Many Business Leaders Doubt U.S. Colleges Prepare Students.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Gallup: Few leaders believe U.S. colleges and universities are the best

022614 doubts higher ed

022614 doubts higher ed

022614 doubts higher ed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I hear Loco's footsteps?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

You thought college was for work preparation?

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

That's why I chose a technical school. Hands on experience, on-job training, resume and interview skills and I get my Bachelors on top of all that.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4209 Posts

Business leaders suck tbh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

So let's completely remove federal and state funding from schools and see what happens. That's the way it's going anyway.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I think you'd have a hard time making the case that anywhere but the U.S. has the best university system. Whether this translates to preparedness is a somewhat different matter.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Did you?

@TacticalDesire said:

I think you'd have a hard time making the case that anywhere but the U.S. has the best university system.

Yeah, business leaders are full of shit on that one.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

going for any other reason is a waste of money

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It might be your reason for going....but that doesn't mean it's going to get you ready for work. Two entirely different things...that a college student should be able to decipher.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

That's what internships are for...aka slavery lol.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

There is a huge disconnect between going to college and learning about your desired field, and then going out and doing work in your field. Those are two completely different, but both necessary, parts of the learning experience. Internships serve a majority of students in getting that needed work experience. One of my best friends is studying to be a game developer (code) and he just got an internship working for Microsoft. Not only is he incredibly likely to be hired by Microsoft having worked for them, but he's getting work experience in a highly technical, group oriented profession, which is absolutely essential.

He had to work REAL hard to get that internship though, and there was only so many spots available (and this is Computer Science, a MASSIVE field with a ton of students nowadays).

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

College students will just have to prove them wrong. Old people hold most professional positions. I should be able to replace some old fart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That's kind of a tricky question. Most people right out of college don't have the skills for jobs. But they have the minds and the ability to be trained. Many higher end jobs will actually train their prospective employees in the specific skills needed. College is not vocational training, it's higher education. That higher education then allows someone to have the aptitude and skillsets to be trained.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Good. College should prepare students to help change the status quo, not submit to it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#16 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

College in the US today is becoming more and more like High school. Colleges today just try to get as many students as possible by having parents,guidance counselors, and teachers telling students they have to go to college, whether or not they are smart enough or entering a filed that requires additional education.

College used to be a place for people to educate and better themselves....now its just a place for universities to make money and babysit stupid young adults.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

My biggest mistake was going to college. I withdrew and now have debt. It wasn't for me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@sonicare said:

That's kind of a tricky question. Most people right out of college don't have the skills for jobs. But they have the minds and the ability to be trained. Many higher end jobs will actually train their prospective employees in the specific skills needed. College is not vocational training, it's higher education. That higher education then allows someone to have the aptitude and skillsets to be trained.

Exactly.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@outworld222 said:

Business leaders suck tbh.

The more experience I gain in the professional world, the truer this statement rings.

It's not to say that none of them have anything to contribute, but a lot of them really just follow the herd and implement certain things to say they did something to their shareholders. A lot of them also have an oversized ego which leads them to make decisions which they are not qualified to make (like the VP at a previous company who laid off his entire development staff after completing their new system - someone forgot to tell him that you need an IT staff to maintain and evolve complex, mission critical systems).

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It might be your reason for going....but that doesn't mean it's going to get you ready for work. Two entirely different things...that a college student should be able to decipher.

@Star67 said:

College in the US today is becoming more and more like High school. Colleges today just try to get as many students as possible by having parents,guidance counselors, and teachers telling students they have to go to college, whether or not they are smart enough or entering a filed that requires additional education.

College used to be a place for people to educate and better themselves....now its just a place for universities to make money and babysit stupid young adults.

College is a learning platform to help you develop basic skills for your desired field of work. Unfortunately, many people approach it as simply "school." I go to class, take a test, and get a grade. They do not attempt to apply their knowledge critically, they do not seek to explore subjects further then presented in the classroom, they fail to network with businesses in the community, etc.

In my opinion, a very small percentage of college students take advantage of college as a platform to grow your professional skills and make connections. When I was in college, I was able to identify these people, and I made it a point to surround myself with students that were there to increase their human capital. In all, I found college to be worth the investment, and I am who I am as a professional because of it.

Unfortunately, there are so many people who are absolutely wasting their time and money. I know that sounds mean, but I believe its the truth...

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Well, yeah. Have you been to college lately? Only a few people in a few of them know what the hell they're doing. There's barely any writing going on; the single most important thing you can teach college students, and you have students coming out with BA's that don't know basic APA style.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Makhaidos said:

Well, yeah. Have you been to college lately? Only a few people in a few of them know what the hell they're doing. There's barely any writing going on; the single most important thing you can teach college students, and you have students coming out with BA's that don't know basic APA style.

I hate APA and MLA, Chicago Style's where it's at.

I know our college has a writing across the curriculum credit, and frankly I don't think we have the greatest standards. What I see a lot of, though, are a lot of students that aren't really prepared for what they're going to experience in college. I don't know if we should really be expecting colleges to make up for high school deficiencies.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Yet most advanced businesses still require a college degree for job applicants... How about they stop asking for one? Would certainly stop a lot of trouble and unnecessary debt.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Yet so many jobs unnecessarily require college degrees. Hell even becoming a secretary is tough without a degree. I guess businesses just like screwing with people?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

It seems like many young adults have no idea that they're supposed to work hard for their careers. Many people are blaming student loans, not getting placed in the career they majored in, and what not...

But it seems like most people are just expecting to be handed a job right out of college...

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BeardMaster

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

It seems like many young adults have no idea that they're supposed to work hard for their careers. Many people are blaming student loans, not getting placed in the career they majored in, and what not...

But it seems like most people are just expecting to be handed a job right out of college...

Well historically thats what happened. It also seems like alot of people think because they accomplished something, everyone else can. And the people not as successful as them are somehow not as good as them.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Well historically thats what happened. It also seems like alot of people think because they accomplished something, everyone else can. And the people not as successful as them are somehow not as good as them.

Historically, people weren't nearly as lazy as this generation. The people working their asses off in today's economy generally aren't affected by the job shortage.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BeardMaster

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Historically, people weren't nearly as lazy as this generation. The people working their asses off in today's economy generally aren't affected by the job shortage.

Historically every generation thinks the generation younger than them are lazy. Feel free to look back at what curmudgeons said about the hippies of the 60s.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Historically every generation thinks the generation younger than them are lazy. Feel free to look back at what curmudgeons said about the hippies of the 60s.

....Do I really need to justify a claim of laziness about hippies? Please, tell me that's something that doesn't need to be discussed.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BeardMaster

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@BeardMaster said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

....Do I really need to justify a claim of laziness about hippies? Please, tell me that's something that doesn't need to be discussed.

If hippies werent the baby boomers, maybe. They are the bill gates and steve jobbs.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

College shouldn't just be about learning a trade and limiting your scope to such a narrow field. Higher education is more than just learning to do a specific task, it should be about ya know, LEARNING. I would be disappointing if education revolved around simply learning to run certain machines and performing mundane tasks that certain businesses want.

It should help you better understand how the world works and entertain the thought of differing view points. The goal being to make you a much more well rounded and informed individual on top of job skills.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

On the other hand it's still nearly impossible to be hired for a decent job without a college level degree on your resume.

Ozias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ozias
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

@playmynutz:

@playmynutz said:

College students will just have to prove them wrong. Old people hold most professional positions. I should be able to replace some old fart.

Except that the 'old farts' usually have three advantages:

a) they had a better education

b) they have years of experience

c) they aren't self-entitled lackwits, they were brought up to believe you *earn* what you aspire to

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Aquat1cF1sh:

That was my point. They can believe whatever they like, but until they change their hiring practices nothing is actually going to change.