major piracy site to be shut down.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Piracy site IsoHunt to shut down and pay $110m.

ARTICLE

damn, what next ? pirate bay ?

Thoughts OT ?

Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

I don't think Pirate Bay will get shut down. I don't know this, but I think its protected by hackers, at least that's what I have heard.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Dequan1233 said:

I don't think Pirate Bay will get shut down. I don't know this, but I think its protected by hackers, at least that's what I have heard.

It's been "shutdown" multiple times but they just set up the servers elsewhere and start again. And I think now it's "in the cloud" whatever that means

Dequan1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dequan1233
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts

Ah ok, never actually knew a site could be shutdown multiple times.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Don't care as long as thepiratebay is left untouched.

Edit: I clicked on the article and waited for it to load while saying to myself "I wish its IsoHunt, that site is a cesspool". Yay :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

oh thank Gawd, Viooz and Justin.TV are safe

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

this could be bad long term, the court found that redirecting to other links is just as bad as pirating then a number of intermediate sites could face similar lawsuits, I hope this guy at least appeals this to a higher court

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Dequan1233 said:

It's been "shutdown" multiple times but they just set up the servers elsewhere and start again. And I think now it's "in the cloud" whatever that means

I believe that now the Pirate Bay's servers are located in Best Korea. Good like getting the authorities there to comply with shutting it down.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Nothing will change.

This falls, there will be another site up in weeks.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Ah who cares. The design of that website was absolutely awful, it was hard to tell if the file had enough seeders or not, so I never used it. Pirate Bay FTW.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Dequan1233 said:

You can download a copy of The Pirate Bay, including all the torrents, and it fits on a USB drive.
If it ever goes down, you can simply re-upload pirate bay in all it's former glory.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

Nothing will change.

This falls, there will be another site up in weeks.

yeah, exactly. Its like trying to take down a warlord in Africa or something. you kill one and theres a new even stronger one the next week~

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Good. **** 'em.

Zuzuvela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zuzuvela
Member since 2013 • 1993 Posts

For people asking about thepiratebay,its gonna be safe for two reasons

1. as someone said,its servers are located in North Korea so there is a lot of issues there

2. thepiratebay is also a political party in sweden (i think) so they get a certain amount of diplomatic immunity

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Zuzuvela said:

For people asking about thepiratebay,its gonna be safe for two reasons

1. as someone said,its servers are located in North Korea so there is a lot of issues there

2. thepiratebay is also a political party in sweden (i think) so they get a certain amount of diplomatic immunity

Not to mention it's general resiliency, they have tried to take down that website several times and even when they succeeded in doing so they were up again within couple of weeks to a couple of hours.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@worlock77 said:

@lostrib said:

@Dequan1233 said:

I believe that now the Pirate Bay's servers are located in Best Korea. Good like getting the authorities there to comply with shutting it down.

I'm surprised people can do such a thing; there's not even an entire geographical map of North Korea to this day.

How the hell do you contact anyone in NK - I always thought the country was on foreign lockdown for 99.999999999999% of people except for Dennis Rodman.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Isohunt is such a terrible site. Good riddance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

US Gov has nothing to worry with the dumbing down of technology. Soon websites will only be accessible via app, no more url entry websites, therefore isohunt for example would require an app to reach consumers but the app can be banned.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

That's funny, the article didn't mention Steam.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@playmynutz said:

US Gov has nothing to worry with the dumbing down of technology. Soon websites will only be accessible via app, no more url entry websites, therefore isohunt for example would require an app to reach consumers but the app can be banned.

Weren't the majority of android apps initially that? Just URL short cuts? That didn't work well.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Isohunt is such a terrible site. Good riddance.

This. ISOhunt had a terrible layout.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

I'm just worried that this will mean more of the big good torrent sites will be shut down.

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

@-Renegade said:

I'm just worried that this will mean more of the big good torrent sites will be shut down.

If only torrent sites would start paying congress. Then they wouldn't get shut down.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm surprised they are still trying this tactic after Piratebay was shutdown and came back up within days.

"It sends a strong message that those who build businesses around encouraging, enabling, and helping others to commit copyright infringement are themselves infringers, and will be held accountable for their illegal actions," said MPAA chairman Mr Dodd."

This is such a bullsh!t argument. Translation: "We don't have the resources to go after the people actually breaking copyright, so we're coming after you with a very vague argument instead".

I wonder when companies will finally start providing services for content like torrents that have something to encourage users to pay money rather than make illegal copies for free. Netflix, Steam, iTunes, Spotify, etc... are all working. Yet not available with all the content in all regions.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"Their site piracydata.org has been collating the weekly top 10 most-pirated films and investigating whether legal digital methods were available.

They found that half of the movies in the list were not available to access legally online. Furthermore, none of the 10 titles could be streamed - arguably the most straightforward way to consume media online."

Hmm, fancy that. What I've been saying for years is actually true. I think it's about time these media companies entered the 21st century.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I don't mind. It's not like it was my only source.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

*comes into thread to see if it's the site I use*

Nope. Good day.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

Bound to happen eventually.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@sammyjenkis898 said:

*comes into thread to see if it's the site I use*

Nope. Good day.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Just to point out, the idea of shutting down pirate website to help increase movie theater audience is a myth. Megaupload was shut down a couple of years ago and it was discovered that there was no significant increase in movie income in the same summer. 2012 year had the highest domestic revenue of all time and the largest number of movie premieres ever, even with rampant piracy the movie industry is still growing.. In 2001, European sales was around $8 billion and ten years later it grew to $22 billion, the exact same time as peer to peer sharing became popular. The same people who does illegal downloading of movies, are the same people who go to the theater and actually buy dvd copies.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jd1680a

@foxhound_fox said:

"Their site piracydata.org has been collating the weekly top 10 most-pirated films and investigating whether legal digital methods were available.

They found that half of the movies in the list were not available to access legally online. Furthermore, none of the 10 titles could be streamed - arguably the most straightforward way to consume media online."

Hmm, fancy that. What I've been saying for years is actually true. I think it's about time these media companies entered the 21st century.

Another thing to point out from this.

Lets assume Pacific Rim comes out on home video and was out in the theater a few months before. Lets also assume we got a maximum number of 10 million to see it, in real life it will be higher, but just using this as an example.

4 million people paid to see the movie when it was out in theater. 1.5 million people who saw the movie in the theater liked enough and decided to buy it on DVD or Blu Ray. An additional 1 million people decided to buy Pacific Rim on video after they seen it through their rental service like Netflix.

2 million people decides to illegally download it through peer to peer file sharing. The 2 million people decided that its not worth any money or time to see Pacific Rim in the theater or rent it from Red Box for $1. 1.5 million of these people are over 18 and have jobs that allow them to have enough disposable income to pay to see the movie in the theater, buy it on video or rent it from Red Box. The 500,000 left over are kids with no jobs,not sure how we would worry about these people when they don't have money to spend.

500,000 out of the 1.5 million people who illegal downloaded Pacific Rim liked it so much, they decided to go buy it on video. Making the total number of people who bought Pacific Rim for their home video collect at 2 million. These 500,000 people wouldn't have bought the movie on video if they hadn't tried before they buy, the number of people who have bought the movie would stayed at 1.5 million.

3 million people left over who have not seen Pacific Rim are people who don't want to see the movie regardless. We could make up any reason we want to on why people dont want to see Pacific Rim, either they don't have time, the movie isn't their cup of tea or they just don't go the movies and have other sources of entertainment.

The 1.5 million people who illegal downloaded Pacific Rim are also the same people who go see other movies in the theater. Maybe they already spent money the week before on another movie they had even more interest in, or maybe they just didn't have time when it came out so they decided to miss it for another movie a few weeks later. If there are ten other movies coming out within four weeks of each other, this is simply creates choices for people who want to see a movie in the theater. Not everyone is going to see every single movie that comes out and see it multiple times before it comes out on video.

Lets assume again, the studio decided to make a Pacific Rim 2 because how successful Pacific Rim 1 made in the theater and home video sales. It comes out in the theater and six million people went to tgo see Pacific Rim 2 because they liked the last movie so much they decided to pay $10 a head to see it. 1 million of those people are those who illegally downloaded it and more the likely wouldn't have seen it if they didn't illegally download Pacific Rim 1.

My point being is peer to peer file sharing of illegally downloading movies increases exposure. Causing people to have more interest in a movie they wouldn't have paid for if they didn't see it by downloading it. Fact of the matter, there will always be people who will never pay for something and instead take it because they don't have to pay for it, but I feel like these are the minority.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Another thing to point out from this.

Lets assume Pacific Rim comes out on home video and was out in the theater a few months before. Lets also assume we got a maximum number of 10 million to see it, in real life it will be higher, but just using this as an example.

4 million people paid to see the movie when it was out in theater. 1.5 million people who saw the movie in the theater liked enough and decided to buy it on DVD or Blu Ray. An additional 1 million people decided to buy Pacific Rim on video after they seen it through their rental service like Netflix.

2 million people decides to illegally download it through peer to peer file sharing. The 2 million people decided that its not worth any money or time to see Pacific Rim in the theater or rent it from Red Box for $1. 1.5 million of these people are over 18 and have jobs that allow them to have enough disposable income to pay to see the movie in the theater, buy it on video or rent it from Red Box. The 500,000 left over are kids with no jobs,not sure how we would worry about these people when they don't have money to spend.

500,000 out of the 1.5 million people who illegal downloaded Pacific Rim liked it so much, they decided to go buy it on video. Making the total number of people who bought Pacific Rim for their home video collect at 2 million. These 500,000 people wouldn't have bought the movie on video if they hadn't tried before they buy, the number of people who have bought the movie would stayed at 1.5 million.

3 million people left over who have not seen Pacific Rim are people who don't want to see the movie regardless. We could make up any reason we want to on why people dont want to see Pacific Rim, either they don't have time, the movie isn't their cup of tea or they just don't go the movies and have other sources of entertainment.

The 1.5 million people who illegal downloaded Pacific Rim are also the same people who go see other movies in the theater. Maybe they already spent money the week before on another movie they had even more interest in, or maybe they just didn't have time when it came out so they decided to miss it for another movie a few weeks later. If there are ten other movies coming out within four weeks of each other, this is simply creates choices for people who want to see a movie in the theater. Not everyone is going to see every single movie that comes out and see it multiple times before it comes out on video.

Lets assume again, the studio decided to make a Pacific Rim 2 because how successful Pacific Rim 1 made in the theater and home video sales. It comes out in the theater and six million people went to tgo see Pacific Rim 2 because they liked the last movie so much they decided to pay $10 a head to see it. 1 million of those people are those who illegally downloaded it and more the likely wouldn't have seen it if they didn't illegally download Pacific Rim 1.

My point being is peer to peer file sharing of illegally downloading movies increases exposure. Causing people to have more interest in a movie they wouldn't have paid for if they didn't see it by downloading it. Fact of the matter, there will always be people who will never pay for something and instead take it because they don't have to pay for it, but I feel like these are the minority.

Pacific Rim Sucked.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I got banned for making a thread about Demonoid shutting down and this thread is allowed?

This is such bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If you're still using public torrent websites, you're being dumb. Just a public service announcement.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jd1680a

@Nibroc420 said:

Pacific Rim Sucked.

No where of any portion of what I said was I making a judgement of Pacific Rim.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38  Edited By haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Torrenting isn't all bad. I use it often when new releases of Ubuntu or other distros come out, seeing as the main site is always bogged on release days, it's easier to just find a torrent and download it instead. So, it has it's legitimate uses too.

That being said you can shut them down but others will come back. Just look at what happened to MegaUpload. Kim Dotcom came back with MEGA.