Lostprophets singer pleads GUILTY to child sex charges

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/11/26/former-lostprophets-vocalist-ian-watkins-pleads-guilty-child-sex-charges/

So this story cropped up originally like a year or so ago when the accusations were first made against Ian, but it has been dormant for a while now while the trial was getting set up.

Well after sitting there and denying the accusations for some time, Ian has apparently gone and plead GUILTY to all the charges, which includes one of the most disturbing charges I have ever seen with "two accounts of attempting to rape an 11-month old".

I am kind of surprised that he didn't try and at least fight the charges, not because I thought he was innocent, but because I would have expected a rock-star with some fame and likely some money to use both of those to their full-extent to try and fight the charges.

This is sad considering as how I am (obviously) a fan of the band. I may not be as into them as I once was (that isn't because of the situation though, but just because I went on to explore more and more music) but the band DOES hold a special place in my heart. They came around at the perfect time in my life when I was dealing with alot of shit as a teenager. I had latched onto the band during that time so they have left their mark in my life.

It really sucks to see a musician you had been a fan of turn out to be an absolutely DISGUSTING individual.

Not sure how many other people here were actually fans of the band, but I know this story had been fairly big considering the disgusting accusations that had been made (which it seems were disgustingly TRUE) so I figured I should make a topic about this update in the case.

For those wondering, the band had broken up in response to the accusations some months ago.

I guess it's time now for Ian to cry himself a river now that he has gone and ruined his life.

BTW, anyone else think it is interesting how his time in jail has turned him from being that pretty-boy rockstar to actually LOOKING like a disgusting child predator?

devantechisolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 devantechisolm  Staff
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

Wow. I can honestly say that I won't hear that band the same way again. Sucks for the other members that he put a stain on their image. Hopefully their music careers continue elsewhere.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Just curious, TC, how does this affect your stance on the band?

What I mean is, this reminds me of the Roman Polanski situation. Some people say, "f*** Roman Polanski movies, I'll never support that child rapist." Whereas other people say, "I agree that Roman Polanski's actions were evil, but I only watch his movies because awesome movies are beneficial to me. As long as his movies continue to be awesome, then I'll continue to enjoy them purely out of self-interest."

So...where do you stand? I'm not placing any judgements here. I understand and sympathize with both points of view. But I'm just curious what your stance is on "separating the art from the artist". Are you still going to continue to enjoy the music despite (one of) the (supposedly main) creators being a despicable human being? Or is it now, like, this $hit is so bad that you can't enjoy anything he had a hand in making? Again, I'm not judging at all, I'm just curious.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@MrGeezer said:

Just curious, TC, how does this affect your stance on the band?

What I mean is, this reminds me of the Roman Polanski situation. Some people say, "f*** Roman Polanski movies, I'll never support that child rapist." Whereas other people say, "I agree that Roman Polanski's actions were evil, but I only watch his movies because awesome movies are beneficial to me. As long as his movies continue to be awesome, then I'll continue to enjoy them purely out of self-interest."

So...where do you stand? I'm not placing any judgements here. I understand and sympathize with both points of view. But I'm just curious what your stance is on "separating the art from the artist". Are you still going to continue to enjoy the music despite (one of) the (supposedly main) creators being a despicable human being? Or is it now, like, this $hit is so bad that you can't enjoy anything he had a hand in making? Again, I'm not judging at all, I'm just curious.

I don't think it will completely ruin the band for me. It isn't like I had been actively listening to the band lately. They are one of those bands who I might throw their CD in every now and then when the mood is right.

I have no idea how this would have effected me had this happened like 10 years ago when I was HEAVILY into the band (I used to sit there listening to their first two albums over and over and over). I feel like my having kind of fallen away from the band over the years has kept this news from ruining the band for me.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Tc you immediately popped up in my head when I saw this news. I wouldnt even know who these guys are if it wasnt for you lol

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LostProphetFLCL

@Capitan_Kid said:

Tc you immediately popped up in my head when I saw this news. I wouldnt even know who these guys are if it wasnt for you lol

Hehe, I figured I was the perfect person to be bringing this news to OT. :P

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

"It really sucks to see a musician you had been a fan of turn out to be an absolutely DISGUSTING individual."

I've listened to a lot of black metal, so I'm kinda use to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

LostProphetFLCL is going to hear about this

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@worlock77 said:

"It really sucks to see a musician you had been a fan of turn out to be an absolutely DISGUSTING individual."

I tought u listen to chinese song ...... base on your avatar

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77

@hippiesanta said:

@worlock77 said:

I tought u listen to chinese song ...... base on your avatar

Good to see some users here aren't getting any brighter.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

Laptop password: "Ifuckkids"

That's fucking disgusting.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LostProphetFLCL

@sammyjenkis898 said:

The whole story is very disturbingly disgusting. This makes the whole MJ thing look tame in comparison...

Even more messed up that the kids MOMS who were a part of it to and were essentially trying to whore out their toddler/young children....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

The whole story is very disturbingly disgusting. This makes the whole MJ thing look tame in comparison...

Even more messed up that the kids MOMS who were a part of it to and were essentially trying to whore out their toddler/young children....

Neither is "tame"....

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Never heard of them before

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

great edgy nick choice, in retrospect, though

is this the online equivalent of tattooing 'tina' on your arm?

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I remember way back defending him because I thought he hadn't paid some extortion fee somewhere and so they throw the old sex offender trick at him to turn the public/media against him. I read up on the case on BBC news and it seems pretty solid he was a baaaaad apple. Jesus christ, i feel sorry for my friend who brought both their albums.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Neither is "tame"....

That's not what he said.

He's right, though.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

"Attempting to rape an 11-months old" wtf does that even mean? How could someone go about raping an eleven month old? I get that some people are just fucked up in the head and are disturbed sociopaths, but this makes no sense. Its like wanting to rape the floor.
My guess is that the guy was just trying to come up with the most heinous atrocity that would be of intense shock value. He may have been trying to garner some attention or be relevant and enjoy some fame time, or maybe he was getting bored of his career and celebrityhood and decided to say "**** it" and leads to the demise of the band and his name. Regardless he was not too clever about the whole thing.

Anyway this is why fandom is a pretty idiotic thing. You pretty much know nothing about all these celebrities except for what they're PR managers want you to know. And even if you truly knew a celebrity, what's in it for you, given how you don't know him/her in person and will probably never do. Why waste you energy and affection for people who are for the most part shitty self-centric people and don't give a damn about you. Just enjoy the leisure/entertainment value they provide you with and **** the rest.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

fear before even thinking.

Wooooooow.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

MJ wasn't a pedophile, I'm hardly naive, but MJ was just trying to gain a childhood he never had via the way kids see things. People did and say what they did because of what they could gain from it.

A tragic story of a private person constantly in the public eye from 1st grade on. That combo does not work.

But this story is horrible.

Regent192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Regent192
Member since 2009 • 6789 Posts

this is just sad

I also like this band's music, but this situation just ruined it for me......

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Such a sad story of hopelessness and tragedy, that a band like Lost Prophets were actually given a record deal.

I mean, come the **** on. The humanity....

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

If he was than Hang him. for justice.

rapists deserve to be publicity hang so that another person can not do it and fear before even thinking.

Notice you said he should be hung....you didnt say you would hang him. If your going to vocally support murder have the guts to do it yourself. Dont make society support your ignorance.

The hangman died a long time ago because society evolved and realised that public spectacle of "eye for an eye" retaliation was backwards. If I am correct very few states in the US support the death penalty and it can take many many years for death row inmates to be murdered. I feel just as much disgust as any other man with regards to child abuse, I agree they should be punished swiftly and removed from healthy functioning society. However we cannot simply murder those who do not conform to the norms of society.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Baby rape?

The guy sounds like one of the sickest f*cks in the history of sick f*cks.

Their music sounds like crappy nu-metal/emo stuff I would never be into, but I have to say, I feel sorry for his bandmates. He really f*cked them over. Just think of the lost profits!

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

@Audacitron said:

Just think of the lost profits!

rofl

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

That's the most f*cked up things I've ever heard. Ugh.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 worlock77

@Audacitron said:

Baby rape?

The guy sounds like one of the sickest f*cks in the history of sick f*cks.

Their music sounds like crappy nu-metal/emo stuff I would never be into, but I have to say, I feel sorry for his bandmates. He really f*cked them over. Just think of the lost profits!

/thread

nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

If he was than Hang him. for justice.

rapists deserve to be publicity hang so that another person can not do it and fear before even thinking.

lol jankarcop