Living without food

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -

So apparently a woman is trying to live without food, drinking only water and apparently taking in sunlight. I don't think this woman has studied biology, pretty sure nutrients are necessary for cellular reproduction, without which we will die. Do you think these woman is nuts? and will she die, I'm gonna say probably. 

http://myfox8.com/2013/06/06/woman-living-on-just-water-and-sunlight/

#2 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

Good god that woman is a moron.

#3 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
Unless her water is loaded with carbohydrates and essential amino acids, yes she will die. I'm okay with that.
#4 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15756 posts) -
I think normal people who go on extreme diets are nuts.........................She's just insane.........
#5 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

It's her life, but science will be interested if she does in fact master the art of human photosynthisis lol

#6 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -

It's her life, but science will be interested if she does in fact master the art of human photosynthisis lol

Yusuke420
I have a feeling the only thing she will master is dying of starvation, and science has already studied that plenty.
#7 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The gene pool thanks her for withdrawing her contribution.
#8 Posted by Iceozo (6441 posts) -

Goddamn she's dumb.

Avatar image for Rioichi21Cooper
#9 Posted by Rioichi21Cooper (241 posts) -

It's her choice I suppose, if she dies it's her own fault.

#10 Posted by --Anna-- (4618 posts) -

So apparently a woman is trying to live without food, drinking only water and apparently taking in sunlight. I don't think this woman has studied biology, pretty sure nutrients are necessary for cellular reproduction, without which we will die. Do you think these woman is nuts? and will she die, I'm gonna say probably. 

http://myfox8.com/2013/06/06/woman-living-on-just-water-and-sunlight/

ferrari2001

Just another idiot.

#11 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
I don't think she'll die. Starvation is not sudden and she's in the spotlight now and presumably surrounded by people.
#12 Posted by konvikt_17 (22378 posts) -

3urwih.jpg.

#13 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

must be related to that indian guy who claims to have lived for 70 years without food.....they are deluded liars

#14 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I remember running away from home as a kid. I gave up on it after an hour and came home. Anyway, she's not going to starve to death. She'll get hungry.

#15 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10644 posts) -
"...a woman..." I stopped reading right there.
#16 Posted by Sir_Graham (3983 posts) -

Wow she is even crazier than the feminists who ignore biological factors. 

#17 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

She wont die. I'm sure if her health gets clearly endangered she'll start to eat again, right?

#18 Posted by punkpunker (3383 posts) -

she will quit in the first week.

#19 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -

She wont die. I'm sure if her health gets clearly endangered she'll start to eat again, right?

sune_Gem
Even if she doesn't, someone will take her to a hospital before anything super serious happened. Like someone else said, starvation isn't sudden. Her primary worry is ketoacidosis, and the symptoms of that are pretty prominent. Someone will take notice and get her help.
#20 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -

punkpunker
Well she hasn't eaten in 33 days so she's made it past a week.
#21 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

UCF_Knight

Even if she doesn't, someone will take her to a hospital before anything super serious happened. Like someone else said, starvation isn't sudden. Her primary worry is ketoacidosis, and the symptoms of that are pretty prominent. Someone will take notice and get her help.

Pretty much. What if she actually succeeds though? :o

#22 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

sune_Gem

Pretty much. What if she actually succeeds though? :o

Then her liver should be extensively researched for its super gluconeogenesis capabilities. :P
#23 Posted by Sir_Graham (3983 posts) -

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

UCF_Knight

I hope not. I think the more we allow darwinism to happen the better chance humans have of long term survival.

#24 Posted by LAN7ERN (352 posts) -
She will not survive for long, what an idiot.
#25 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -
She must eat to survive. It is biology.
#26 Posted by solidruss (24082 posts) -

She must eat to survive. It is biology.BranKetra

Tell me more of this Bi-olo-gee you speak of :P

#27 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]She must eat to survive. It is biology.solidruss

#28 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

ferrari2001

As the old adage goes: 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water and 3 minutes without air. I'm surprised she has made it that long and not suffered the effects of starvation yet.
#29 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="solidruss"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]She must eat to survive. It is biology.ferrari2001

funny-science-pictures.jpg

#30 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]She must eat to survive. It is biology.solidruss

I am saying it just because some individuals are believing in the extremes of religious power to suppress starvation like one Buddhist boy who said he did not eat for about a year and sat at a tree. People want to believe in overcoming biological limitations through faith.
#31 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

Zeviander

As the old adage goes: 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water and 3 minutes without air. I'm surprised she has made it that long and not suffered the effects of starvation yet.

Depending on body fat you can go far longer then 3 weeks without food. Although I have my doubts that she hasn't eaten at all. I bet she's cheated at some point.
#32 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7016 posts) -
Natural selection at its slowest. I hope she hasn't bred yet.
#33 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Depending on body fat you can go far longer then 3 weeks without food. Although I have my doubts that she hasn't eaten at all. I bet she's cheated at some point. ferrari2001
The human will is a very powerful thing. In Jainism, it is considered a very holy act to starve oneself to death.
#34 Posted by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

I can't wait to see what happen six months later.. ?! ... or maybe I don't wanna know.

#35 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

I can't wait to see what happen six months later.. ?! ... or maybe I don't wanna know.

Dogswithguns

She'll look like this.

theskinnyjeanprojectdotblogspotdotcom.jp

#36 Posted by SandwichLord (44 posts) -
I've read about a morbidly obese guy that went over a year without consuming anything but water, although he was under doctor supervision and taking vitamins and supplements. She's probably extremely malnourished.
#37 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

she uses plant food sticks as suppositories.

th?id=H.4511439010005644&pid=15.1

#38 Posted by nunovlopes (2638 posts) -

3urwih.jpg.

konvikt_17

:lol::lol::lol:

#39 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -

Good god that woman is a moron.

Guybrush_3
#41 Posted by gamerguru100 (12701 posts) -
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="punkpunker"]

Zeviander

It's actually four days without water and two minutes without oxygen. Nice try though. :P Also, depending on body fat storage and health, some adults can go as long as two months without food.
#42 Posted by Iceozo (6441 posts) -

I thought you can survive around 5 minutes without oxygen before your brain starts to die.

#43 Posted by gamerguru100 (12701 posts) -

I thought you can survive around 5 minutes without oxygen before your brain starts to die.

Iceozo
After two minutes you go unconscious. After that, brain death occurs.
#44 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5895 posts) -
Having six cameras in the house will "prove" she's not eating anything? How'd they figure that? Unless, of course, she's chained to the house and cannot leave...
#45 Posted by N30F3N1X (8745 posts) -

From a purely energetical viewpoint she'd be right - humans emanate about ~500W of energy through thermal radiation and receive about ~400W from their surroundings, for a net loss of ~100W. Prolonged exposure to the sun should raise the energy received from the environment to vastly compensate what we radiate and add some for nighttime or cloudy weather.

Of course, not even the photovoltaic experiment Einstein used to get his Nobel is that simple, let alone a biological organism.

Ah, well. Natural selection at its finest.

#46 Posted by Iceozo (6441 posts) -

[QUOTE="Iceozo"]

gamerguru100

That can't be entirely true. I once held my breath in class for 2 and a half minutes and I didn't go unconscious. Maybe there's a bit of give and take? :P 

#47 Posted by JohnF111 (14187 posts) -
"A Seattle woman" ... nough said.
#48 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Iceozo"]

Iceozo

That can't be entirely true. I once held my breath in class for 2 and a half minutes and I didn't go unconscious. Maybe there's a bit of give and take? :P 

There are deep sea free divers that can hold their breath for several minutes. Of course its not true, its just an arbitrary number used by people that don't know much about human physiology. People have held their breath much longer without going unconscious, much less having 'brain death'. :roll:
#49 Posted by The_Lipscomb (2603 posts) -

not gonna happen lip.

#50 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -
[QUOTE="Iceozo"]

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"] After two minutes you go unconscious. After that, brain death occurs. UCF_Knight

There are deep sea free divers that can hold their breath for several minutes. Of course its not true, its just an arbitrary number used by people that don't know much about human physiology. People have held their breath much longer without going unconscious, much less having 'brain death'. :roll:

Chris Angel held his breath for 17 minutes. You can train the human body to do incredible things.