VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4551 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5492 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Is he supposed to in his 40s in the movie though? If his age isnt determined they can make it work in future movies.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4552  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1978 Posts

The Mummy '99 in 4K.

Has a few low res CG shots, but almost every other shot is nicely detailed and sharp. I never would have thought this movie would ever look this good on home video. Seems like even the mummies were rendered way above 1080p. The Blu-ray version was so much softer when I checked it after (which I think I've seen only once, all prior viewings being on 4:3 VHS). Pretty nice color too.

A silly movie, but self-aware, with fun characters and a Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack that puts most of today's blockbuster soundtracks to shame. It's just a good pulp adventure, the kind I don't think they make anymore. 7/10.

Before that, I watched My Fair Lady, a lovely musical with Audrey Hepburn as a lower class Englishwoman trying to change her crude accent so that she can join the middle class and run a flower shop. Three hours long, but I liked it thoroughly. 8/10.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4553 Ophelmark
Member since 2017 • 168 Posts

Moonraker.This got pretty interesting at the end but what ruined this movie was turning Jaws face.That character was probably the best villain i have seen so far in a James Bond movie.He was apart from that witch doctor from a past James Bond movie.The only villain that survived James Bond.He was like the villain mirror of James Bond.Always surviving against all odds.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4554 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9822 Posts

Watched Hereditary a couple of nights ago. Great horror movie. Uneasy and creepy throughout.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4555 Ophelmark

Beyond the Gates? ok movie but i think what dragged it down was the overall design of the lore from the board game to the chick that appeared on the tv.

High Plains Drifter.Amazing movie.One of the best Clint Eastwood westerns.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4556  Edited By Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 6932 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Saw the Joker tonight. I'm seeing it tomorrow again, and probably on Sunday as well.

I absolutely loved it, and consider this easily Phoenix's magnum opus. He's phenomenal and deserves the Oscar. The movie did an excellent job of combining everything together into a increasingly crazy downward spiral of insanity and depravity. I walk out of nearly all movies nowadays, but this is the first one in a very long time where I found myself not only not wanting to walk out, but enraptured nearly every moment.

When Alex finally becomes the Joker and begins dancing down the stairs was a scene I'll never forget. It was classic on all fronts. The shape he got into for this role is also very impressive, his body was a character in itself, looking nearly contorted and conveying his inner torment and agony at all times. I only wish the ending cut off to black as he rose up on the police car with the crowd surrounding him, it was a tad anti-climactic going to the hospital afterwards given the build up.

Otherwise, a very strong 9/10.

the ending was meant to throw you off and make you question what had just happened, wasn't it?

like, how did he end up in the asylum after just being seen rising up to lead the revolution? what was actually real and what wasn't? did all that end sequence with him featuring on the talk show and going on as a guest really happen?

that's what i was thinking anyway, unless i missed something obvious!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4557  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167848 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Saw the Joker tonight. I'm seeing it tomorrow again, and probably on Sunday as well.

I absolutely loved it, and consider this easily Phoenix's magnum opus. He's phenomenal and deserves the Oscar. The movie did an excellent job of combining everything together into a increasingly crazy downward spiral of insanity and depravity. I walk out of nearly all movies nowadays, but this is the first one in a very long time where I found myself not only not wanting to walk out, but enraptured nearly every moment.

When Alex finally becomes the Joker and begins dancing down the stairs was a scene I'll never forget. It was classic on all fronts. The shape he got into for this role is also very impressive, his body was a character in itself, looking nearly contorted and conveying his inner torment and agony at all times. I only wish the ending cut off to black as he rose up on the police car with the crowd surrounding him, it was a tad anti-climactic going to the hospital afterwards given the build up.

Otherwise, a very strong 9/10.

the ending was meant to throw you off and make you question what had just happened, wasn't it?

like, how did he end up in the asylum after just being seen rising up to lead the revolution? what was actually real and what wasn't? did all that end sequence with him featuring on the talk show and going on as a guest really happen?

that's what i was thinking anyway, unless i missed something obvious!

No doubt. The joker is an unreliable narrator.

thedude78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4558 thedude78
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

Just watched Boyhood last nite for about the trillionth time— but the girlfriend hadn’t seen it yet. One of my favorite films.

thedude78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4559 thedude78
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

@alim298: yeah, I was surprised how much I didnt like enemy. By one of my favorite modern directors and I love Jake too. But I found it rather boring.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4560 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24902 Posts

Saw El Camino.

Wonderful movie.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4561 Ezekiel43

Thelma and Louise

First Ridley Scott movie that made me tear up. Really didn't expect that. I knew that scene was what the movie was known for, but I didn't expect it to hit me like that. And, my god, those nighttime shots are gorgeous, with the contrast between all the lights and the night. Most of Scott's movies are visually attractive, but I think a lot of the footage in this one is him at his best.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4562 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 19808 Posts
  • Toy Story 4: 6/10 [Maybe it is time to let it go.]
  • Raising Arizona: 6/10
  • The Princess Bride: 6/10 [Charming.]
  • Cry Freedom: 6/10
  • Die Hard: 6/10
  • Running on Empty: 7/10
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being: 7/10
SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4563 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 59 Posts

Rogue Squadron: A Star Wars Story

Loved it! Everyone said it wasn't that good but I feel it's the kind of direction SW movies need to take more.

fyxytupgetnada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4565 fyxytupgetnada
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Joker And its amazing

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4566 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36021 Posts

Drag Me To Hell - The CGI effects ruin it imo. Would have been better if it was all practical.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4567 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 2675 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Drag Me To Hell - The CGI effects ruin it imo. Would have been better if it was all practical.

I loved Drag Me To Hell the second time around.

But c'mon, the cheesiness of the CGI added some campy fun. Also: it's Sam Raimi, his practical effects in the Evil Dead movies are equally campy.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4568 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4200 Posts

El Camino, not to bad, but not the level of the Breaking Bad TV series. 6/10

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4569 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5492 Posts

The Wolf Man, damn this movie is generous with sliced off body parts, decapitated heads and buckets of blood, didn't expect any of that going into it. I vaguely remember critics not liking it, bit I thought it was a solid film overall.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4570 Ophelmark

For Your Eyes Only.The worst James Bond movie i have seen by far.It felt like it toned down the things James Bond is known for.The chicks were so so.The action scenes too.And to top it all of.They pair James Bond with a bunch of lame fools.Honestly i fell sleep two times.While watching it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4571 uninspiredcup  Online

Brawl In Cell 99 - Gets better with each watch, fantastic

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4572 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 11654 Posts

Terminator Dark Fate. It's the best of the post-Terminator 2 movies. I liked it.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4573 Ophelmark

The Book of Eli.This movie is the marked for greatness in it's purest form.At first i thought he was just pretty good at fighting.Until i saw how he kept avoiding death in several ways.Like when the henchmen of the of the main villain kept failing to kill him.It was like someone from above was protecting him.Honestly even if you don't share his beliefs you got to admire his resolution.It was a great movie overall.

Clue(1985).I have seen this movie already but for some reason forgot.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4574 Ophelmark

Octopussy.Pretty good movie.Much better than the crappy ''for your eyes only'.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4575 uninspiredcup  Online

Police story.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4576 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26780 Posts

@ophelmark:

A lot of the circus scenes in Octopussy were filmed in England at the American Air Base at Upper Heyford in the early 80's while I was there. I remember the area cordoned off for while they shot the scenes. Good stuff.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4577 Ophelmark

Salem's Lot.I'll admit the old school Vampire Lord looked a bit too goofy for me and i love 80's movies.But overall my main problem with this movie is with the acting.In some parts the actors just outright refuse to sell...sorry wrestling lingo.I mean their reactions are pretty uneven.For example when the chick is looking for some kid in the vampire lord mansion.Rats all around her and she acts like she is just walking in the park.The worst one was the Vampire Lord death.He is like **** you vampire killer i won't give you the satisfaction of hearing me scream while you shove a a stake thru my chest.Besides that the story was quite interesting.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4578 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26780 Posts

The last 2 movies I saw were excellent....

"Downton Abbey" and "Motherless Brooklyn"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4579 uninspiredcup  Online

Police Story 2.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4580 Ezekiel43

@uninspiredcup said:

Police story.

@uninspiredcup said:

Police Story 2.

Waiting for the Criterion set to arrive. I vaguely remember parts of it on TV.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4581 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 19808 Posts
  • Bloodsport: 5/10
  • Dangerous Liaisons: 6/10 [So Cruel Intentions before Cruel Intentions.]
  • The Last Emperor: 7/10
  • Grave of the Fireflies: 6/10 [Depressing, just how I like it.]
  • Poltergeist III: 4/10
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home: 5/10
  • My Neighbor Totoro: 6/10
  • The Last Temptation of Christ: 6/10
  • My Left Foot: 6/10
  • Born on the Fourth of July: 6/10 [Subtlety has never been Stone's forte.]
Ovirew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4582 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I watched 2 Days in the Valley. It was a pretty enjoyable watch, if a bit on the short side.

The premise is there's two hitmen, Dosmo (Danny Aiello) and Lee (James Spader) who go on a job to kill the husband of an Olympic hopeful. After the hit Lee shoots Dosmo and destroys his vehicle, leaving him for dead, but Dosmo escapes and spends most of the movie hiding out with a snobby art dealer he has taken hostage.

The plot has a few twists, and introduces a a handful of additional characters with their own side-stories and connections to the night of the hit. It ended up feeling like some of these extra characters were a little too minor, and the movie shoehorned in plot points for a lot of them to make them a bigger part of the story. I did miss the start of the movie, so perhaps there was some character growth that felt less sudden than it seemed to me.

All in all, it was a pretty decent 90's crime film. A younger James Spader made a perfect sociopath of an antagonist, and Eric Stoltz and Jeff Daniels play smaller roles as two detectives with Pulp-Fiction-esque personality differences in their way of handling the case. There's also a really enjoyable scene where Teri Hatcher prances around in her underwear for a few moments, and Charlize Theron was positively tasty in her younger days apparently.

I might give it a 7/10, simply because I loved that sort of indie feel the film had, and enjoyed the performance of the ensemble cast. It was also interesting to see how young all of these actors and actresses were in 96.