Lack of diversity in GameSpot staff

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Anyone notice fthe lack of diversity in Gamespot's staff? I think I may have seen an Asian once a while ago, but that was it. What gives? Aren't gamespot viewers very diverse?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

They got a transsexual, that absolves them from anything.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

There's Homer Rabara and that Asian girl from GSAU. Like @Master_Live mentioned there's Carolyn, Kevin is gay. That's pretty diverse I guess, plus there are loads of people who work in the background who never publish things or go on camera, I'm sure there's more.

Avatar image for DrKillByDeath84
DrKillByDeath84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DrKillByDeath84
Member since 2011 • 357 Posts

I've never noticed, nor do i care, the forums are the only thing that interests me on this site.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Bear in mind that a lot of the heterosexual, cis-gender, usually white and American, Gamespot users lash out at anyone who isn't heterosexual, cis-gender, white and American as they are. So even if there is a lot of diversity it tends to be seen as unwelcome in the eyes of those who hate diversity in not just a site's staff, but in games and more.

Frankly we need more diversity and less pandering to the over privileged.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@Master_Live said:

They got a transsexual, that absolves them from anything.

Shouldn't (s)he be offended though? Being hired as the token transsexual?

@Smokescreened84 said:

Frankly we need more diversity and less pandering to the over privileged.

I like how in a thread about diversity, you still maintain your racist ways.
No group is more privileged than the last.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Why is this even an issue? Like Nibroc said, no group is more privileged than the last. So to go out of your way to hire a number of black, whites, Asians, Mexicans, men, women, homosexuals and transsexuals in order to maintain diversity is, in itself, racist and sexist and what have you. You're still separating people into groups rather just looking at everyone as equals.

Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smokescreened84

I'm not racist, I don't mind Americans, they are just another part of the human race to me like everyone else is. I've fairly noticed though that a lot of hatred towards diversity does tend to come from Americans, especially those who use religion as their reason.

The kind of hatred and ignorance that tends to come from such people on this site and in many places in the US is sickening, while there is a lot of hatred around the world towards diversity, there are places and people in the world who are a lot more accepting than many who show their ignorance are.
Especially so when it comes to someone who is not cis-gender, someone who's male to female is female, just use the female pronouns and note them as the woman they are, just as with transmen - female to male - you note them as the men they are.

It isn't hard to do and it isn't hard to take the time to educate yourself on the topic.

There tends to be a little too much cis and hetero privilege, especially with any Americans who use religion as their excuse to hide behind while spouting their ignorance, on this site and pretty much every where online and offline.
So someone's different from you, big whoop, they are who they are, their differences are simply part of the larger whole. Ignorance is no excuse, it isn't hard to educate yourself and learn.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

So when hiring, employers should separate the resumes of qualified peoples based on their ancestries. Then look at their current selection of ancestries in their staff.

If there are more Blacks than Koreans, no Blacks can be hired.
If there are more Koreans than Chinese, no Koreans can be hired.
If there are more Chinese than Ethiopians, no Chinese can be hired.

And when they're finally down to their last stack of whichever race their company has the least of, they divide that pile

If there are more Heterosexuals than Homosexuals, no Heterosexuals can be hired.If there are more Homosexuals than Transsexuals, no Homosexuals can be hired.

Seems like it would be less racist/discriminatory to simply hire people based on their personalities and qualifications, rather than what country their ancestors were born in, or what they like to do in the bedroom.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:

So when hiring, employers should separate the resumes of qualified peoples based on their ancestries. Then look at their current selection of ancestries in their staff.

If there are more Blacks than Koreans, no Blacks can be hired.

If there are more Koreans than Chinese, no Koreans can be hired.

If there are more Chinese than Ethiopians, no Chinese can be hired.

And when they're finally down to their last stack of whichever race their company has the least of, they divide that pile

If there are more Heterosexuals than Homosexuals, no Heterosexuals can be hired.If there are more Homosexuals than Transsexuals, no Homosexuals can be hired.

Seems like it would be less racist/discriminatory to simply hire people based on their personalities and qualifications, rather than what country their ancestors were born in, or what they like to do in the bedroom.

Bravo, sir.

Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Smokescreened84

Diversity can throw in a lot of different view points on things, instead of things just being seen in heterosexual, cis-gender, usually white skinned, ways. Like with Carolyn's articles and reviews she gives her own view point which is different from a cis-gender staff member, someone from another country outside of the US could have a different view point than someone in the US, that gives another view point for readers.
Diversity is a great thing, it can be educational, fascinating and give so many different view points from all walks of life. It should be embraced instead of feared.

Staff in gaming sites like on Gamespot should be free to be able to share their views on games, life issues that relate to games and other things so that we, as the readers and viewers who come here, get a much richer amount of content to enjoy. Instead of the fearful getting all uppity towards anyone who doesn't fit into their notion of 'perfect'.

The world, after all, and life in general is so much richer with diversity than without.