the information I have on this will help me though, because I have always been a sceptic on all types of supernatural beings and even though it has felt like those multiple times I have always believed with 100% certainty that they where figments of my imagination, so even though I know the details about this it will probably still happen. It seems to be that the pain I feel might be a direct result of the sleep paralisis wearing off and if thats the case I will still be in pain before waking up regardless of how well I know whats going on.

I never actually thought my paralisis was real before now so this really explained a lot to me.

I still wonder why I see these monsters though, it makes little sense to me. Last time i saw it it was a thing no more than 120cm tall with a pointy hat...

man i am so scared right now and i dont want to go to bed :cry:, lol whats the scariest thing you've seen if you can recall? you don't have to answer because it is probably something you don't want in your head, .......................... i also just had to put on my music something cheerful to stop me from scaring myself to death.
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#34 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
Jesus Christ is the answer to everything. trust me i know
Im_So_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Im_So_Right
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

I read all that whinny rubbish as

BOO HOO BOO HOO .......

IM A BIG CRY BABY ...

BOO HOO ...

FFS .. grow up ..lol

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts
sometimes i have dreams that i am being raped:(
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cook66
[QUOTE="Cook66"][QUOTE="Recycleation"][QUOTE="Cook66"][QUOTE="British_Azimio"][QUOTE="Cook66"]

[QUOTE="British_Azimio"]That's not a dream.supras989

What is it then?

man i am so scared right now and i dont want to go to bed :cry:, lol whats the scariest thing you've seen if you can recall? you don't have to answer because it is probably something you don't want in your head, .......................... i also just had to put on my music something cheerful to stop me from scaring myself to death.

It's nothing to be scared of. I only get scared when it actually happen, and since it's just in my mind it is really not such a big deal. If you haven't experienced this then I wouldn't worry about it. I find that lighting up my room so when I wake up I can clearly see my surroundings help a lot, it also helps that we know it's not dangerous, but just some weird bodily functions not working 100%. The scariest thing well.. It's usually just shadows or something like that it's not the thing itself which scare me, I can't really explain it, but I am just scared. Whats worse than the thing is the feeling that it's there, but it eventually pass once you wake up. Now that I think about it I have actually had this happen to me several times when I was a kid as well...

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cook66

Jesus Christ is the answer to everything. trust me i knowMichaeltheCM

Care to elaborate on that?

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts
Can't say that i've had that problem. Although I have suffered from insomnia periodicallyfor many years.
ff-leader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ff-leader
Member since 2006 • 2400 Posts
Help, ive had this where im in a paralysed state and i hear loud bangs, loud noises that make me jump. Like the other day i heard very loud bangs coming from my room while in the paralysed state. I have heard voices. The wost was when i woke and looked at my mum who was sleeping in a bed next to me when i was young, she was this evil monster which attacked me, scratching me i was running round the room awake. I ran into the lighted landing and she was normal again. Very scary.
Im_So_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Im_So_Right
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

Anyone here who has had real *Post truamatic stress* .....(not this whinny soft a*se my mum never read me a bed time story now Im stressed rubbish )

will know what REAL NIGHT TERRORS are !!

drink doesnt help with PTS as well ..trust me ..lol..lol

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cook66

Help, ive had this where im in a paralysed state and i hear loud bangs, loud noises that make me jump. Like the other day i heard very loud bangs coming from my room while in the paralysed state. I have heard voices. The wost was when i woke and looked at my mum who was sleeping in a bed next to me when i was young, she was this evil monster which attacked me, scratching me i was running round the room awake. I ran into the lighted landing and she was normal again. Very scary.ff-leader

While it's not just a dream, according to what I've read today it isn't more dangerous than one, just remember that. :)

Avatar image for guitargoddess17
guitargoddess17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 guitargoddess17
Member since 2007 • 1333 Posts
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

What is it then?

Ive had that quite a few times... It's never fun.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cook66

Anyone here who has had real *Post truamatic stress* .....(not this whinny soft a*se my mum never read me a bed time story now Im stressed rubbish )

will know what REAL NIGHT TERRORS are !!

drink doesnt help with PTS as well ..trust me ..lol..lol

Im_So_Right

Although I have some problems with your presence in this topic I am going to give you a brief answer.

I experienced one of the most horrible things things to happen for several decades, but me as well as everyone I know came out in good shape and I was cleared by psycologists not to have post traumatic stress, even if I did this started happening to me more than 10 years before this experience.

Frank-Brunel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Frank-Brunel
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts
Woah ive had that also, i used to get all the time when i was like 8! Id be awake but not, like you said, and just randomly hallucinate! Then id awake in the morning and could barely remember it! I finally know what it was!
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cook66

Woah ive had that also, i used to get all the time when i was like 8! Id be awake but not, like you said, and just randomly hallucinate! Then id awake in the morning and could barely remember it! I finally know what it was!Frank-Brunel

Same here, only I've had it since I was atleast 5 and I am now 19 and still have it. My parents just brushed it off as dreams just as I have for several years now, but since I never could exactly remember before reading my notes I never could talk to people about what exactly happend.

Avatar image for RKO_Randy_Orton
RKO_Randy_Orton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RKO_Randy_Orton
Member since 2005 • 2345 Posts

I have had sleep paralysis and it scared me so much that it changed the way I saw and thought things.

I cant forget about it but it doesnt scare me at all now though I do get a little frightened when I unexpectedly feel as though I am getting it and think "she is coming" but I manage to pull myself out of it within seconds because I dont want to know what will happen next.