Mom sues after getting arrested for supposely not supervising her kids playing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

Link

Guess the neighbor didn't see her somehow if the mom was watching them.

Allowing your kids to play on scooters outside the house on a quiet street seems innocent--and common--enough. A Texas mom was arrested and spent the night in jail after a neighbor complained that the children were unsupervised.

The parent, Tammy Cooper, disputes the "humiliating" charge, saying she was watching the kids, ages 6 and 9, the whole time from a lawn chair.

But police took the neighbor at her word, and a few hours after the call, arrested Cooper for child endangerment. Cooper told KPRC that the arresting officer told her, "We're here for you."

The accused parent spent the night behind bars. "Orange jump suit, in a cell, slammed the door, for 18 hours," she said.

Cooper is suing the La Porte Police Department, the officer, and the neighbor who made the call. In a statement, the police department said it was "confident of the known actions of the officers on the scene that evening." The neighbor had no comment.

#2 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
#3 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

Link

Allowing your kids to play on scooters outside the house on a quiet street seems innocent--and common--enough. A Texas mom was arrested and spent the night in jail after a neighbor complained that the children were unsupervised.

The parent, Tammy Cooper, disputes the "humiliating" charge, saying she was watching the kids, ages 6 and 9, the whole time from a lawn chair.

But police took the neighbor at her word, and a few hours after the call, arrested Cooper for child endangerment. Cooper told KPRC that the arresting officer told her, "We're here for you."

The accused parent spent the night behind bars. "Orange jump suit, in a cell, slammed the door, for 18 hours," she said.

Cooper is suing the La Porte Police Department, the officer, and the neighbor who made the call. In a statement, the police department said it was "confident of the known actions of the officers on the scene that evening." The neighbor had no comment.

Wanderer5
That neighbor sounds like a complete a$$hole.. What ever happened to walking over and knocking on their door?
#4 Posted by JML897 (33134 posts) -
That neighbor seems like the worst person ever.
#5 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I was going to ask why they needed to be supervised in a neighborhood, but I see one was only 6. Didn't know you could be arrested for that though. That neighborhood sounds like it's full of busybodies like mine is.

#6 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30033 posts) -

Damn, good for her. She's gonna be make bank off this lawsuit. If anything I'd thank her neighbour.

#7 Posted by IdioticIcarus (2167 posts) -

I didn't know you could be arrested for that, either.

#8 Posted by Wanderer5 (25727 posts) -

That neighbor sounds like a complete a$$hole.. What ever happened to walking over and knocking on their door?sSubZerOo

Yeah why not talk to the mother directly, instead of wasting the police's time.>.>

#9 Posted by ScorpionTroll (810 posts) -

That's all kinds of stupid, right there.

#10 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -
Oh please, the park I live in has 5 year olds running around at 2am half the time. =P
#11 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] That neighbor sounds like a complete a$$hole.. What ever happened to walking over and knocking on their door?Wanderer5

Yeah why not talk to the mother directly, instead of wasting the police's time.>.>

Probably one of those old hags that like to call the police every chance they get on their neighbors..
#12 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

Link

sSubZerOo

That neighbor sounds like a complete a$$hole.. What ever happened to walking over and knocking on their door?

I got in trouble in my own neighborhood and put up on the neighborhood watch just for going for a walk. Some lunatic woman had been following me when I go for my walks and she thought I was breaking into homes...in my own neighborhood. After she reported me, she refused to meet me in person. Someone people are just busy bodies looking for trouble. :lol:

#13 Posted by Perfect_Blue (30033 posts) -

I got in trouble in my own neighborhood and put up on the neighborhood watch just for going for a walk. Some lunatic woman had been following me when I go for my walks and she thought I was breaking into homes...in my own neighborhood. After she reported me, she refused to meet me in person. Someone people are just busy bodies looking for trouble. :lol:

Pirate700

Were you wielding a bag of skittles and wearing a hood?

#14 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Aljosa23

Were you wielding a bag of skittles and wearing a hood?

Maybe he just looks like a rabble-rouser.
#16 Posted by Wasdie (53489 posts) -

I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.Fightingfan

Our justice system sucks.

I'm usually against lawsuits but this case is a clear candidate for a big ol' lawsuit on the city and the neighbor.

#17 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.Wasdie

.. That and it took place in Texas..
#18 Posted by sonicare (55457 posts) -

There's got to be more to it than that.

#19 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

sonicare

Agreed. I don't doubt there was some stupid neighbor that called the cops but I find it hard to believe this woman was booked into custody because she let her kids play outside. Something tells me the police went to talk to her, and as often happens when people are approached by the police, she went nuts.

#20 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -
Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.
#21 Posted by MrGeezer (59147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.Wasdie

I'm usually against lawsuits but this case is a clear candidate for a big ol' lawsuit on the city and the neighbor.

I don't see why the neighbor should be included. All they did was call the cops. Ultimately it's completely on the cops. They should have looked at the situation and then gone on their way. It's hard to blame the nieghbor for the arrest.
#22 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.MrGeezer

I don't see why the neighbor should be included. All they did was call the cops. Ultimately it's completely on the cops. They should have looked at the situation and then gone on their way. It's hard to blame the nieghbor for the arrest.

Pretty much. You can't sue someone for calling the cops.

#23 Posted by bnarmz (1372 posts) -
there has to be more to this story. If not, than we are all in trouble. It seems like you can get arrested for anything these days. Since when did accusations get you put in jail? oh wait...
#24 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Pirate700

Agreed. I don't doubt there was some stupid neighbor that called the cops but I find it hard to believe this woman was booked into custody because she let her kids play outside. Something tells me the police went to talk to her, and as often happens when people are approached by the police, she went nuts.

I called the cops on the druggie cousin a few times, boy did he freak out.
#25 Posted by MrGeezer (59147 posts) -
Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.GazaAli
I can't believe people really want the neighbor to get "owned". Maybe the neighbor just didn't see the mom sitting in a lawn chair, or maybe the neighbor was just trying to be an ass. I don't think it matters. The bottom line is that she reported kids doing dangerous behavior while unsupervised. What happens the next time someone encounters a legitimate case of kids being in danger? Do we want them to NOT call the cops because they're afraid of getting sued? Sue the police department, fine. They never should have arrested the mother just based on the neighbor's report. But it's sort of BS to blame the neighbor.
#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162175 posts) -
She can sue the police department and the neighbor then....
#27 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.MrGeezer
I can't believe people really want the neighbor to get "owned". Maybe the neighbor just didn't see the mom sitting in a lawn chair, or maybe the neighbor was just trying to be an ass. I don't think it matters. The bottom line is that she reported kids doing dangerous behavior while unsupervised. What happens the next time someone encounters a legitimate case of kids being in danger? Do we want them to NOT call the cops because they're afraid of getting sued? Sue the police department, fine. They never should have arrested the mother just based on the neighbor's report. But it's sort of BS to blame the neighbor.

If that neighbor was so concerned about the well being of his/her neighbor's kids, he/she could have like...you know, talk to her about it, knock on the door, ring the bell, etc etc. To me the neighbor sounds like a self-righteous ass.
#28 Posted by MrGeezer (59147 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"] If that neighbor was so concerned about the well being of his/her neighbor's kids, he/she could have like...you know, talk to her about it, knock on the door, ring the bell, etc etc. To me the neighbor sounds like a self-righteous ass.

That's completely irrelevant dude. Maybe someone doesn't want to knock on the parents' door because they know that they're hostile people. Maybe they're hesitant to do that because...if they end up having to call the cops anyway, then the parents will obviously know who snitched on them. One sees a situation that looks like it warrants police intervention, one shouldn't have to go check out the situation first before calling the cops. It's the police's job to check these sorts of situations out and make arrests when necessary, not the neighbor's job. If you see your neighbors putting their kids in a dangerous situation, you should never be required to personally confront them before calling the police. There are any number of reasons why a person might not want to do that, and failing to do that shouldn't mean "well, I guess I shouldn't call the police and report this." The bottom line is that is were the POLICE, not the neighbor who assessed the situation and decided it warranted arresting the woman.
#29 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.GazaAli

People say sh-t like this and then wonder why cops are a-sholes?

If you treat them like pieces of sh-t they are going to act like pieces of sh-t.

#30 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.C2N2

If you treat them like pieces of sh-t they are going to act like pieces of sh-t.

The charges were dropped, and seeing the neighbor... Yeah you can tell she was just in for trouble. I hope this woman wins hard.

#31 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Link

Wanderer5

Police officers should do something different than arrest a mother for what a neighbor says about her.

#32 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.MrGeezer

The neighbors could go knock on the door... before calling the police...
#33 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
The neighbour needs a life, why was the neighbour watching the children anyway? Kinda creepy if you ask me.
#34 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
We had a lot of neighbors like that in 1940-1945. Sorry M. Godwin. And her being arrested for that is, of course , a gotspe, so all luck and wishes to her in this case.
#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162175 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] If that neighbor was so concerned about the well being of his/her neighbor's kids, he/she could have like...you know, talk to her about it, knock on the door, ring the bell, etc etc. To me the neighbor sounds like a self-righteous ass.

That's completely irrelevant dude. Maybe someone doesn't want to knock on the parents' door because they know that they're hostile people. Maybe they're hesitant to do that because...if they end up having to call the cops anyway, then the parents will obviously know who snitched on them. One sees a situation that looks like it warrants police intervention, one shouldn't have to go check out the situation first before calling the cops. It's the police's job to check these sorts of situations out and make arrests when necessary, not the neighbor's job. If you see your neighbors putting their kids in a dangerous situation, you should never be required to personally confront them before calling the police. There are any number of reasons why a person might not want to do that, and failing to do that shouldn't mean "well, I guess I shouldn't call the police and report this." The bottom line is that is were the POLICE, not the neighbor who assessed the situation and decided it warranted arresting the woman.

If she doesn't know what's going on then she should mine her own business now shouldn't she. And the police should NOT have taken the neighbor at her word without any investigation.
#36 Posted by N30F3N1X (8627 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.C2N2

Ironic that you say sh!t like this when in fact the cops are the ones who started being a-holes ;)

#37 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Hope she wins, would be major ownage for the cvnt neighbor and retarded police department.N30F3N1X

Ironic that you say sh!t like this when in fact the cops are the ones who started being a-holes ;)

Actually we allow them to become a-holes by electing politicians who are "tough" on crime when really all they do is lower standards and create a bunch of asinine zero tolerance laws.

That said, her arrest was unwarranted and should never have happened assuming the story was true and not leaving any important details out.

#38 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="C2N2"]

leviathan91

Actually we allow them to become a-holes by electing politicians who are "tough" on crime when really all they do is lower standards and create a bunch of asinine zero tolerance laws.

That said, her arrest was unwarranted and should never have happened assuming the story was true and not leaving any important details out.

Quoted for truth, never thought about why some laws are SERIOUS BS!

#39 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -
I would sue. And I'd try to sue the neighbor for defamation of character or slander or something. That is BS. As I'm sure everyone 20 and older is thinking, "back in my day", you got shoved outside at dawn as soon as you were finished your froot loops and didn't come in until it was dark and dinner was on the table. Parents sitting in the front yard while you played in a suburban neighborhood was helicopter parenting.
#40 Posted by Stesilaus (4999 posts) -

I don't know how in America you can press chargers on someone with no proof.Fightingfan

Whenver American kiddies are deemed to have been wronged or endangered, the standard becomes "Guilty until proven innocent".

#41 Posted by tocool340 (21134 posts) -
Oh please, the park I live in has 5 year olds running around at 2am half the time. =PAllicrombie
*Sigh* sadly, this.I've seen kids around that age hanging around parks without a single parent around....
#42 Posted by Chutebox (43258 posts) -

A woman in New York is charging parents for not watching their kids play in a park.

#43 Posted by soulless4now (41388 posts) -
Oh please, the park I live in has 5 year olds running around at 2am half the time. =PAllicrombie
Sounds normal since children are out of control nowadays. >.>
#44 Posted by MrGeezer (59147 posts) -
[QUOTE="jeremiah06"] The neighbors could go knock on the door... before calling the police...

Yeah...and if I think my next door neighbor is running a crackhouse, I could go personally investigate before calling the cops. If it sounds like gunshots were being fired in my neighbor's home, I could go investigate before calling the cops (for all I know, they just had the TV turned up too load). Or...I could call the cops and let them do that, since that's their job. Here's the thing...this just amounts to "neighbor reported crime, cop showed up in response to the report, failed to correctly assess whether or not a crime had been committed, and arrested an innocent person anyway." EVERYTHING except for the "neighbor reported a crime" part is ALL on the cops. The role of the neighbor begins and ends at reporting a crime. And...they're supposed to get sued for that? Really? If I think I see a crime in progress, am I really supposed to hold off reporting it to the authorities until I've done my own personal investigation? Seriously...this is a real question. If I suspect that I've seen a crime, am I really supposed to hold off on calling the cops until I've investigated matters further? Or...should I just call the cops, and then let them do THEIR job? Does it matter what the crime is? If I see a dude acting suspicious and then leaving a backpack in a crowded bus station, am I supposed to open the ****ing bag up to determine whether or not it's a bomb before I call the cops? Or do I just call the cops and then let them do their job? Yes, the neighbor could have knocked on the door before calling police. But you know what? The police could have determined if a crime had actually been committed before arresting the woman. The woman isn't suing because she had to talk to a cop, she's suing for being wrongfully arrested. And THAT is all on the cops, not on the neighbor.
#45 Posted by MrGeezer (59147 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] If that neighbor was so concerned about the well being of his/her neighbor's kids, he/she could have like...you know, talk to her about it, knock on the door, ring the bell, etc etc. To me the neighbor sounds like a self-righteous ass.

If she doesn't know what's going on then she should mine her own business now shouldn't she. And the police should NOT have taken the neighbor at her word without any investigation.

If I see someone act really suspicious in a crowded bus station, and then leave a bag that could contain a bomb, am I supposed to just "mind my own business" and not report that to someone? It's not her freaking job to absolutely positively determine what is going on. If you or I or anyone else thinks that we've witnessed a crime, it's not our job to make 100% sure of that before notifying the authorities. People who are not in law enforcement should NOT be launching independent investigations about crimes before calling the police, we're supposed to call the police and then let THEM investigate that $***.
#46 Posted by The__Kraken (858 posts) -

I did not realize that not supervising young children while they play outside was a crime. I guess most parents around here are in need of being arrested...