LCBO Beer stores and Cannabis are deemed Essential...

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

Where I live we are shutting down ALL businesses and services unless they are deemed essential by our government. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and construction/maintenance and public transit will continue to operate which is great and important as a lot of people would not survive without food, medicine and heat. However, they are keeping open the LCBO and Beer store, and the cannabis dispensaries, their argument being they need them open for the addicts and alcoholics. Give me a break, everyone has had 2 weeks to stock up on food (and booze/recreational drugs if you 'need' them), if you don't have what you need by now thats too bad for your own ignorance.

The hypocrisy of government is incredible, 2 years ago you could go to jail for posession of weed and now they are deeming it an ESSENTIAL service that we NEED weed. I don't believe we should be catering to alcoholics and drug users at a time like this, if they go through withdrawals because they were too ignorant to stock up when they could have well hopefully at the end of it they find a way to beat their addiction.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7114 Posts

Hey, if you're going to be stuck in your own home for weeks, you're going to need something to numb the boredom. Getting smashed or high will do that.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 101 Posts

I have been looking at this time being isolated and locked down as a chance to be productive with all this free time and no excuses. I know a lot of people will resort to passing time with drugs and drinking as they have lost any sense of purpose in their life or self discipline to put work in on themselves or projects. Lets also not forget about how often 'drunks' become angry and abusive to their children or spouse. I am sure there will be a significant increase in domestic abuse between people being stuck at home/off work and getting inebriated even more frequently.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11916 Posts

While pathetic, I understand the government's reasoning to keeping the LCBO open. They don't want the hospitals flooded with addicts going through withdrawal. They're preparing for the worst at hospitals so they want as many free beds.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46038 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:

Where I live we are shutting down ALL businesses and services unless they are deemed essential by our government. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and construction/maintenance and public transit will continue to operate which is great and important as a lot of people would not survive without food, medicine and heat. However, they are keeping open the LCBO and Beer store, and the cannabis dispensaries, their argument being they need them open for the addicts and alcoholics.

The hypocrisy of government is incredible, 2 years ago you could go to jail for posession of weed and now they are deeming it an ESSENTIAL service that we NEED weed. I don't believe we should be catering to alcoholics and drug users at a time like this, if they go through withdrawals because they were too ignorant to stock up when they could have well hopefully at the end of it they find a way to beat their addiction.

Do you live in California? I am in one of those industries, and I am very happy to still be getting hours I need. So are many of my coworkers, who have significant others that have been furloughed.

To be fair, we are running a skeleton crew and given the size of the place I work at, and the plentiful amount of iodine and isopropyl, it's not hard to maintain social distancing while working.

Concerning hypocrisy: cannabis has been deemed a medical substance, and it works wonders for pain relief, appetite stimulant, anxiety reduced, and much else. It's also legal, and part of our agriculture. So there really is no hypocrisy anymore.

I don't think there has been a greater need (yes, need) for cannabis than right now.

Concerning alcohol, why not? The production of beer and wine is a very large part of food production in the US (especially here in California), and it's generally done in large facilities or outdoors, so there is little to no human contact.

Unlike if I were working in an office and had dozens of people literally a few feet from me, all breathing the same air.

@ratchetclank92 said:

Give me a break, everyone has had 2 weeks to stock up on food (and booze/recreational drugs if you 'need' them), if you don't have what you need by now thats too bad for your own ignorance.

I don't think it is "ignorant" to assume that agriculture will continue on.

My store shelves might be out of rice and beans, but it is still stocked with fresh meat and fish, and plenty of produce.

I won't apologize for not hoarding like the rest of the selfish pricks out there; this whole thing will be over in a month or two and these idiots that have no idea how to cook dried beans are going to be left with pounds of them that other people could have used.

@madrocketeer said:

Hey, if you're going to be stuck in your own home for weeks, you're going to need something to numb the boredom. Getting smashed or high will do that.

Pretty much this.

@ratchetclank92 said:

I have been looking at this time being isolated and locked down as a chance to be productive with all this free time and no excuses. I know a lot of people will resort to passing time with drugs and drinking as they have lost any sense of purpose in their life or self discipline to put work in on themselves or projects. Lets also not forget about how often 'drunks' become angry and abusive to their children or spouse. I am sure there will be a significant increase in domestic abuse between people being stuck at home/off work and getting inebriated even more frequently.

You got it backwards, Comrad Ratchet, the people need to relax and stay calm, have some fun, chill out.

It's a terrible time to be productive, outside of cleaning your home and doing some yardwork.

Part of me was hoping we'd shutdown (not really, I'm very thankful to still be employed), I've worked 50+ hour weeks for the past 8 years at a very physical and demanding job, a few weeks off would have been nice.

@SOedipus said:

While pathetic, I understand the government's reasoning to keeping the LCBO open. They don't want the hospitals flooded with addicts going through withdrawal. They're preparing for the worst at hospitals so they want as many free beds.

Honestly I think it's more the money than anything. Cannabis generates an insane amount of tax revenue, as does alcohol.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11916 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ratchetclank92 said:

Where I live we are shutting down ALL businesses and services unless they are deemed essential by our government. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and construction/maintenance and public transit will continue to operate which is great and important as a lot of people would not survive without food, medicine and heat. However, they are keeping open the LCBO and Beer store, and the cannabis dispensaries, their argument being they need them open for the addicts and alcoholics.

Do you live in California?

@SOedipus said:

Honestly I think it's more the money than anything. Cannabis generates an insane amount of tax revenue, as does alcohol.

LCBO - Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

And true, the government gets a lot in tax revenue from those places.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1054 Posts

Sent my wife to the club on Friday to grab us an OZ. just in case they got shut down. The girl at the counter told her that shouldn't be a problem. Oh well, at least we won't have to go back for awhile.

Made for a good weekend stuck inside though.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20106 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Exaaactly

What I've doing with all the stress this has brought. Gotta drink your sorrows away.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19734 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@ratchetclank92 said:

Do you live in California?

@SOedipus said:

LCBO - Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

And true, the government gets a lot in tax revenue from those places.

In spite of what the name implies, LCBO controls weed sales too. Ontario Cannabis Stores (OCS) is a subsidiary of LCBO. I guess they didn't feel like LAWCBO rolled off the tongue.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4332 Posts

My state NY is so pathetic they haven't even legalized weed yet it's so embarrassing. I wish it was legalized federally in the U.S. cause state by state is fucking bullshit. "United" States my ass am I salty? you're god damn right I am I been waiting for NY to pass it for years and their to fucking dumb and corrupted to do it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98338 Posts

Alcoholics get physical withdrawal symptoms that often require hospitalization, so it's obvious why they are doing this.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 5482 Posts

I got mine.