McDonalds to stay open on Christmas day.

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36033 Posts

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-18/who-eats-at-mcdonald-s-on-christmas

After seeing the results from having kept numerous locations open on Thanksgiving,McDonalds (MCD)wants franchisees to do the same on Christmas Day. It does raise the question: Who wants a Happy Meal on Christmas?

Those with few better options, for starters. Its probably people who are stuck on the road, traveling to family, says Peter Saleh, restaurant analyst for Telsey Advisory Group. If youre open and other people are not, you tend to get more business.

Its a big pool. Roughly 93 million Americans will journey 50 miles or more during the week leading up to New Years Eve, according to AAA spokesman Robert Sinclair Jr. AAA doesnt break out the numbers for Dec. 25, and while many will certainly have arrived at their destination by then, Sinclair isnt surprised at the notion that travelers could make up the bulk of McDonalds Christmas clientele. McDonalds is one of the greatest beneficiaries of the expansion of the U.S. highway system, he says.

InternalMcDonalds memos detailing the holiday pushwere leaked toAdvertising Age.Our largest holiday opportunity as a system is Christmas Day, reads a memo from McDonalds USA Chief Operating Officer Jim Johannesen. Last year, [company-operated] restaurants that opened on Christmas averaged $5,500 in sales.

Spokeswoman Lisa McComb says 1,200 more McDonalds locations stayed open this past Thanksgiving than did last year, which means the company brought in about $72 million in additional sales. The boost certainly contributed to the companys surprising 2.5 percent sales increase for November, following a 2.2 percent drop in October. If McDonalds does the same level of business on Christmas Day, it will see a fourth-quarter jump of $144 million. McComb says the restaurants owner/operators decide whether to open on Dec. 25.

As for those who wind up at McDonalds on Christmas, they have at least one thing to look forward to: TheMcRib, a perennial favorite, will be back.

also no holiday pay

So any thoughts on this?

Personally I won't be eating there that day.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Yum yums
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

To be honnest i thought they were open that day

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
YAY CHRISTMAS BIG MAC WOO!
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
some americans just can't afford to celebrate expensive xmas party....... mcDonald is their last option to gather family and friend
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

McDonald's never closes, no matter the Holiday. :| At least in Canada it doesn't.

MikeLirette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 MikeLirette
Member since 2005 • 4697 Posts
Hey I don't mind this,. means I can go grab a quick meal for lunch while I sit with family and not waste time, because then I have to start preparing the dinner meal right? Makes sense. Good for them.
Goobberzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Goobberzz
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
Well I actually work at a McDonalds and I certainly don't want to work there on Christmas day. With that said though, there are definitely plenty of older people I work with who don't have much family, need the money, and would otherwise just sit at home all day. I don't think it's right to make someone work on Christmas day if they want to, though.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Something about this is just sad.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Something about this is just sad.

BossPerson
Turn that frown upside down
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

way to ruin peoples time with their family! good job mcdonalds

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Pfft, Whataburger is usually open.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
some americans just can't afford to celebrate expensive xmas party....... mcDonald is their last option to gather family and friendhippiesanta
I never understood this argument. I go to Wal-Mart for lunch because it's near my campus, and it has a McDonald's in the front. I bypass it and get (for instance) Greek yogurt, bananas, and a protein bar for the same price if not cheaper than some meal from McDonald's. I can buy chicken and eggs for cheaper than that stuff. It's not like it takes three hours to get, either. This isn't personal, but I just...don't get it. You can eat a healthy meal for $5 if you want to do it.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
well it provides time and a half for anyone who works on that day (if not double time depending on the state) and it provides a place for someone to stop and get coffee or food if they are traveling....good for them...
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
LOL they don't get overtime nor a christmas bonus? im in the same boat I work for waffle house we don't get a bonus but unlike them no one who works there gets a choice of working Christmas you have to or your fired. Atleast we get pity tips from customers who see us working on christmas and feel bad for us xD.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
[QUOTE="fl4tlined"]LOL they don't get overtime nor a christmas bonus? im in the same boat I work for waffle house we don't get a bonus but unlike them no one who works there gets a choice of working Christmas you have to or your fired. Atleast we get pity tips from customers who see us working on christmas and feel bad for us xD.

maybe it's state by state...but in NY it is illegal to not get time and a half if not double time depending on your job....minimal it's time and a half....
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
Personally I won't be eating there that day.Serraph105
and you think you're some kind of martyr for this? back up everybody let the hero through, this guy is going to give up eating mcdonalds for a whole day in protest of mcdonalds being open that day! please just promise to write of your incredible experience some day
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

If you don't like it, don't work at McDonalds. Seriously, I never understood the "poor McDonalds/Walmart" employee shtick. If you have zero skills or education and work at a minimum wage service establishment, why should you expect any benefits at all? Yeah, working on Christmas sucks, but chances are if you are working at McDonalds year round, you really don't have much choice in employment and you shouldn't be complaining. From McDonalds perspective, it makes sense to stay open because lots of people are on the road going to family and such and want to stop somewhere for lunch.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Fvck the fast food industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Well it's nice that people will have that option, if they don't have anything to eat at home.

The McRib is already out at my local restaurant, I was lucky enough to get one after they'd gotten a shipment that day. I don't see why they don't just add the thing to the menu - it would certainly add some variety.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]Personally I won't be eating there that day.cheese_game619
and you think you're some kind of martyr for this? back up everybody let the hero through, this guy is going to give up eating mcdonalds for a whole day in protest of mcdonalds being open that day! please just promise to write of your incredible experience some day

Well maybe the OP didn't really mean anything like that by that statement. They might have just been mentioning that they don't expect to be eating there that day.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i'd eat mcdonalds on christmas
i eat it nearly everyday
i duno how i'm still 130 lbs

quarterpounder

10 nuggetslarge fries

giant soda

ah ye

i actually don't like expensive food

that's good for me, saves money, it always tastes like poop

sucks that the workers dont get vacation pay though

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#23 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I wouldn't mind, if they had holiday pay. But they don't. I wont eat there x-mas.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

i'd eat mcdonalds on christmas
i eat it nearly everyday
i duno how i'm still 130 lbs

quarterpounder

10 nuggetslarge fries

giant soda

ah ye

i actually don't like expensive food

that's good for me, saves money, it always tastes like poop

sucks that the workers dont get vacation pay though

JigglyWiggly_
You're most probably an ectomorph. Ectomorphs burn energy very, very fast compared to the other somatypes so gaining weight is extremely difficult unless you're having a caloric surplus and/or lifting heavy weights. Best be careful though; even though you're not packing on the lbs, you're at risk in getting cholesterol and diabetes.
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

Why not talk about why movie theaters are open as well?....big deal..

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
sucks for the people that have to work there but not everyone celebrates christmas so it makes sense.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]some americans just can't afford to celebrate expensive xmas party....... mcDonald is their last option to gather family and frienddodgerblue13
I never understood this argument. I go to Wal-Mart for lunch because it's near my campus, and it has a McDonald's in the front. I bypass it and get (for instance) Greek yogurt, bananas, and a protein bar for the same price if not cheaper than some meal from McDonald's. I can buy chicken and eggs for cheaper than that stuff. It's not like it takes three hours to get, either. This isn't personal, but I just...don't get it. You can eat a healthy meal for $5 if you want to do it.

hell yeah man you can make some great healthy food for cheap from walmart. I end up eating a lot of Mcdizzles though not because it's cheap, but because it's conveniant and quick. With work and school it's so much easier to just swing through the drive thru quick and get a quick, decent tasting meal for a decent price

Smart move by McDonalds I guess, I'm sure they have some workers that don't care if they work on Christmas day. They should get holiday pay though, not like they couldn't afford to pay them a little more

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36033 Posts

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="Serraph105"]Personally I won't be eating there that day.Ovirew

Well maybe the OP didn't really mean anything like that by that statement. They might have just been mentioning that they don't expect to be eating there that day.

I said that to make a tldr rant nice and short. I certainly dont consider it to be high and mighty or martyrdom.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

There's nothing really wrong with that. Good on Mickie D's I guess.

I certainly won't be getting any McDonalds though. It's pretty much tradition to have pancakes for Breakfest and a big turkey dinner for Christmas, so I'll be good.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
People need their McDoubles.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Not giving holiday pay is a total d*ck move.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Pretty lame to be open that day, even worse to make people work and not pay them extra.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178755 Posts
I don't purchase anything on holidays. People should be off to enjoy their holiday...make your own damn food for once.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
My own place of employment, a coffee shop, will also be open on Christmas. It wouldn't be open if we didn't expect an influx of customers. Very often on holidays we have customers on that very day complain that we are open. They often do not see that they themselves are a cause.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
No holiday pay? Really that sucks. Not much of an incentive then.
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
What, so all the workers have to miss Christmas with their families just because the Managers are greedy bastards looking for more "munny" ?! Fvck that.
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
No holiday pay? Really that sucks. Not much of an incentive then.Shottayouth13-
unless your basically forced to work or you lose your appartment, Or you have nothing else to do on christmas
EasyStreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EasyStreet
Member since 2003 • 11672 Posts

Atheist need a place for junk food on that day.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
well it provides time and a half for anyone who works on that day (if not double time depending on the state) and it provides a place for someone to stop and get coffee or food if they are traveling....good for them...Omni-Slash
Nope no holiday pay...
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Now I have somewhere to go on Christmas day:(

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

If you don't like it, don't work at McDonalds. Seriously, I never understood the "poor McDonalds/Walmart" employee shtick. If you have zero skills or education and work at a minimum wage service establishment, why should you expect any benefits at all? Yeah, working on Christmas sucks, but chances are if you are working at McDonalds year round, you really don't have much choice in employment and you shouldn't be complaining. From McDonalds perspective, it makes sense to stay open because lots of people are on the road going to family and such and want to stop somewhere for lunch.

redstorm72
Give me your best math skills and work out how a minimum wage job is even solvent let alone giving you time or extra money on the side for things other than... you know... surviving (even on a minimum wage job you are unable to provide and rely on yourself). EDIT: Anyway, on-topic... it sucks that people cannot spend a day per year with their family anymore without corporate America intruding. I have never ate at any fast food establishment on any holiday...ever. Even when traveling, we just bring some cereal and fruit with or something to tide us over. Are there that many people who are traveling over 50 or 100 miles? Like I said, it is a race to the bottom and the American populaces are the losers.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

There's lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas - christ we've got to call it a damned "holiday" because of them. So why wouldn't they want to go and eat at McDonald's on that day? It's just like any other to them and presumably there are sooooo many of them that it would be a profitable day to stay open.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Most restaurants are open on Christmas Day... it's one of the biggest days of the year (at least for breakfast/brunch).
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
There's lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas - christ we've got to call it a damned "holiday" because of them. So why wouldn't they want to go and eat at McDonald's on that day? It's just like any other to them and presumably there are sooooo many of them that it would be a profitable day to stay open.Jackc8
There are also lots of people who celebrate Christmas on a different day entirely... and the world doesn't stop for them.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I love christmas nuggets!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Not everyone celebrates christmas.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
I feel bad for the employees. Not only do they have to work on Christmas, but they have to work at McDonald's on Christmas.
akgunguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 akgunguy9
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
If you work there and dont want to on christmas day just call off!! lol I really think that is wrong. i work at a resturaunt and i would be mad if we were open on christmas day. They only care about there money in there pockets not there employees...
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

There's lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas - christ we've got to call it a damned "holiday" because of them. So why wouldn't they want to go and eat at McDonald's on that day? It's just like any other to them and presumably there are sooooo many of them that it would be a profitable day to stay open.

Jackc8

Because the majority of people want to spend time with their families on the holiday, not having to work at a lousy establishment.