More than 4 in 10 Americans believe God created humans in their present form less than 10,000 years ago

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

https://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-worldwide-ranking-of-math-science-reading-skills-2016-12

https://news.gallup.com/poll/170822/believe-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- More than four in 10 Americans continue to believe that God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago, a view that has changed little over the past three decades. Half of Americans believe humans evolved, with the majority of these saying God guided the evolutionary process. However, the percentage who say God was not involved is rising.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Dude, you keep making threads but don't add any discussion to it.

Do you have a point? Something to say? Otherwise all you're doing is posting a link to no end.

@qx0d said:

https://www.livescience.com/46123-many-americans-creationists.html

PRINCETON, NJ -- More than four in 10 Americans continue to believe that God created humans in their present form 10,000 years ago, a view that has changed little over the past three decades. Half of Americans believe humans evolved, with the majority of these saying God guided the evolutionary process. However, the percentage who say God was not involved is rising.

I am not surprised by this at all, to be honest. There are a lot of smart, average, and dumb people out there that believe in really stupid things. Creationism is one of those things.

If I am being completely honest, I am simply happy it's less than half that believe that. The US is still way too religious, but thankfully that is changing for the better.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

It really is mind blowing to me that people still believe this religious nonsense... it blows me away.

Atleast those that actually believe the scientific evidence is increasing. Gives me hope.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It shows the figures are going the right way, be interesting for a comparison with those figures from the 70s.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

A very damning indictment on the failure of our education system.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Dude, you keep making threads but don't add any discussion to it.

Do you have a point? Something to say? Otherwise all you're doing is posting a link to no end.

Can we vote to ban him/her/it?

Its almost as bad as a spambot, they just post useless shit and don't post nor contribute.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I used to be quite religious, but even in those days I thought the Bible was meant to be parable and allegory, and Darwin basically got it right. This is nuts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm not a very religious guy, but I don't entirely buy into the idea of evolution. I mean, stuff definitely evolves, but I don't think humans came from monkeys - I think we were our own thing, some different creature.

I almost feel like we aren't "from" here, like we are descended from aliens, or were created by aliens or some intelligent form of life.

I guess maybe I do buy into the idea that we were created by a God, idk. I feel like for all of the faults of humanity, we are definitely not like the others.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I'm not a very religious guy, but I don't entirely buy into the idea of evolution. I mean, stuff definitely evolves, but I don't think humans came from monkeys - I think we were our own thing, some different creature.

I almost feel like we aren't "from" here, like we are descended from aliens, or were created by aliens or some intelligent form of life.

I guess maybe I do buy into the idea that we were created by a God, idk. I feel like for all of the faults of humanity, we are definitely not like the others.

Humans did not come from monkeys...
We had a common ancestor.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MirkoS77

The problem with people that have trouble with evolution is they don't put in in the context of an immense passage of time. Evolution of humans has happened over millions and millions of years. It's not like monkeys just had a human baby, or people popped out of puddles. People can't think outside the scope of their own experience, and that includes the time they've been alive. Therefor God makes sense because it's in the right here and now.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

That's disgusting. Those 4 in 10 Americans should be ashamed of themselves.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:
@Ovirew said:

Humans did not come from monkeys...

We had a common ancestor.

Every time this subject comes up, I like to think about how funny it is that primate was the common ancestor, and how it could have totally been, idunno, a fish-type creature. Or a bird. Like we'd have iphones and junk but we are fish...

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

The problem with people that have trouble with evolution is they don't put in in the context of an immense passage of time. Evolution of humans has happened over millions and millions of years. It's not like monkeys just had a human baby, or people popped out of puddles. People can't think outside the scope of their own experience, and that includes the time they've been alive. Therefor God makes sense because it's in the right here and now.

The same people that are pro evolution when it comes to discussions of Religion tend to be rabidly anti-evolution when it comes to discussion of it's implications and applications in the present day.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Lesser people to worry about than other religions...by a landslide.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@plageus900: uhh, why do you say that?

People evolving from feces-flinging beasts is less disgusting that people being created by a divine being? whaa?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I've got no real issue with that kind of stuff. Creation stories are always kind of wacky. The bit that sounds properly crazy to me is basing a religion on a guy who thought he was hearing the voice of God commanding him to sacrifice his firstborn son on a mountaintop... and went along with it. Are you really supposed to take moral inspiration from behaviour that would sound, to any sane person, like murderous psychosis? Now that's nuts.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Ovirew: feeces flinging ?

Humans arnt above doing that either

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@thehig1: I'm not saying humans are better than other creatures or are even wholly good, I just think we're clearly different than the other living things on this planet. Our ability to communicate, think and create goes well above what every other species on our planet can do. We've completely changed the world, from how it was before us - whether or not we've made any real impact idk, but we've done a lot in a relatively short time.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Ovirew: Its disgusting that humans have to make up a story because they can't face reality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@plageus900: It might not all be made up though. I mean you and I weren't here when humanity became a thing, so all we're doing is making educated guesses about where we came from. For all we know though, maybe life itself was given to us by some supernatural entity.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

So... US education failed about 80% of its population then...?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THUMPTABLE

@Ovirew said:

@plageus900: It might not all be made up though. I mean you and I weren't here when humanity became a thing, so all we're doing is making educated guesses about where we came from. For all we know though, maybe life itself was given to us by some supernatural entity.

Where's the evidence to support this supernatural entity??

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 THUMPTABLE

@horgen said:

So... US education failed about 80% of its population then...?

I thought in some states creation was taught alongside evolution?

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Doesn't surprise me, though, despite growing up around a lot of Mormons I think only one of them believes in the 6000 year thing. He's a fairly intelligent guy, but on that point he's very dogmatic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Not surprising, but thankfully more people are learning otherwise. Part of the problem is that some people don't understand the amount of rigorous testing involved in order for something to become a scientific theory. Due to this, they might believe that evolution is just a theory without understanding the importance of that. Another problem is also the way it's taught in schools, my high school taught me the basic tenets of evolution as proposed by Darwinists. They were wrong on a bunch of things and I didn't even know that until university. It's a messy topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@thehig1: shit throwing is fun

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@THUMPTABLE: Well there is the phenomenon of life. Us being here, existing now. You can tell me what chemicals we're made of, but it's harder to explain why we exist.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@Ovirew said:

@THUMPTABLE: Well there is the phenomenon of life. Us being here, existing now. You can tell me what chemicals we're made of, but it's harder to explain why we exist.

Because that's what chemicals arranged in the specific order of us do. It's a property called 'emergence'.

As for purpose:

Loading Video...

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Damedius said:
@MirkoS77 said:

The same people that are pro evolution when it comes to discussions of Religion tend to be rabidly anti-evolution when it comes to discussion of it's implications and applications in the present day.

lol here comes the 'pro eugenics' guy.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

We've been fighting this religious nonsense forever. It's damning evidence that a large portion of our electorate are functionally handicapped when it comes to critical thinking. These same people probably deny climate change too.

Damedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Damedius
Member since 2010 • 737 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Here comes the "I'm pro-evolution when it comes to arguing religion but anti-evolution when it comes to anything else", guy.

In other words you're just as backwards and anti-science as the people you like to make fun of.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoolaHoopMan

@Damedius said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Here comes the "I'm pro-evolution when it comes to arguing religion but anti-evolution when it comes to anything else", guy.

In other words you're just as backwards and anti-science as the people you like to make fun of.

I'm no more 'pro' evolution than I am pro-gravity. They're both theories supported by thousands of facts and peer review documents. But it's cute that you think you're edgy.

Why don't you do us a favor and present an example of what you're complaining about?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Damedius said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

this doesn't make any sense

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

10,000 years ago??? But it's only 2019... ?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@qx0d said:

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/poll-pits-creationism-against-evolution

And what do you @qx0d think about it?

Because so far all I see is a new thread with absolute zero participation from the person who began it...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

The amount of rudeness and annoyance I've experienced from religious people has been far less than what I've experienced from athiests and progressives over the years, tbh. Really I hear more putting-down of religion than I've ever heard of fire and brimstone.

My view? At the end of the day liberal scientists will do studies and research and walk away with whatever tidbits of affirmation they can to support their agendas. That's their whole game.

Liberals constantly call for proof and reason from Conservatives. But Liberals also strongly support homosexuality. Homosexuality, if you get right down to it, kind of doesn't make sense.

But Liberal scientists will come up with hundreds of reasons why homosexuality might have a purpose. They'll say it has benefits, they'll say at one time women were men but evolved into their current form. But at the end of the day it's, from a scientific standpoint, something that goes against the norm and rationality.

Of course Conservative religious people have their bs, too. To them apparently women were created from a man's rib, I guess?

But I get the impression that science is basically a weapon the Left uses to push suspicions as word.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77

What I don't understand is the cognitive dissonance taken to be able to believe such things.

My father's a scientist; an optical physicist. He holds many patents utilized in all types of satellites today, he's beamed lasers to mirrors on the moon back to Earth, and was one of the lead scientists on the Strategic Defense Initiative (a.k.a. Star Wars) under the Reagan Administration in the eighties when he worked at Lockheed who used to present briefings to top generals at the Department Of Defense.....yet despite all of this, he believes the world is 6,000 years old. He believes in Noah's Ark. He is a creationist.

To this day we argue about this and he always tries to convince me of his convictions. Throughout his life he's tried to correlate his theistic beliefs with his professional background, looking for loopholes or whatever else he can to enable some semblance of compatibility. I witness this personally, it is a struggle for him, especially in his retirement years as he has pursued this. I understand that he’s doing this because he’s reaching the end of his years. I've asked him if he believes the Earth is flat, which fortunately he says no. Yet my father has proven to me that intelligence doesn't hold much bearing on belief, if any at all. You can be incredibly intelligent and still believe the dumbest of things. So in my experience it's really not about intelligence at all. It's what people need to so desperately believe, and intelligence is often not conducive to that, but instead becomes an impediment to it and something that needs to be rationalized away and overcome.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 br0kenrabbit

@Ovirew said:

The amount of rudeness and annoyance I've experienced from religious people has been far less than what I've experienced from athiests and progressives over the years, tbh. Really I hear more putting-down of religion than I've ever heard of fire and brimstone.

Move to the south. If people know you're an atheist you're pretty much ostracized.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk
@MirkoS77 said:

What I don't understand is the cognitive dissonance taken to be able to believe such things.

My father's a scientist; an optical physicist. He holds many patents utilized in all types of satellites today, he's beamed lasers to mirrors on the moon back to Earth, and was one of the lead scientists on the Strategic Defense Initiative (a.k.a. Star Wars) under the Reagan Administration in the eighties when he worked at Lockheed who used to present briefings to top generals at the Department Of Defense.....yet despite all of this, he believes the world is 6,000 years old. He believes in Noah's Ark. He is a creationist.

To this day we argue about this and he always tries to convince me of his convictions. Throughout his life he's tried to correlate his theistic beliefs with his professional background, looking for loopholes or whatever else he can to enable some semblance of compatibility. I witness this personally, it is a struggle for him, especially in his retirement years as he has pursued this. I understand that he’s doing this because he’s reaching the end of his years. I've asked him if he believes the Earth is flat, which fortunately he says no. Yet my father has proven to me that intelligence doesn't hold much bearing on belief, if any at all. You can be incredibly intelligent and still believe the dumbest of things. So in my experience it's really not about intelligence at all. It's what people need to so desperately believe, and intelligence is often not conducive to that, but instead becomes an impediment to it and something that needs to be rationalized away and overcome.

Have you ever considered that for some it´s worse to believe in nothing and that we are simply here and then not here and that everyone you know and "love" throughout your life will end the same way as dust in the wind of time?

I do get why people even highly intelligent people like your dad comes to terms with the fallacies in any religion and chooses to believe in a higher being. The truth is just to hard to believe and it´s safer and comfort for some to think that this life is not the end.

This is also why this so-called poll where 4 out 10 believe in God and earth was created by this "being" is not a sign of people being dumb or ignorant. And as long as they don´t run around and kill people in the name of their "religion" there is nothing society can or should do.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 br0kenrabbit

@Jacanuk said:

Have you ever considered that for some it´s worse to believe in nothing and that we are simply here and then not here and that everyone you know and "love" throughout your life will end the same way as dust in the wind of time?

I'd like to believe in a lot of things, but no matter how hard I believe they aren't so.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

If an omniscient god created man, then why did he make him this stupid? Check and mate.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jacanuk
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Jacanuk said:

I'd like to believe in a lot of things, but no matter how hard I believe they aren't so.

Well, you can look at it this way.

Can you 100% prove that there is nothing else? can you prove that there is not some deity or a higher being? Same goes for your belief, if lets say you believe that you will in the jackpot in the lottery, We can use all the logic and science in the world but no one can prove inconclusively that there is nothing else, so sure you can believe in a lot of things, and while all reason and known science/facts contradicts there being anything else, it´s not 100% and belief is belief, it counts on your own interpretation of things.

Also as Mirko, I know someone who is highly intelligent, who is the geekiest geek I have ever met, but at the same time he is a padre in the Catholic church, he believes in science and work with it every single day, but at the same time he is highly religious and ask him about god and he will tell you there is no shadow of doubt in his mind that he/she/it exists

So yes you can believe in a lot of things but religion is quite different and it´s not like believing you will grow 5 inches overnight or win the huge jackpot in the next state lottery.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MirkoS77

@Jacanuk said:

I do get why people even highly intelligent people like your dad comes to terms with the fallacies in any religion and chooses to believe in a higher being. The truth is just to hard to believe and it´s safer and comfort for some to think that this life is not the end.

This is also why this so-called poll where 4 out 10 believe in God and earth was created by this "being" is not a sign of people being dumb or ignorant. And as long as they don´t run around and kill people in the name of their "religion" there is nothing society can or should do.

There certainly is when they attempt to introduce such nonsense into the classroom.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

There certainly is when they attempt to introduce such nonsense into the classroom.

If they use democratic methods to introduce their nonsense in schools, then no again there is nothing society should do or can do.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't believe that they really believe that. I think its just a tribal thing where they feel obligated to say it. Kinda like how Trump supporters don't care what he does no matter how messed up or Hillary Clinton supporters who can admit no fault no matter what. It is a signal they are sending and feel obligated to send that has been drilled into their minds.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

And what do you @qx0d think about it?

Because so far all I see is a new thread with absolute zero participation from the person who began it...

Its a bot confirmed, just makes useless threads and doesn't participate.

I bet we will see another "news article" thread made by "it" in a few hours.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@Jacanuk said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@Jacanuk said:

Can you 100% prove that there is nothing else? can you prove that there is not some deity or a higher being? Same goes for your belief, if lets say you believe that you will in the jackpot in the lottery, We can use all the logic and science in the world but no one can prove inconclusively that there is nothing else, so sure you can believe in a lot of things, and while all reason and known science/facts contradicts there being anything else, it´s not 100% and belief is belief, it counts on your own interpretation of things.

Don't confuse the multiple definitions of 'belief'. One definition refers to acceptance of tangible facts and the other to trust and faith. Same word, different definitions.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Can you 100% prove that there is nothing else? can you prove that there is not some deity or a higher being?

That's negative proof, which in this case would constitute a fallacy. The other side must prove the positive existence of God.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@MirkoS77 said:

If they use democratic methods to introduce their nonsense in schools, then no again there is nothing society should do or can do.

What bullshittery is this? So a school district filled a majority of creationists could just vote and teach kids patently false ideas then? This is how we dumb down our society.