Keurig vs Traditional Coffee Maker

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Which do you prefer?

Maybe I'm old school, but I'll take the old coffee maker over a Keurig machine any day of the week. While, the latter is convenient and quicker, I think you sacrifice taste and quality that you get from a traditional machine. Plus, the price of k-cups is outrageous.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

While I have only used the K-Cups at a hotel, I prefer the drip coffee machine.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I no longer have a coffee maker. I am thinking of getting this though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BG7MK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=JIALDDKQAKOF&coliid=I7PR9GF7JLCWQ

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

I don't like my Keurig. It doesn't make the coffee hot enough. And just how in the hell can you select 3 different cup sizes for the same amout of coffee??? That is not how coffee works! And the price of the coffee too. I can spend the same amount on a big tin of coffee and drink for almost a month, with keurig it lasts 1 week. You can buy the filter that you can use your own coffee in but, it still won't make it hot enough for me.

The Keurig is a good idea for a workplace coffee machine. It eliminates the need for 2 machines since lots of people do drink decafe. In the end it seems more like a gimmick than a "better" brew.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6939 Posts

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I only use the Keurig on the weekends.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

French press all the way, baby.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Thread makes no sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water, not the machine.

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasean79

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

This.

Tassimo and Keurig machines provide a quicker and more convenient way to have coffee. As long as the coffee quality in the cups is good, and the water is filtered (or not, if that's what one prefers), then the coffee is going to be good. One doesn't need to hand grind the beans themselves, and press them in a French press to get a better cup of coffee. Sure, it'll be a little bit fresher, but with packaging technology today, it's hard to argue with much less time consumption versus a more "traditional" cup of coffee.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

This.

I disagree. I used the "fill it yourself" k-cup with same coffee I brew at home and the taste is weak on a keurig. I don't know the inner workings of a keurig, but whatever it does it is NOT the same taste as a traditional machine. The keurig I used was hooked up to a water line with filter, so it's not the quality of water that was bad. It's the machine.

I'm not experienced with Keurig machines, so I really cannot comment, but I doubt it's the machine. The coffee I get in Nabob T-cups (the Tassimo variant) looks exactly like the kind that comes in my bag for drip makers.

This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Wish I had the money and time to invest in checking it.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

This.

I'm not experienced with Keurig machines, so I really cannot comment, but I doubt it's the machine. The coffee I get in Nabob T-cups (the Tassimo variant) looks exactly like the kind that comes in my bag for drip makers.

This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Wish I had the money and time to invest in checking it.

Keurigs do make one weak coffee. I'm sure that's because the Keurig forces the water through the K-cup pretty f'n fast. While the traditonal maker just drips the water over the grinds and it actually has time to extract some coffee.

So let me just correct SUD123456's statment. "This does make sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water and the machine"

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By foxhound_fox

@Mikey132 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@jasean79 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@SUD123456 said:

This.

Keurigs do make one weak coffee. I'm sure that's because the Keurig forces the water through the K-cup pretty f'n fast. While the traditonal maker just drips the water over the grinds and it actually has time to extract some coffee.

So let me just correct SUD123456's statment. "This does make sense. The taste and quality are functions of the coffee beans and the water and the machine"

Yeah, I've used a Keurig maybe twice (both in hotel rooms), and they seem to run a lot faster than my Tassimo.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I love my Keurig, my favorite is called "My Blend" very tasty breakfast blend type coffee.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

none of those.. I use Vietnamese coffee maker stainless steel one cup at a time filter.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#16 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts
@sammyjenkis898 said:

Came here to say this. I try to limit the amount of waste I create, the press is the way to go.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasean79

@Namgis said:
@sammyjenkis898 said:

Came here to say this. I try to limit the amount of waste I create, the press is the way to go.

I've heard that the press pot is the best tasting way to enjoy coffee. I have yet to try this, but I will. I like strong coffee, so no doubts that I'll like this.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@Dogswithguns said:

none of those.. I use Vietnamese coffee maker stainless steel one cup at a time filter.

This Vietnamese place makes ice coffee with the same method I believe and its pretty darn strong.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I like my Keurig plenty. It's extremely convenient and I take care of mine so it tastes just as good every single time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I'm fine with K-cup flavors, but damn that shit is expensive. No thanks. At best it's like $.50/cup and you have to buy in bulk at Walmart or Costco. If they got it down to $.25/cup from anywhere and not require one buy in bulk then I'd be all over it.

I think businesses that have them though in their break room and provide employees with access to it for free, then I'm all for K-cups.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I make all of my coffee with a French Press.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I am currently looking into getting a Keurig machine and possibly replace my traditional coffee marker. My current coffee maker I could make a pot for more then one cup and able to adjust the strength of the coffee with the number of scoops. The keurig coffee cartridges is only for one single cup from what I've read and it seems to be wasteful and more expensive.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

pod machine?..bleh...stick with proper coffee machine. :P

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points