MLK Day: Are We Living Up to the Dream?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

As I'm sure all of you know, this is the national holiday designated for the celebration of the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. With this also the being the day for the inaguration of Barock Obama for a second term as president, I wanted to pose the question to OT; Have we as a nation lived up to the dream that MLK had so long ago?

I'm aware there is still many forms of racial stigma for not just black americans, but sometimes all other races. That being said I feel like the strides with have made as a nation to improve various things have been huge and continue to grow into the future. So while we have not achieved all the things that MLK's dream represents, slowly we are moving toward a world where men are being judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. I think the most recent examples are the rise of minority QB's like Colin Kaepernik and Robert Griffen III, when people dscuss them, it's mostly about what exeptional athetes they are and almost never is it about race or anything like that.

Another unfortunately negative example would be what has happened with Lance Armstrong and to a lesser extent Rodger Clemens. There was a time in the United States of America where white men like them would have had many people trying to cover up the facts of what was happening with this huge stars in reguards to doping and PED's, but not only as Lance Armstrong been forced to come clean about his activities, Clemens on much more circumstantial evidence is kept from the HoF after arguablely the greatest pitching career in the history of baseball.

So what are your thoughts fellow forum folk, is the future bright when it comes to the melting pot of this great nation or are we still holding on tightly to the shackles of hatred and bigotry?

#2 Posted by PresidentLogan (257 posts) -

I am from the UK so I cannot comment as an American or a someone living in America but this is purely from an outside looking in view so if I am talking BS just ignore me.

At least on the surface it appears you are 'Living up to the Dream, but from what I get from speaking with Americans working over here in the UK or from people who have lived in America. There is still definately an under-current of racisim (some moderate and some still really strong) and bigotry still present in peoples thinking but it is more and more taboo to not speak your mind if it is considered slightly considered racist, hence why it is still probably there just not as spoken about as it used to be.

I think the problem of the 'melting pot' is that while Americans consider themselves Americans many with the linegae still consider themselves African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American and that, not neccesarily negative, always sets invisible lines. Obviously people should be proud of their heritage but like I said, invisible lines and when certain things don't go your way, like jobs in a recession, stuff like affirmative action has got to cause resentment.

Or on the white vs Black issue. Many people say that Obama only got elected because he was black and had the black vote whereby those who Black Americans who would not usually vote did and did for Obama. Now depending on your politcial leanings that has got to rub up any non-democrat the wrong way and blame a certain ethnicity.

Anyway that is my 2 pence and cents.

#3 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Careful logan if you keep adding this much insight and knowledge to topics, people will label you a good poster!:). I agree largely with everything you said and I'll add that at a certain point americans are just going to have to claim to be american for these types of stereotypes to die off. It's because we seperate ourselves based on heritage that we had no control over that we remain so divided. Do black people in the UK call themselfs African-British?

#4 Posted by PresidentLogan (257 posts) -

Not really, most just refer to themselves as black and are quite rightly just want to be called British.

I think the modern divide comes from poverty of the inner cities and the influence of the American Rap Gangster youth culture that inspires the wrong sort of ethnic pride (A white controlled society/government, being poor and black is how 'the man' wants it and there is no way to exacpe it other than the Gangster Life). I know I am making a sweeping ganeralisation but I think it goes back to my earlier comment that when you are at the 'lower end' of society (Working Man/Woman) you do tend to attach to your own ethnicity to either answer all the unfairness or belong and to have an identity. White poor people do it just the same but differently by supporting or sympathising with the British National Party (Our Very Right Wing Party) and blaming having no money or job on the immigrants.

I think I have the answere to a countrys ills - Everyone has a good income to at least live in a nice place, buy nice things! - sadly capitilism is a pyramid scheme and you have to have the mass of the poor at the bottom to make it work. Capitilism however is the best we can do apparantly. I'm in no way advocating Communism as it has been proven not to work in our world but there must be another way (Don't know what it is though)?

#5 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161708 posts) -

I am from the UK so I cannot comment as an American or a someone living in America but this is purely from an outside looking in view so if I am talking BS just ignore me.

At least on the surface it appears you are 'Living up to the Dream, but from what I get from speaking with Americans working over here in the UK or from people who have lived in America. There is still definately an under-current of racisim (some moderate and some still really strong) and bigotry still present in peoples thinking but it is more and more taboo to not speak your mind if it is considered slightly considered racist, hence why it is still probably there just not as spoken about as it used to be.

I think the problem of the 'melting pot' is that while Americans consider themselves Americans many with the linegae still consider themselves African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American and that, not neccesarily negative, always sets invisible lines. Obviously people should be proud of their heritage but like I said, invisible lines and when certain things don't go your way, like jobs in a recession, stuff like affirmative action has got to cause resentment.

Or on the white vs Black issue. Many people say that Obama only got elected because he was black and had the black vote whereby those who Black Americans who would not usually vote did and did for Obama. Now depending on your politcial leanings that has got to rub up any non-democrat the wrong way and blame a certain ethnicity.

PresidentLogan
Right.....you shouldn't have commented.
#6 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -
Not at all. We just have a bunch of closet racists now.
#7 Posted by brucewayne69 (2864 posts) -
I am a specie-ist. I hate koala bears.
#8 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -
I think MLK would be happy to see what America has become. Not too long ago a black man could get killed just for talking to a white girl and the authoritites would not really give a fvck. At least nowadays racism is less prevalent. It's still there and unfortunately it will probably never go away but slowly it disappears. Nowadays a person of any ethical background can do anything they want without too much hassle and kids of all races play together and all that good stuff. America has moved in the right direction when it comes to equality.
#9 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Bigotry is alive and well. It's just that we are less likely to tolerate it (if we recognize it as such, that is) and that the laws are far more egalitarian.
#10 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I think MLK would be disappointed most blacks.

#11 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Fightingfan

Care to elaborate on how you came to this conculsion?

#12 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
not until the "war" on drugs is stopped.
#13 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Yusuke420

Care to elabrate on how you came to this conculsion?

Probably with the profuse use of the Negro in multiple variants in their common vernacular (Mostly speaking about black youth).

I always found it interesting blacks are the demographic that like to refer to each other with a word with roots from repression. I've never heard a Hispanic man call another Hispanic man the derogatory word Spi....(not sure if it can be used here).

#14 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
not until the "war" on drugs is stopped. Rich3232
At least the drugs are winning it.
#15 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Fightingfan

Probably with the profuse on the Negro in multiple variants in their common vernacular (Mostly speak about black youth). I always found it interesting blacks are the demographic that like to refer to each other with a word with roots from repression. I've never heard a Hispanic man call another Hispanic man the derogatory word Spi....(not sure if it can be used here).

Thats just so untrue. Every culture does it. If you think that you simply don't spend much time with Hispanic, Jewish, Filipino, or especially Italian people. They are always throwing out racial slurs at one another. Even gay people for that matter. It's just under a magnifying glass when it comes to black people for some odd reason.
#16 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -

Fightingfan
She deserved it.
#17 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

Fightingfan

Probably with the profuse use of the Negro in multiple variants in their common vernacular (Mostly speaking about black youth).

I always found it interesting blacks are the demographic that like to refer to each other with a word with roots from repression. I've never heard a Hispanic man call another Hispanic man the derogatory word Spi....(not sure if it can be used here).

Yeah he probably wouldn't have been thrilled with that, but among educated blacks this word is thrown around a lot less. Good point you make and I think that members of popular culture should move toward getting rid of it.

That being said it's a totally different context and word if we are being intellectually honest. The word that black people use is more of a slang adjective then a vehicle for racism. I'm sure Dr. King would have been able to see the distinction.

#18 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161708 posts) -
Yeah he probably wouldn't have been thrilled with that, but among educated blacks this word is thrown around a lot less. Good point you make and I think that members of popular culture should move toward getting rid of it.

That being said it's a totally different context and word if we are being intellectually honest. The word that black people use is more of a slang adjective then a vehicle for racism. I'm sure Dr. King would have been able to see the distinction.

Yusuke420
MLK didn't want "dividers" between people.
#19 Posted by TehFuneral (8237 posts) -

We outlived dreamcast thats for sure.

#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161708 posts) -

We outlived dreamcast thats for sure.

TehFuneral
RIP DC.:(
#21 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]Yeah he probably wouldn't have been thrilled with that, but among educated blacks this word is thrown around a lot less. Good point you make and I think that members of popular culture should move toward getting rid of it.

LJS9502_basic

MLK didn't want "dividers" between people.

What are you talking about?

#22 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@FPSfan1985

The Italian derogatory word "Guido" just recently had light shined on it, but it's not commonly used among the majority, simply Americans and maybe a few young ignorant Italians.

The point being there are more blacks using the words that root from repression in their vernacular than any other demographic. Walk into any town in America that has a street named "Martin Luther King Blvd", and you'll see my point exactly. Walk into any southern California or Southern Texas border state and you won't see/hear what I'm talking about.

Hispanics don't use the word "Spick" as a form of greeting at all and unless they're educated on the word(or "Old school") they'll probably have no idea what the word means.

*hopefully I don't get moderate : /

#23 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

@FPSfan1985

The Italian derogatory word "Guido" just recently had light shined on it, but it's not commonly used among the majority, simply Americans and maybe a few young ignorant Italians.

The point being there are more blacks using the words that root from repression in their vernacular than any other demographic. Walk into any town in America that has a street named "Martin Luther King Blvd", and you'll see my point exactly. Walk into any southern California or Southern Texas border state and you won't see/hear what I'm talking about.

Hispanics don't use the word "Spick" as a form of greeting at all and unless they're educated on the word(or "Old school") they'll probably have no idea what the word means.

Fightingfan

And **** isn't commonly used either. But like I said above it has a magnifying glass on it. Mostly due to hip hop culture imo. Walk into the vast majority of black homes and the world simply isn't used.

Mexicans have an entirely different swag. With the whole ese and vato deal. But even still if you hold these words to there historical roots, in the same fashion the word **** is, you find out they have very negative undertones as well.

You have women who call there girl frinds **** and hoes(This happens within every race). You have "bros" who call each other every derogatory name in the book.

Taking words with a negative base value and making them a playful/friendly term is nothing new.

#24 Posted by Drasonak (1515 posts) -

Wasn't Martin Luther King Jr. a communist who beat prostitutes? And didn't he steal that speech from a reverend, who later wrote a book about it? Not to ruin the mood, but I figured now would be a good time to act.

I think blacks have come a long way and such, and maybe the power of his supposed character was a big deal, kind of like a Harvey Dent situation, but I just want to know.

#25 Posted by jeremiah06 (7215 posts) -
[QUOTE="PresidentLogan"]

LJS9502_basic

Whats wrong with his analysis?
#26 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Wasn't Martin Luther King Jr. a communist that beat prostitutes? And didn't he steal that speech from a reverend, who later wrote a book about it? Not to ruin the mood, but I figured now would be a good time to act. I think blacks have come a long way and such, and maybe the power of his supposed character was a big deal, kind of like a Harvey Dent situation, but I just want to know.Drasonak
Where are you getting your false information from?

#27 Posted by Nuck81 (6758 posts) -
Do all Americans have Equal Rights? Ask the Gay Community.
#28 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

I'm sure MLK is looking down and shaking his head that while we've put up a huge statue of him, we're still dealing with labor conflict, racism, sexism and homophobia.

#29 Posted by undergroundLPx (710 posts) -

What dream? The guy was a liar, prostitute addict and a thief.

#30 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

@FPSfan1985

FPSfan1985

And **** isn't commonly used either. But like I said above it has a magnifying glass on it. Mostly due to hip hop culture imo. Walk into the vast majority of black homes and the world simply isn't used.

Mexicans have an entirely different swag. With the whole ese and vato deal. But even still if you hold these words to there historical roots, in the same fashion the word **** is, you find out they have very negative undertones as well.

You have women who call there girl frinds **** and hoes(This happens within every race). You have "bros" who call each other every derogatory name in the book.

Taking words with a negative base value and making them a playful/friendly term is nothing new.

The mean of those words aren't of the same caliber.

I can't interpret what you're trying to say with the "***", but Vato comes from chivato which depending on how it's used can either mean Snitch/Informant, or Courage and Valor. Chivatos is also not a Mexican word, it's Cuban coming from the Cuban revolution, it was used for those who supported Colonel Batista.

Nigg-- comes from negro meaning black; and its sole meaning is to dehumanize the black community.

#31 Posted by Drasonak (1515 posts) -

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Wasn't Martin Luther King Jr. a communist that beat prostitutes? And didn't he steal that speech from a reverend, who later wrote a book about it? Not to ruin the mood, but I figured now would be a good time to act. I think blacks have come a long way and such, and maybe the power of his supposed character was a big deal, kind of like a Harvey Dent situation, but I just want to know.Yusuke420

From Reverend Ralph Abernathy's book "And the Walls Came Tumbling Down." He was one of King's best friends. Would he really lie about that? He is a reverend. He would have to answer to God. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_martin_luther_king.htm
#32 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

undergroundLPx

Citation needed...

#33 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

@FPSfan1985

Fightingfan

The mean of those words aren't of the same caliber.

I can't interpret what you're trying to say with the "***", but Vato comes from chivato which depending on how it's used can either mean Snitch/Informant, or Courage and Valor. Chivatos is also not a Mexican word, it's Cuban coming from the Cuban revolution, it was used for those who supported Colonel Batista.

Nigg-- comes from negro meaning black; and its sole meaning is to dehumanize the black community.

You see this right here is what I'm talking about. It's just a word. Why has so much value been given to it. To the point where even saying it fears people. I just don't get it.

#34 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Wasn't Martin Luther King Jr. a communist that beat prostitutes? And didn't he steal that speech from a reverend, who later wrote a book about it? Not to ruin the mood, but I figured now would be a good time to act. I think blacks have come a long way and such, and maybe the power of his supposed character was a big deal, kind of like a Harvey Dent situation, but I just want to know.Drasonak

From Reverend Ralph Abernathy's book "And the Walls Came Tumbling Down." He was one of King's best friends. Would he really lie about that? He is a reverend. He would have to answer to God. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_martin_luther_king.htm

When has that stopped any liar? The fact of the matter is Dr. King made the speech during the civil rights march on washington. I am asking are we living up to the standards proposed in said speech. This isn't going to devolve into a debate about Dr. King!

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161708 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="PresidentLogan"]

jeremiah06

Whats wrong with his analysis?

For one thing he assumes people still harbor racist thoughts. Well some do...and always will...it's wrong to state that is 'status quo' or 'common'.....many people are not racist, much more than in the past though I wouldn't say everyone back then was racist either. Definitely racists had power but not now. And most people don't label themselves. Sure one knows the ethnic ancestry but that doesn't mean they see themselves as better or different. Most people just go through life with the struggle to work, take care of family/self, and have some relaxation and fun with hobbies/vacation. It's not this grand design he seems to have cooked up in his head as to what it's like over here. Do you differentiate yourself from friends, co-workers, strangers you meet based on your family history? As for Obama.....his race did help him somewhat. He got people out...both "black" and "white" that stood behind him for in some cases his race. That doesn't mean it's the only reason he was elected. The Republicans had put themselves in a bad position. People were ready for change. But that fact that he was elected should show you that above user is a bit ignorant of race in the US. Were the US as he paints it....we'd be coming off having at least had another 4 years of Republicans in office.
#36 Posted by undergroundLPx (710 posts) -

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

Yusuke420

Citation needed...

http://www.worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/MLK.shtml

#37 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

undergroundLPx

Citation needed...

This is all conspiracy crap that has never been brought by any legitimate news media. Also this thread is about the MESSAGE, not the man.

#38 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2174 posts) -

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]Citation needed...

Yusuke420

This is all conspiracy crap that has never been brought by any legitimate news media. Also this thread is about the MESSAGE, not the man.

There are legitimate news media? Since when?
#39 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

undergroundLPx

Citation needed...

When you see [citation needed], post real, researched and supported information, not conspiracy theories.

#40 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

FPSfan1985

Nightline and PBS Newshour are pretty good. Also the BBC!

#41 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="undergroundLPx"]

FPSfan1985

Reuters is decent.

#42 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24599 posts) -

i am anoyyed
i bought a g9x mouse on saturday
and all these delivery companies think they can just take days off
wtf

i also bought a couple of capicators that I needed to replace, and ofc they too are delayed.

#43 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6700 posts) -

undergroundLPx
Stop being stupid please
#44 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
no
#45 Posted by Jd1680a (5958 posts) -
Yes, I think Martin Luther King would be happy to know that all races in the United States have a fair shot of doing almost anything they want to. He would be disappointed how there are too many that seem to take that right for granted.