Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4301  Edited By Master_Live  Online
Member since 2004 • 19748 Posts
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: 6/10 [You can always tell when a movie is based on a play and it tries to stay close to the original source because they talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and it becomes unbearable. Sometimes is bad (I'm looking at you Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Fences) and sometimes it's not like here. But it is exhausting nevertheless. That aside, these were powerhouse performances by Taylor and Burton.]
Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4302 Ophelmark
Member since 2017 • 158 Posts

Dr. No.Great movie.I admit i barely watched any James Bond movies.Dunno why.I guess after seeing the more recent ones it kinda tainted the whole franchise for me.But i heard the older ones were way better so i'm glad i gave them a chance.The movie maybe be older but it had that special something that the new James Bond movies don't.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4303  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1886 Posts

Wow. I expected a cheesy B-movie, but what I got was a weird, rousing adventure epic. It's very visual. Not much dialogue. Arnold was perfect for this role. 4/5.

@Master_Live said:
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: 6/10 [You can always tell when a movie is based on a play and it tries to stay close to the original source because they talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and it becomes unbearable. Sometimes is bad (I'm looking at you Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Fences) and sometimes it's not like here. But it is exhausting nevertheless. That aside, these were powerhouse performances by Taylor and Burton.]

I found this movie great. Theater and cinema are similar anyway, so I don't have a problem with one imitating the other well.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4304  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14551 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Wow. I expected a cheesy B-movie, but what I got was a weird, rousing adventure epic. It's very visual. Not much dialogue. Arnold was perfect for this role. 4/5.

You've never seen Conan the Barbarian???

Damn. Well, better late than never. Welcome to what is best in life: crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, and hearing the lamentations of the women!

OT, just saw the Lion King last night. It blew, and that's with me having gone in with pretty low expectations. I walked out after this:

Loading Video...

The thing was like watching Planet Earth with the animals lips moving on expressionless faces, utilizing soulless, lazy voice acting, constrained by realism in conveying any feeling or weight. People were laughing at Mufasa's death. Horrible, horrible remake. I have no idea what Disney was thinking with this one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4305  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35494 Posts

Conan is best anti-state, pro masculinity, opera starring an Austrian body builder. One of the greatest film scores ever put to film, top tier shit.

The DVD commentary is almost as good.

Loading Video...

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4306 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5351 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I'm not going to debate all your point, its tireless, but them doing this on earth was explained like 20 times during the movie. Superman has the DNA info for all of his planets people embedded in his DNA, its what Zod was looking for so he could start rebuilding Krypton. Had Superman been on another planet it would have happened there. All movies have some potholes, most of what you're talking about aren't, its just not people pay I,g attention and wanting to dislike the movie for any reason.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4307 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2055 Posts

I watched Us recently. Good ending twist but I personally prefer Get Out.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4308 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15808 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Conan is best anti-state, pro masculinity, opera starring an Austrian body builder. One of the greatest film scores ever put to film, top tier shit.

The DVD commentary is almost as good.

Need to make the Blu-Ray upgrade for this one. Movie is STiLL evergreen after all these years.

About to watch the original Blade (1997). After hearing the announcement that Marvel is making a new movie with Mahershala Ali as the daywalker, I am psyched.

Cast Wesley Snipes as the main villain, and I am there opening weekend.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4309 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 35932 Posts

john wick 2

low on plot, high on entertainment.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4310 Ezekiel43

I've probably never gotten so many Blu-rays in a week.

My sixty-something year old Iranian co-worker has been wanting me to watch Papillon for like eight months. I wanted to. I've just hesitated so long because of the price and it not being on Netflix DVD.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4311 VFighter

@hallenbeck77: Had no idea about a new Blade, fantastic news to me! Blade 1 & 2 are still some of my favorite movies.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4312 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@ezekiel43 said:

My sixty-something year old Iranian co-worker has been wanting me to watch Papillon for like eight months. I wanted to. I've just hesitated so long because of the price and it not being on Netflix DVD.

Nice selection...but for the Dirty Harry collection, where's The Dead Pool?

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4313 Ezekiel43

@hallenbeck77 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Nice selection...but for the Dirty Harry collection, where's The Dead Pool?

Because this is part of their "4 Film Favorites" line. Could also be because it didn't fit their packaging. The chose to stack two discs on each spindle, which I detest. I plan to replace a lot of my Blu-ray cases with non-stacked and non-eco ones. You're not supposed to stack discs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4314  Edited By uninspiredcup

@hallenbeck77: Conan's great on blueray, probably would suffer a lot of it used the effects of the day, but everything is hand-build with real people fighting with effects used in moderation. It's sort of timeless in that regard.

Even something like LOTR suffers from that where you get Legolas jumping around like he's made of rubber, it kinda looks abit shit in some scenes.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4315 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@uninspiredcup said:

Conan's great on blueray, probably would suffer a lot of it used the effects of the day, but everything is hand-build with real people fighting with effects used in moderation. It's sort of timeless in that regard.

Even something like LOTR suffers from that where you get Legolas jumping around like he's made of rubber, it kinda looks abit shit in some scenes.

I tried, but for the life of me, I simply cannot get into any of the LOTR movies. I gave that first movie a fair chance, but it was a slog to get though, and it did nothing to keep my interest. Never bothered with the rest.

I seen a clip of the scene you mentioned with Legolas in an article online, and it just looks funky. If the rest of the movies looked like that, maybe it's for the best that I missed the boat on them.

Heirren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4316 Heirren
Member since 2017 • 2327 Posts

@hallenbeck77:

Theyre worth a watch for Andy Serkis' performance, alone.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4317 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@heirren said:

Theyre worth a watch for Andy Serkis' performance, alone.

Not for me. I barely made it through 1 four-hour movie I didn't enjoy just to give it a fair shake, I've no desire to sit through two more and the Hobbit films just for one actor. I just simply never got into Tolkien like a lot of other people have.

Heirren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4318 Heirren
Member since 2017 • 2327 Posts

@hallenbeck77:

I still recommend seeing Serkis' performance. Hes the highlight of the series. I didnt find the trilogy all that grest either, btw.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4319 Master_Live  Online
Member since 2004 • 19748 Posts
  • Cool Hand Luke: 6/10
  • Who's That Knocking At My Door?: 6/10
  • Rosemary's Baby: 6/10
  • Lolita (1997): 6/10
brianvansmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4320  Edited By brianvansmith
Member since 2019 • 27 Posts

I watched the movie Yesterday, today.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4321  Edited By Ezekiel43

Papillon

Powerful performance by Steve McQueen. Inspirational story. Escape thwarted multiple times, spirit crushed, and still he keeps trying. Beautiful music (Jerry Goldsmith) and visuals in the hot, luscious South American wilderness. Neat little details, like McQueen and Dustin Hoffman's teeth degrading. I also like the surreal aspects. Even parts that aren't a dream feel almost dream-like. Made it feel more personal. I thought this movie was great. The Blu-ray looks pretty nice.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4322 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11611 Posts

Train to Busan. I enjoyed the first half but I fell asleep on the last 10-15 minutes.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4323 VFighter

@hallenbeck77: There arent many bad looking scenes in the LotR trilogy, Legolas is one of the only characters that has so.e bad special effects attached to him, and even then there arent many of them. The trilogy is absolutely amazing visually, one or two bad moments out of 12 hours of movies isn't going to change that.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4324 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3183 Posts

Limitless 2011 decent movie it's funny now Elon Musk Neuralink is kinda like a real Nzt.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#4325 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 345 Posts

John Wick 3. Bit disappointed here, too much choreography with fight scenes. Film is mostly fight scenes.. :|

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#4326 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

Watched Open House for fun last weekend. What a terrible/laughable horror movie that was.

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4327 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2215 Posts

Powaqqatsi the second film in "Qatsi Trilogy". It looses its majestic photography since Ron Fricke is no longer a part of it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4328  Edited By uninspiredcup

One of my fav movies. The only part I really dislike the is the unwanted and unneeded narration at the end, the viewer shouldn't know if he succeeds or not, the idea is that he never stops trying.

@ezekiel43 said:

Papillon

Powerful performance by Steve McQueen. Inspirational story. Escape thwarted multiple times, spirit crushed, and still he keeps trying. Beautiful music (Jerry Goldsmith) and visuals in the hot, luscious South American wilderness. Neat little details, like McQueen and Dustin Hoffman's teeth degrading. I also like the surreal aspects. Even parts that aren't a dream feel almost dream-like. Made it feel more personal. I thought this movie was great. The Blu-ray looks pretty nice.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4329  Edited By Ezekiel43

I was entertained! Can't believe how many times I've listened to Prince's albums yet have never seen this.

Atomic Blonde - Got bored so fast and, after a half hour, decided to watch the Sopranos season 6 premiere again instead. These new movies don't even look nice with their drab digital photography.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4330 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@ezekiel43 said:

I was entertained! Can't believe how many times I've listened to Prince's albums yet have never seen this.

Atomic Blonde - Got bored so fast and, after a half hour, decided to watch the Sopranos season 6 premiere again instead. These new movies don't even look nice with their drab digital photography.

What?! Purple Rain is the first R rated movie my uncle took me to see, and I was only seven at the time! Great movie, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Haven't heard much about Atomic Blonde, only that it disappeared shortly after it hit theaters.

brianvansmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4332 brianvansmith

I saw the new Spiderman thing yesterday. We went just to go, but I was somewhat surprised that it was decent.

I thought it would be all superhero stuff (which I have no interest in), but there is an element of comedy, which is good.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4333 Ophelmark

From Russia with Love.Another great James Bond movie.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4334 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4091 Posts

Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Slow, drawn out, and not up to par with a Tarantino film. Quite possibly the worst of all his movies. Extremely disappointing ending. I don’t know why he used real people’s likenesses and history only to completely fictionalize an end. Very disappointing.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4335 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6213 Posts

Watched Toys story 4 few weeks back. My least favorite Toys Story movie of all. Gonna go watch Crawl in few hours, heard lots of good thing about this movie.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4336  Edited By Ezekiel43

Alita: Battle Angel

The graphic novel is a lot better. Better story and more striking, stylish visuals. Even the action scenes have much more a sense of speed, gravity and power, despite (or because of) being still pictures.

Alita tries to band the hunter warriors together against Grewishka. Her speech makes sense in the manga, because he is going after hunter warriors. In the movie, he is after Ido and her. So what? Why should they care? He doesn’t even have a bounty. She looks like an idiot when she’s talking down to them. The horror of his origin is completely gone. He says in the movie that he comes from the underground, but we don’t really get to appreciate how awful his life was in the sewers without any of the disturbing imagery of the manga, which makes you wonder why he even tells us he is from down there in the movie.

I didn’t like the big eyes. They made her look like an alien. The filmmakers’ justification is asinine and tells me they don’t understand graphic novels. She has big eyes in the manga, they said, so she should have big eyes in the movie. When I heard them say that in their promotional YouTube video, I dragged my hands down my face, muttering “My god” at their foolishness. EVERYONE in the manga was stylized, not just Alita. That doesn’t work for one character in a photographic film. By their logic, Ido should look monstrous. The big eyes make her whole head disproportionate and strange. It’s a dumb choice that made the movie millions more expensive and definitely pushed some people away. Having said that, I wasn’t extremely distracted by the eyes. BUT, because her head is CG, her hair looks fake. It looks clumpy, heavy and doesn’t move right. There was no good reason for not using her real head whenever possible. (Impossible in some of the action scenes.) I find it funny that Hugo doesn’t realize she is a cyborg until he sees her hand. Like he is used to girls with huge eyes.

In the manga, Ido is a hunter warrior partly because he enjoys killing, which ties into the whole battle theme of the manga, the adrenaline of combat, the high, what Alita is all about. His justification in the movie is lame. He got his daughter’s killer, but he is still hunting because reasons. The bounties paying for his clinic seems secondary, from how he explains it.

The way the Berzerker body conforms to her just looks too fantastic and fake in the movie. The body regenerating instantly in the movie makes her too powerful.

I find it lame that the story revolves around her, including the motorball game that is just a ploy to kill her, whereas in the manga she was just one of the players. Hugo’s tragedy is diminished because of that as well. I find it disappointing that in the ending it feels more like he is trying to get to Zalem now because he is a fugitive. The manga focused so much on his hope for a better life, almost right to his end. I didn’t feel the desperation that was in the manga.

Why is Hugo telling her to be a motorball player? Alita always did what she did because she wanted it. In the manga, she becomes a player for her own selfish reasons. Even when Zalem forces her to work for them in the manga, she does it for her own reasons.

Did these filmmakers ever actually look at Damascus steel? I’m looking very closely and cannot see the signature ripples. Well, it’s kind of on the edges, but it looks so over-designed, like some lame Power Rangers sword. Those ripples would have been striking enough on their own. You can barely see them in this movie.

The author didn’t use that term for nothing, but the filmmakers did. Surely, the Damascus steel from the manga is not the same as ours, but the technique was very much the same and the look was intentionally identical. The blade did not need such fancy decoration. More importantly, WHY IS ALITA NOT USING DAMASCUS BLADES?

I find it lame also that she fails her first job, gets her body trashed and then becomes a motorball player. We don’t even get to see her ascent as a hunter warrior.

Motorball winners go to Zalem? Oh, please. I just don’t see that being a motivating factor for all the players. They would not all be naive dreamers like Hugo (whose dream is now less personal). They are in it for the glory and cash winnings. I just don’t understand why so many people wanna go to Zalem in the movie. The city and its beautiful countrysides don’t seem that bad in the movie. Maybe with an R rating and the dirty cyberpunk look of the manga, it would make a bit more sense. I feel like the creators didn’t understand the manga well enough. The only character I can remember right now who wanted to go to Zalem was Hugo. And about the citizens getting to frolic in the beautiful countrysides… If I remember correctly, in the manga, they are not even allowed to leave the city, unless they work on the farms or protect the cargo trains. The countryside in the manga is a wasteland with Mad Max bandits.

The movie is impatient. It tries to pack so much from later arcs in when it could have told a good self-contained story that may or may not have been expanded on with sequels (depending on if they got the greenlight). I’ve even observed people who don’t know the graphic novel concede the same thing. That it feels like it’s merely a set up for something we may never get. If the original Star Wars or Matrix did that to the extent movies do now, people would have been bothered. Alita sloppily mixes too many different stories into one whole. It’s like Cameron went, “I want motorball. I love those two volumes and I don’t care how we get it in there.” There was already plenty that could have been adapted for a movie in the first two volumes without bringing motorball and such a big focus on Desti Nova and Alita’s past in. The movie should have been about her rebirth, her rise as a hunter warrior and, finally, the death of Hugo. Those first two volumes have some spectacular fight scenes and great atmosphere. That brief fight scene with Grewishka alone is like a hundred pages long in the manga (partly because they’re not just fighting) and has a much more interesting looking underworld. You don’t need the added spectacle of motorball. Between Makaku’s (Grewishka) nightmare life and his attraction to Alita, Alita’s curiosity and passion, Ido’s double personality, and Hugo’s crimes and tragic dream, there is plenty of characterization and a good movie story in those first volumes.

This should have been a lot better. I didn’t dislike it. It’s a 6/10 for me. Maybe a 7 if I’m feeling generous. Nothing more.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4337 blamix
Member since 2006 • 888 Posts

Men in Black International. Didn't like it

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4338 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2530 Posts

I'm not sure where to even begin with this one...

For a film that is nearly 3 hours long and the pacing of a snail, it is quite telling when I am sitting in a movie theater and I can literally hear people snoring in the room. People were literally falling asleep to this one.

Prior to watching this, I've heard people say this is up in the alley of Jackie Brown Tarantino - which truly excited me as Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film - but after seeing it I'd beg to differ. Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood, is more or less Death Proof territory of Tarantino.

There are things that I can say I really enjoy about the execution of the film - like the acting and the attention-to-detail - but overall nothing really clicks.

For the most part, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood follows the existential crisis of an insecure movie actor and his buddy stunt-double, navigating the streets of survival and not having a sense of worth, and then it wedges the infamous Manson murders into the mix by the convenience of the main characters neighboring the Polanski family.

It all meets and passes without ever truly feeling intertwined in its narrative purpose. It never reaches the cleverness of other nonlinear Tarantino such as Pulp Fiction or Inglourious Basterds, unfortunately.

My best advice if you really have to see this film, wait until it's on video, so if you had to fall asleep during it you could at least do it in the comfort of your home.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4339  Edited By uninspiredcup

Godzilla King Of The Monster - It's basically a remake of "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack", some scenes are almost a 1/1. Was really surprised as well that it used the actual Japanese themes, done by Bear McCreary, which was awesome.

Loading Video...

Overall, far-more enjoyable than the first American movie, which focused on extremely boring human-characters and killed off the Breaking Man who probably should have been the main character. This one mainly just focused on spectacle and a bunch of jingle-jangle keys fan service realising why people were there in the first place.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4340  Edited By DEVILinIRON  Online
Member since 2006 • 5121 Posts

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Wasn't as good as the first one.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4341 uninspiredcup

Cradle 2 the Grave - I have no idea who DMX is, but macho-posturing doesn't equate to acting, I think.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4342 DEVILinIRON  Online

Jaws 2

Lots of screaming kids. It was kind of annoying.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4343 DEVILinIRON  Online

The Girl with All the Gifts

A little slow, but pretty good.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4344 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2055 Posts

I watched Us recently. The twist made it. But even still, it’s an average movie imo.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4345 DEVILinIRON  Online

Flipper

Enjoyable film starring Elijah Wood.

Ophelmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4346 Ophelmark

Goldfinger.So far the best James Bond movie i have seen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4347 uninspiredcup

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4348 VFighter

Olympus Has Fallen - Ughhh...where to begin. Ok, my main comaint is how easily they broke into the white house, almost no real opposition to speak of, that alone ruined the whole movie for me, which sucks because there was some potential IMO. Also a lot of the CGI was ass, again rhino,g any potential this movie had. How the hell is there a 3rd in the series being made out of this trash?

brianvansmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4349 brianvansmith

The Hangover. Funny movie!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points