Loss Of Steel Jobs Lingers In Fairfield

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Not sure if this belongs here, and if not please move it to OT.

NPR has gone to Alabama, and they spoke with some people who use to work at a steel mill that was recently closed, how it affected them, and why they like Trump despite, in at least one person's case, being a lifelong Democrat. People are upset that their careers disappeared, and a lot are old enough to face age discrimination. One guy says he may not be too old to learn to use a computer, particularly how to become a programmer but damn if it doesn't seem that way to him every time he tries.

This is very much worth a listen.

As someone else mentioned the negative effects of globalism are narrow, but very deep. We've never been really effective at taking care of the people hurt by it, and that includes retraining various retraining efforts around the country. This is part of that story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think we aren't aware of the impact a lot of things have had on towns and states, and individuals. I think our country has been very much turned into a "service country" since most of the manufacturing jobs have been taken away.

Oil and gas companies are another thing. They can come in and boast about all of these jobs they will create, but I'm not so sure that these towns and property owners really see anything in return for it. Maybe initially some jobs are created, but I have to wonder if that carries on for long.

Computers have definitely had an impact. Now many grocery stores are building new departments that cater to online shoppers. I am almost 30 and I have been lagging behind understanding a lot of the latest modern technology trends for a few years now - I am really not at the forefront of any of this and don't understand things nowadays as well as a guy 10 years younger than me that has a smartphone and follows social trends. I'm willing to bet that today's tech savvy will have a difficult time adjusting to inevitable changes to the norm in coming years, but the next wave of young adults will take right to the new thing.