Mitch McConnell being pushed to resign

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

So Mitch McConnell is being pushed to resign by Roger Villere. Normally I wouldn't think much of this considering the substantial influence McConnell's overall career has given him in the Senate (and in this case I would still bet on McConnell sticking around), however Villere is apparently the VP of the RNC. Not to mention with Boehner resigning next month it feels like anything could happen.

So thoughts on this?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/27/mitch-mcconnell-pushed-resign-senate-majority-lead/#disqus_thread

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Boehner had (possibly) a numbers problem; it was conceivable, but unlikely, that he could've had needed some Democrats to remain as Speaker (which would have been an unattainable situation).

The Senate has always characterize itself as the "grown ups" body of Congress. Aside from Ted Cruz I don't expect anyone else to formally ask Mitch McConnell to resign. Not Rand Paul, not Marco Rubio, not Mike Lee (at least not yet).

Sure, McConnell should heed what happened in the House and take notice, but this is just some dude that nobody cares for blowing up some steam.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Serraph105: you mean the turtle in the Congress?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: The one and only.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts

I think everyone's still in a wait and see mode regarding Boehner's exit. How the power in the House shifts (and in the party at large) will dictate much in the coming months. If anything, this seems to me like someone or some people testing the waters. As someone above mentioned, it seems to have little chance of success.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@The_Last_Ride: The one and only.

They found footage of the election race

Loading Video...

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

To resign just from his position as majority leader, or from his Senate seat entirely? He just go re-elected last year, so I don't see him resigning. Plus the current governor of Kentucky is a Democrat, so if he were to resign and leave a vacancy while Beshear is still governor (and he won't be for long, he's term limited and the election to replace him is this November), then he'd likely be temporarily replaced by a Democrat until the special election is held.