Let's talk about Poland

• 50 results
#1 Edited by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

I would like to talk about Poland and Poles. I couldn't hear a lot about this nation. Whether you can tell me what they are and what are famous for?

Edit: It can be also off topic if you want

#2 Posted by mattbbpl (16497 posts) -

Incoming jokes in 3... 2... 1...

#3 Posted by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@lopzefc: Political talk about Poland? If not, try regular OT.

#4 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

Poland cannot into space.

#5 Posted by mattbbpl (16497 posts) -

@horgen said:

I could be wrong, but I think this is supposed to be a setup for the Polish Joke trope. That last line in the OP looks like a dead giveaway to me.

#6 Posted by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@horgen said:

I could be wrong, but I think this is supposed to be a setup for the Polish Joke trope. That last line in the OP looks like a dead giveaway to me.

Despite having dated a polish girl for some years, I got no polish jokes =/

#7 Edited by Solaryellow (4556 posts) -

Vodka, Pierogi, etc..,

#8 Posted by N64DD (11323 posts) -

In b4 lock

#9 Posted by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

@n64dd: Because I want to talk about Poland?

#10 Posted by Jacanuk (17483 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:

Hmm, incoming jokes?

Didn´t know polish people had their own jokes but perhaps you could lead with one?

#11 Posted by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@n64dd said:

In b4 lock

It hinges on which direction the discussion takes. None political and I'll lock it.

Either last year or 2017, they made some changes to the laws regarding judges. Not entirely sure what they were, except that they were meant to help with corruption in the legal system, and by others claimed they won't help much as judges would be much more affected by politicians instead.

#12 Edited by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

So I cannot write like a free person? Subjects sometimes are associated and it should not be treated as something bad. It is unfair. I hope that this time we will be able to talk like a free people anyway.

#13 Posted by N64DD (11323 posts) -

@lopzefc: What about Poland do you want to talk about?

#14 Edited by mattbbpl (16497 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Hmm, incoming jokes?

Didn´t know polish people had their own jokes but perhaps you could lead with one?

They became popular in the US in the 60s, becoming a cliche as time wore on. I included a link to information about their history in the US in an earlier post.

#15 Posted by Jacanuk (17483 posts) -

@mattbbpl said:
@Jacanuk said:
@mattbbpl said:

Hmm, incoming jokes?

They became popular in the US in the 60s, becoming a cliche as time wore on. I included a link to information about their history in the US in an earlier post.

Hmm, never noticed that and thanks for the link, did not see it before

Guess my area is either not so hip or no one cared enough to make the jokes.

We had Irish jokes though.

#16 Edited by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@lopzefc said:

So I cannot write like a free person? Subjects sometimes are associated and it should not be treated as something bad. It is unfair. I hope that this time we will be able to talk like a free people anyway.

You're not used to internet forums?

This is a subforum to Off topic called Political Gamers. We talk almost exclusively about political here. Here are the general forums list. System Wars is... fun. PSNations if you wish to discuss playstation games and the consoles itself.

And you are as free as Hydra allows. :P

#17 Edited by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

To moderation - If discussion will be more as off topic - put it there, but I ask not to lock it.

Edit:Thanks

@Users Now continue topic

#18 Posted by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@lopzefc: Moved it.

#19 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -
@horgen said:

@lopzefc: Moved it.

Ah cool, now we can start talking about political stuff. :P

#20 Edited by Jackamomo (1464 posts) -

I've met a few Polish people. There are loads in the UK since like, I dunno the middle ages or something. They come over to work because Poland is poor then send money back.

The have a celebrated independant film industry. Roman Polanski is Polish. There education system is very comprehensive and well funded and they don't shut up about it.

They are very proud of their Polishness.

Their food is mostly pickled cabbage. I know this because you are never more than a 10 minute walk from a Polish shop, in the UK at least.

They have an interesting sweet which is a sugar frosted brown cake which is almost malty and maybe has saffron or something in it.

The capital is Warsaw.

They are former soviet block USSR.

They are good at building.

That's all I know.

Drink vodka.

#21 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24998 posts) -

I'd try Google first if I'm doing a term paper on Poland and YouTube for eyewitness accounts. Getting reference material from a gaming site would be a last resort.....or never.

What I can recall right off the bat......

What do I know about Poland and its people? Not much. I know Poland had the misfortune of being in the way of both Hitler's armies and Stalin's. The worst concentration camps and death camps were there.

After Poland came under Soviet rule, it became one of the Soviet-bloc states aka the Warsaw Pact which was the equivalent of NATO. I suppose the name gives a clue to its origins.

I also know Poland became one of the first countries in the Warsaw Pact to show its discontent with Soviet rule (since the 50's and 60's) with Walesa forming the first free trade union (Solidarity) within the Soviet-bloc.

#22 Posted by Speeny (924 posts) -

I have a Polish friend. A lot of white people over there. She’s told me most are racist. Pierogi is pretty good too.

#23 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -

Poland has made some great games such as The Witcher series and This War of Mine.

Mariusz Pudzianowski won a record 5 World's Strongest Man titles.

The food is tasty.

The language is tough.

Polish people seem to be unusually good looking.

They've been pushed around by aggressive neighbours throughout history.

Very patriotic nation.

Jack Tramiel gave us the Commodore 64.

The bagel originated in Poland.

Once again, Poland cannot into space.

#24 Posted by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

@jackamomo: What do you mean saying that they are drinking vodka? After all vodka is widely available and in many nations people are drinking it.

@mandzilla: Unusually good looking? It is a pity that I couldn't see the Pole. Only on photographs

#25 Posted by Jackamomo (1464 posts) -

@lopzefc: It's only hearsay. It's a cliche I know but I think vodka is more popular than say beer. When it comes to drinking the UK is a world leader. It just happens to be cheap beer and alco pops in the uk opposed to spirits which is more popular in Asian regions I think.

As for being attractive. I can confirm they are unusually attractive. Not all as Jack Tramel is proof of but overall a bit above average.

They are quite intellectual I found too.

#26 Posted by Horgen (119146 posts) -

@speeny said:

I have a Polish friend. A lot of white people over there. She’s told me most are racist. Pierogi is pretty good too.

I don't think I have met a polish person who isn't :P

They don't like foreigners and want extremely strict laws about who should be allowed in. Hearing from immigrants that they want laws so strict it would bar themselves from living in the country they are living in... :P

@lopzefc said:

@jackamomo: What do you mean saying that they are drinking vodka? After all vodka is widely available and in many nations people are drinking it.

@mandzilla: Unusually good looking? It is a pity that I couldn't see the Pole. Only on photographs

I don't think many western countries share your drinking habits when it comes to vodka.

#27 Posted by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

So they are drinking more vodka than beer?

#28 Posted by uninspiredcup (30043 posts) -

Lot's of Polish people over here now, practically every delivery person is one now. Very polite and friendly people from my experience.

Hard workers.

#29 Posted by SOedipus (11236 posts) -

Not that many Polish people where I live. I’ve mistaken them (their accents) for Russians sometimes...they don’t like that.

#30 Posted by Jackamomo (1464 posts) -

Earth 2150 was by a Polish developer.

#31 Posted by JustPlainLucas (78992 posts) -

I do love polish sausage.

#32 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1210 posts) -

Well they are backsliding into authoritarianism and purging all judges that are not loyal to the current regime. So yeah...that should go over well for them...

They will be a satellite state of Russia within a decade.

#33 Edited by watercrack445 (1047 posts) -

@Baconstrip78: how, they don't like Russia. Unless your saying some major event will happen in the future.

#34 Posted by thehig1 (7065 posts) -

I think xenophobes in the UK voted brexit knowing they would be worse off for the chance there would be less polish and other eastern Europeans on the streets and taking our jobs.

#35 Posted by omegaMaster (1091 posts) -

Robert Lewandowski. Don't know him? Google it.

#36 Posted by Baconstrip78 (1210 posts) -

@watercrack445: Poland will leave the EU, even as they are one of the main beneficiaries of EU funds. The people don’t want it but their president does and he doesn’t seem too keen on following the will of the people.

To fill the economic gap, an old friend will step in to help.

Same thing will happen to the Czech Republic and Hungary.

#37 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42789 posts) -

CD Projekct, makers of The Witcher video game series and owners of Good Old Games (GoG), so that's pretty cool.

The food is not particularly amazing, but they have some winners; periogi, pickles, vodka, sausage, etc

I don't view Poles as particularly bigoted, but they do seem to have a history of discrimination or at least bias. I think they got along pretty well with Nazi Germany from what I've read.

They unfortunately fell on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain duing the Cold War :(

Source of silly jokes I won't say here in case it results in a locked thread.

@jackamomo said:

Earth 2150 was by a Polish developer.

Yeah, TopWare iirc. Great game series.

Two Worlds 2 was pretty fun, also.

#38 Edited by Jackamomo (1464 posts) -

@Baconstrip78: Poland will leave the EU

Doesn't seem very likely as they have only been in since 2004. They spent long enough getting in! Other eastern block countries are jealous. (See 'New Europe' - Bush)

They benefit greatly economically from being in the EU. It has loads of subsidies. However. If you borrow money from them and don't pay you're in a pickle. See Greece (old europe).

[EDIT] Another fact. They are mostly Catholic and quite religious which is evidenced by the still numerous Polish churches which are quite grand (Catholic) , well maintained and attended.

My classmate in primary school was Polish and I went to Protestant church and Sunday school once with her and her family. Only once though. It was both boring and strange at the same time.

#39 Edited by Gaming-Planet (19735 posts) -

My college instructure over the winter that came from Poland.

She came here on the week following up to 9/11, I think the day before actually. She even rode on the same plane that crashed into the WTC. She still has the ticket.

#40 Edited by BlackBalls (1230 posts) -

Puerto Rican here, I spent 1 month touring about 7 cities in Poland last August. I loved it, one of my favorite countries I've visited.

I thought because everyone said it was a racist country, it would be worse. But being attractive and black made me feel like a god. I would go to clubs and everyone would jump on me.

Also, the people were fantastic. Got lost once in Poznan and missed a bus. Had to wait in the station for almost 6 hours. Was really hungry, but this random guy just went up to me and bought me some cig's, food and beer. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever witnessed.

Food was great, although I disliked Pierogi - for some reason found it a bit dry and just overall lacking taste for my buds.

Honestly, my experience in Poland was simply outstanding.

#42 Posted by Lopzefc (18 posts) -

If I would like to come to Poland - should I be afraid of something?

#43 Edited by poptart (7229 posts) -

I went to a wedding in Gdansk a few years back, and I confess I was naively expecting some kind of ex-Eastern bloc industrial aesthetic however it was a beautiful city. Lovely architecture rebuilt after WW2, great bars, great food, great weather in the summer - all highly recommended. Shame about the current government, but hey, things will change for the better in time I guess.

#44 Edited by lamprey263 (35781 posts) -

They were among one of the first countries in recent years to fall victim to Russian political meddling. They also have some talented gaming studios.

#45 Posted by Mandzilla (2737 posts) -
@lopzefc said:

If I would like to come to Poland - should I be afraid of something?

Watch out for these guys.

#46 Edited by foxhound_fox (97591 posts) -

They are famous for creating some of the best fucking death metal bands in existence.

Vader, Behemoth, Decapitated and Hate among the best.

And more specifically, they are currently fighting a blasphemy battle with Adam "Nergal" Darski of Behemoth over his anti-Christian lyrical content, and losing. Their government held onto all the authoritarianism of the Soviet era, but went full reverse and back to extremist religious nuttery.

EDIT: And from what I hear, if you travel to Poland, you *must* make Auschwitz part of your itinerary. It isn't a pleasant outing from what I've heard, but necessary as a human being who values learning from history.

#47 Posted by X_Karen_x (193 posts) -

Nicolaus Copernicus

List go on. Great warrior from Poland. Less people but still win battle. Fearless to put other people lives ahead of own when Germany take the Jew for example.

Make-up that I where from MAC is polish company. Very proud country with very deep history. Against all odd they still win. Wish more people in America had manner like them.

#48 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (18966 posts) -

@lopzefc: Miracle of Warsaw, where Lennon failed to capture Poland's capital after beating the poles in major battles.

#49 Posted by phbz (3954 posts) -

Visited Poland some years ago. Loved Krakow, beautiful city. The ladies too, gorgeous. Hated Warsaw.

Went to a couple of concentration camps. Very strong vibes. Particularly Birkenau.

#50 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58842 posts) -

There was a Polish cleaner where I used to work. She was nice. Very short. English was pretty good.