"Matrix 4" Officially a Go With Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last of couple years to find a way to get back into “The Matrix universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed down the development. Over the past couple months, the studio saw a perfect storm brewing starting with Reeves super strong summer that included the box office smash hits “John Wick 3” and “Toy Story 4” and a script from Wachowski that got the studio and Reeves excited about a possible return.

How and where the plot takes off is unknown at this time as is the role of Morbius and how that will be filled with some sources say the role may be recast for a younger version but that element has still not been made clear.

The three previous films —“The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.

The first “Matrix” had its 20th anniversary this year, marked by special screenings at select AMC locations starting on Aug. 30.

I guess it was just a matter of time.

PS: Variety needs proof readers.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I'd be interested to see what they do with it. Does "The One" always look the same in each iteration/version of The Matrix? Cause, you know, last we saw Neo he was dead.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

The first movie, similar to Robocop was a self-contained story. As soon the hero becomes self-aware that's the story done. Don't need magic albino ghost twins, Colonel sander talking bollocks or Agent Smith having a Dragonball fight.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

Nice! I won't sit here and tell you the Matrix movies are pieces of cinematic art, but they were damn fun movies and great eye candy.

I hope it's a prequel; the Animatrix sort of has me hooked on the era that led to the downfall of humanity, I think it's a great story and I can always use more "Robots bringing the apocalypse" stories :D

Having Reeves and Moss, however, leads me to believe otherwise.

@uninspiredcup said:

The first movie, similar to Robocop was a self-contained story. As soon the hero becomes self-aware that's the story done. Don't need magic albino ghost twins, Colonel sander talking bollocks or Agent Smith having a Dragonball fight.

Yeah it was nice to see them expand on the world and the story but so much of it was excessive. It would have been enough just knowing Scion was under attack, we didn't need to actually show it being attacked. More Matrix time!

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Wow, with the recent successes of John Wick 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and other projects, Keanu Reeves popularity surged, more than during the Matrix series. With upcoming flims like Bill and Ted and a new Matrix movie planned, he's going to stay consistent unlike Jenifer Lawrance.

Also, I had heard that MCU were originally going to cast Keanu Reeves as Doctor Strange.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nice! I won't sit here and tell you the Matrix movies are pieces of cinematic art, but they were damn fun movies and great eye candy.

I hope it's a prequel; the Animatrix sort of has me hooked on the era that led to the downfall of humanity, I think it's a great story and I can always use more "Robots bringing the apocalypse" stories :D

@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah it was nice to see them expand on the world and the story but so much of it was excessive. It would have been enough just knowing Scion was under attack, we didn't need to actually show it being attacked. More Matrix time!

I mean yea, probably end up watching it. But it was a one and done deal imo.

Animatrix stuff done a good job of giving more without needlessly dragging out the first movie.

World Record in particular boiled it down to what it was about without all the clumsy gobbledegook. Really great.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

He's still.

Only Human.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16877 Posts

For me, I think I'm Matrix-ed out. The first was good, the sequels killed any interest I had in the series altogether--I haven't even re-watched the first one in about 20 years. But was there really a big demand by fans after the last one?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

They will never be another Matrix movie that can capture what the first one did just like Die Hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I like all three a lot. Really disappointed both Neo and Trinity will return. Can't leave well enough alone.

Also, it's funny to me that people still think The Animatrix is better than the Matrix sequels.

• Final Flight of the Osiris - 6/10
  • The Second Renaissance part 1 - 5/10
  • The Second Renaissance part 2 - 6/10
  • Kid's Story - 7/10
  • Program - 5/10
  • World Record - 6/10
  • Beyond - 6/10
  • A Detective Story - 6/10
  • Matriculated - 5/10
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Serraph105

@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I know this is never going to happen, but I've always been interested in the possibility of bringing the world back from the environmental disaster that it's currently in in the Matrix films. In the animatrix (and the first movie) they directly state that it was the humans that scorched the skies and in the third movie Neo and Trinity get above the clouds for a moment and see the sun for the first and only time in their lives......well, actually, Neo was blind at that point so only Trinity saw it. Anyways I've always been curious if they could restore the sky and begin to restore the earth.

The thing that could make it possible is that humans used self-replicating robots to scorch the sky called nanites so if one could find a way to get rid of them, say via a long forgotten kill switch or something, they bring the sun back to the earth and whatever soil remains, and begin to restore the planet. That said, never gonna happen. People are going to want to see the earth get saved from the machines with weapons and karate, not have it's environment restored.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@Serraph105: Yeah, my idea for the last couple of months has been some rogue program instigating a new war between the humans and machines just as the Earth's atmosphere is being cleaned up and the humans are populating the surface.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I know this is never going to happen, but I've always been interested in the possibility of bringing the world back from the environmental disaster that it's currently in in the Matrix films. In the animatrix (and the first movie) they directly state that it was the humans that scorched the skies and in the third movie Neo and Trinity get above the clouds for a moment and see the sun for the first and only time in their lives......well, actually, Neo was blind at that point so only Trinity saw it. Anyways I've always been curious if they could restore the sky and begin to restore the earth.

The thing that could make it possible is that humans used self-replicating robots to scorch the sky called nanites so if one could find a way to get rid of them, say via a long forgotten kill switch or something, they bring the sun back to the earth and whatever soil remains, and begin to restore the planet. That said, never gonna happen. People are going to want to see the earth get saved from the machines with weapons and karate, not have it's environment restored.

That'd be pretty cool.

Hell you could even add a twist in there where A.) a faction of robots help humanity, and B.) a faction of humans who fear change try to sabotage it. I don't know, just throwing it out there. It'd make sense though they were reliant on solar before and turned to human batteries because there was no solar power, if they can't use human batteries then maybe its back to solar.

I think a Matrix movie that takes place outside of the Matrix would be pretty entertaining.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

That'd be pretty cool.

Hell you could even add a twist in there where A.) a faction of robots help humanity, and B.) a faction of humans who fear change try to sabotage it. I don't know, just throwing it out there. It'd make sense though they were reliant on solar before and turned to human batteries because there was no solar power, if they can't use human batteries then maybe its back to solar.

I think a Matrix movie that takes place outside of the Matrix would be pretty entertaining.

Honestly, that could really work. Especially with renewable (solar) energy being a hot topic of today as well as people who fear change. Plus you could get a better sort of peace between humans and the machines based in a resolution that comes to a place of both sides doing a better job of caring for the planet. That would work on a movie trope level as well because movies often have a thing of "city/urban life" not being real or good, and rural life as a means of getting back to one's roots and experiencing life for what it should be.

Now how you involve two dead characters in a movie outside of The Matrix would make things significantly more difficult to figure out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25

@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Now how you involve two dead characters in a movie outside of The Matrix would make things significantly more difficult to figure out.

Robots had farms of humans so they clearly have the ability to clone, incubate, or otherwise grow humans.

You saw them take Neo's body away at the end, wouldn't be a stretch to say they could easily just clone him. And then....i don't know...maybe they had his memory stored in the matrix, I mean the guy spent 95% of his life in the Matrix so there is essentially a record of who he is.

As for Trinity, I don't know maybe they grab her body.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

Cool. I really enjoyed all three movies and am very interested in seeing where this new one will go from the ending of the third.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm interested to see what they come up with for a new Matrix film. However, this could very well be a sad attempt at milking an existing property and history has taught us this rarely ends well.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I'd be interested to see what they do with it. Does "The One" always look the same in each iteration/version of The Matrix? Cause, you know, last we saw Neo he was dead.

It would make sense for "the one" to look the same all the time if the theory that the matrix was always just a simulation inside of simulation of the "real" world were people are allowed to "rebel" against the machines, while in reality they are just batteries in the REAL real world.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#19 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Can we have something original? Last time I felt excited about a movie was Ex Machina.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

He's still.

Only Human.

This guy gets it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@SolidSnake35 said:

Can we have something original? Last time I felt excited about a movie was Ex Machina.

Ex Machina was original? Can't say I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

@johnd13: makes sense, most of their other movies that aren't the Matrix have kinda been duds, so time to bring it back i guess.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

Can't say I am very excited about this. What left is there to show?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

…...why?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

…...why?

Money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Just realized Carrie-Anne Moss and Keannu Reeves are gonna be much less nimble and graceful in their fighting. People are crazy if they think they can still fight like they did in 2003. Again, it should have new main characters.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Just realized Carrie-Anne Moss and Keannu Reeves are gonna be much less nimble and graceful in their fighting. People are crazy if they think they can still fight like they did in 2003. Again, it should have new main characters.

If anything they should only have a role in the real world.. Except that would be weird.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#28 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I'd be interested to see what they do with it.

Honestly, and considering this is likely aimed at a new audience, at least in part, i'm expecting either some sort of retelling, or some new origin story in order to present the universe to said new audience.

I'm not saying the movie won't be some sort of continuation from the trilogy, but i don't expect it ill be a direct follow-up to what transpired in the original movies.

I guess it is also possible they may be taking queues from the Animatrix, such as the second renaissance, and fleshing it out into what may have caused the creation of the Matrix in the first place, as a general setting for said new movie.

I guess we'll see.