L.A. Clippers Owner's Racist Imperative

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#202 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@theone86 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The term African American is just plain dumb. People of different colors get born in Africa, and if one of them moved to America THEY would be an African American. Considering not everyone from Africa is black, the idea of using African American to describe someone who is black REGARDLESS of them having any real connection to Africa in their life is just dumb in my mind.

I work with a good number of black people and they use the term black, not African American.

I really do not see how someones color is somehow insulting...

A white immigrant from Africa would not be an African-American, they would be a white American from Africa. It's a labeling system, it's not perfect especially seeing as how race is constantly in flux. Really, all you're doing here is arguing semantics and nit-picking. For one, the use of the term gives African-Americans a cultural identity that isn't dependent on the color of their skin. That's an issue because previously the term "black" had taken on a pejorative connotation and was used pretty much ubiquitously applied to them. Besides, when you really think about it they're the only ethnic group where referring to them by skin color is even remotely accepted. You wouldn't dare call an Asian person yellow or an Indian person brown, so why is it all of the sudden acceptable with African-Americans?

And the reality is that, despite that, it has become socially acceptable to use the term "black" in certain contexts. No one is forcing you to expunge the word from your commonly used vocabulary, despite the double-standard that creates when compared to other ethnicities. On the contrary, you seem to be getting upset that OTHER people use the term African-American because it has a certain connotation for them. Like it or not, it IS descriptive (American citizens descended from African ancestors) and it IS indicative of the relationship many black American have to Africa (at the very least they all have the same sort of cultural connection that every other ethnicity has to the continent their ancestors emigrated from, some of them maintain a deeper connection than that, AND many would like to see a greater awareness of African culture within their own communities).

Uh yeah, white people are just flat out called white man. Point fail....

Ummm...Caucasian? Point fail.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#205 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The term African American is just plain dumb. People of different colors get born in Africa, and if one of them moved to America THEY would be an African American. Considering not everyone from Africa is black, the idea of using African American to describe someone who is black REGARDLESS of them having any real connection to Africa in their life is just dumb in my mind.

I work with a good number of black people and they use the term black, not African American.

The issue people have is calling someone something they are not. African-American may be incorrect in term of identifying nationalities, yet it is a culturally relevant name for an ethnicity in the United States. No one is actually black. That said, we should stay on-topic. This is a huge tangent many here have continued too long.

@Everyonewhoparticipated: Make a separate thread if you would like to continue this conversation.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#206 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts
@thegerg said:

@one_plum: Does the number of people (a single victim vs all black people) really matter that much?

The former is a more severe crime, I wouldn't argue against that, but what I'm saying is that the latter has a potential to attract more negative attention because (while it is not a felony), the message was directed to a larger amount of people.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@theone86 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@theone86 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

A white immigrant from Africa would not be an African-American, they would be a white American from Africa. It's a labeling system, it's not perfect especially seeing as how race is constantly in flux. Really, all you're doing here is arguing semantics and nit-picking. For one, the use of the term gives African-Americans a cultural identity that isn't dependent on the color of their skin. That's an issue because previously the term "black" had taken on a pejorative connotation and was used pretty much ubiquitously applied to them. Besides, when you really think about it they're the only ethnic group where referring to them by skin color is even remotely accepted. You wouldn't dare call an Asian person yellow or an Indian person brown, so why is it all of the sudden acceptable with African-Americans?

And the reality is that, despite that, it has become socially acceptable to use the term "black" in certain contexts. No one is forcing you to expunge the word from your commonly used vocabulary, despite the double-standard that creates when compared to other ethnicities. On the contrary, you seem to be getting upset that OTHER people use the term African-American because it has a certain connotation for them. Like it or not, it IS descriptive (American citizens descended from African ancestors) and it IS indicative of the relationship many black American have to Africa (at the very least they all have the same sort of cultural connection that every other ethnicity has to the continent their ancestors emigrated from, some of them maintain a deeper connection than that, AND many would like to see a greater awareness of African culture within their own communities).

and nobody says caucasion. point fail

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch

@one_plum said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Overblown and stupid.. We have people playing in major league sports who have been convicted with major felonies.. Though what the guy said is awful, I find this fvcking awful that this of all things has led to banning for life.... Which basically sets the precedent that you can assault a police officer, torture dogs, get caught with large quantities of illicit drugs, sexually assault numerous people, and still be allowed to play or be involved with the league.. Say something racist in a private call that was recorded? Life time ban...

While I agree with you on questioning about felons being allowed back to the sport, the difference is that those crimes that you listed are targeted to the victims, but those racist comments are targeted to all black people.

Tough luck about that private call. I'm not saying that I never say stupid things in private, but he should blame the person who recorded it, not the people who are offended by his comments. I'm sure not many of us would be spared from termination of employment if we're being caught making similar comments.

so somebody can get fired for being racist but not raping people?

when did being racist become worse than raping people?

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 MakeMeaSammitch

@thegerg said:

@one_plum: I agree. I'm just curious as to why some seem to see Sterling's acts as more morally reprehensible.

I have a feeling it's because those who claim to oppose racism are themselves, extremely racist.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@thegerg:

Well it was odd as you seem to be missing the whole point. And that was responding to his comment upon reading it for the 1st time.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By PSP107

@thegerg said:

@PSP107: Your point was that you responded to a comment? Ok.

Again, no shit. It's obvious that you responded to a comment.

So what was the beef with my wording?

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@one_plum said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Overblown and stupid.. We have people playing in major league sports who have been convicted with major felonies.. Though what the guy said is awful, I find this fvcking awful that this of all things has led to banning for life.... Which basically sets the precedent that you can assault a police officer, torture dogs, get caught with large quantities of illicit drugs, sexually assault numerous people, and still be allowed to play or be involved with the league.. Say something racist in a private call that was recorded? Life time ban...

While I agree with you on questioning about felons being allowed back to the sport, the difference is that those crimes that you listed are targeted to the victims, but those racist comments are targeted to all black people.

Tough luck about that private call. I'm not saying that I never say stupid things in private, but he should blame the person who recorded it, not the people who are offended by his comments. I'm sure not many of us would be spared from termination of employment if we're being caught making similar comments.

Read my first sentence about my sentiments to your question. Fact remains, it's bad publicity for the NBA whether the guy's a felon or a "mere" racist.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 PSP107

@thegerg said:

@PSP107: I have no beef. I was simply telling you that it makes no sense.

After I explain what it meant(which you did get) and you still says that line makes no sense?

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

@sSubZerOo: Imagine the public and league outcry if the punishment was any less though. I don't think the NBA really had any other choice besides doing something this drastic.

I find it disgusting that the things you mentioned happen and yet only get punished with a slap on the wrist. About 5-6 years ago at Michigan State, where I went to school, 16 players from the football team went into a frat fundraising event at a dorm hall all dressed in black and beat the sh1t out of many of the frat members. Only a couple went to jail and most of them were just suspended, including a few of their star players. It's a fvcking disgrace.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@SpartanMSU said:

@sSubZerOo: Imagine the public and league outcry if the punishment was any less though. I don't think the NBA really had any other choice besides doing something this drastic.

I find it disgusting that the things you mentioned happen and yet only get punished with a slap on the wrist. About 5-6 years ago at Michigan State, where I went to school, 16 players from the football team went into a frat fundraising event at a dorm hall all dressed in black and beat the sh1t out of many of the frat members. Only a couple went to jail and most of them were just suspended, including a few of their star players. It's a fvcking disgrace.

The kids make the school loads of money. Getting rid of them wouldn't line their pockets enough. Money will always win over ethics when it comes to the conduct of their players. Sad really.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 MakeMeaSammitch

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@SpartanMSU said:

The kids make the school loads of money. Getting rid of them wouldn't line their pockets enough. Money will always win over ethics when it comes to the conduct of their players. Sad really.

kobe raped a girl.

why isn't he in prison?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 PSP107

@thegerg said:

@PSP107: Yes. It makes no sense. Explaining what you want a linguistically nonsensical sentence to mean does not mean that that sentence makes sense.

What are you talking about? I explain how I reacted to his comment upon reading it for the 1st time.

=(

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#222 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@theone86 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@theone86 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

IMO, European American>Caucasian because Caucasian actually refers to not only Europeans but Middle Easterners, Central Asians, and all the way to the Indian subcontinent. However, most people just say "white" or "Caucasian".

Most white people in America will just self-identify as white, but if you ask them about their heritage, you'll get something like, "1/4 German, 1/4 French, 1/4 Irish, 1/8 English, and 1/8 Swedish", LOL. We're all mutts. :P

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#223 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@thegerg said:

@PSP107: Yes. It makes no sense. Explaining what you want a linguistically nonsensical sentence to mean does not mean that that sentence makes sense.

What are you talking about? I explain how I reacted to his comment upon reading it for the 1st time.

=(

Give it up. Gerg thinks he's is the almighty of logic and sense. Trolling away and sadly he doesn't even realize it. He is really that belligerent though and tries to put somebody in fault on almost every thread he touches. It's entertaining to me now though but threads usually get viscously derailed if somebody doesn't anti gerg them and bring the discussion back to topic relevance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#225 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@SpartanMSU: Probably because the university didnt want to have its top players unable to play. Scary how schools protect their "assets"

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 PSP107

@bowchicka07:

Thanks for the heads up. He me got me then.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#228  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@SpartanMSU said:

kobe raped a girl.

why isn't he in prison?

Well he was found innocent a court of law..

As for the current topic..

It's quite obvious, the public is fvcking stupid and hypocritical.. It's hilarious we have this huge outrage on what this guy said, right after we had numerous teams in the NFL openly stating their prejudice policy towards gays.. Specifically with that openly gay player about to be placed within the upcoming draft.. Where was the huge outrage for that? This wasn't some taped phone call, we literally had heads of multiple team organizations specifically state that they would not draft the man because of his sexual orientation..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@sonicare said:

@SpartanMSU: Probably because the university didnt want to have its top players unable to play. Scary how schools protect their "assets"

Whats even scarier is the special Real Sports did on how schools are literally pushing these "student" athletes through the system with passing grades even though many don't even come close to having a reading level of a middle schooler.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 theone86

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@one_plum said:
@sSubZerOo said:

This is textbook tu quoque. What Kobe Bryant did is not at issue here and has no bearing on Sterling's punishment. Furthermore Kobe very well could have been fired for that incident. If you want to know why he wasn't you'd have to ask the Lakers' owners.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@theone86 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

This is textbook tu quoque. What Kobe Bryant did is not at issue here and has no bearing on Sterling's punishment. Furthermore Kobe very well could have been fired for that incident. If you want to know why he wasn't you'd have to ask the Lakers' owners.

Kobe wasn't fired because he earns the team too much money. He's probably their most monetarily valuable player.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

This why LA basketball team hype because all the media coverage.

What about King WZRD DMV

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By theone86

@BluRayHiDef said:

@theone86 said:

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

Kobe wasn't fired because he earns the team too much money. He's probably their most monetarily valuable player.

I think that much is obvious, I'm just saying that the power to fire Kobe has always been in the hands of the Lakers. With Sterling there is a question of if there is even a possibility of him being forced out, and if there is the people making that decision are not the same ones who made the decision not to fire Kobe.

And by the way, if Sterling is forced out it's going to be for the same reasons that Kobe wasn't fired, money. They don't want any of this mess coming back and biting them in the ass in the form of players, coaches, and staff refusing to work for them, fans boycotting them, and/or sponsors dropping them. That's the only reason they'd force another owner out, not because of any altruistic intentions. When you operate according to a profit-based paradigm that's just the way things go.