• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Is the macbook worth it? im having alot of my money saved up, but i wonder if its any good? :P

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

Macbooks are very good laptops.

They have very nice build quality, and are strong machines for the normal computer functions.(Internet Browsing, Photos, Videos, Music)

If you are going for a gaming laptop, then find a good laptop around the same price with a better graphics card.

Of course, you could always BootCamp the macbook to get windows on your mac for games if you wanted a little of both.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
macbook is capable, i guess. as long as you are not getting an ipad, you are fine.
vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

I got a Pro a month ago as my laptop for college, and i'm still in love with it. I was a windows person up till then, but the switch was no problem, and i actually do find most things easier.

And the trackpad is awesome, i have a usb mouse and i never use it because the trackpad actually works better and is more functional.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
what are you going to use it for?
Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts
I think that if you can get the education discount and you want good battery life, decent processing power, and OS X then yeah.
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 realistic44

what are you going to use it for?Fuhgeddabouditt

My education. and probably other features such as listening to music.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
You're going to be getting a great laptop, with top notch build quality. Its a blast to use on campus because of the long battery life, and the simplicity of the Apple OS. A lot of students at my college love using macbooks. But just do more research on other laptops, just in case you find something else that suits your needs. After all, you're paying a grand and a half for a macbook.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

:|

OT is offering positive points on a Mac.

The Macbook (especial Pro) is very good at everything but gaming (its decent, but not great).

I'm getting a Macbook pro or Imac for College (Probable get a cheap netbook also if I get Imac).

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

Worth it? No.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
They are good laptops, but like everything Apple makes, they are overpriced. You can probably get a Thinkpad (also great laptops, very durable/portable/powerful, but they use Windows) for a few hundred less than the entry level Macbook.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dercoo

Worth it? No.

RobboElRobbo

The bashing begins:P

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 realistic44

The Macbook (especial Pro) is very good at everything but gaming (its decent, but not great).

I'm getting a Macbook pro or Imac for College (Probable get a cheap netbook also if I get Imac).

dercoo

Well i have a ps3 for all of my gaming needs :P but is it good for college like typing up notes, writing essays and such?

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

realistic44

Well i have a ps3 for all of my gaming needs :P but is it good for college like typing up notes, writing essays and such?

Just get a $500 Asus netbook. 3 grand on a Mac isn't worth it. If you're rich then go for it.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

realistic44

I'm just saying if you are getting a into PC gaming then Macs are not a good choice. They excel at everything else pretty much.

Again I'm getting a Mac (graduation present).

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I got my MacBook Pro last month, and it's a good computer. Mac OS X is really awesome, and a well-built computer. If I we're you though I'd wait out until the updated MacBook comes out, there's a possibility that it's coming soon. I think I saw it on MDN it was leaked.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I know a friend who bought one. He was indeed very happy...

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

realistic44

if thats all your doing you dont NEED a mac then, if your not video editing or stuff like that(which ive heard they excel at) you really have no reason other than personal preference and/or free choice to buy one if you have the money.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

If you know how to use it, then it's worth it. My friend has all these features and applications that he utilizes for his studies and work, and it is pretty nifty.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Not for me. For a basic setup use linux, for an advanced coding or gaming setup use windows.
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="Fuhgeddabouditt"]what are you going to use it for?realistic44

My education. and probably other features such as listening to music.

well then buy a cheap notebook.
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

Is the macbook worth it? im having alot of my money saved up, but i wonder if its any good? :P

realistic44
iMac is much much better.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RobboElRobbo

If you know how to use it, then it's worth it. My friend has all these features and applications that he utilizes for his studies and work, and it is pretty nifty.

thattotally

How hard could it be to use a mac? :P

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RobboElRobbo
[QUOTE="cornholio157"]

[QUOTE="realistic44"]

dreDREb13

if thats all your doing you dont NEED a mac then, if your not video editing or stuff like that(which ive heard they excel at) you really have no reason other than personal preference and/or free choice to buy one if you have the money.

Eh. Macs have lost that edge over PCs in this day and age. Why would it at all be better? What makes Macs better at that? Magical fairy dust? All a person needs is a quad core processor with ample amounts of RAM and a decent video card. I recently made a computer that blows through video editing for around $900, compared to a $4000 Mac with the same specs. As for a Macbook? They ARE nice machines--just waaay overpriced. I wouldn't recommend it, but I guess if you want it, it'll last you a long while.

Yep, I built a PC last year for $500 Canadian and it's amazing at video editing.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

dercoo

Seriously though, that's pretty wierd of OT :lol:

I think their great laptops, and if I get a laptop it'll be a Macbook.

On playing games, they released Steam to Mac a few days ago, so everyone can have it now. If that matters for you.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

[QUOTE="cornholio157"]

[QUOTE="realistic44"]

dreDREb13

Eh. Macs have lost that edge over PCs in this day and age. Why would it at all be better? What makes Macs better at that? Magical fairy dust? All a person needs is a quad core processor with ample amounts of RAM and a decent video card. I recently made a computer that blows through video editing for around $900, compared to a $4000 Mac with the same specs. As for a Macbook? They ARE nice machines--just waaay overpriced. I wouldn't recommend it, but I guess if you want it, it'll last you a long while.

I'd have to agree being a Mac user these machines are way overpriced, but in all honesty I don't feel any guilt in purchasing a Mac. I felt that it's a well-built computer, that will last me years. But I would definitely agree that the Mac's are a bit overpriced, but so is all of Apple's products.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

IcyToasters

On playing games, they released Steam to Mac a few days ago, so everyone can have it now. If that matters for you.

Seems like I'm the only one actually bashing here. I'm disappointed in you, OT. :(

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
I would say it is most definitely worth it. :)
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#32 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I have a Macbook pro, and it's a great computer for the price you pay. Whether or not it's overpriced is subjective, but the resale value is undeniable, and the trackpad is hands down, the best in the industry. Plus, the battery life is exceptional for a laptop its size, and OSX runs really well on laptops.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I would definitely recommend it. I got one last August and I still can't believe how easy it is to use. My only complaint is that they are a little too pricey.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darth-Caedus
[QUOTE="dreDREb13"]I am very surprised... OT is RECOMMENDING Macs. Not just saying they're fine. QUICK, BASH THEM. PCS ARE THE BEST MACS SUCK.

BAH, U can't play gamez on them, they suck!!:x
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="realistic44"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

RobboElRobbo

Just get a $500 Asus netbook. 3 grand on a Mac isn't worth it. If you're rich then go for it.

Find me a laptop that can do video editing and not die in the process.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
I suggest a netbook if you're going to use it for school.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="realistic44"]

clyde46

A laptop? what kind of question is this, god any laptop can run Sony Vegas.

Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
[QUOTE="realistic44"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

RobboElRobbo

Umm its not 3 grand for a Macbook... But good call :lol:
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darth-Caedus
What are you planning on doing with it that would be double the price of a windows laptop? white_sox
Apple computers last a hell of a lot longer then most Windows computers in my experience. That alone is worth the price.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="white_sox"]What are you planning on doing with it that would be double the price of a windows laptop? Darth-Caedus
Apple computers last a hell of a lot longer then most Windows computers in my experience. That alone is worth the price.

I know people who are selling 4 year old Macbooks for £600 still.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts

Please note that I do this in the most humorous way.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RobboElRobbo
[QUOTE="white_sox"]What are you planning on doing with it that would be double the price of a windows laptop? Darth-Caedus

Nope. They last exactly the same. You just need to know how to maintain them, which isn't very difficult anyway.

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RobboElRobbo

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"][QUOTE="realistic44"]

clyde46

Show me where it says he was going to video edit...

C3Le5tiaL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 C3Le5tiaL
Member since 2009 • 278 Posts

I wouldn't get a Mac if you're a big PC gamer. If not, Macbooks are top notch for other media.

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

dreDREb13

Seems like I'm the only one actually bashing here. I'm disappointed in you, OT. :(

Well I hate Macs, too, but I go with the flow. 8)

i am also not a lover of mac, i was just being civil as to not be attacked relentlessly by mac lovers. i know a well build PC can do anything that macs are always being praised as "better" at for a greatly reduced price and the avalibility of upgrades without complete replacements(something i think apple fears as its undoing:P) personally id never buy a mac, even in a profesional environment its doubtful id get one.