This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigbenrfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bigbenrfan99
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

After watching this movie 3 times, I finally got most of what actually went down. Admittedly, I learned a good amount of details searching the internet after coming up with my own opinion. I think this movie is a real masterpiece in how deep it was, and in how every detail that seemed trivial and confusing in my first and second viewings started to make a lot of sense. Has anyone else here seen this movie? What are your thoughts on it?

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

I watched it and all I took away from it was boobies.

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Naomi Watts.

:oops:

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
It was ok, it can be pretty deep if you check out the posters on imdb
swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts

I hate that road. You always get stuck behind some slow moving car with nowhere to pass.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
It was probably the most confusing movie I've ever seen, but a good one once you figure out what actually happened.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I've watched it a few times. It's as deep as many of Nostradamus' predictions, meaning, it's as deep as you want it to be. I don't care for it.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
It's an amazing movie. First time I saw the film, I was clueless, but second time I saw it things were really cleared up for me. It's really one of those thinking films that not even the brightest of souls will understand fully on the first go.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
One of my favourite movies.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
Fantastic movie, though I had no ****ing clue as to what was going on until I watched it the second time.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
It's always hard for me to choose which is Lynch's best film: Mulholland Dr or Lost Highway......... Awesome movie though. :)
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

My small mind couldn't comprehend the movie, but none the less, I wanted to jump through the screen when both those very hot scenes took place! Thanks for the wood David!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8783 Posts

After watching this movie 3 times, I finally got most of what actually went down. Admittedly, I learned a good amount of details searching the internet after coming up with my own opinion. I think this movie is a real masterpiece in how deep it was, and in how every detail that seemed trivial and confusing in my first and second viewings started to make a lot of sense. Has anyone else here seen this movie? What are your thoughts on it?

bigbenrfan99
I've seen it many times and completely agree with you. It is a masterpiece.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEVILinIRON

It's always hard for me to choose which is Lynch's best film: Mulholland Dr or Lost Highway......... Awesome movie though. :)Lockedge
I like both. But since I understand the reason for the switch in Mulholland Drive and I don't see the reason for the switch in Lost Highway, Mulholland is better. Granted I have only seen Lost Highway twice.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

All I know about this movie is that it helped confirm I was a lesbian.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]It's always hard for me to choose which is Lynch's best film: Mulholland Dr or Lost Highway......... Awesome movie though. :)DEVILinIRON

I like both. But since I understand the reason for the switch in Mulholland Drive and I don't see the reason for the switch in Lost Highway, Mulholland is better. Granted I have only seen Lost Highway twice.

Lost Highway's switch is more about his grief on his actions forcing himself into an imaginary alter ego...how he wished his life was. You see it eventually fall apart from his realistic desire to have his wife back seeping into his alter reality, forcing all his old doubts and fears to crawl back in, eventually destroying that imaginary world as he's trying to force some kind of success out of it by trying to escape and rid himself of it all. At least, that's what I gather from my memory of the movie. Saw it a few years back, haven't been able to find a copy since. But yeah, he felt his wife was cheating on him. That creepy dude was another part of his conscience, his violent alter ego that he ran to in order to solve his problems.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DEVILinIRON
[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"]It's always hard for me to choose which is Lynch's best film: Mulholland Dr or Lost Highway......... Awesome movie though. :)Lockedge

Lost Highway's switch is more about his grief on his actions forcing himself into an imaginary alter ego...how he wished his life was. You see it eventually fall apart from his realistic desire to have his wife back seeping into his alter reality, forcing all his old doubts and fears to crawl back in, eventually destroying that imaginary world as he's trying to force some kind of success out of it by trying to escape and rid himself of it all. At least, that's what I gather from my memory of the movie. Saw it a few years back, haven't been able to find a copy since. But yeah, he felt his wife was cheating on him. That creepy dude was another part of his conscience, his violent alter ego that he ran to in order to solve his problems.

Makes sense. I've been looking for that film for a while too.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheGrayEye

Honestly though, I somewhat enjoyed the film, even though I've only seen it once and definately haven't been able to grasp the whole thing. I enjoyed it more than I did Eraserhead, but neither don't come close to Blue Velvet (personally), which I absolutely loved. Just my opinon.

Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

I remember seeing half of it once late at night. I still have no idea what happened.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DEVILinIRON

Honestly though, I somewhat enjoyed the film, even though I've only seen it once and definately haven't been able to grasp the whole thing. I enjoyed it more than I did Eraserhead, but neither don't come close to Blue Velvet (personally), which I absolutely loved. Just my opinon.

TheGrayEye
The key to understanding it for me, was taking a figurative step back from all the details and looking at the film as a whole. Let's say Mulholland Dr. is a painting on a wall filled with all the details, people and place. It's easy to get lost in all the various pieces. But stepping back and getting an impression of the the painting as a whole helps a lot. It may all be in a jumble, but it's the impression as a whole that really matters. If that makes any sense.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheGrayEye

[QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

DEVILinIRON

The key to understanding it for me, was taking a figurative step back from all the details and looking at the film as a whole. Let's say Mulholland Dr. is a painting on a wall filled with all the details, people and place. It's easy to get lost in all the various pieces. But stepping back and getting an impression of the the painting as a whole helps a lot. It may all be in a jumble, but it's the impression as a whole that really matters. If that makes any sense.

You're basically saying that there is a core theme that does connect and make sense of, all the other subplots, scenes, and such? I think I get what you mean.

Though honestly, I believe with Lynch, he really wants people to feel more of a raw emotion from the experience of watching something and not always knowing what is going on.

At least that is how I felt with Blue Velvet, that is why I thought it was such a fantasic movie. We go on this journey with a (somewhat) normal guy, and experience a strange world filled with crazy events, and almost unintelligible characters- and that in itself is what makes it so engaging, not deciphering every meaning and disorder behind the characters, because that is what takes away from the mystery (as well as the immersion of feeling the way the protagonist probably does).

Though I think for Mulholland Dr., it does seem like it's meant to be more of a puzzle to put together, rather than a certain type of experience, like I believe Blue Velvet to be, but I think that in itself is still great, and I'll probably have to see it again to reflect on the movie more.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I wish Mulholland Drive turned into the TV series it was supposed to be. This movie (at least a big part of it) was actually the pilot of the series. David Lynch usually places characters in his scripts that aren't really explained. Like the Cowboy, the man in the red room, those 2 detectives in the diner or the homeless guy, but I'd like to see more of them.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Now that everyone has figured out Mulholland Drive, go watch "A Single Man." :)
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DEVILinIRON

[QUOTE="DEVILinIRON"][QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

TheGrayEye

You're basically saying that there is a core theme that does connect and make sense of, all the other subplots, scenes, and such? I think I get what you mean.

Though honestly, I believe with Lynch, he really wants people to feel more of a raw emotion from the experience of watching something and not always knowing what is going on.

At least that is how I felt with Blue Velvet, that is why I thought it was such a fantasic movie. We go on this journey with a (somewhat) normal guy, and experience a strange world filled with crazy events, and almost unintelligible characters- and that in itself is what makes it so engaging, not deciphering every meaning and disorder behind the characters, because that is what takes away from the mystery (as well as the immersion of feeling the way the protagonist probably does).

Though I think for Mulholland Dr., it does seem like it's meant to be more of a puzzle to put together, rather than a certain type of experience, like I believe Blue Velvet to be, but I think that in itself is still great, and I'll probably have to see it again to reflect on the movie more.

I don't think what I am saying is in opposition to what you say about Lynch. When you say "raw emotion", that seems to coincide with that impression I was talking about. An impression for me is like, the feeling you get as you view and study a painting. Raw emotion seems to be a good descriptor for that impression.
Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts

I didn't care for it. I read somewhere online that it was originally intended to be a pilot episode for a t.v. series, which would hvae made a lot more sense. There were too many plot lines that went nowhere such as those two gentlemen in the diner discussing one of the individual's dreams.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Easily one of Lynch's best, up there with Blue Velvet.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Now that everyone has figured out Mulholland Drive, go watch "A Single Man." :)Elann2008
I hope you're not comparing them in terms of confusing narrative. u_u Good film nonetheless.