Lack of Common Courtesy Online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Simple question. Why are people more likely to be assholes online? Even when people know their real names via social media, people just seem to be full on assholes anymore. What's the deal?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

when you aren't actually in the same room as someone, there is no or at least a greatly reduced threat of some kind of physical confrontation or serious real life consequences.

so, the assholes of the world show their true colours online, mostly to deflect insecurities about themselves I imagine.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

People get real brave when there's no chance of getting their teeth knocked out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

It's easier to forget you're talking to a human being.

And people act like that in real life too, as anyone who's ever worked in the service industry will probably tell you.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

One word: Anonymity.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Why do they do this? I think because they want to feel above others by being an asshole. Or maybe they're just revealing a part of them they can't show on public because they afraid to be judged personally. Afterall, we tend to develop another personas on the internet.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

when you aren't actually in the same room as someone, there is no or at least a greatly reduced threat of some kind of physical confrontation or serious real life consequences.

so, the assholes of the world show their true colours online, mostly to deflect insecurities about themselves I imagine.

This... idiots just hide behind the anonymity of the internet and act like tools most of the time.

99% of them would act completely different face to face.

Balrogbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#8 Balrogbane
Member since 2014 • 1051 Posts

Don't know don't care. I like the internet the way it is. It's more interesting.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Yes one of my friends is a keyboard warrior. Always getting banned on Facebook and Xbox. But in real life, he's very pleasant and actually one of the more quieter guys of our group.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's impulsive. That's the argument one of the creators of the internet made and that is the argument I put forth earlier when people wanted anonymity gone as a cure for bad words online.

It has nothing to do with anonymity. It has everything to do with the type of communication. When typing comments you tend to type the first thing on your mind. Even I do that, except sometimes I do think about what I wrote in hindsight, and that is why I edit my posts 10+ times.

It's not because the people are assholes in most cases, it's about the type of communication. When you are on the phone your human nature will make you behave differently. You won't say what is on your mind without thinking about it. Well hopefully. Because the first things on our mind tend to be pretty nonsensical and negative. You can look at most short comments to see what our first impulsive thoughts are like.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

One word: Anonymity.

It's this... I think road rage is because of this as well. Partly at least.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I think it's because we don't see our faces like in real life. But common courtesy in real life is not actually much better nowadays.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

Don't know, I personally don't act any different than I do whether online or not. I certainly see quite a few assholes on Facebook, gamefaqs, youtube and other websites.
Then again on facebook and gamefaqs I've added quite a few to my ignore list for probably dumb reasons like being a grammar nazi or posting tl;dr in a message instead of just answering the topic question I mean they could've just not bother posting.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@Telekill said:

Simple question. Why are people more likely to be assholes online? Even when people know their real names via social media, people just seem to be full on assholes anymore. What's the deal?

I never understood the use of "anymore" the way you are using it. I interpret it to be synonymous with "any longer" rather than what looks to be your use of "these days" so it sounds like you are saying:

"..people just seem to be full on assholes any longer" where you may have meant "..people just aren't nice anymore"

Don't interpret this as me being in an asshole in a thread about people being assholes. That is just a coincidence :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@goodzorr said:

Yes one of my friends is a keyboard warrior. Always getting banned on Facebook and Xbox. But in real life, he's very pleasant and actually one of the more quieter guys of our group.

I don't know if I would ever trust someone like that, knowing he was that kind of prick online. I would constantly wonder what he really wants to say to me/us, what he is hiding.

With that said, you could easily argue that everyone is like that, we all hold things back. Sometimes I wish I was like some of those folks on the spectrum that can't really keep secrets and are good at reading people, like "Oh you seem sad, is it because you were an asshole the other day?" :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Anonymity breeds cowardice.