Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58645 Posts

Thoughts?

Well, there was actually 2 Joker trailers recently, for two different Jokers, one of which played 4 Jokers.

I have to say, the Gotham one looks more interesting imo.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

Didn't care for the movie trailer and Gotham blows. Sad! No smiles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

They could raise Heath Ledger from the grave and cast him in Gotham and I still wouldn't want to watch it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

I think it looks amazing. Love the trailer. Joaquin Phoenix is an amazing actor. He made falling in love with a smart phone so convincing, and now he gets the role of a lifetime. But for real though, looks great.

My big question, however: does this one have anything to do with the DCEU, or is it separate? What about Jared Leto's shit Joker? At this point DC is not making any sense. I guess they're just trying to retcon all the shit Zack Snyder brought to the table cause Warner Bros. finally realized he is a talentless, fifteen-year-old toolbag that needed to be put back on the shelf of a Lowe's hardware store.

Perhaps at this point the DCEU needs to pull a "Deadpool" and have Ryan Reynolds go to the past and murder the old Zack Snyder productions so they no longer exist, and maybe then the DC universe's boat will finally be leveled up and be substantial alongside the Marvel universe.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

Plot Twist - We find out at the end it takes place in Christopher Nolans universe, and totally didn't rip off Split.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

I'm basically just pretending this has nothing to do with the Bat-mythos and is just an entirely unrelated story. Having said that, it looks neat and most importantly, Joaquin is selling this very well. I was hesitant at first, but watching this multiple times already is getting me hyped. And they need to do this one well to win back good faith. Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, you could consider them damage control and even appetizers for a "good" DCEU.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

I don't know about the look of the Joker in the movie version, I definitely don't think Joaquin's Joker looks as immediately iconic like Ledgers, but I like that the movie is going for a more classically dramatic look in terms of the way it's shot, the lighting, etc. It's It's kind of hard to describe, but there's something appealing about it. Obviously looks aren't everything though, it could be the most beautiful movie in the world still have a bad script or bad acting.

I gave up on Got Ham long ago so it doesn't really matter what they do with the Joker at this point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

Plot Twist - We find out it's a sequel to King Of Comedy and Rupert Pupkin fucked him over and in fact was in the DC universe all along.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaydan
@uninspiredcup said:

Plot Twist - Plot twist- We find out it's a sequel to King Of Comedy and Rupert Pupkin fucked him over

Plot twist - plot twist - plot twist - M. Night Shyamalan is the uncredited director and this movie takes place in the Inception universe

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

@jaydan said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Plot Twist - Plot twist- We find out it's a sequel to King Of Comedy and Rupert Pupkin fucked him over

Plot twist - plot twist - plot twist - M. Night Shyamalan is the uncredited director and this movie takes place in the Inception universe

A dream inside a dream, controlled by grass.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaydan
@uninspiredcup said:
@jaydan said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A twist inside a twist inside a twist. This movie will be shaped like a pretzel and it can see dead people.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

As to the first one with Joaquin Phoenix

Someone should tell Phoenix that you either own the role as your own or you don´t play it at all, trying to do a Jack Nicholson/Heath Ledger psycho style joker is just bad and only makes it bad and painful to watch.

As to the second Gotham Joker, well it´s Gotham and he has owned the role since the start, so have nothing to say other than "meh" to that one.

There are only 2 people who have managed to portray The Joker with credibility and character, and those are Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger and only one who hit that role spot on and that is Jack Nicholson.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@jaydan said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jaydan said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A twist inside a twist inside a twist. This movie will be shaped like a pretzel and it can see dead people.

https://media4.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/09/10/967/n/1922398/ffa1d4e5_giphy.xxxlarge.gif

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jacanuk said:

Someone should tell Phoenix that you either own the role as your own or you don´t play it at all, trying to do a Jack Nicholson/Heath Ledger psycho style joker is just bad and only makes it bad and painful to watch.

As to the second Gotham Joker, well it´s Gotham and he has owned the role since the start, so have nothing to say other than "meh" to that one.

There are only 2 people who have managed to portray The Joker with credibility and character, and those are Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger and only one who hit that role spot on and that is Jack Nicholson.

Gonna have to disagree with this opinion. Cameron Monaghan and Mark Hamill played them better as far as I'm concerned. With Cameron Monaghan playing 3 differing incarnations. One somewhat loosely similar to Heath Ledger and another at quieter, more introvert joker, and the latests which seems inspired by the Arkham Asylum comic where he's less human-like. Whatever flaws the show has, it's certainly isn't him.

I'd say his second incarnation is probably my favourite live version.

Loading Video...

I found Jack Nicholson character more intimidating before he was the Joker, and then he becomes wacky uncle. Not to say he's bad, part of the fun (like Batman) is different interpretations. Like Doctor Who or James Bond these things have been going on for half a century (give or take), that if it was just the same or very similar shit over and over it would get boring. It's why I have no problem with the Joker having no hair and looking mutilated, and barely human. That's more interesting than what appears to be Heath Ledger Mark II.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm not even a Joaquin Phoenix fan and I need this pumped into my veins. Holy hell, that was a stunning trailer. Movie completely out of nowhere, nothing anyone even asked for, yet I feel like I need to see it on release day. I LOVE the Joker in most of his depictions, and love his conflict with Batman. This looks great.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

All it takes is one bad day...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

There's more to DC than Batman and the Joker.

I know they are both iconic and well-recognized, and that sells, but FFS there's been 20 DC live-action movies and Joker and Batman seem to be in 15 of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Seeing Joaquin Phoenix that skinny is really unsettling. That can't be healthy.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16873 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I know they are both iconic and well-recognized, and that sells, but FFS there's been 20 DC live-action movies and Joker and Batman seem to be in 15 of them.

It's because Warner Bros. know a movie with either of those characters will get people to buy tickets regardless of the quality--that's what it all boils down to. With that said, this movie looks...not bad.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaydan
@hallenbeck77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's because Warner Bros. know a movie with either of those characters will get people to buy tickets regardless of the quality--that's what it all boils down to. With that said, this movie looks...not bad.

Also keep in mind Joker as a character has transcended the generations and now has something of a "role of a lifetime" status. I think we are going to always have new takes on Batman and Joker that span different generations just the same way we have an obligatory Shakespeare adaption every generation or so.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@jaydan said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Also keep in mind Joker as a character has transcended the generations and now has something of a "role of a lifetime" status. I think we are going to always have new takes on Batman and Joker that span different generations just the same way we have an obligatory Shakespeare adaption every generation or so.

That's a fair point.

With that said, a lot of those Shakespeare adaptations are more akin to "inspired by Shakespeare" than outright Shakespeare. For example, the high school movie "10 Things I Hate About You" (hey, look, a Heath Ledger reference!) is based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew", and pretty much anyone except a Shakespeare fan wouldn't know that.

However, a Batman movie is literally just another telling of ones of Batman's stories, and the only real interpretation (i.e. someone doing their own thing with source material) is by Nolan, and even then A.) it's still Batman, and B.) it has not really stood the test of time.

There's not a lot of wiggle room there, is what I guess I am trying to say. So instead of having 20 different adaptations of Batman that are all essentially the same character, and 10 of them with the Joker, I would prefer to see 20 different

I mean....LOOK at all them!

Give me a Hawkgirl movie, where it shows all her different incarnations. Throw in Hawkman and you could even make it into an action-romance film to get that female demographic.

Black Panther did pretty well, so why not make Vixen into a movie. Double-win there with the black and female demographic. Plus Vixen is pretty damn awesome.

I'm just spitballing here, btw, they could pick literally anyone. And, on top of that, because they're going to be a lot lesser known than Batman, Joker, Superman, etc. they could take a lot more liberties. Instead of literally adapting Vixen to film, make her, idunno, a young African woman who has been cursed to be a werewolf, but she seeks out some old shaman who gives her an amulet that lets her control her shapeshifting. Boom! Horror film loosely based on the DC works of Vixen. I don't know...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19376 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Plot Twist - We find out at the end it takes place in Christopher Nolans universe, and totally didn't rip off Split.

Yeah, I'm getting Split vibes from this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Might be a good movie......won't know until I watch it.......but it really isn't the joker. Another joker sure. But not THE joker.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jaydan

@mrbojangles25: I understand where you're coming but there are two major differences behind the Joker and a Shakespeare adaption. Shakespeare is a re-adaptation of a play, and there is plenty of room for interpretation. Joss Whedon in recent years did a modern interpretation of Much Ado About Nothing. Shakespeare and his language left a lot to interpretation, and that's why his rhetoric can be applied in different ways. There is certainly one thing that never changes in a successful Shakespeare adaptation, and that is in the language. You don't change Shakespearean language to your own liking. No, it just does not work that way. So in a way you're kinda wrong about that. Shakespeare has its own rules that must be followed.

The big difference in both Shakespeare and a Batman-Joker adaption, is in its focus. A Joker adaption is not about the writing, it is about the CHARACTER. That's why Joker has become a "role of a lifetime" because instead of sticking with the writing it is about how an actor plays the role of the character. That is the biggest difference between the two. In my opinion Batman has always been a more vanilla character. He is merely there to service the real stars, which are the villains, and Joker is the ultimate villain. If actors are being cast in a new Batman movie, I'm pretty the one that gets cast as Joker feels the most lucky of all.

So while a new take on the character of Joker feels obligatory now with the generations that new actors come around just as much as it's obligatory to have a new take of a Shakespearean play, they have these statuses with completely different focus as to way they are this way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jacanuk
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jacanuk said:

Gonna have to disagree with this opinion. Cameron Monaghan and Mark Hamill played them better as far as I'm concerned. With Cameron Monaghan playing 3 differing incarnations. One somewhat loosely similar to Heath Ledger and another at quieter, more introvert joker, and the latests which seems inspired by the Arkham Asylum comic where he's less human-like. Whatever flaws the show has, it's certainly isn't him.

I'd say his second incarnation is probably my favourite live version.

I found Jack Nicholson character more intimidating before he was the Joker, and then he becomes wacky uncle. Not to say he's bad, part of the fun (like Batman) is different interpretations. Like Doctor Who or James Bond these things have been going on for half a century (give or take), that if it was just the same or very similar shit over and over it would get boring. It's why I have no problem with the Joker having no hair and looking mutilated, and barely human. That's more interesting than what appears to be Heath Ledger Mark II.

Mark Hamil was good as the voice of the Joker but he also hits on the same notes as Jack Nicholson does and where all these other jokers even Ledgers fail, The Joker from the comics is not an insane lunatic he is a socio/psychopath highly intelligent, zero empathy but like Bundy and Manson he is charismatic and can charm anyone and also act 100% normal in any situation.

As to Gotham, again you have someone who goes more towards someone who is strapped in a straitjacket more than someone who can function in society and that is just bad because the Joker is nothing like that.

Jack Nicholson has that ability, just watch the Shinning, no one could do that role better which is what he took with him to The Joker and how The Joker is.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk
@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait DC has more than Superman, Batman and The Joker?

news to me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By foxhound_fox

@XVision84 said:

It isn't, but here is someone else you might recognize doing the extreme diet for a role:

It's Christian Bale, in The Machinist

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25

@foxhound_fox said:
@XVision84 said:

It isn't, but here is someone else you might recognize doing the extreme diet for a role:

Great movie. I read about his diet. I think he ate an apple and a can of tuna each day, that's it.

That's like...200 calories. Literally starving.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Yup that was a good movie! I respect them for going through with that but yeesh it's hard to see on a screen yet alone in the mirror.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

@XVision84 said:

@foxhound_fox: Yup that was a good movie! I respect them for going through with that but yeesh it's hard to see on a screen yet alone in the mirror.

It's mind-boggling how quickly the body can change when you over-stress it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan
@foxhound_fox said:
@XVision84 said:

Christian Bale also got fat for no reason in American Hustle. His fatness literally added no weight to that film.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk
@jaydan said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@XVision84 said:

Christian Bale also got fat for no reason in American Hustle. His fatness literally added no weight to that film.

Maybe it didn´t add anything for you but it added a lot for Bale as it´s easier for him to be the character he is portraying, you know the same as Ledger did with the Joker and which has been praised so much and earned him an Oscar.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

Only saw the first trailer.

I honestly don't know. I don't have a good feeling about it... It's different. That can be a big hit or miss for me. There is no point trying to re-do what Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger did.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Heath Ledger will always be the best Joker anyone else looks likes a off brand and I can't buy into it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jaydan
@Jacanuk said:
@jaydan said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@XVision84 said:

Maybe it didn´t add anything for you but it added a lot for Bale as it´s easier for him to be the character he is portraying, you know the same as Ledger did with the Joker and which has been praised so much and earned him an Oscar.

Sorry, my pun went right over your head.

But regardless: I get it, Christian Bale is a method actor, and he's one that does body transformations to fit into a role. I get it. I respect his transformation in The Machinist. His transformation had significance.

Now I rest my case with my jab towards his fatness in the movie American Hustle. It's really me making fun of how insignificant his transformation was in that movie. I felt like this "transformation" was redundant as it served literally no purpose whatsoever to the film. There was only one brief sequence which we had Christian Bale lounging his fat ass down, and that was pretty much the blink of an eye. The rest of the movie he was wearing suits and bulkier clothing you couldn't even tell how much weight he put on.

I get it and I respect method acting, but there comes a point I must ask "why?" when there was no real purpose. They could have just as easily written him as his regular physique and his method acting would have not been disrupted, because he would have found ways to be in character anyways.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#36 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I think the Joaquin Phoenix trailer looks great. Heath Ledger had some big ideas for a Joker spin-off movie but sadly, we'll never see his vision.

On the other hand I've never cared for Gotham.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Can not wait for joker

AryannaLao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points