Krypton TV Series announced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Oh man, i really hope this is good. I really like the DC Universe! Let's hope they can have some awesome stuff in it!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Eh... didn't like the concept of Gotham, so this appears to be just another Gotham, but for Superman. I hope this isn't a new trend of making superhero TV series without the actual superheroes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

If David Goyer is involved, I wouldn't get my hopes too high. I was one of the few people who was let down by Man of Steel, and the idea of a Superman show without, you know...Superman,doesn't exactly grab my attention.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58948 Posts

Superhero stuff tends to work better as cartoons imo.

Besides; they probably have a skimpy budget. Kyrpton will probably take place in a bunch of abandoned warehouses.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

will it be as terrible as Gotham?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

This is interesting. I guess I'm one of the few here on Gamespot OT who really like Man of Steel and I own the Blu-Ray which is still the best Superman movie I watch but anyways, for some reason, I always I doubt this Krypton t.v series would work though I mean, Smallvill did okay but the way it sounds, this is going to be just like Gotham without the Batman so with that said, Krypton Citizens will be just normal people cause there Sun is not young yellow as it's on Earth so no powers here for them but I will say this, the 30 minute War in Man of Steel did get my interest and if they go that route, it's going to cost a lot of money. I'm a DC guy but this kind of stuff tends to be a hit or miss but this series looks like a miss and if I were them, I turn this into a Animation series since DC good at those then of Marvel Animations.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Eh... didn't like the concept of Gotham, so this appears to be just another Gotham, but for Superman. I hope this isn't a new trend of making superhero TV series without the actual superheroes.

Gotham is good.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105  Online
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

I like Gotham as well. On the other hand I did not care for Man of Steel so I'm not looking forward to this series.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Serraph105 said:

@LJS9502_basic:

I like Gotham as well. On the other hand I did not care for Man of Steel so I'm not looking forward to this series.

Man of Steel was okay....most reboots aren't the best in a series of movies. You have to get it out of the way to see what builds. It wasn't horrible....I liked that it was darker. But time will tell if the movie series picks up.

As for Krypton.....I won't make a decision until I watch it. I hate Agents of SHIELD. Watched several episodes before abandoning it. Hey I tried.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Considering how unremarkable Gotham is, I have serious doubts about how this show is going to be.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Gotham is good.

Agreed, I'm really enjoying Gotham. Hopefully they can do something with Krypton. It is a gamble to create a series without the Superhero, but so far I think Gotham has been doing a pretty good job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Superhero stuff tends to work better as cartoons imo.

Besides; they probably have a skimpy budget. Kyrpton will probably take place in a bunch of abandoned warehouses.

I like the new CW's Flash. The acting is disappointing though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I get Gotham since Batman is still there just as a kid and its interesting to see how he actually grows up and becomes Batman.

Krypton i don´t get and i dont see a point to it, do we really need to know about Krypton, in terms of superman it has no relevance. But its Syfy the place Sci-fi goes to die.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@solidruss said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Gotham is good.

Agreed, I'm really enjoying Gotham. Hopefully they can do something with Krypton. It is a gamble to create a series without the Superhero, but so far I think Gotham has been doing a pretty good job.

Same here Gotham is a excellent show and luckily it seems to have hit the high ratings so we will get a few more seasons of it :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@davillain- said:

This is interesting. I guess I'm one of the few here on Gamespot OT who really like Man of Steel and I own the Blu-Ray which is still the best Superman movie I watch but anyways, for some reason, I always I doubt this Krypton t.v series would work though I mean, Smallvill did okay but the way it sounds, this is going to be just like Gotham without the Batman so with that said, Krypton Citizens will be just normal people cause there Sun is not young yellow as it's on Earth so no powers here for them but I will say this, the 30 minute War in Man of Steel did get my interest and if they go that route, it's going to cost a lot of money. I'm a DC guy but this kind of stuff tends to be a hit or miss but this series looks like a miss and if I were them, I turn this into a Animation series since DC good at those then of Marvel Animations.

I liked MAn of Steel aswell. I am interested in this. So many haters in this thread

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Wow the superhero genre is being milked dry. Its ludicrous just how hard producers are trying now.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Yet another superhero television series that I won't waste my time on.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

I am hesitant considering the channel it is on, at least Gotham had a decent budget to work with being on Fox, being on SYFY is a bigger downgrade than the CW

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@GazaAli said:

Wow the superhero genre is being milked dry. Its ludicrous just how hard producers are trying now.

How is it being milked dry when it's so big? Besides this is original, none of this are in the comics

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@GazaAli said:

indeed.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

How is it being milked dry when it's so big? Besides this is original, none of this are in the comics

It is being milked because producers are innovating just way too hard, and at a hasty rate too. How many spiderman movies did we have over the course of the past few years? Nowadays it seems that the production of the next installment in a superhero franchise commences immediately after the premier of the latest installment if not coincidentally. There is no way these producers are making anything of decent quality. And then there is this new trend of superhero franchises giving birth to spin-offs that do not include the superheros themselves. If this is not milking a franchise then I don't what is.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

SyFy? Yeah...no.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

@GazaAli said:

It took a while for us to be able to develop enough technology to properly/effectively bring the comic book universes to the big screen. One good success story led to another, and another after that and so on. I guess people have started appreciating the lore behind most of these comic books and they want to milk it as much as they can. Its basically a never ending mine for tv / bigscreen producers. Like most things, people will get tired of these types of movies, and then they'll move on to the next thing...our vidya games lol

@davillain- said:

This is interesting. I guess I'm one of the few here on Gamespot OT who really like Man of Steel and I own the Blu-Ray which is still the best Superman movie I watch

You are not alone. To date, man of steel, is still my favorite superhero movie. Those fight scenes and the torment of the superhero and the super villain (not any of that plain-as-day good vs bad stuff). I too own the blu ray and I've watched it at least five times already. Can't wait for Batman vs Superman. If its anything half as good as the Dark Knight returns (best batman story ever written/animated imo), it might replace man of steel as my favorite movie. I got chills when I saw that teaser trailer they showed at comicon with Batman in the armored suit and superman's eyes burning red.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@GazaAli said:

This.

They should juust make Batman/Superman tv shows, since DC's TV universe is seperate from their Movie universe...(confirmed by Flash/Arrow producers).

Instead we get garbage like Gotham and Kyrpton.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Last_Ride

@GazaAli said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

It is being milked because producers are innovating just way too hard, and at a hasty rate too. How many spiderman movies did we have over the course of the past few years? Nowadays it seems that the production of the next installment in a superhero franchise commences immediately after the premier of the latest installment if not coincidentally. There is no way these producers are making anything of decent quality. And then there is this new trend of superhero franchises giving birth to spin-offs that do not include the superheros themselves. If this is not milking a franchise then I don't what is.

But how many sequels have we gotten of other movies that have had no plans or overarching story? Terminator hasn't really connected all the movies that well, we also have others. The new DC and Marvel movies at least do that and have quality imho. You can argue that Spiderman and the X-men movies have been meh. But the superhero movies have been mostly quality, also if you don't like it don't watch it

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GazaAli

@verbalfilth said:

@GazaAli said:

It took a while for us to be able to develop enough technology to properly/effectively bring the comic book universes to the big screen. One good success story led to another, and another after that and so on. I guess people have started appreciating the lore behind most of these comic books and they want to milk it as much as they can. Its basically a never ending mine for tv / bigscreen producers. Like most things, people will get tired of these types of movies, and then they'll move on to the next thing...our vidya games lol

That's actually a fair point I concede. It is the nature of the genre to require advanced technical innovation in the department of special effects and whatnot for the work to be anything of quality. That has been achieved only relatively recently. It explains part of the overabundance of superheros movies but obviously not all of it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

But how many sequels have we gotten of other movies that have had no plans or overarching story? Terminator hasn't really connected all the movies that well, we also have others. The new DC and Marvel movies at least do that and have quality imho. You can argue that Spiderman and the X-men movies have been meh. But the superhero movies have been mostly quality, also if you don't like it don't watch it

What does terminator have to do with anything in the context of this topic? If the terminator franchise didn't produce decent quality sequels that connect the plot properly then the terminator franchise sucks. That's not an invitation for other franchises to suck as well.

Its possible that we have different opinions regarding what constitutes quality. At any rate, yes I don't like it and I don't watch it indeed which is not to say that I can't criticize it whether based on the fact that you know, I can, or on the fact that the more money is being poured into the production of movies I don't like the less likely movies that I might like will see the light of the day. As such, it actually concerns me in a way.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Jankarcop said:

@GazaAli said:

This.

They should juust make Batman/Superman tv shows, since DC's TV universe is seperate from their Movie universe...(confirmed by Flash/Arrow producers).

Instead we get garbage like Gotham and Kyrpton.

Gotham isn't garbage and it's stupid to pass judgment on Krypton sine there is no basis to form an opinion yet. Anyway....agreeing with Gaza shows bad judgment to start with so there's that.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105  Online
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

Five over the course of twelve years.

I would say that there probably isn't a decent way to do a superhero movie universe the way Marvel has without putting out a bunch of movies quickly. It's already difficult to get big name actors to reprise the same roles again and again much less booking them to do it over the course of a decade or more just so that the audiences don't feel like superhero movies are getting tired out.

Also have you seen the Winter Soldier? Because it was excellent.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@GazaAli said:

What does terminator have to do with anything in the context of this topic? If the terminator franchise didn't produce decent quality sequels that connect the plot properly then the terminator franchise sucks. That's not an invitation for other franchises to suck as well.

Its possible that we have different opinions regarding what constitutes quality. At any rate, yes I don't like it and I don't watch it indeed which is not to say that I can't criticize it whether based on the fact that you know, I can, or on the fact that the more money is being poured into the production of movies I don't like the less likely movies that I might like will see the light of the day. As such, it actually concerns me in a way.

Terminator has been shot over 30 years, therefore it's been hard to get some sort of continued story on it. I am not saying they're not quality, it's just a better story combined in several movies

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GazaAli

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

Terminator has been shot over 30 years, therefore it's been hard to get some sort of continued story on it. I am not saying they're not quality, it's just a better story combined in several movies

Can't say I'm following the point you're making. If the terminator franchise has, as per the opinion you stated, a better plot than other superhero movies and taking into account that it has spanned more than 30 years which is a long period of time in comparison to the mostly young superhero franchises and their offshoots then you're basically reiterating what I said and thus agreeing with me. I doubt that is your intention though.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GazaAli

@Serraph105 said:

@GazaAli said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

Five over the course of twelve years.

I would say that there probably isn't a decent way to do a superhero movie universe the way Marvel has without putting out a bunch of movies quickly. It's already difficult to get big name actors to reprise the same roles again and again much less booking them to do it over the course of a decade or more just so that the audiences don't feel like superhero movies are getting tired out.

Also have you seen the Winter Soldier? Because it was excellent.

Five installments of the same movie franchise in twelve years is hard to associate with quality. That's how I feel about it anyway. You simply suck the franchise dry with such pacing. Maybe I'm making the mistake of expecting quality out of everything. I mean people hardly watch superhero movies for quality; instead, they watch them as action flicks mostly. The fact that I don't particularly appreciate such contents as action flicks is kind of irrelevant to many people out there even if the point I'm making is true overall. With that said, this recent trend of superhero shows is really pushing the envelope even by the lowest acceptable standards and the lowest common denominator factor.

And with regards to Winter Soldier, No, I haven't really. Actually, didn't even hear about it until now. I'm only recently going back to movies as I've been watching mostly shows for the past couple of years.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I prefer superheroes in cartoon and comic form. Series like Agents of Shield tend to have too litlle super hero antics and too much talking.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#36 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Arrow and Flash crossover-ed well in the way both universe are simultaneously effected by one another. More series are welcomed.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Meh. I hope it's better than Gotham.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The_Last_Ride

@GazaAli said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@GazaAli said:

Can't say I'm following the point you're making. If the terminator franchise has, as per the opinion you stated, a better plot than other superhero movies and taking into account that it has spanned more than 30 years which is a long period of time in comparison to the mostly young superhero franchises and their offshoots then you're basically reiterating what I said and thus agreeing with me. I doubt that is your intention though.

No i am just saying that the Superhero movies have been more consistent with actors and storylines. Arnold is the only one that's been in the Terminator movies over time