Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

This article lists US companies and subsidiaries that are known to exploit the cheap labor provided by America's increasingly privatized prison system. Some entries are hardly surprising (Walmart, Koch Industries), but others are certain to raise eyebrows (Microsoft, Nintendo of America, Starbucks etc.)

Here's the full list:

• Abbott Laboratories
  • AT&T
  • AutoZone
  • Bank of America
  • Bayer
  • Berkshire Hathaway
  • Cargill
  • Caterpillar
  • Chevron
  • the former Chrysler Group
  • Costco Wholesale
  • John Deere
  • Eddie Bauer
  • Eli Lilly
  • ExxonMobil
  • Fruit of the Loom
  • GEICO
  • GlaxoSmithKline
  • Glaxo Wellcome
  • Hoffmann-La Roche
  • International Paper
  • JanSport
  • Johnson & Johnson
  • Kmart
  • Koch Industries
  • Mary Kay
  • McDonald’s
  • Merck
  • Microsoft
  • Motorola
  • Nintendo of America
  • Pfizer
  • Procter & Gamble
  • Quaker Oats
  • Sarah Lee
  • Sears
  • Shell
  • Sprint
  • Starbucks
  • State Farm Insurance
  • United Airlines
  • UPS
  • Verizon
  • Victoria’s Secret
  • Wal-Mart
  • Wendy’s

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How does one "exploit" people who have a debt to repay to society?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

VS? i'm shocked and or a little turned on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

@Allicrombie said:

VS? i'm shocked and or a little turned on.

Zing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Dem gulags, Eh?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

How is Raytheon not on that list?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

That's a rather general statement, as many people in prison are there for victimless crimes. Also, it's not society that benefits, it's private industries.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Aww poor criminals

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Nintendo would sell their own grandmas to ISIS for 50 yen a head if they could.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:

Nintendo would sell their own grandmas to ISIS for 50 yen a head if they could.

I actually laughed out loud. That was an awesome post.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

If it helps them to get jobs after they get out of prison, then I'm all for it. But really, Starbucks? What do they do, make frappés for the inmates?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Had they mended roads, fixed signs and overall done work that directly benefit the society then I don't think many would object.
Having them used as free labor for private companies however isn't exactly repaying a debt to society.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Exactly. These companies are utilizing the man power in these facilities. I think it's a smart move. It's a hell of a better option than letting these guys rot in there without some contribution to society.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Exactly. These companies are utilizing the man power in these facilities. I think it's a smart move. It's a hell of a better option than letting these guys rot in there without some contribution to society.

The problem is this.. It is a fucking corrupt system.. We have the highest incarceration rate in the west.. In which over half are non violent offenders.. These criminals are not repaying their debts, they are being used for labor by the private sector.. Repaying society is building bridges, cleaning up roads, infastructure stuff that help every one.. These are being used as free labors for the gain of a specific companies profits..

Meanwhile repeat offenders are startling much higher in the United States than other countries.. Then add in the fact how extremely hard it is for a convict to get a decent job with a felony on their record in their life time..

These men and women are not contributing to society directly, they are being exploited for cheap labor by private sectors for their own financial gain.. Then top off the shit Sunday read up on many of the conditions of these privately operated prisons like in Arizona..

Loading Video...

John Oliver has a great segment on just how exactly awful the system is.. In which we are seeing people being fleeced to even going to prison on trivial matters.. How can any one condone or find this shit at all acceptable?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I knew about a lot of the stuff covered in the video but didn't know about the private probation companies involved...that shit is infuriating.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Modern day slavery. Quite shameful considering how often our country likes to take this "anti-slavery" position.

Sony is doing it as well albeit in another country

Sony’s PS4 is made with the blood and tears of unpaid blackmailed student laborers

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168393-sonys-ps4-is-made-with-the-blood-and-tears-of-unpaid-blackmailed-student-laborers

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renevent42

@thebest31406 said:

Modern day slavery. Quite shameful considering how often our country likes to take this "anti-slavery" position.

Sony’s PS4 is made with the blood and tears of unpaid blackmailed student laborers

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168393-sonys-ps4-is-made-with-the-blood-and-tears-of-unpaid-blackmailed-student-laborers

In all likelihood so is the computer you are using now.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

They get paid (not much) and can buy better soap, make phone calls, etc, in prison.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Didn't know so many were for pretty much modern day slavery.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Perhaps even your computer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59d151f079814

@TheHighWind said:

They get paid (not much) and can buy better soap, make phone calls, etc, in prison.

Perhaps you should read up on the conditions of some of these prisons.. Arizona the king of privatization "work camps" has some pretty horrifying stories on conditions.. Lets not forget this shit isn't benefiting society, it is promoting a system in which the private sector is making a killing off of... The prison system has become a horrifying privatized monster that quite literally runs off housing as many prisoners as possible.. Not on actually rehabilitation.. IN fact it is beneficial for these industries for rehabilitation to fail so they can have a steady flow of profits through inmate housing, and the private sector using cheap labor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814

@Master_Live said:

Didn't know so many were for pretty much modern day slavery.

Its pretty obvious isn't it? American culture has turned into blaming the poor and undesirables in society while completely ignoring the companies behind the scenes making billions by taking advantage of the system..

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Master_Live

Do the prisoners get to decide on whether they work or not?

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@TheHighWind said:

Perhaps you should read up on the conditions of some of these prisons.. Arizona the king of privatization "work camps" has some pretty horrifying stories on conditions.. Lets not forget this shit isn't benefiting society, it is promoting a system in which the private sector is making a killing off of... The prison system has become a horrifying privatized monster that quite literally runs off housing as many prisoners as possible.. Not on actually rehabilitation.. IN fact it is beneficial for these industries for rehabilitation to fail so they can have a steady flow of profits through inmate housing, and the private sector using cheap labor.

I actually haven't read up on prisons I just figured they were more like county jails except a little stricter that's all I've heard of prisons.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Renevent42

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Yup, just wanted to make sure you know while you condemn modern day slavery, as a consumer of these products are actively involved in the cycle and perpetuation of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59d151f079814

@TheHighWind said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@TheHighWind said:

I actually haven't read up on prisons I just figured they were more like county jails except a little stricter that's all I've heard of prisons.

Just put it this way.. Sheriff Arpaio has been the target of some 2150 law suits involving things like wrongful prisoner deaths, cruel and unusual punishment.. "50 times as many prison-conditions lawsuits as the New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston jail systems combined." http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2007-12-20/news/inhumanity-has-a-price/

Avatar image for RickySandstorum
RickySandstorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RickySandstorum
Member since 2012 • 95 Posts

"the Former Chrysler Group" - surely they must have some other name than that.

Doesn't Starbucks try to have a "progressive" appeal? I guess that's like Apple complaining about Indiana's RFRA law and yet doing business in China and Saudi Arabia.

I don't know enough about these prison-labor systems to tell if the companies are actually "exploiting" prisoners though.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Yup, just wanted to make sure you know while you condemn modern day slavery, as a consumer of these products are actively involved in the cycle and perpetuation of it.

The same goes for you, as well.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42

So are you a shameful person since you are actively involved in supporting a shameful activity?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

So are you a shameful person since you are actively involved in supporting a shameful activity?

You're referring to my "America" comment. I was referring to the state and its institutions that sanction and subsidize the corporations partaking in this endeavor. I wasn't referring to the American population. Also, I don't agree that you and I are actively involved. If we were involved, we would be part of the decision making process of maintaining or ending the practice. We're not to blame, I don't think, but we do bare responsibility as consumers and as such, we have a responsibility to help dismantle it...together.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Renevent42
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

You're referring to my "America" comment. I was referring to the state and its institutions that sanction and subsidize the corporations partaking in this endeavor. I wasn't referring to the American population. Also, I don't agree that you and I are actively involved. If we were involved, we would be part of the decision making process of maintaining or ending the practice. We're not to blame, I don't think, but we do bare responsibility as consumers and as such, we have a responsibility to help dismantle it...together.

If you know how something is made, and you still use and buy it, you are actively involved. That's like buying ivory tusks and claiming you have no responsibility and aren't actively involved since you didn't actually shoot the elephant.

I'd say the consumer bears a ton of the blame actually. In China for instance it wasn't until demand for shark fin soup (and other shark fin uses) dropped that the poaching of shark fins started to also drop as well.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

If you know how something is made, and you still use and buy it, you are actively involved.

I don't agree that you and I are actively involved.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renevent42
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

If you know how something is made, and you still use and buy it, you are actively involved.

Of course not, then you would have to come to terms with the fact that for all the finger pointing you do that you are part of the reason why it happens in the first place.

Or at the very least, while you have plenty of condemnation to give you certainly don't care enough to stop buying these cheap products that support the practice in the first place. That's pretty active in my eyes.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:
@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

Of course not, then you would have to come to terms with the fact that for all the finger pointing you do that you are part of the reason why it happens in the first place.

"Also, I don't agree that you and I are actively involved. If we were involved, we would be part of the decision making process of maintaining or ending the practice. We're not to blame, I don't think, but we do bare responsibility as consumers and as such, we have a responsibility to help dismantle it...together."

Acknowledging that we bare responsibility for what's happening is admitting that we're part of the of the reason for why it happens. 'Blame' isn't synonymous with 'responsibility ' I pointed the finger at the state and the corporations. You have a problem with this, I take it. More than that, you seem to have problem with me doing it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Renevent42

You denied supporting it is actively participating in it, that's all. It is, of course, especially if one is aware what's happening but still supports it financially anyways. That makes us partially to blame, so if you are going to point fingers and call something shameful that you actively support, well, it just kind seems dishonest.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

How are Nike, Sony, and Apple not on that list???

Oh silly me they abuse overseas noncriminal children and citizens.

Carry on.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

You denied supporting it is actively participating in it, that's all. It is, of course, especially if one is aware what's happening but still supports it financially anyways. That makes us partially to blame, so if you are going to point fingers and call something shameful that you actively support, well, it just kind seems dishonest.

What do you mean "denied?" I'm not being intransigent, I simply don't agree that we're "actively involved" in this practice. You believe otherwise simply because you say so. That's where we are as far as our positions. You're also making a lot assumptions about what I'm purchasing. I admit to purchasing a Windows computer, but I don't remember saying that I knew any of this before the purchase or that I'll continue to purchase such products in spite of what I know. If, throughout this conversation, we're simply going to assume something about the other without a shred of evidence, why don't I just assume that you go around referring to Black people as the N-word and demand that you prove otherwise.

And there is at least one other member who condemns this practice as much as I do, and yet you're only engaging me. Why is this? I mean, It's almost like...I don't know...you care what I think or something.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Renevent42

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

What do you mean "denied?" I'm not being intransigent, I simply don't agree that we're "actively involved" in this practice. You believe otherwise simply because you say so. That's where we are as far as our positions. You're also making a lot assumptions about what I'm purchasing. I admit to purchasing a Windows computer, but I don't remember saying that I knew any of this before the purchase or that I'll continue to purchase such products in spite of what I know. If, throughout this conversation, we're simply going to assume something about the other without a shred of evidence, why don't I just assume that you go around referring to Black people as the N-word and demand that you prove otherwise.

And there is at least one other member who condemns this practice as much as I do, and yet you're only engaging me. Why is this? I mean, It's almost like...I don't know...you care what I think or something.

You have the same culpability as the companies, after all, they aren't the ones actively enslaving these people are they? They are simply contracting out with a company in a foreign country for the cheapest price, and may or may not know the exact extent of the working conditions of the people actually building the products. Same as you buying these products...it's all a big cycle and if you support, your actively participating in it.

Regarding your last statement, that's just silly. It's a forum.

Anyways I'm sure you have waaaaay more products that have at some level been a product of a sweatshop somewhere in some 3rd world shit hole. And I'm sure this lowly windows computer you have certainly won't be the last either. Everything from TV's, cell phones, radios...forget it...not even going to list it all out. Heck, even stuff assembled in the US is almost certainly using PCB's from companies like (and especially) Foxconn since it's the worlds largest electronic contract manufacturer in the world.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

They should do this more with other corporation, it would help the usa economy

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Master_Live

Well, if someone knew of these practices and still supported financially these companies by buying their products you could certainly argue that that person is "actively participating" in aiding and abetting (I know it isn't a criminal matter) said companies.

That person could always instead choose to boycott. But boycotting is a pain in the ass, isn't it (not that I'm above any of this).

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thebest31406

@Renevent42 said:

@thebest31406 said:

@Renevent42 said:

You have the same culpability as the companies, after all, they aren't the ones actively enslaving these people are they? They are simply contracting out with a company in a foreign country for the cheapest price, and may or may not know the exact extent of the working conditions of the people actually building the products. Same as you buying these products...it's all a big cycle and if you support, your actively participating in it.

Regarding your last statement, that's just silly. It's a forum.

Anyways I'm sure you have waaaaay more products that have at some level been a product of a sweatshop somewhere in some 3rd world shit hole. And I'm sure this lowly windows computer you have certainly won't be the last either. Everything from TV's, cell phones, radios...forget it...not even going to list it all out. Heck, even stuff assembled in the US is almost certainly using PCB's from companies like (and especially) Foxconn since it's the worlds largest electronic contract manufacturer in the world.

We're going to get this out of the way once and for all before I respond to any of this because I just find this fascinating. What you are doing is unlike anything I've seen here. When I have an opinion on a issue and that opinion is shared by others, almost every member who disagrees with me goes after me as well as the others. You don't do that...like, at all. I know it's forum, which is why its strange that you've targeted me primarily for an opinion that shared by at least on other member.. Why is this?

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thebest31406

@Master_Live said:

Well, if someone knew of these practices and still supported financially these companies by buying their products you could certainly argue that that person is "actively participating" in aiding and abetting (I know it isn't a criminal matter) said companies.

That person could always instead choose to boycott. But boycotting is a pain in the ass, isn't it (not that I'm above any of this).

How ever large or small one believes the average consumer's burden or responsibility should be, his/her burden is in no way symmetrical to that of state hierarchy that engineers and maintains these deals. It's like suggesting that the troops are as much to blame for the invasion of Iraq as the state that engineered it..

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Treflis said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Had they mended roads, fixed signs and overall done work that directly benefit the society then I don't think many would object.

Having them used as free labor for private companies however isn't exactly repaying a debt to society.

Generally when inmates work they get paid.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Treflis said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Generally when inmates work they get paid.

True, but it is less then minimum wage. I did a little research before I replied cause I was unsure about how much they'd earn.
Came across this, from The Prison Index: Taking the Pulse of the Crime Control Industry (April 2003) by Peter Wagner, published by the Western Prison Project and the Prison Policy Initiative.

Prison labor in the states

• Minimum wage in the United States, in dollars per hour: $5.15
  • Average hourly rate paid at a prison camp in Nevada: $0.13
  • Maximum wage paid to prisoner workers in dollars per day in Georgia and Texas: $0
  • Most prisons that pay prisoners for work have a range of pay depending on the job. Average of the minimum wages for prisoners paid by the states, in dollars per day for non-industry work: $0.93
  • Average of the maximum wages paid to prisoners by the states, in dollars per day: $4.73
  • Lowest wage reported, in dollars per day, for prisoners working in private industry: $0.16

Source.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

soooo.... making those crooks work instead of letting sit on their lazy bums all day is bad?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@dylandr said:

soooo.... making those crooks work instead of letting sit on their lazy bums all day is bad?

Perhaps if society profited from it and not private companies.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@horgen: Atleast they are doing something!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Treflis said:

True, but it is less then minimum wage. I did a little research before I replied cause I was unsure about how much they'd earn.

Came across this, from The Prison Index: Taking the Pulse of the Crime Control Industry (April 2003) by Peter Wagner, published by the Western Prison Project and the Prison Policy Initiative.

Prison labor in the states

• Minimum wage in the United States, in dollars per hour: $5.15
  • Average hourly rate paid at a prison camp in Nevada: $0.13
  • Maximum wage paid to prisoner workers in dollars per day in Georgia and Texas: $0
  • Most prisons that pay prisoners for work have a range of pay depending on the job. Average of the minimum wages for prisoners paid by the states, in dollars per day for non-industry work: $0.93
  • Average of the maximum wages paid to prisoners by the states, in dollars per day: $4.73
  • Lowest wage reported, in dollars per day, for prisoners working in private industry: $0.16

Source.

A person who commits a crime deserves minimum wage? Are you kidding me? They deserve just enough money to help pay for their time in prison.