My dad single-handedly ruins marraige. Refuses to accept any responsibility.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

User Lists: 0

#1 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

So basically we've fallen under some hard times and about five years ago my dad became a heavy drinker. Coeincidentally, this is when he says my mom started going downhill in their marraige. When he drinks, he gets violent, scary, and forgets most of what happened the next day and just remembers the angry parts. He says my mom doesn't love him when she falls asleep on the couch instead of in bed when he's drunk and calls her lazy and crap. Last night he just flipped and said he wanted to end it. My mom fell asleep crying and howling like a child in my arms. It's moments like that where a spouse is supposed to be there for each other but he just comes out and starts yelling some more. This morning I woke him up and said pretty much everything I've been feeling for the past five years. About drinking, how he treats her, how he refuses to seek help. I told him he has no where to go but he doesn't care. All he remembers is the bad stuff that happened last night. That very same yesterday before the alchohol kicked in he said he loved her dearly. And she's always loved him. But he's always had a problem with thinking that he's always right, even when you prove him wrong. It's far from a perfect marraige but mom doesn't want out, and I don't think he truly does either, but is too drunk and bitter to know that. Advice?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Is your Mom working just as many hours as he is and bringing in the same money?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
It's better for you and your mom if he does end it. Alcoholism is not good to live with....
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
If his bear is in bottles, replace the beer with water. If it's in cans, make a hole at the bottom, that way it leaks out. Other than that, I have no advice for your parent's marriage.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Is this something you really should ask on video game forum?

Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kelayr
Member since 2005 • 61857 Posts
If you really can't find any way at all to convince your father to seek help, it might be for the best, like LJS mentioned, unless you can somehow force him to kick his drinking habit. His alcoholism will have to go first if there's to be any hope of things getting better for your family.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic

supa_badman
Why not? In regard to his question.....if his father is an alcoholic the situation is only going to get worse not better. His dad needs to stop drinking but it's rare that happens without a push. And even then some people don't choose to stop. That's why it's better for the family if his dad does leave...unless he enters rehab and stays sober.
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

Get professional help...alcoholism is a sickness, and needs to be treated. After that some marriage counseling couldn't hurt. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Hmm, that sucks. How old are you?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

Get professional help...alcoholism is a sickness, and needs to be treated. After that some marriage counseling couldn't hurt. Easier said than done I'm afraid.

LieutenantFeist
His father has to be the one to seek the treatment.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brickdoctor

Is your Mom working just as many hours as he is and bringing in the same money?

Jaysonguy

Roughly. He's a construction worker and she works in admitting at a hospital, but she always cleaned and got up an hour early to prepare him for work and stuff.

Hmm, that sucks. How old are you?

Palantas

17. I've been preparing for something like this for quite a while now and I'm old enough to realize I didn't do anything wrong.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Sedate him and drop him off at a rehab clinic.
TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Only 17? That's no good. :(

Sorry to hear that. It's good that you confronted him about it. How big is your dad? Do you think you can take him if you have to?

But only if it comes to that. Don't go picking fights with him because some random internet user told you to. Hmm. I really have no idea, try talking to him instead and try to convince him to join AA or something.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

You and your Mom need to get out now.

If your Mom still loves him then she can call him and encourage him to get into an alcohol abuse program and if he stays clean she will come back.

If he doesn't see the light and willingly do this then there is an inevitable outcome that won't be pretty.

Feel bad for you, but this is a disease and nothing your mom or yousay can change anything until he address the disease. He has to decide which is more important: his family or the booze. Don't be surprised if he chooses the booze.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

LJS9502_basic
Why not? In regard to his question.....if his father is an alcoholic the situation is only going to get worse not better. His dad needs to stop drinking but it's rare that happens without a push. And even then some people don't choose to stop. That's why it's better for the family if his dad does leave...unless he enters rehab and stays sober.

What I will say to. Rehab or something else to get him to sober up... Or leave.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 brickdoctor

...aaaannnd he just walked out on us. Packed his bags and left. I'm not really too upset about it but my mom is crying on and off now. :( At least I tried to stop it. My concious is at rest. Don't know how we can afford to keep this house on our own, but at least he's got nothing.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

My great grandfather was an alchoholic and nearly beat my grandpa to death. You know what my grandpa did? He ran away and joined the Army.

You can join the Army at 17 with your mother's permission. (I swear im not a recruiter :P )

If life gets too tough for you at home, that's always an option.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

...aaaannnd he just walked out on us. Packed his bags and left. I'm not really too upset about it but my mom is crying on and off now. :( At least I tried to stop it. My concious is at rest. Don't know how we can afford to keep this house on our own, but at least he's got nothing.

brickdoctor
He does have to pay child support......and some states give some form of spousal support.
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brickdoctor

My great grandfather was an alchoholic and nearly beat my grandpa to death. You know what my grandpa did? He ran away and joined the Army.

You can join the Army at 17 with your mother's permission. (I swear im not a recruiter :P )

If life gets too tough for you at home, that's always an option.

TheHighWind

I was considering the military anyways. :P Not until I finish High School though.

Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kelayr
...aaaannnd he just walked out on us. Packed his bags and left. I'm not really too upset about it but my mom is crying on and off now. :( At least I tried to stop it. My concious is at rest. Don't know how we can afford to keep this house on our own, but at least he's got nothing.brickdoctor
For now, be there for your mother and be understanding to her. She needs your support the most at this point.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Get him on some rehab program. If he isn't willing to accept his anger issues, get out of there before he tries to take it out on everyone around him.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

You and your mom should either move out or kick him out. Maybe if he gets help at some point in the future, and stays sober for a good long time, think about giving him another chance.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
@brickdoctor did your dad broke your xbox?
TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts

Looks like you're unofficially the man of the house now. Be there for your mom, ask her if she needs anything, do some chores in the mean time. If you have any idea where your dad is going, or who he's going to, I'd try to get in contact with them and tell them he needs help with his alcoholism without getting into all the details. It's all easier said than done, but it's just my opinion of what you can do in the situation and would like to imagine I had done if I wasn't so young when my dad left my family.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

One thing youcan do is to try and get your Ma to calm down and help her understand that his leaving is better for the both of you. His alcoholism will only degrade and worse would happen if he stayed. He may have gotten physical. Heck, he still may. It would be nothing to come back home and kick in the door and attack either of you in a drunken stupor.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supa_badman
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

LJS9502_basic

I can read, but his father's and his family's problem really should not be showcased on a public forum, considering most people would keep it private, but I guess that's just me. >__>
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I went throught a similar situation only at the beggining of the year, and now my parents are divorced. All I can suggest is that you and whoever else is in your family be there for eachother, and counsoling doesn't hurt either. somethings just happen, it's not your fault but it's just the way things are, and you're not alone with 2 of every 3 marraiges ending in separation or divorce.

I wish you only the best my friend.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WiiMan21
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="supa_badman"]

supa_badman

I can read, but his father's and his family's problem really should not be showcased on a public forum, considering most people would keep it private, but I guess that's just me. >__>

I can understand your concern, people are different and find that either it's easier to talk about it or just keep it in. I tried to keep it in for me, but my ex girlfriend (ex for a reason) literally went around telling everyone at school about it, I had to talk about it. :P
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kelayr
I can read, but his father's and his family's problem really should not be showcased on a public forum, considering most people would keep it private, but I guess that's just me. >__>supa_badman
If sharing his situation with us makes him feel better, I don't see anything wrong with it.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supa_badman

Cause really, if this site can hardly give girl advice, how can the site give advice for dealing with a father's alcoholism? You can't make that jump.

There are many qualified people he could probably talk to, but I wouldn't bet money on here.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
Damn man that's hard having to live in a situation like that.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WiiMan21

Cause really, if this site can hardly give girl advice, how can the site give advice for dealing with a father's alcoholism? You can't make that jump.

There are many qualified people he could probably talk to, but I wouldn't bet money on here.

supa_badman
He's doing nothing wrong, and you insulting other peoples advice with you doing nothing more than worse is not helping.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kelayr
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]Cause really, if this site can hardly give girl advice, how can the site give advice for dealing with a father's alcoholism? You can't make that jump. There are many qualified people he could probably talk to, but I wouldn't bet money on here.

Sometimes, when you want to talk about something or share something with other people, it doesn't matter who you talk to - just the act of letting it out can be comforting. It couldn't hurt to see other people's viewpoints on the situation either, and there could be people in similar situations who could share their experiences as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="supa_badman"]

supa_badman

Some people do like to keep it private....yourself for example...and obviously in the case of the TC...not.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

supa_badman
I lived with an addict...so yeah.....I can give advice. And others have as well I'm sure.
notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

Alcohol, the number one maker and destroyer of families. Just try to get him away from alcohol, rehab could help too.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
oh man sucky situation dude :( . Maybe you could try more to convince your mom that it's a good idea to leave ?
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

My parents just divorced recently... Alcoholism in the house is not good- and he either needs to ditch it, or things will never get any better. But this is really between Him/the bottle/Mom. I feel for you man, it doesn't feel good coming from a broken home, and I hope it works out for you.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

You should tell your mom to change the locks on the door that way he won't come back and try to raid the house of any values he feels entitled to. For now, you should just be there for your mom since now she'll pretty much be a single parent if your dad is gone for good.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

You should tell your mom to change the locks on the door that way he won't come back and try to raid the house of any values he feels entitled to. For now, you should just be there for your mom since now she'll pretty much be a single parent if your dad is gone for good.

soulless4now
Yep...the locks should be changed.