Mad Max Fury Road is most overrated Action movie of all time??

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

Hello friends

I watched Mad max fury road week ago. I found it very underwelmingly.

first off story is very uninsteresting, the villain is forgattable, tom hardy character is barely used and movie is more about furiosa. it should have been called Mad furiosa. waste of Tom hardy talent here.

second is, how come its been called one of the best action movie of all time? I mean

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/awards/

looking at so many awards here.

Theres barely action here and when it has. its very underwelmingly. its not fun.

only good thing about this movie is nice cinemography, everything else is bland.

so anyone else think this movie was overrated? and overpraised? is it most overrated action movie of all time based on how critics praised it?

lets discuss

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2406 Posts

Great adventure movie. Watched it more than any other 2010s movie myself.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Thought it was good, but didn't rock my world or anything.

Wouldn't put it up alongside the likes of Robocop, Predator, Aliens, Terminator 2 and such as some top tier thing be revisiting for years to come.

Even something watched recently after 20 odd years of having never watched it (Starship Troopers) enjoyed that way more.

Think the main problem have is don't give a shit about any of the characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I knew exactly who made this thread.🤣

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Wow. I had an incredibly different experience. Saw that in theatres back in 2015 with my dad and brother. My heart was pumping so hard and I was thinking the whole time, "Wow! An action movie that really is keeping me on the edge of my seat".

Lots of action movies always felt so ridiculous and dumb to me. Any Jason Statham flick, Fast & Furious, the dime a dozen revenge flicks, etc. They come and go and I couldn't care less. Then out comes this Mad Max masterpiece and I finally was actually hooked from beginning to end.

Sorry you were bored of it, but man, I haven't felt that kind of interest in an action film since Speed.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@poe13 said:

Wow. I had an incredibly different experience. Saw that in theatres back in 2015 with my dad and brother. My heart was pumping so hard and I was thinking the whole time, "Wow! An action movie that really is keeping me on the edge of my seat".

Lots of action movies always felt so ridiculous and dumb to me. Any Jason Statham flick, Fast & Furious, the dime a dozen revenge flicks, etc. They come and go and I couldn't care less. Then out comes this Mad Max masterpiece and I finally was actually hooked from beginning to end.

Sorry you were bored of it, but man, I haven't felt that kind of interest in an action film since Speed.

John wick pretty much blow mad max out of water.

I was watching it feeling I dont care about these characters.

Jason statham latest wrath of man was incredible as well.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@ghosts4ever: John Wick 1 and 2 were good. Third one was fucking stupid. Total plot armor for John Wick throughout it but of course he never dies. If they could just make it more believable I would've liked it.

Wrath of Man looks similar to what I was talking about with all those Jason Statham boring-ass action movies. They were all over the place and always dumb. yawn....

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2406 Posts

People never talk about John Wick's story. Only the action (which some will find overdone and fake). Even Fury Road's criticizers will talk about how dumb the characters are or how feminist it is or how nothing happens or whatever. But with John Wick there's never really any discussion about what happened, because everyone was too bored to care. It's like a tech demo.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

I liked it. Big set pieces and spectacle, amazing acrobatics, unique visual style. I'll agree that plot and characters didn't have much going for them, but it was enough to loosly string togther all the bonkers shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I don't think it's the most overrated action movie of all time but it is a bit overrated.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

Loved it. Had to watch it a second time to really appreciate it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I think it's great and one of the most unique action movies. As soon as the car chase begins (which comprises the bulk of the movie), it's an action-packed rollercoaster. Watched it at the movie theater and it kept me at the edge of my seat. Sure the story and characters are not memorable but they're good enough to keep the ball rolling.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I really enjoyed it. But yeah if you are jumping on it now chances are the last few years of hype might be setting your expectations too high. When I saw this at release I was more expecting this to be just another failed reboot, like most modern reboots, and to that it far exceeded my expectations. The game that came out that same year was also pretty good, both managed to overcome the reboot and movies to game adaptation curses that plague the industries. Anyhow, if anything disappointed me about it, it's that they haven't made a follow up to Fury Road (and Mad Max game too!). Tom Hardy was signed to do like two more films I believe, but I also heard he was incredibly difficult to work with and fought with the director during production. I think I read he admitted he was frustrated not seeing how what they were doing was going to come together but in end it did. I also read Charlize Theron didn't get along with Tom Hardy either.

Further googling just now I also caught other stories about how the director is in dispute with WB over unpaid bonuses. They had made the film within the agreed budget but studio forced some re-shooting (that was ultimately omitted anyways) that took it over the agreed budget and thus the bonuses were withheld, but that was over the studios doing. Also originally WB wanted a 100 minute PG-13 movie and the director gave them a 120 minute R-rated feature. Ugh, seems this might just never happen.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8197 Posts

No where near as good as the original trilogy. Mel Gibson was alot better.

But it is a good movie compared to the stuff coming out at the time. I can't think of many action movies in the last 10 years that are better. But I can think of alot of 80s-90s movies that are better.

Movies have just gotten shittier and for modern standards fury road is a good action movie.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Yeah, it sucked. Thought you were gonna love it.

The scenes where cars go boom and people are killed are fun to watch. That's about it. Not sure why it's called Mad Max. Should be called Mad Furiosa.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Yeah, it sucked. Thought you were gonna love it.

The scenes where cars go boom and people are killed are fun to watch. That's about it. Not sure why it's called Mad Max. Should be called Mad Furiosa.

its a waste of tom hardy talent.