Mitch McConnell Filibusters his own bill on the Senate floor.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

In an attempt to embarass democrats, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell proposed to vote on raising the nation's debt ceiling -- then filibustered it himself when Democrats took him up on his offer.

McConnell had made a motion for the vote on legislation that would let the president extend the country's borrowing limit on his own. Congress would then have the option to disapprove such hikes, in a fashion similar to one that McConnell first suggested during last year's standoff over the debt ceiling.

Reid objected at first, but told McConnell he thought it might be a good idea. After Senate staff reviewed the proposal, Reid came back to the floor and proposed a straight up-or-down vote on the idea.

McConnell was forced to say no.

:lol: so it has come to this?
This is precisely why we need filibuster reform. How can anyone say that the GOP isn't abusing it at this point?

"I don't know how the Republicans can say they're not abusing the filibuster after what we saw on the floor today, It's somewhat comic, but sad as well, that we've reached the point where Sen. McConnell will not even accept a majority vote on his own measure."
- Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.)

#2 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Still doesn't measure up to Strom Thurmond's filibustering, but a valient attempt.

#3 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

Nice to see McConnell called out on his jacka**ery.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
#4 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4364 posts) -
Luckly like any job there is a HR department that will crack down on this horseplay and make sure these workers earn their pay by working... oh...
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
#5 Posted by chessmaster1989 (30204 posts) -

jimkabrhel
#6 Posted by tagyhag (15874 posts) -
I'd say a senate reform would be better. Bunch of f*cking children.
#7 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3555 posts) -
I'd say a senate reform would be better. Bunch of f*cking children.tagyhag
#8 Posted by Slashless (9525 posts) -

ROFL

is it me or does Mitchy look like a human droppy dog?

droopy-dog.gif

#9 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

ROFL

droopy-dog.gif

Slashless

That's awesome. So true.

#10 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

ROFL

droopy-dog.gif

Slashless

Let's not kid ourselves -- the man is at least half-turtle:

mcconnell_turtle.jpg

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
#11 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4889 posts) -

Republican party is pathetic.

#12 Posted by mattbbpl (14533 posts) -

jimkabrhel
Agreed. To be fair, though, the bill IS stupid and essentially amounts to relieving oneself of all political accountability for doing something that must be done. The difference now appears to be that A) Obama has no more elections to worry about so there's less incentive to tarnish him politically and B) the debt ceiling is going to be used as leverage later.
#13 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

mattbbpl

Agreed. To be fair, though, the bill IS stupid and essentially amounts to relieving oneself of all political accountability for doing something that must be done. The difference now appears to be that A) Obama has no more elections to worry about so there's less incentive to tarnish him politically and B) the debt ceiling is going to be used as leverage later.

I think the latter is the more likely.

#14 Posted by Eliesor (25 posts) -
Republican party is pathetic.
#15 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

ROFL

Slow_Show

Let's not kid ourselves -- the man is at least half-turtle:

mcconnell_turtle.jpg

POLITICIANS-WHO-LOOK-LIKE-DISNEY-large.j

he always reminded me of the turtle from Disney's Robin Hood cartoon.

just like Barney Frank reminded me of Mr Smee from Peter Pan.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwj2YhPWLTQ6qBaHo__o5

Huffington Post did a little thing where they tried matching some of them, kinda funny.

I'm not commenting on the topic at hand, primarily because people have already said the same thing, and it's embarresing that such an abuse of the filibuster is being done.

#16 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

Oh look, McConnell being a giant douche. How surprising.

#17 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

I do hate the fillibuster, but it's poetic justice to see it being used on Reid. Bernie Sanders and some other Democrats brought a vote to amend the fillibuster rules to the floor a while ago and it might have passed if Reid had gotten other Dems to support it.

Oh look, McConnell being a giant douche. How surprising.

Guybrush_3

That too.

#18 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -

Congress is a joke. Get those old bags out of there.

#19 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

I do hate the fillibuster, but it's poetic justice to see it being used on Reid. Bernie Sanders and some other Democrats brought a vote to amend the fillibuster rules to the floor a while ago and it might have passed if Reid had gotten other Dems to support it.

theone86

That makes no sense. The McConnell's filibuster was used on himself not Reid. And it further re-enforces the accusations of Filibuster abuse not justify the need for it.

I've been searching and don't see anyting about the proposed filibuster reform going for a vote today. Last I heard Reid was still lobbying and only needed a simple majority to pass it.

#20 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Blue-Sky

That makes no sense. The McConnell's filibuster was used on himself not Reid. And it further re-enforces the accusations of Filibuster abuse not justify the need for it.

I've been searching and don't see anyting about the proposed filibuster reform going for a vote today. Last I heard Reid was still lobbying and only needed a simple majority to pass it.

Well, Reid was the one who asked for an up or down vote. I'm also not trying to justify the fillibuster. I think it's stupid, but I also think the Democrats should have killed it when they had the chance.

As for the reform itself, it wasn't recent, might've even been before the last mid-terms.

This:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/77479-filibuster-reform-headed-for-senate-floor-faces-uphill-battle

is the bill I'm talking about. It died without support from Democratic party leaders.

#21 Posted by sonicare (55326 posts) -

That takes talent. But in all honestly, I say this nation has to make a choice. There's no easy way out for anyone. If you want robust social programs and services, then you have to pay for them. And by you, I mean YOU. Most nations that have successful programs, have fairly high taxes on everyone. People benefit from great programs so they have to pay out less costs, but they still pay for them. This idea that you can have great benefits and have someone else pay for them isnt going to fly. I say if they want to spend, then let all the tax cuts expire.

#22 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Nice to see the country is still run by kindergartners

#23 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29830 posts) -

And here I thought Republicans would be less stupid after the election.

#24 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

And here I thought Republicans would be less stupid after the election.

Aljosa23

0oEaR.jpg

#25 Posted by Serraph105 (31643 posts) -

So while we all go to work during the day politicians are dealing with the fiscal cliff by trying to make each other look bad in front of the American people while accomplishing nothing and getting paid to do it.

#26 Posted by genfactor (1472 posts) -
McConnell Filibusters his own bill? Maybe he's not doing this to block the business of the US government. It's possible that his chronic filibustering is a type of OCD.
#27 Posted by Serraph105 (31643 posts) -
[QUOTE="genfactor"]McConnell Filibusters his own bill? Maybe he's not doing this to block the business of the US government. It's possible that his chronic filibustering is a type of OCD.

They have had over 380 filibusters since 2008, I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time the GOP has blocked their own crap. Meanwhile they refuse a movement in the Senate to change the filibuster so that they have to stand on the Senate floor to state why they are filibustering a bill. They want to block legislation, they just don't want to have to explain to the American people why they are blocking the legislation in the first place.