McAfee Offers To Hack Terrorist's iPhone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Think it was a good move for Apple not to aid the FBI. Business and politics need to stay as separate as possible. Apple would lose customers if they would bend over more easily for the gov.

Now John McAfee is offering to hack the iPhone for free. Basically the FBI wants the '3 tries permanent lock' removed so they can run a million pass codes by it until it unlocks.

If McAfee proceeds I think it can hurt his reputation. To me it just seems like a slap to the face of Apple and the tech industry as a whole.

Anyone can hack the Terrorist's iPhone, it's not that Apple couldn't do it, it's that they refused. The question is; is it ethical?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I would hack it. I thank McAfee for the offer of hacking it for free, i would hack it for free also, very American of him.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If the FBI simply wanted Apple to help them in getting access to that one specific phone though "the front door", provided they have a warrant to do so, Then I see no issues.

The Issue however is the the FBI wants Apple to alter a program within iPhones and implement a backdoor access that would allow them easy access into iPhones in general, which they then could do without a warrant on other iPhones. Not to mention such an access could be found by criminals and exploited like most back door access into a software or hardware end up being. Granted the FBI are essentially saying " We're just gonna do this once" but honestly, who really believes that?

So I have to say that I agree with Apple on their stance.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

McAfee is a mooly, and he isn't going to be able to just bypass security features by using social engineering. Its not a matter if it is ethical, its not matter of hurting the privacy of others or hurting their brand. It has to do with public bantering and Apple just not wanting to do it because they don't want to spend their resources and time in bypassing the feature. Secondly, they need not to be using the court of public opinion as a tool for their war, instead they need to be going behind closed doors and discuss a secure method of bypassing the security to get the information that the FBI needs and assisting in protecting the nation from possible future attacks. They have done it plenty of times in the past with no issue and with no exploits of everyone's private data. Cook is acting like a clown and just don't want to spend time creating a back door. Which, by the way can be destroyed when they get the data that they want. It really is getting ridiculous. All of this is nothing more than fear mongering and rhetoric.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@playmynutz said:

Now John McAfee is offering to hack the iPhone for free. Basically the FBI wants the '3 tries permanent lock' removed so they can run a million pass codes by it until it unlocks.

If McAfee proceeds I think it can hurt his reputation. To me it just seems like a slap to the face of Apple and the tech industry as a whole.

Now that's just funny. Do you know anything about the guy? He's not exactly famous for having a great reputation...