Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/10/luke-cage-racist-says-white-people

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/tv/people-are-complaining-netflixs-luke-cage-is-racist-twitter-has-been-correcting-them/news-story/7d80b8d47f84205cdb94c32a12d20bfd

I do not get it, whenever minority characters are introduced onto predominantly white shows you will get a few angry people from the "anti pc" crowd complaining that they are ruining the show by being pc and forcing diversity on people(argument for another day).

But when you take a show with a black MC and in a mainly black setting, and suddenly wtf where is the white people.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mercenary848

I feel like the people who complain about shows being too "urban", are the ones who go to countries like Mexico and complain because the food is too spicy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The funny thing is that in the comics Shades is a black guy, but in the show he's a white guy.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Its Harlem, wtf does whitey expect? I actually dont like the show though, i think its too soft. Every time i watch it i think, this shat fake as hell. But i havnt really given it a shot, most shows you have to watch like 4-5 episodes to get into. I havnt even fully watched 1 episode.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

"My skin is a different color. Therefore, I can't relate to all these black fellas!"

Yeah. When you can't enjoy a superhero show just because you feel threatened by "all that black skin everywhere", insecurity might be getting the better of you.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

God forbid white men have trouble finding a character to relate to for once.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Well that's incredibly silly.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

To all those offended Netflix issues this statement, "Sorry bros, we'll PC it up for you next time."

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6: That's the thing. Different skin tone alone should not prevent the viewer from being able to relate to a character. What about personality, likes, dislikes, personal philosophy, etc.? Am I being crazy here?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Well that's silly. It's set in Harlem. Hell I've watched 4 episodes so far and never once thought about what races were absent. Wasn't material.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6: "God forbid white men have trouble finding a character to relate to for once."

That's nothing. In videogames, they go biserk.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

[Insert Sad Violin music here]

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Isn't this like whining about why an Asian film/TV show (Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, you name it) having too many Asians?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

I am tired of seeing all this bitching and complaining, on both wacky sides of the political spectrum. If you dont like something, watch something else. Your opinion on what is not decent or acceptable is not special, and does not entitle you to people even going so far as to listen to your bitching....

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@Mercenary848:

I think you guys are too young to remember Luke Cage, Hero for Hire, most of the people in the comic were black. I have no problem with this.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mercenary848

@AFBrat77: lol I have been reading comics forever especially like cage. When he was in thunderbolts Tha was when he became one of my favorites

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

I am tired of seeing all this bitching and complaining, on both wacky sides of the political spectrum. If you dont like something, watch something else. Your opinion on what is not decent or acceptable is not special, and does not entitle you to people even going so far as to listen to your bitching....

Yeah, if you dont like racism and sexism, close your eyes. Well said mate.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Several schools of thought on Luke Cage:

1.) Luke Cage shows that politeness goes far in life and attempts to clean up the streets without blaming the white man. Therefore, it's racist to black people.

2.) Luke Cage shows how brutal and ruthless the police can be. One example is when the police go too far in harassing young black men just for knowing Luke Cage and even have one officer brutalize some black kid. And even more disturbing is when Luke Cage wears a hoodie and is bullet-proof. Therefore, it's anti-cop.

3.) Luke Cage has too much black people in a predominately black neighborhood. Therefore, it's racist against white people.

4.) Luke Cage is an exceptional show that showcases the nuances of the America we live in today, but it has some great characters, a story that will get you hooked on, good cinematography, and great action.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Just more people whining (or maybe they're trolling), as usual, about a show that they DON'T have to watch. Maybe some people were salty about how boring the show got halfway through the season. So, instead of moving on with their lives they went to social media to bitch and complain.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

This sort of thing has become so ridiculous.

It's entirely understandable that people of other groups are starting to operate via outrage though given progressives have been so successful in doing it.

Our current political culture seems to be ruled entirely be angry idiots who just bully people into getting their way. It's pushing normal people out of all political and social issues.

@nintendoboy16 said:

Isn't this like whining about why an Asian film/TV show (Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, you name it) having too many Asians?

Those would be different countries with ethinically homogenous populations. Not a good analogy really.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@toast_burner said:

The funny thing is that in the comics Shades is a black guy, but in the show he's a white guy.

Well, relatively speaking. Theo Rossi is about as mixed as I am so I wouldn't go so far as to call him "white" but he's certainly not as dark as most everyone else on the show.

As for the show, I'm only a couple episodes in but I'm really liking it. Not that I would be the sort of person bothered by this, but I hadn't even noticed a lack of white actors in it but in retrospect yeah, there's literally one main character that I remember so far. I wasn't a huge fan of Gamespot referring to the show as "Netflix's new urban superhero show" in one of their articles as that's generally media code word for "black" (like "street" or "hood"). It's not like Jessica Jones or Daredevil took place in rural Iowa, yet neither of those shows got the same description. lol

-Byshop

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@garywood69 said:

This sort of thing has become so ridiculous.

It's entirely understandable that people of other groups are starting to operate via outrage though given progressives have been so successful in doing it.

Our current political culture seems to be ruled entirely be angry idiots who just bully people into getting their way. It's pushing normal people out of all political and social issues.

@nintendoboy16 said:

Those would be different countries with ethinically homogenous populations. Not a good analogy really.

I admit I didn't think that one through. I brought them up because say someone would make that argument, it wouldn't feel right and, like this example with Luke Cage, would be very stupid.

(And I meant to have those countries or, in Hong Kong's case, SAR for China just brought up as most likely examples from what gets imported/localized to the west, not to pull a rotted trope)

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

I admit I didn't think that one through. I brought them up because say someone would make that argument, it wouldn't feel right and, like this example with Luke Cage, would be very stupid.

(And I meant to have those countries or, in Hong Kong's case, SAR for China just brought up as most likely examples from what gets imported/localized to the west, not to pull a rotted trope)

Yep but it wouldn't feel right because those countries have ethnically homogenous populations. Japan doesn't have many black, brown or white people. It's 95% ethnically Japanese. That's therefore the default demographic makeup in any group you'll find in Japan. The US is obviously different. It's more of a racial mix.

There are definitely some double standards on this kind of issue that really piss me off, but this one is just outrage over nothing really.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Luke Cage as a white girlfriend.

And his buddy Iron Fist has a black girlfriend

kinda ironic

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Anti PC, Trump supporting racists are the most irritating social justice warriors in need of a safe space there is. I'll be glad when this fad is over. Luckily no one seems to care what they think. They are known for their bad taste so who would pay any attention to their criticism of a TV show?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Oh wow..morons the lot of them (complainers)..undies twisted over nothing. :P

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

The majority of the "complaints" are just satire trolling SJWs. The overall theme of Luke Cage is actually quite conservative.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm just sick f hearing abou race in general

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Unfortunately you have to overturn a lot of rocks to drive out pests.

If it doesn't get brought out to the light of day, it just festers beneath the surface.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Are you white?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 turtlethetaffer

@mattbbpl said:
@turtlethetaffer said:

Unfortunately you have to overturn a lot of rocks to drive out pests.

If it doesn't get brought out to the light of day, it just festers beneath the surface.

I know. Like, I understand. Race is still a serious issue, especially in the US. I jsut mean for me personally, I am sick of hearing about it. My general racial philosophy is treat others like a person and not like shit unless they're being an asshole to yu so all this talk about race in the modern times is lost on me.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 turtlethetaffer

@Aljosa23: Yes. See my above comment.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Is this any different than Tim Burton's latest movies being called out for not having enough actors of color in the movie.

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

I don't think it racism towards white people but I did get sick of all the black history lessons the show try to do I felt it mess the flow of the show up and this is one of the reason I was disappointed in the show it made me hate the fact it was set in Harlem... wish they stop trying to teach me something and just make a good show and if I happen to learn something ok but it felt like they're focus was on teaching less on the story so the pacing sucked the action was boring and now I saw no point to the Luke cage show

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@Serraph105: What are you talking about? Netflix PCs it up all the time.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38676 Posts

wait, people complain on the internet about stuff?

when the hell did this happen?

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

This is sooooo amazing. 90% of EVERY SHOW ON TV my entire life has not had very many black people. And one show on Netflix has a majority black cast and some people complain. Do they ONLY see things from their incredibly singular perspective? I mean open your eyes... or SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

It seems as if we are becoming less racially aware as a country...makes me sick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I don't think I'm black enough to watch this show. I respect their culture, it's great that Luke Cage is on Netflix. I wonder if they correctly depict Harlem. What I noticed about white directors (no idea if Luke Cage is directed by a white guy), but say Cleveland Show, any show where white people write dialog and direct black people, it always come off as cheesy and not real.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:

It seems as if we are becoming less racially aware as a country...makes me sick.

Actually not making race important is when we get past the racism.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I thought the show was great, I finished it last night.

It really celebrated black culture, while not exploiting it like many movies have done.

Any social commentary the show made, outside of general black culture, was pretty universal, too; I don't feel they made any clear statements on cop shootings, BLM!, and other stuff but they did acknowledge the problems. Obviously the show is about a black hero and black culture so they lean in that direction, but after the first two episodes I felt a little less self-conscious (I'm white, I have a black roomie though so it was a little weird watching it, I'll be honest) about watching it and really got into it.

@playmynutz said:

I don't think I'm black enough to watch this show. I respect their culture, it's great that Luke Cage is on Netflix. I wonder if they correctly depict Harlem. What I noticed about white directors (no idea if Luke Cage is directed by a white guy), but say Cleveland Show, any show where white people write dialog and direct black people, it always come off as cheesy and not real.

That's how I felt going into it, like "Can...can I watch this? Is that allowed?" but I think I was black in a previous life lol. I knew all the musicians they showed and talked about on the show, I love soul and funk and rap and jazz and all that good stuff.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@sayyy-gaa said:

Actually not making race important is when we get past the racism.

Yeah, acknowledge it, celebrate it, but don't make a big deal out of it unless it needs to be.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Well this is what happens when race becomes an emphasis in and outside the comic book industry.

If you need a race specific character to relate to. Not so sorry to say, but you got personal issues. You should relate to the character based on their story. And not because of their ethnicity. Or because they don't eat hot sauce with their food (Mexican reference). Don't like what's offered, then make your own character. You don't need a corporate structure to get your own content distributed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@jak42 said:

Well this is what happens when race becomes an emphasis in and outside the comic book industry.

If you need a race specific character to relate to. Not so sorry to say, but you got personal issues. You should relate to the character based on their story. And not because of their ethnicity. Or because they don't eat hot sauce with their food (Mexican reference). Don't like what's offered, then make your own character. You don't need a corporate structure to get your own content distributed.

it's not about black race, or black ethnicity...it's about black culture.I know that might be a fine line to some, but it's an important distinction to make.

When it comes to discussing race, people generally gravitate towards negative shit. When it comes to culture, it's more about celebration, respecting the differences, and allowing anyone to partake (regardless of race).

The show is not about BLM or cop shootings (not race based ones, at least) or anything like that. It's about Harlem, a diamond in the rough. It's about positive role models in society to replace negative or absent fathers. It's about athletes, musicians, and artists.

Some stuff was worked in there (references to Trayvon Martin, i.e. a black man in a hoodie; how a black man doesn't have any choice but to run from the cops; etc) but they are fleeting, and quickly forgotten and dismissed.

I went into the show with, admittedly, a pretty closed and made-up mind; I was concerned the show was going to be all about politics and race and the debate that's going on, but I was pleasantly surprised. Luke Cage turned out to be one of the better Marvel productions I have seen; only Daredevil Season 2 rivals it, and that's mostly because of The Punisher (played by the amazing Jon Bernthal)

Luke Cage shows us what we should be focusing on.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#44 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

These whiners are the same ones that cry about people being too "sensitive" and "PC" all the time right?

It's so pathetic xd

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

People care too much about the melanin people have on TV.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I think you interpreted my post a different way. In this case, its those who label themselves as white, arguing for diversity and what not. So my post, which also advocates for people to make comics and productions that appeal to them. Is fine with Luke Cage being what it is.

The complaint here from this article, is a by product of the SJW, equality, and what not agenda. Blatant racism is one thing. Its a whole different ball game when you push a politically correct, affirmative action agenda in cast selection and what not across all forms of multimedia. Just to appeal to a vocal mob whether small or big, who may not even be interested in the production. Even if said changes are made. So it doesn't surprise me when the coin is flipped, and now people are angry over a largely black production.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Less than Daredevil, and more than Jessica Jones.

I'm white and don't see the problem. It's fucking Harlem.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@Gaming-Planet:"melanin people "

?

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I'm sick of everyone thinking they need to have someone be a certain skin color to relate to them. It's stupid when the complaint is that there are too many white people and it's still stupid when the complaint is that there are too many black people. Shut up and enjoy some shit and stop worrying about what color everyone's skin is ffs.