More men speak like girls, study shows.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for loco145
#1 Posted by loco145 (11959 posts) -

This process is known as "uptalk" or "valleygirl speak" and has in the past been associated with young females, typically from California or Australia.

But now a team says that this way of speaking is becoming more frequent among men.

The findings were presented at the Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in California.

"We found use of uptalk in all of our speakers, despite their diverse backgrounds in socioeconomic status, ethnicity, bilingualism and gender," said Amanda Ritchart, a linguist at the University of California who led the research.

"We believe that uptalk is becoming more prevalent and systematic in its use for the younger generations in Southern California," she added.

Source.

Avatar image for plageus900
#2 Edited by plageus900 (2434 posts) -

@loco145 said:

This process is known as "uptalk" or "valleygirl speak" and has in the past been associated with young females, typically from California or Australia.

But now a team says that this way of speaking is becoming more frequent among men.

The findings were presented at the Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America in California.

"We found use of uptalk in all of our speakers, despite their diverse backgrounds in socioeconomic status, ethnicity, bilingualism and gender," said Amanda Ritchart, a linguist at the University of California who led the research.

"We believe that uptalk is becoming more prevalent and systematic in its use for the younger generations in Southern California," she added.

Source.

SoCal. Well that, like, makes sense. But like, you know, whatever.

Avatar image for Sandulf29
#3 Edited by Sandulf29 (14330 posts) -

TL;DR men are becoming more feminine.

Nothing new found

Avatar image for bobaban
#4 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

23 whole people they analyzed......................

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#5 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5215 posts) -

Like totally. So fetch.

Avatar image for Bikouchu35
#6 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8213 posts) -

I live in socal and is true, especially the generation after me.

Avatar image for Wilfred_Owen
#7 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20964 posts) -

I still won't shave my chest.

Avatar image for Fightingfan
#8 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I always wondered what makes some gays talk "gay".

Like...., I understand you like men....., but....., why are you talking so funny?

Avatar image for Evil_Saluki
#9 Edited by Evil_Saluki (5217 posts) -

Hear it a lot on teenage girls in the UK, normally it goes hand in hand with a certain face expression they carry with them in public places. I say "totally" a lot bu that's the surfer culture in me. Its a word you use lots and hear lots it sticks in your head.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#10 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

"Typically, women are trail-blazers in language change and take up innovative features first, then males start using them later.

"No spoken language ever remains stable and constant change is very much the norm. However, change often causes alarm among people who do not use an innovative feature, and uptalk appears to be another example of this trend," Dr Nance added."

ROFL

So this is what BBC has come to be. It is consistent with the overall decline of the UK nevertheless.

Avatar image for Master_Live
#11 Posted by Master_Live (18821 posts) -

Must be all the gayness.

@GazaAli said:

"Typically, women are trail-blazers in language change and take up innovative features first, then males start using them later.

This is consistent with what my professor has thought us about language communication. So what's so funny?

Avatar image for GazaAli
#12 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Must be all the gayness.

@GazaAli said:

"Typically, women are trail-blazers in language change and take up innovative features first, then males start using them later.

This is consistent with what my professor has thought us about language communication. So what's so funny?

So just because your professor said saw I'm supposed to kneel down to my knees and receive teh infallible wisdom?

Avatar image for 6_Dead_360s
#13 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1673 posts) -

I don't see this effecting my gaydar much, unless mannerisms start changing as well.

@bobaban said:

23 whole people they analyzed......................

THIS

Avatar image for Audacitron
#14 Posted by Audacitron (971 posts) -

When I hear people talking like this, I don't like to judge, but the impression I get is that they aspire to a certain lifestyle and ideals that they've picked up from watching some of the more obnoxious tv shows.

What was that Red Hot Chili Peppers song?

Avatar image for Ace6301
#15 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

@Audacitron said:

When I hear people talking like this, I don't like to judge, but the impression I get is that they aspire to a certain lifestyle and ideals that they've picked up from watching some of the more obnoxious tv shows.

What was that Red Hot Chili Peppers song?

And if you want these kind of dreams its Californication.

Avatar image for Darth1337
#16 Posted by Darth1337 (64 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I always wondered what makes some gays talk "gay".

Like...., I understand you like men....., but....., why are you talking so funny?

The 'gay lisp' that you're referring to is usually just an exaggeration, but for the most part, it is their normal speaking voice, just exaggerated for effect. It helps when seeking another gay man, from what I've heard from my own homosexual friends.

Avatar image for xdude85
#17 Posted by xdude85 (6346 posts) -

What the hell is uptalk and valley girl speak anyway?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
#18 Edited by deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d (7914 posts) -

"No new friends! No new friends!" Is such a girl thing to say

Avatar image for Big_Pecks
#19 Posted by Big_Pecks (5973 posts) -

@bobaban said:

23 whole people they analyzed......................

lol.

Avatar image for cain006
#20 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Um 23 people were analyzed. That's a worthless amount of people.

Avatar image for br0kenrabbit
#21 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15217 posts) -

People around these parts still talk like hicks.

"Ya'll ain't frum round here, are yuns?"

Avatar image for Obarna
#22 Edited by Obarna (29 posts) -

I talk like a valley girl. I have no regrets.

Avatar image for branketra
#23 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Uptalk is incorrect grammar and the same can be said for "valley girl speak." All I got from this is people are talking improperly more.

Avatar image for dominer
#24 Posted by dominer (3316 posts) -

Guys are getting more and more feminine, not really a surprise.

Avatar image for Dogswithguns
#25 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

What's wrong with that... ?!

Avatar image for eterpr0x
#26 Posted by EterPr0x (25 posts) -

It's that damn Glee show.

Avatar image for junglist101
#27 Posted by junglist101 (5517 posts) -

@xdude85 said:

What the hell is uptalk and valley girl speak anyway?

Like, oh my god. This guy like totally doesn't know what "Valley Girl Speak" is. That is like so not cool.

Avatar image for OmitName
#28 Posted by OmitName (766 posts) -
@junglist101 said:

@xdude85 said:

What the hell is uptalk and valley girl speak anyway?

Like, oh my god. This guy like totally doesn't know what "Valley Girl Speak" is. That is like so not cool.

thankfully i rarely encounter that manner of nonsense lately. to me uptalk is people awkwardly forcing speaking the lazy way they do in texts and facebook. it urks me. it wouldnt be so bad if anyone could sell it at all. alas it is always shudderingly awkward and unfailingly forced. no matter who tries it, it will always come off like an old white lady trying too hard to be cool. even those very close to me are guilty of this. i wish i knew how to express how bad for people this seems to be.

for example

Avatar image for KalDurenik
#29 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

How do girls "speak"? Im confused :(