Movies that you thought would be bad,but turned out great.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

white_wolf922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 white_wolf922
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

So last night I was bored and browsing Netfilx and came across Easy A, I'd heard good things about it, but still had my doubts about how good it would be. Anyway I started watching it and it was really good and smart. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I liked the Mark Twain and Hawthorne references. Anyway OT, what movies did you all watch thinking they'd be bad but turned out good or even great

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I THought Natural Born Killers is bad...that it turn addictive
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
The Hangover, when I saw the previews I thought it looked absolutely stupid, ended up be hilarious, one of my favorite comedies.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

The blindside - Looked boring from the trailers, was actually a really great movie.

Sweeny Todd. Hadn't head that much from the previews, g/f roped me into going and told me it was a musical when we got to the movies (I hate musicals). Turned out to be a fantasic movie.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

recently, Water for Elephants. went with the Mrs. i actually liked it a lot

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Finding Nemo. My mom forced me to go with her because my cousin wanted to see it. I went in thinking that I was going to be bored the entire time. I came out with a broken laugh box.
ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Alice in Wonderland 2010. I thought it looked so retarded and like it was trying to be an emo teeny movie. Thankfully it wasn't. I loved that movie.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Thor. I had really low expectations and ended up seeing it on opening day completely by accident, but it was amazing! I'll probably see it again.

aSchizophrenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aSchizophrenic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Kung Fu Panda. I watched it with my little cousin and I thought it was going to be stupid, but I ended up absolutely loving it

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

The Hangover, when I saw the previews I thought it looked absolutely stupid, ended up be hilarious, one of my favorite comedies. hockey73

Me too!

I'm psyched for the sequel, I don't care if it's the same as long as it makes me laugh.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1842 Posts

stardust. boy i'm suprised i liked it. Pretty light humored and entertaining throughout.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

The Talented Mr Ripley.

I remember seeing the trailer way back in the day and thinking that it looked totally lame. But it actually ended up being really great.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
When I first went to see Matrix I was quite uninformed at the time. All I knew about the movie was that it was about hackers. Guess how quickly my bored expression changed?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
Member since 2010 • 629 Posts
oldboy
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

When I first went to see Matrix I was quite uninformed at the time. All I knew about the movie was that it was about hackers. Guess how quickly my bored expression changed?GhoX

I felt the same way about Fight Club. I never exactly thought it was gonna suck, I just didn't know anything about it. Now I know that not everyone agrees on whether or not it was GOOD, but I was surprised at how refreshingly unique and original it was. One thing I can say about that movie is that I've never seen anything else like it, and I never expected that going in.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
Well, first one that comes to mind is Pootie Tang. Thought it would be terrible. Wound up hilarious. I thought Bridesmaids would be atrocious, because it was called a "girl's version of the hangover", and I disliked the hangover(aside from Zach Galifianakis' parts) but it was actually funny about 70% of the time, which made it a pretty solid watch.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
300. I thought it would be just like Troy, a confusing mish-mash of close-ups of sweaty, half-naked men screaming at each-other, while throwing historical accuracy out the window. Instead, it was a surprisingly true to life story, and featured some good dialog. Also, when the two armies charged towards each other, I was pleasantly surprised to NOT see bodies cartwheeling through the air once they clashed. I was also pleasantly surprised by Inglorious Bastards. The commercials led me to expect a mindless action movie, so the opening scene was NOTHING at all like I was expecting.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

stardust. boy i'm suprised i liked it. Pretty light humored and entertaining throughout.

cdragon_88
You should read the book. Usually books just make the movie disappointing, but Stardust is interesting in that the book has more detail in places where the movie has less, and vice-versa. There's a few changes in motivations and endings, but ultimately they compliment each other quite nicely.
james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
I thought White Chicks was going to be bad but then I saw it and I found it to be pretty funny.
no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Most recently, I'd have to say Easy A.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

So last night I was bored and browsing Netfilx and came across Easy A, I'd heard good things about it, but still had my doubts about how good it would be. Anyway I started watching it and it was really good and smart. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I liked the Mark Twain and Hawthorne references. Anyway OT, what movies did you all watch thinking they'd be bad but turned out good or even great

white_wolf922

I really liked Easy A too. And I hated Juno. I thought Emma Stone was way more likeable than Ellen Page, and I usually hate teen-based drama, but it was enjoyable and funny.

The most recent watch that I kind of liked was Angelina Jolie's/Johnny Depp's The Tourist. I knew it got pretty scathing reviews, but I thought the plot was kind of interesting. And with How To Train Your Dragon, I thought it was going to be another unfunny Dreamworks animation... it blew me away. Great film.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Doomsday. Saw a trailer, thought it looked stupid, saw it with a friend and it was awesome (well, compared to my expectations anyway).

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

I accidentally rented Boondock Saints a while back and just got depressed. Stupid name and the cover kind of sucked. The description on the back wasn't very good.

Watched the movie and recommended it to everyone I know. It was simply amazing, go watch it NOW! Don't watch number 2 though.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Hottub Time Machine. That movie is hilarious!

pencru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 pencru
Member since 2009 • 1779 Posts

The lastest Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie; thought it was too kiddy, ended up laughing more than everyone I was with (they all hated the movie.)

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts
I thought White Chicks was going to be bad but then I saw it and I found it to be pretty funny.james007_14
thisx1000
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

I accidentally rented Boondock Saints a while back and just got depressed. Stupid name and the cover kind of sucked. The description on the back wasn't very good.

Watched the movie and recommended it to everyone I know. It was simply amazing, go watch it NOW! Don't watch number 2 though.

F1ame_Shie1d

I'd never heard of it before then my brother recommended it to me. Thought I may as well give it a try

head asplodes

It was pure win.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz I thought they looked awful but I love them both.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Wonder Woman

I never was a fan of her or Superman, but this is hands-down one of my favorite of the DCAU movies. Great animation, story, action, and voice-acting. It made me a fan of the character and I frequently watch it.

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="F1ame_Shie1d"]

October_Tide

I'd never heard of it before then my brother recommended it to me. Thought I may as well give it a try

head asplodes

It was pure win.

It really is too bad they messed up number 2 so badly. But Boondock Saints is one of those movies I make everyone watch and not 1 person has hated it yet.

In fact 1 guy watched it then got the prayers tattooed on his shoulder. Turned into one of his favorite movies ever.

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

Thor. I had really low expectations and ended up seeing it on opening day completely by accident, but it was amazing! I'll probably see it again.

ContraQueen

Yep, I had no interest in watching it but one day I was bored and I wanted to eat some popcorn, so I went and watched Thor 3D thinking it'll be another generic superhero movie, but turn out to be amazing.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

altered states,actually it bored me in the first 30 mins but in the end it became one my fav sci fi flicks of all time.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts

white_wolf922
I actually loved that movie, my girlfriend asked me to take her and it was great. The more I see it, the more I like it Otherwise, I'm not sure, there;s stuff I thought would be garbage and ended up thinking was decent, but great...hmm... When I was younger, the X-MEN movie. I loved the cartoon as a kid and thought they would ruin in...my 10 year old mind was blown
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Resident Evil. thought it was a lot better than what many people were telling me.... Final Fantasy Spirits within. Same thing...
Avatar image for XxxExtremeNJBXx
XxxExtremeNJBXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XxxExtremeNJBXx
Member since 2009 • 636 Posts
  • Spider-Man 3: I didn't really want to see it, and I found it entertaining, funny, and just flat-out amazing as a weekend movie. I think I'd give it 6/10, though.
  • Twilight: I thought this was a complete chick-flick. The first-hour introduced story, characters, etc. Once the 2nd-hour got going, I really started to enjoy it(regardless on how utterly-cheesy it was. By the end, the movie became a guilty pleasure of mine.
  • Mean Girls: This was when I was a lot younger, though. I'm not sure if this still applies, but, I just winded up watching it because my older sister rented it. I thought it was entertaining and kinda funny, although, a lot of the material went-over-my-head, and the language annoyed me as a youngster.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

The 2009 remake of The Crazies. I thought it was going to be another typical horror remake but it turned out to be good.