Looking to buy a leather jacket. Need some advice.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Call it a mid-life crisis, but I think it’s about time that I get myself a good leather jacket. I’ve looked a bit into this but it’s all a tad intimidating. The best leather, brands, workmanship. I’ve read a good starter jacket kicks off at around $300 and can go on up to $2K+. My budget is $3-500. I was at a Wilson’s leather shop today with jackets that were on clearance. I found one I liked for $150 down from $400. Smelled fishy, said it was genuine leather on label, not pleather. Still, held off.

Should I buy from a store or get it custom fit? I’ve read these jackets can last for many years so it’ll be an investment but I don’t want to take the plunge on one I’ll regret.

Anyone out there have a leather jacket, and if so how did you go about deciding? Should I get goat, lamb, cow? How hard are they to maintain? To break in?

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

Eh I'd ask on a fashion subreddit, there'd be more diversity of semi-informed opinion there maybe. I bought a blue lambskin jacked from Diesel a few years back, I somewhat regret it given what I payed.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Maybe mention the specific style of jacket (blazer, bomber, etc..,) you want rather than just an ambiguous "leather jacket."

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

i watched gomorrah early last year, saw ciro di marzio's hooded leather jacket, liked it and went to find one as close to it as possible. it has a detachable hood so i can rock the moody, neapolitan mafia don look, or the dressier, more respectable hoodless look at will. that's about as much thought as i put into it ha

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MirkoS77
@Solaryellow said:

Maybe mention the specific style of jacket (blazer, bomber, etc..,) you want rather than just an ambiguous "leather jacket."

I'm not looking for specific style recommendations, but of broad purchasing advice for leather overall. But I suppose bomber would be in the direction I'd go, if that makes any difference in you giving advice.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@Solaryellow said:

I'm not looking for specific style recommendations, but of broad purchasing advice for leather overall. But I suppose bomber would be in the direction I'd go, if that makes any difference in you giving advice.

Bomber jacket? Buy one that is either fully broken in (i.e. looks like a stuntman used it) or one that is not perfect. Regardless what condition you think you may want, eventually you will want it to look like a used and well worn piece.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Depends on how much you willing to spend, you could either go to Burlington Coat Factory for nice ones at an affordable price, or you could go for brand names like http://www.belstaff.com or http://www.merchoid.com to feed your inner nerd with jackets from Games, Movies, and Comics.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

Bomber jackets are pretty 80s.

Get something good vintage, that will be timeless. Think Brad Pitts red leather jacket from fightclub, and you have the style I’m talking about.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Typed "leather jacket buyers guide" into Google.

https://effortlessgent.com/leather-jacket-buying-guide/

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MirkoS77

^^^that's a nice and very helpful find, thanks. The jacket Jeff's wearing is exactly what I'm looking for.

So I guess it isn't a bomber? This is considered a vintage? @Baconstrip78

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

Best leather it not made anymore so to be in luck you go to thrift shop. Fashion leather jacket not made so well, unless it motorcycle and it must function too.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MirkoS77

My main issue is that if I'm spending so much money on a piece of clothing ($500+), at that point I want to get it custom fit and not buy it off the rack. Leather jackets are handmade, and if I'm going to shell out so much money they should be tailored to my fit as well. I've been searching for stores in NYC that do this but can find none which is frustrating. New York should have tons. There are online outlets but I want to go in and speak to someone who does custom jobs.

This is driving me nuts.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@MirkoS77:

It much easier to find custom shop it sound like for you. You still might pay but maybe look for artist which know how but not have the same money as corporation. Maybe you not want to pay for such custome work. It what it worth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

My main issue is that if I'm spending so much money on a piece of clothing ($500+), at that point I want to get it custom fit and not buy it off the rack. Leather jackets are handmade, and if I'm going to shell out so much money they should be tailored to my fit as well. I've been searching for stores in NYC that do this but can find none which is frustrating. New York should have tons. There are online outlets but I want to go in and speak to someone who does custom jobs.

This is driving me nuts.

I imagine tailored leather would be ridiculously expensive. Even if you find it something local.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

This is driving me nuts.

If you can find an online tailor, you could just go to a local tailor and get your full measurements done and send it to the online shop.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

https://www.celebritiesoutfits.com/bane-dark-knight-black-jacket-coat

Legit cool jacket.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

It’s a shame Danier Leather went out of business because they made awesome leather jackets. I still have a few and they can be worn without looking out of date.

Banana Republic sells decent leather coats. They’re probably discounted in price with the season coming to an end.

*edit - scratch Banana Republic. I just looked at their current offerings and they look stupid. ‘Vegan leather coat’? What the hell is that?

Cooperino217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cooperino217
Member since 2019 • 16 Posts

bomber <3