Looney Tunes Cartoons: A Return to Cartoon Greatness?

#1 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -

If you're from the old school of watching classic cartoons like me you, might remember watching the old Warner Bros. Looney Tunes cartoons growing up. Sure, there have been some attempts to bring them back the last 20 years or so, but they have been in range from meh like The Looney Tunes Show, to bad, like Wabbit, to straight up trash like Space Jam (Yeah, I said it!) But now, it looks like they are coming back to true form.

On Wednesday, at the Annecy Animation Festival in France, Warner Bros. Animation debuted Looney Tunes Cartoons, a new collection of animated shorts--ranging from 1 to 7 minutes in length--that is a return to the wackiness they were known for. Last year, the studio announced they are producing over 1000 minutes of new animation. After premiering over 10 shorts to the crowd, the studio released one of them online:

After seeing this, I am impressed with the overall quality of the animation. It show that they are not messing around. There;s no announcement on an official release date, but the studio announced the shorts will be coming to the public in multiple formats--TV, streaming, online, and even theatrical releases.

What do you think? Any Looney Tunes fans wanna chime in?

#2 Posted by DaVillain- (36931 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: Is Looney Tunes still comes on Boomerang? It's been years since I watch anything from Boomerang. The very last thing I watch was Looney Tunes Show and it was a hit or a miss but nothing to write home about and I would love seeing the return of Loonatics Unleashed. Looking at this, I'm glad they didn't try to pull a Teen Titans Go style, just keep it up to date with the old school style but at the same time, I don't think there's any way to truly revitalize the Looney Tunes brand itself - it is, what it was, and more than Disney's characters, I feel that they are deeply tied to the acts of their own creation.

As much as I like Looney Tunes back in the day, I would at least like to see the return of Tiny Toons Adventures.

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166615 posts) -

Looney Tunes is my favorite cartoons.

#4 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -

@davillain- said: @hallenbeck77: Is Looney Tunes still comes on Boomerang? It's been years since I watch anything from Boomerang. The very last thing I watch was Looney Tunes Show and it was a hit or a miss but nothing to write home about and I would love seeing the return of Loonatics Unleashed. Looking at this, I'm glad they didn't try to pull a Teen Titans Go style, just keep it up to date with the old school style but at the same time, I don't think there's any way to truly revitalize the Looney Tunes brand itself - it is, what it was, and more than Disney's characters, I feel that they are deeply tied to the acts of their own creation.

As much as I like Looney Tunes back in the day, I would at least like to see the return of Tiny Toons Adventures.

You...actually liked Loonatics Unleashed?! Wow... With the massive backlash that show got from both fans and even some of the Warner Studio execs, I don't think they will ever bring that show back. I think its because the backlash from both Loonatics and The Looney Tunes Show, that's the reason they are bringing the original characters back properly.

As for Tiny Toons, not only does Hulu have the rights to stream the original show, they are making a revival series there as well, with Spielberg coming back as executive producer, premiering sometime next year. I just hope they have a talented creative staff behind it as well.

After seeing the clip above, I have to admit that this does look promising.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (33685 posts) -

You're never too old for Looney Tunes.

#6 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -

@davillain-: BTW...Boomerang still has reruns of the originals, albeit some of them are edited, while others will never see broadcast ever again. If you can do yourselves a favor and get them on DVD or Blu-ray where they are not only remastered, but still uncensored.

#7 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

You're never too old for Looney Tunes.

Amen to that!

#8 Posted by Chutebox (44657 posts) -

I can't stand the crap my kids watch today. Been looking for look old school cartoons like this

#9 Posted by johnd13 (9752 posts) -

That's great news. I miss the old Looney Tunes.

#10 Edited by shellcase86 (4431 posts) -

Looney Tunes is the GOAT. Very pleased with this announcement!

#11 Posted by mattbbpl (17220 posts) -

I like this idea a lot. I'm less keen on the idea of bringing back Tiny Toons as it kind of served as a warm up act to the Animaniacs style and pacing. When it comes back, it would be interesting to see them fully embrace it this time - the potential is certainly there.

#12 Posted by Horgen (120608 posts) -

What's wrong with rewatching the old ones?

#13 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@horgen said:

What's wrong with rewatching the old ones?

A good chunk of those cartoons are still not available to watch without resorting to pirating. There's about 1,000 shorts that was released officially; While some of them are currently available on DVD and Blu-ray, not all of them will be released due to the costs of both remastering the original shorts and putting them out--the sets used to be an annual release, but the studio stopped due to slowly declining sales. Not to mention that some of those cartoons are extremely problematic to release due to the racial stereotypes depicted. (The most infamous of them are known as the Censored Eleven). Some of the cartoons shown on reruns on Boomerang are are also edited for violence.

At least they are going with with the whole look and feel of the original shorts from the '40s then trying to re-invent them again.

#14 Posted by Sevenizz (3908 posts) -

Wow, they gave Bugs his classic look!

Color me intrigued. Let’s hope the SJWs of the world don’t ruin it.

#15 Posted by Horgen (120608 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: That is a bummer. The violence in the old ones were so over the top that everyone understands it is just a cartoon and not realistic. I have seen some of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons with my son and he finds it hilarious with the super violence.

#16 Posted by Ovirew (9083 posts) -

Uhh the animation was okay, but holy ADHD.

#17 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@horgen said:

That is a bummer. The violence in the old ones were so over the top that everyone understands it is just a cartoon and not realistic. I have seen some of the old Tom and Jerry cartoons with my son and he finds it hilarious with the super violence.

Tom & Jerry are still great to watch. I got most--if not all of them on DVD, and they still show the violence intact on Boomerang. The only thing I know they cut from the TV broadcasts are the gags that involve blackface.

#18 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@Ovirew said:

Uhh the animation was okay, but holy ADHD.

Well, this particular show is only a minute long, so they're gonna squeeze in as much as they can. And at least the animation doesn't look like that cheap Flash animation that a lot of cartoons use now.

#19 Posted by DaVillain- (36931 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@davillain-: BTW...Boomerang still has reruns of the originals, albeit some of them are edited, while others will never see broadcast ever again. If you can do yourselves a favor and get them on DVD or Blu-ray where they are not only remastered, but still uncensored.

Blu-Ray collection sounds more interesting to buy so I can share this classic cartoons with my daughter. And yeah, I did like Loonatics Unleashed only because it was part of Saturday Morning cartoons along with Jackie Chan Adventures, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh when WB still love Saturdays.

#20 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Blu-Ray collection sounds more interesting to buy so I can share this classic cartoons with my daughter. And yeah, I did like Loonatics Unleashed only because it was part of Saturday Morning cartoons along with Jackie Chan Adventures, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh when WB still love Saturdays.

The Blu-Ray collections (which are called the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection) are great; however the Looney Tunes Golden Collection (the name of the DVD series) are definitely worth getting as well--remastered picture, tons of bonus stuff, including MORE cartoons. You can get all six volumes (which contain over 350 shorts) as a bundle for about $75 on Amazon.

#21 Posted by Homiegesus (5706 posts) -

Oh wow! I'm really enjoying the animation on that clip you posted Although I have a much stronger affinity towards Hanna-Barbera, I grew up watching Looney Tunes in syndication and always loved the animation and chaotic nature behind it. I loved the various theatrical compilation movies they released in the late 70's and 80's like The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner movie, because the animation in theatrical form is just magical to me. To be honest tho, I think I would rather just enjoy the classic feel/sound/look in the background or during holidays, but am excited for maybe a new generation to appreciate the classic style that Looney Tunes had to offer in a newer way.

#22 Posted by judaspete (2991 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: Which is worse, Space Jam or Looney Toons: Back in Action?

#23 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@judaspete said:

Which is worse, Space Jam or Looney Toons: Back in Action?

Space Jam by a WIDE margin. I know some people have some nostalgia attached to it, but the whole movie is a prime example of soulless, corporate movie making. Jordan obviously can't act, the Looney Tunes hardly do anything they are noted for, and the writing was simply horrid. The whole thing simply feels like it was made just to sell merchandise. Back in Action felt somewhat better, but not by much.

#24 Posted by Horgen (120608 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:
@davillain- said:

The Blu-Ray collections (which are called the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection) are great; however the Looney Tunes Golden Collection (the name of the DVD series) are definitely worth getting as well--remastered picture, tons of bonus stuff, including MORE cartoons. You can get all six volumes (which contain over 350 shorts) as a bundle for about $75 on Amazon.

Looks like I have another blu-ray purchase to make this summer.

#25 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15754 posts) -
@horgen said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@davillain- said:

Looks like I have another blu-ray purchase to make this summer.

There's three volumes of the blu-ray sets, just as a heads up.

#26 Posted by Horgen (120608 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: thank you

#27 Posted by Evil_Loli (160 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: I mean, Looney Tunes is good and all but I always prefer Tom & Jerry original show more so. More entertaining then just about any classic old school cartoons in my opinion.