MORE bad Star Wars news: Boba Fett film not happening + Mandalorian TV show crew get robbed

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Comic Book Resources

The proposed Boba Fett stand-alone movie is officially dead.

Film journalist Erick Weber revealed the cancellation in a Twitter post, reporting that “Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed to me Boba Fett movie is 100% dead, 100% focusing on THE MANDALORIAN.” With the news coming straight from the head of Lucasfilm, it seems likely that Boba Fett as a stand-alone feature film won’t be revisited anytime soon.

One of the many spinoff films announced by Disney meant to expand the Star Wars universe, Boba Fett‘s future was rendered uncertain after Solo: A Star Wars Story‘s lackluster box office performance. Although there had been no formal announcements made about the status of the film, directors like James Mangold (Logan) have denied their involvement in the project.

Meanwhile, The Mandalorian television series is currently in production. The series, created Jon Favreau (The Jungle Book), centers around a lone gunslinger on the planet of Mandalore (a planet last seen in Star Wars: Rebels) after the fall of the Empire.

Favreau will serve as the executive producer on the project, as well as writing the scripts for the first season. Dave Filoni (Star Wars Rebels) will direct the first episode of the show, with future episodes directed by Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates) and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

The Mandalorian comes to the Disney streaming service in 2019.

And yeah... about that Mandalorian show...

Screen Rant

The Manhattan Beach Police Department is investigating a theft from the set of The Mandalorian. In the same year the Star Wars franchise wraps up the iconic Skywalker saga on the big screen, the property will make its first foray into live-action television. Iron Man and Jungle Book director Jon Favreau is spearheading the series, which will be an exclusive for Disney's upcoming streaming service, Disney Play. Favreau is serving as executive producer, while heavy-hitters like Taika Waititi and Bryce Dallas Howard direct episodes.

The Mandalorian is currently in production, and as has become par for the course for Lucasfilm, details remain firmly under wraps. There haven't even been any official casting announcements, with rumors about Pedro Pascal the only information to come out on that front. As a result, fans have had to check out leaked set photos to try to discover what they can while they wait for actual marketing materials. However, some weren't as patient as others and decided to get an up close look at the Mandalorian set - bringing home a souvenir in the process.

The Blast reports The Mandalorian was victim to a theft, which allegedly involved "a bunch of expensive equipment." In particular, the camera department is the area of interest, and the creative team is concerned "sensitive information" on a memory card might be out in the open. The investigation is currently underway.

Speculation is the robbery took place during the night "while the set was dark," but this is still an incredible development. Sets for high-profile productions like Star Wars are renowned for their levels of secrecy and tight security, so it's surprising equipment was whisked away. Of course, it's possible this was an inside job and a member of the crew ran off with the materials after wrapping up a work day, so it'll be interesting to see what the results of the investigation are. Needless to say, The Mandalorian will be upping their levels of surveillance to ensure something like this does not happen again during the remainder of filming.

An argument can be made Lucasfilm would have been better off if props went missing. Whatever that "sensitive information" is, it's bound to include spoilers for The Mandalorian. As mentioned above, Lucasfilm - even for them - has been extremely tight-knit when it comes to unveiling details, only releasing a vague synopsis and a single still image. They obviously have a very deliberate strategy for promotion, and a stolen memory card could throw a monkey wrench in those plans. It may only be a matter of time before its contents appear online, where they can be downloaded and dissected by eager fans before Disney pulls it. Perhaps to get the jump on a leak, Lucasfilm will doll out some more Mandalorian materials in the near future.

Man, Star Wars is in a f***ed state, who knew the dislike in Last Jedi and Solo could be THAT unhinged.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Less Star Wars, not a bad thing

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@nintendoboy16: still kinda hoping for an Obi Wan movie set after revenge of the sith. But I dunno. Disney Star Wars really let me down.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Clones Wars is back, don't give to much of a shit about the rest.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

@vaidream45: Same here. I'd be really excited for an Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGregor back in the role. A Boba Fett one would also be kinda interesting. But we may not see those at all because for some reason they decided to make a movie about a young Han Solo, that nobody really wanted to see, and well... failed.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

What I learned from Rogue One and Solo is that the Star Wars universe is much less charismatic and interesting without the force.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They tried to do too much too quickly.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendoboy16
@todddow said:

What I learned from Rogue One and Solo is that the Star Wars universe is much less charismatic and interesting without the force.

The old EU had stories that hardly involved the force and they ended up being pretty good. And Rogue One ends up being Disney's best Star Wars film by adding a little more grey into it (ex: Rebels actually doing some slimy actions).

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

If you are a Star Wars fan, you should be comforted to know these are being done for the best.

Star Wars is supposed to stand strong as its own entity, not a franchise that's riding off the success of another franchise (Marvel). That was a mistake to do so.

That was its greatest mistake. I'm pretty sure Kennedy observed the formula that's clearly working for Marvel and thought she could emulate it. WRONG. Star Wars is not Marvel, and Marvel is not Star Wars. I know both franchises are owned by Disney, but that does not mean they should be run the same way, people need to get that out of their heads. Star Wars fans need to stop spiting Marvel with "well how does Marvel get away with pumping three movies in one year?" -Clearly there's a sign to anyone that makes these assertions simply don't understand how either of these franchises work according to their own natures.

Star Wars worked best when there was several years between each episode to build hype. The attempt to make annual entries only over-saturated the market that made things less excitable for fans. Hopefully with the cancellations with a selection of entries will only help take things back to how they used to be, and maybe then the franchise will thrive again.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

So sad.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendoboy16
@jaydan said:

If you are a Star Wars fan, you should be comforted to know these are being done for the best.

So, theft (and I mean actual theft) of work is good because "gotta stop that Star Wars milk?" WTF?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Why is less Star Wars are a bad thing?

Solo was a crap movie and clearly, Disney has seen the light and seen that the market is saturated and not every character in it is worth making a movie about.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I like how they credit Jon Favreau as "Jungle Book" and not, I don't know, freaking Iron Man (director).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@todddow said:

The old EU had stories that hardly involved the force and they ended up being pretty good. And Rogue One ends up being Disney's best Star Wars film by adding a little more grey into it (ex: Rebels actually doing some slimy actions).

Agree. Rogue One was pretty damn epic.

I do enjoy the movies with force and jedi and sith, but tbh it's really nice to see Star Wars movies without the Skywalkers, too.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@jaydan said:

So, theft (and I mean actual theft) of work is good because "gotta stop that Star Wars milk?" WTF?

My post has zero correlation towards your bits regarding a theft within the production for the TV show. Read my post again and give a proper response before shoehorning your theft jumbo again. I am more concerned about the state of the Star Wars franchise and how it's become over-saturated with releases that's caused it to suffer dwindling appeal towards audiences over recent years.

frogo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frogo0
Member since 2016 • 91 Posts

yes

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Less Star Wars, not a bad thing

No more star wars is even better.

At this point, they should let it die with what little dignity is has left.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit  Online
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Star Wars is going to become less of a movie blockbuster franchise and more just a fancy property to move Disney Streaming. Mark my words.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Star Wars is going to become less of a movie blockbuster franchise and more just a fancy property to move Disney Streaming. Mark my words.

That's a given. Between that and Marvel, they'd be foolish not to.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Less Star Wars isn't necessarily bad.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#21 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

My care level has gone down really, really fast. I didn't get get TFA and why people were so jazzed by it, and then I realized it was just bad after I saw TLJ. Glad I didn't pay for that ticket. What a mess.

We're in an age where misplaced angst and production values can mask the turd hiding inside.

Baron_Machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Baron_Machina
Member since 2017 • 273 Posts

Honestly, I've lost all hope and interest for this franchise. If a Star Wars movie, ANY STAR WARS MOVIE, has to rely on DVD/Blue Ray sales just to break even, then what else is there to say about how far its fallen?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@todddow: What, those two movies are widely accepted as the best of the newer films. Both are great, force or no force.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@vfighter: There are movies that are well made and technically great but fall short entertainment-wise all the time. Especially for each individual watching them.