Keeping motivated and fitness work weight loss journey.

#1 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

I been Jogging for a very long time maybe a few months now.

When I first started I had loads of weight and blood pressure problems.

Of course I was not going to take blood pressure medication. I had made the choice that will change my life for good.

I started Jogging and put mind over physical body to do it.

When I first started Jogging I was puffed out and weezing coughing and spewing as I ran over not even half a lap around the block.

I used to weigh 120 kilos and my gut was big and I mean big.

Over the period of july and may last year it took a lot of exercise to officially get there.

In august I stopped jogging because of my splints and did not have inserts.

It was a waiting game to wait to buy and mold and fit my inserts. I seen my foot doctor and he told me I had to Jog on a flat surface because my flat feet were not handling the pressure of the ground on foot.

Eventually it took some time for the molds to work for my feet.

In november very early I restarted again and never stopped jogging ever since.

I used to keep starting and stopping because I had a issue with being lazy with exercise because I kept losing motivation and discipline and suddenly my mind snapped and I had enough of stopping so I kept going and never looked back ever since.

Now I jog 40 to 50 minutes every second to third day.

Without puffing out at all.

My blood pressure is 131 blood pressure now and it used to be 150 when I was overweight.

My resting heart beats per minute is now 61 beats per minute while my resting heart rate used to be over 80 beats per minute.

I am so proud of myself. And no ! I will never stop and I promise to myself on my life I will stay disciplined with myself and I will never stop ever again! I am set for life!

#2 Posted by l34052 (3876 posts) -

Well done for changing your life man. Lots of people make grandiose plans but it takes real dedication to actually follow through with those ideas and even more to continue with them.

#3 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43076 posts) -

Kudos to you! I am on my own weight loss journey as well.

Do you lift weights? More muscle mass = more efficient weight loss. Jogging is really good for burning calories per time, but weight lifting is better for burning calories all day long.

@guerilla-man said:

I am so proud of myself. And no ! I will never stop and I promise to myself on my life I will stay disciplined with myself and I will never stop ever again! I am set for life!

I need to take that sort of pride in myself. I generally get down on myself and this puts me in a funk which in turns ruins my motivation.

I was actually waking up early today just to go to the gym, sat down here at the computer, got unmotivated. But after reading your post I am going to go!

#4 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

Privacy it important in this aspects. In my field it often told to elder that meditation it can help with stresses. On of our client say she meditate openly but she also say when she stop it have to do with other people disrupting her. It not something we can deal with which it is unfortunate.

So good for you on achievement. Finger cross that nobody try to throw you off a path. It happen trust me. Certain field almost require privacy and peace of mind but many is to stubborn and ignorant to see this.

Picture like this: people who get up in the business of other too much it like running into a groups church or sanctuary and scream to act a fool! Popai! This is just not right thing to do. No matter believe you still must have some respect.

#5 Posted by Horgen (119435 posts) -

Try to add some light weightlifting in there as well. It will help prevent muscle loss while losing weight.

#6 Edited by XVision84 (15086 posts) -

Nice to hear :). Weight training is also a fantastic method of maintaining healthy cholesterol and blood pressure since it diverts glycogen/triglyceride storage to muscles among other things.

The issue with jogging is that the cardiovascular benefits degrade quickly if you stop and prolonged/regular jogging increases your risk of arthritis.

I'm no doctor, but I am studying this stuff and I know these things happen in certain cases so it might be worth asking a doctor about! Especially considering how much you jog and that you want it to be a long term commitment.

#7 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Thank you .

I play video games but I play in a balance meaning I don’t play all day everyday. I try and fit other activities in my day. Jogging for me is important as I recently last year had a diabetes test and it tested I was clear from any diabetes means I do not have diabetes in my system means I don’t have diabetes. I had more weight then what I have now. But I worked on it in that time for 2 full months of just working on my sit ups and jogging exercises.

I would lift weights but unfortunately I don’t life weights right now at the moment but I want to.

Stamina is very important thing for heart building. And so are strengthening of muscles.

This year is going to be a full year of jogging and sit ups and yes I will try what you suggested weight lifting .

My body has made drastic changes since my 3 blood tests but I know if my heart is healthy my glucose levels are healthy. I have nothing to worry about.

But thank you for your encouragement,much appreciated !

#8 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: take it easy wih your new lifestyle never over do it.

Its good to rest in between days and exercise other days. This is how I did it. I totally encourage you to keep going no matter what the case just keep pushing and you will get there successfully. I believe any one can do it ! Its just a mind over body thing. Good on you man! Im proud of you!

#9 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@x_karen_x: meditation is great actually.

Its really good to just zone out and relax as well.

Helps relieve stress and anxiety. Thanks for that bit of advice.

#10 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@XVision84: After hearing so many good benefits of what exercise does. But it does not make other ailments in your body go away. My dad had many body conditions and he almost 70 years old and fitter then me. I do jogging for 40 minutes he joggs for over an hour every second day but I am hoping to catch up to dad soon! He has been jogging for years and he still gets ailments and body conditions. But I guess exercise stops major ailments from settling into your body . While exercises will not stop minor elements from getting into your body as your body will cope and survive from those minor ailments in the body. All our bodies are different and we all vary with different conditions in our body. Depends on the genes. So I do beleive exercise will stop major ailments like arthritis and diabetes from settling in . But if you let it go for years and don’t exercise and yes your body will react to that eventually with a disease.

#11 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@l34052: Thankyou man! Much appreciated.👍

#12 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@guerilla-man:

I indirectly know a group of people that disagree with you. I work with the person that know them. They the type that are cultish and would disrupt your meditation.

#13 Posted by Sevenizz (2895 posts) -

I can’t recommend an elliptical enough over running. So much better for your joints and bones. If you want one for the home you’ll need to invest in a good one over a cheap $100 unit from a Walmart.

#14 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@Sevenizz: yeah I been to walmart before but where I come from walmart does not exist.

#15 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@Sevenizz:

It not true. Running is natural motion. It something human is natural to do. What a problem is people face is what the surface they run on and shoe they wear or what combination it in.

#16 Posted by Sevenizz (2895 posts) -

@guerilla-man: I use Walmart as an example of a retailer who sells cheap elliptical machines. Obviously I meant any cheap unit.

#17 Posted by Sevenizz (2895 posts) -

@x_karen_x: An elliptical machine has been proven safer for your bones and joints over a treadmill or basic running. There is no counter argument here.

#18 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@x_karen_x: its good to be in your own little space to meditate. Meditation is great ! Like I said. Soothes the soul !

#19 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@guerilla-man:

Huh? Confuse why you repeat? I say basically other will disagree with you because there is people that do not believe this. It a group I indirectly know.

#20 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@Sevenizz:

Ignorant is bliss. Safer is a key word. It safer why though? Because it is people do not know how to run or what surface to run on. If you look outside it is concrete or asphalt. Concrete it is not a natural surface. Asphalt mostly lay not flat but curve which mean one leg is acting different than other. This bring different shoe into play. Different type of shoe is made for different surface. Running shoe is made for a stride specifically but then also the fit matter too along with material of shoe against what ground.

Running track is made of that material for a reason. It almost like simulate earth surface like bounce of perfect field of grass. It have more grip. It why you see Olympic athlete with specific shoe. These shoe not be good for concrete or asphalt.

For basic person with no access to running track best idea is to wake up very early and run in middle of street where surface is most balance. Asphalt better to run on than concrete because it softer. I learn this from my coworker she alway talk about guy she lovey dovey over.

Human being have been running since dawn of man kind. Elliptical not exist for this amount of time. I not say elliptical is bad, but it safer for The layman. It more for strength building or rehabilitation. It something we use for the elders.

#21 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@x_karen_x: I really don’t care if people disagree with me. I am just putting a good word in over what meditation does. I don’t use meditation much ! I go deep into prayer . I don’t really care if someone does not believe in what meditation does . Im not going to argue or debate.

#22 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@guerilla-man:

It not argument I say it is people who disrupt what you like to do. If it prayer you are into these would be types of people which spit on bible or whichever faith you follow.

#23 Posted by XVision84 (15086 posts) -

@guerilla-man: Exercise is good at helping prevent illness since it positively affects a lot of processes in your body. It makes you less susceptible usually but it won't prevent it all together. Some people exercise a lot and eat healthy and still have heart attacks. It sucks but that's part of life unfortunately.

#24 Posted by XVision84 (15086 posts) -

@x_karen_x: Running is a natural motion and arthritis/joint-wear is a natural process. Natural doesn't mean it's good for you.

#25 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

@XVision84:

I not disagree wholeheartedly. We are only human afterall. Many thing not so good. If we avoid all danger we just sit in a bubble and control thing virtually. I even mention elsewhere that my coworker knew someone who over did running.

#26 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

@XVision84: heart attacks happen to people who do not rest enough during exercises and have bad heart conditions. I have no bad heart conditions for starters and I always rest between days during exercising to let my heart catch up. I do not need to be a fanatic and exercise every second of the day. I just give myself regular exercises and rest and my heart will be healthy.

#27 Posted by Speeny (1124 posts) -

Good on you. I lost a lot of my weight in 2014 but then only recently put it back on. (I'm probably my heaviest at the moment.) Food for me is definitely a coping mechanism. It's not a good one. But until I find the motivation to lose weight again...

Also, I think it helps to have an exercise partner. I've never been fortunate enough to have one though.

#28 Edited by Shmiity (6223 posts) -

Man, good for you. Lifestyle change is huge. Keep up the good fight

#29 Posted by Horgen (119435 posts) -

@guerilla-man said:

@XVision84: After hearing so many good benefits of what exercise does. But it does not make other ailments in your body go away. My dad had many body conditions and he almost 70 years old and fitter then me. I do jogging for 40 minutes he joggs for over an hour every second day but I am hoping to catch up to dad soon! He has been jogging for years and he still gets ailments and body conditions. But I guess exercise stops major ailments from settling into your body . While exercises will not stop minor elements from getting into your body as your body will cope and survive from those minor ailments in the body. All our bodies are different and we all vary with different conditions in our body. Depends on the genes. So I do beleive exercise will stop major ailments like arthritis and diabetes from settling in . But if you let it go for years and don’t exercise and yes your body will react to that eventually with a disease.

As you get older I would focus more on strength than stamina. Still work so you have decent stamina, but stamina won't help you much if you are to weak to walk up stairs.

Not trying to downplay the significance of running, but don't forget strength as well.

#31 Posted by shellcase86 (4255 posts) -

Nice! I'm working on running more regularly now, too.

#32 Posted by X_Karen_x (368 posts) -

I work on my mental state with my coworker. It much easier when in pair. She crazy about a guy but not have the courage to call him and it is something I say not so big of a deal. She help me with stress from work when I get many questions which make little sense to me.

#33 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

Just the thing that I came up with is do not rely on just doctors. Doctors do help with saving lives and recovering from many illnesses. But don’t just rely on them alone.

And believe me we all need them.

My dad is as fit as a mully bull. He still gets health problems and conditions. He has skin cancer and needs to get it treated every few years. He also has too many red blood cells in his body. I hope to reach my goal on being more fitter then my father who is now fitter then me at the moment. I told myself years ago I want to be fitter then my father but will I be able to make this happen and put in all the work to make it happen.

I have two voices in my head speaking.

The negative lazy voice says you are lazy and need to sit back and relax and not exercise. And a positive good voice says you have made so much progress and you need to keep going and don’t look back. There are basically two forces at work here and my higher voice speaks. I follow the higher voice to never look back and keep going.

The more you put in the work the more stronger your heart becomes.

The less you work your heart , the weaker it gets.

Never look back keep going!

#34 Edited by MirkoS77 (13749 posts) -

I tend to binge workout. I'm blessed to be naturally thin, tall, and have broad shoulders to hide any extra pounds I do have, but eventually the spare tire shows. I'll then go to the gym 4-5 times a week after getting depressed taking a look in the mirror and then bust my butt on the elliptical and burn it off over about a month or so. Then I stop and relax and go back to eating until I gain it all back, then repeat the process. It's probably not the healthiest lifestyle, but my blood pressure and LDL always check out in the remarkably good range, and I have a low resting heartbeat that's very quick to react to, say, taking a deep breath (which my doctor said such minimal reaction is indicative of a healthy heart).

Working out is.....just work.....and it takes a lot of dedication and discipline. It's difficult to keep it always going in me, and made all the worse because it's so incredibly easy to say "I'll head to the gym tomorrow" while laying back in bed in front of the T.V. with that piece of chocolate pie in your lap. I remember back when I was twenty.....it seemed the more junk food I ate, I actively LOST weight. Now one bite from a Big Mac and I can feel it being put on.

#35 Posted by guerilla-man (39 posts) -

I naturally should be fitter then my dad because I have a younger body then him.

Not saying I want to be better then my dad.

My dad is very fit and can run for miles without puffing out.

I jogged for 45 minutes in time length .that is 5 km of running every second day.

#36 Posted by Solaryellow (4612 posts) -

You want chocolate w/o the carbs, calories and stuff? Try the Atkins shakes advertised on television by Rob Lowe.

#37 Posted by pook99 (818 posts) -

The trick to working out consistently is find something you enjoy doing. I tried running for a while and just hated it and it is very difficult to force yourself to do something you hate multiple times a week. I love lifting weights and I love training judo/bjj/kickboxing, so that becomes its own motivation since it is something I want to do.

My issue is my diet, I love food, hate being hungry, and have a really hard time dieting because I don't want to lose muscle, which is what happens everytime I diet.

#38 Posted by Horgen (119435 posts) -

@pook99 said:

The trick to working out consistently is find something you enjoy doing. I tried running for a while and just hated it and it is very difficult to force yourself to do something you hate multiple times a week. I love lifting weights and I love training judo/bjj/kickboxing, so that becomes its own motivation since it is something I want to do.

My issue is my diet, I love food, hate being hungry, and have a really hard time dieting because I don't want to lose muscle, which is what happens everytime I diet.

Increase protein intake when you try to lose weight. Also while you might feel weaker. As in the weights are heavier and you can do fewer repetitions, it's because you have less energy stored in your muscles. Focus on keeping the heavy lifts and turn the volume down.

The theory behind it I think was that you take away something the body needs(calories) to recover. By lowering the volume you lower the tear and need for recovery. Keeping the intensity (heavy weights in weight lifting) and increased protein intake allows you to still lose weight while not get weaker (by any significant amount at least).

#39 Posted by 360ru13r (1839 posts) -

Congrats man I know weight loss is hard because I'm trying to lose weight myself and a lot of the changes that have to be made require some clear resolve. Like cutting back on sugar and bread. Man those two were the hardest of them all. Like the exercise part is easy but the diet part is hard. Also, a tip is careful on cheat days. Those are days where you can accidentally go overboard if you are not careful. Remember moderation is the key.

#40 Posted by Thomasonie (8 posts) -

I often walk from home to work. And climb stairs instead of taking an elevator

#41 Posted by comp_atkins (35423 posts) -

i think the biggest thing people need to realize is what a grind it is and how much patience is required.

there is no quick route to changing yourself. accept this fact and the work becomes much easier.