Kermit Gosnell guilty of three murders in late-term abortions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

A Philadelphia doctor has been convicted of the first-degree murders of three babies delivered and killed with scissors in late-term abortions. Dr Kermit Gosnell, 72, was acquitted on another charge of killing a fourth baby, who let out a whimper before he cut its neck, prosecutors said. He was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter of an adult patient who died of an overdose. The case was seized on by both sides in the US debate over abortion. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for Gosnell. He performed thousands of abortions over a career spanning three decades. Officials said his medical practice earned him about $1.8m (£1.1m) a year. 'House of horrors' Former staff members of the clinic testified that he had routinely performed illegal late-term abortions past Pennsylvania's 24-week limit. The six-week trial heard how Gosnell would deliver babies alive then use scissors to "snip" - as he referred to it - their spines. Among the untrained staff who helped to perform the terminations was Gosnell's wife, Pearl. She pleaded guilty to a number of charges and testified against him. The trial heard that one of the babies was almost 30 weeks when aborted, and had grown so large that Gosnell joked it could "walk to the bus". A second foetus was said to have clung to life for about 20 minutes. A third was born in a toilet and seen moving before a clinic employee severed its spinal cord, according to testimony. Gosnell's lawyer, Jack McMahon, had argued that none of the foetuses was born alive. Any movement was posthumous twitching or spasms, he said. The attorney branded prosecutors "elitist" and "racist" for pursuing his client, who is black. Gosnell did not testify and no witnesses were called in his defence. Prosecutors argued that Gosnell had run a filthy, out-of-date "house of horrors" with unqualified staff - including those who administered a lethal dose of sedatives to Karnamaya Mongar, a 41-year-old refugee from Nepal. Defence lawyers had argued the abortion patient's 2009 death was a result of unforeseen complications. Prosecutor Ed Cameron said to Gosnell during closing arguments: "Are you human? To med these women up and stick knives in the backs of babies?" "He created an assembly line with no regard for these women whatsoever," Mr Cameron had said. Severed feet Officials said a raid of the clinic, in a poor section of West Philadelphia, had turned up bags and bottles of foetal remains, including severed feet. The clinic also had bloodstained furniture, dirty medical tools and cats roaming the premises. Karnamaya Mongar (left) died of a sedative overdose at the clinic During the trial, Judge Jeffrey Minehart threw out three other murder charges involving aborted foetuses. The jury was earlier deadlocked on two counts against Gosnell, but did not specify which of the multiple counts. After the verdict was read on Monday, Gosnell appeared calm, the Associated Press news agency reports. The jury will return next week to hear evidence on whether he should get the death penalty. The trial became a cudgel for those on both sides of the abortion debate in the US. Anti-abortion activists said the case exposed the grim reality of the procedure, and accused US media of ignoring the case because of liberal bias. But abortion rights groups warned the case showed what would happen if laws on such procedures were tightened, driving desperate women to unregulated backstreet clinics. The case also exposed failings by Pennsylvania's health authorities. Officials had failed to conduct routine inspections of all of its abortion clinics for 15 years by the time Gosnell's operation was raided and closed more than two years ago. Two top state health department officials were sacked, and Pennsylvania imposed tougher rules for clinics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22518979
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

inb4 Gosnell apologists.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
I'm pro choice but f*ck a Gosnell.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'm pro choice but f*ck a Gosnell.MrPraline
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Don't care whether you are pro choice or not, this guy is scum and so are the parents who let him do this
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

disgusting.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

He killed full term babies that were born alive. This isn't even an aboriton thing. The guy murdered babies. 

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

He killed full term babies that were born alive. This isn't even an aboriton thing. The guy murdered babies. 

bigfoot2045
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Deserves to rot in prison.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts
Good and yes, he deserves the death penalty.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I saw some pictures of his operating rooms and they were like scenes from a horror movie.

I hope this guy dies.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

His actions were terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I'm pro choice but f*ck a Gosnell.MrPraline

Yup.

He deserves to have his balls ripped off without anesthesia.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#14 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

What the f*ck? Dude must have been a psycopath or something no normal person would do that.

ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

They say he even kept body parts and things like that. This guy is full on deranged.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

What the f*ck? Dude must have been a psycopath or something no normal person would do that.

cain006

It's pretty obvious that he was depraved.

He deserves nothing less than a hanging and his accomplices some years in jail...

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#17 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
The psycho sounds like Dr Mengele's child or something like that... also, what will happen to the "parents" who allowed him to do this? I doubt he kidnapped and strapped pregnant girls to his operation table
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Excellent news 

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Damn. Even if I were completely pro-choice I'd want this guy locked up.
RandoIphF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RandoIphF
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

inb4 Gosnell apologists.

Storm_Marine
Any other imaginary groups in this forum you would like to send a shout out to while you're at it??
LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
Abortion is wrong and Gosnell deserved to be convicted.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Pretty sure there isn't a person in the country who's sad to see this guy locked up.
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts
Pretty sure there isn't a person in the country who's sad to see this guy locked up.chessmaster1989
His family maybe?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

inb4 Gosnell apologists.

RandoIphF

Any other imaginary groups in this forum you would like to send a shout out to while you're at it??

It's the internet. Don't worry. They'll show up eventually.

@topic: Wow. I'm extremely pro-choice, but that is just beyond sick. As someone already said here, it's not even an abortion issue. Dude murdered babies. There is no defending it (which is why it's not surprising that his lawyer pulled the race card).

Hope they give him the death penalty. I'd gladly look him in the eyes and flip the switch, if no one else wants to get their hands dirty.

chunkowookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chunkowookie
Member since 2012 • 270 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Pretty sure there isn't a person in the country who's sad to see this guy locked up.kingkong0124
His family maybe?

maybe... I don't know though. What he did is inhumanly sick. If I were related to someone who did that, I'd disown them from my family, burn any family photos with him in them, and deny the relation. I did that once already, with a cousin I had who raped a few girls. I was at the sentencing hearing when the judge gave him 20 years. As they hauled him away, he looked right at me, and I flipped him off, told him not to expect any visits, and advised him not to drop the soap.

bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

The psycho sounds like Dr Mengele's child or something like that... also, what will happen to the "parents" who allowed him to do this? I doubt he kidnapped and strapped pregnant girls to his operation tablelightleggy

Actually, since you mention it, that's precisely what he did in some cases. 

Girl age 15, accompanied by relative (1998): said to have told Gosnell she changed her mind about the abortion once inside the practice. Gosnell allegedly got upset, ripped off the patient's clothing, and forcibly restrained her.The patient later stated that Gosnell told her "This is the same care that I would give to my own daughter." She regained consciousness 12 hours later at her aunt's home, the abortion having been completed against her will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_gosnell

Guy was an absolute madman. I can't believe how long this kind of stuff was allowed to go on. 

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

The psycho sounds like Dr Mengele's child or something like that... also, what will happen to the "parents" who allowed him to do this? I doubt he kidnapped and strapped pregnant girls to his operation tablelightleggy
Kidnapped no, but strapped, maybe:

"Davida Johnson is also speaking out about the abortion Gosnell did and she said the abortion facility he ran was filthy with women sitting on blood-stained recliners. She told the Associated press she had a change of heart about the abortion but was forced to continue the abortion.

I said, I dont want to do this, and he smacked me. They tied my hands and arms down and gave me more medication, she told AP."

It does beg the question though, if a woman goes in for an abortion and then changes her mind (which probably isn't uncommon), at what point is the abortionist required not to carry it through? I don't know if there are any laws in this regard, but he should be required not to go through with the abortion if the mother changes her mind.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]The psycho sounds like Dr Mengele's child or something like that... also, what will happen to the "parents" who allowed him to do this? I doubt he kidnapped and strapped pregnant girls to his operation tablewhipassmt

"Davida Johnson is also speaking out about the abortion Gosnell did and she said the abortion facility he ran was filthy with women sitting on blood-stained recliners. She told the Associated press she had a change of heart about the abortion but was forced to continue the abortion.

I said, I dont want to do this, and he smacked me. They tied my hands and arms down and gave me more medication, she told AP."

It does beg the question though, if a woman goes in for an abortion and then changes her mind (which probably isn't uncommon), at what point is the abortionist required not to carry it through? I don't know if there are any laws in this regard, but he should be required not to go through with the abortion if the mother changes her mind.

Really? It begs the question?  The answer should be obvious.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]The psycho sounds like Dr Mengele's child or something like that... also, what will happen to the "parents" who allowed him to do this? I doubt he kidnapped and strapped pregnant girls to his operation tableworlock77

Really? It begs the question? The answer should be obvious.

He is legally required not to go through with the abortion, right?

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] Kidnapped no, but strapped, maybe:

whipassmt

Really? It begs the question? The answer should be obvious.

He is legally required not to go through with the abortion, right?

I would think so. At any point up to the "point of no return" (meaning the point at which the proceedure has begun and cannot be halted or reversed). Kinda like if you go in for a operation, get dressed, on the operating table ready to begin, but change your mind at the last moment and decide not to go through with it then they should be obligated to stop.