vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3064 Posts

John McAfee, the eccentric tech entrepreneur and founder of the antivirus software company, has died behind bars in a Spanish prison. He was 75.

McAfee was found dead on Wednesday afternoon in his cell in Brians 2 Prison in Barcelona, Spain, with officials saying that the early investigation points to a suicide.

CNBC reports the death comes just hours after a Spanish court approved McAfee’s extradition to the United States, where he is wanted on tax-related criminal charges that carry a prison sentence of up to 30 years. The Spanish newspaper El Mundo, citing the Catalan Justice Department, also reported that the prison’s medical professionals attempted to resuscitate him.

McAfee was arrested in October 2020, and accused of failing to file tax returns for four years, despite earning millions from consulting work, speaking engagements, crypto-currencies and selling the rights to his life story.

The US Justice Department alleged that McAfee evaded tax liability by having his income paid into bank accounts and cryptocurrency exchange accounts in the names of nominees.

He was also accused of concealing assets, including a yacht and real estate property, in the names of others.

https://www.complex.com/life/john-mcafee-found-dead-spanish-prison-cell?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

He was a pretty interesting dude to say the least. You can read his Wikipedia page to see the plethora of crazy sh*t he's done/suspected of doing.

He also made one of the greatest YouTube videos ever.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6235 Posts

He was a character to be sure! Suicide though? Who knows.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1987 Posts

RIP

I did not know he was a crazy character. Where have I been over the past 20 years :o

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vl4d_l3nin

@Solaryellow said:

He was a character to be sure! Suicide though? Who knows.

He made sure to mention at several points in recent years that he wasn't suicidal.

But he also said a lot of other things that were flat out lies. Like you said, who knows.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13896 Posts

That's crazy, dude should've played Sully in the Uncharted movie

RIP

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18104 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: "He also made one of the greatest YouTube videos ever."

lol

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13400 Posts

Dude was murdered. RIP

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 50537 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

John McAfee, the eccentric tech entrepreneur and founder of the antivirus software company, has died behind bars in a Spanish prison. He was 75.

McAfee was found dead on Wednesday afternoon in his cell in Brians 2 Prison in Barcelona, Spain, with officials saying that the early investigation points to a suicide.

CNBC reports the death comes just hours after a Spanish court approved McAfee’s extradition to the United States, where he is wanted on tax-related criminal charges that carry a prison sentence of up to 30 years. The Spanish newspaper El Mundo, citing the Catalan Justice Department, also reported that the prison’s medical professionals attempted to resuscitate him.

McAfee was arrested in October 2020, and accused of failing to file tax returns for four years, despite earning millions from consulting work, speaking engagements, crypto-currencies and selling the rights to his life story.

The US Justice Department alleged that McAfee evaded tax liability by having his income paid into bank accounts and cryptocurrency exchange accounts in the names of nominees.

He was also accused of concealing assets, including a yacht and real estate property, in the names of others.

https://www.complex.com/life/john-mcafee-found-dead-spanish-prison-cell?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

He was a pretty interesting dude to say the least. You can read his Wikipedia page to see the plethora of crazy sh*t he's done/suspected of doing.

He also made one of the greatest YouTube videos ever.

Loading Video...

lol is that really him? That's pretty good.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 47374 Posts

Given how many people get away with blatant tax evasion year-round, it's obvious someone didn't like him for unrelated reasons, and "tax evasion" was the excuse given and what exactly that was, or what kind of person he was, horrible or not, I have no idea. He obviously was afraid enough of the USA to take his own life in order to avoid going back, though.

@omegamaster said:

RIP

I did not know he was a crazy character. Where have I been over the past 20 years :o

The last time I read about John McAfee in the news... he was living in some jungle cooking meth or something but I didn't know he was in prison until I enter this thread.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20780 Posts

This man was an absolute legend.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 12451 Posts

The guy was verifiably nuts. Let the conspiracy nonsense commence.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 20471 Posts

That's a pretty hefty price to pay to save a few bucks.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 5661 Posts

@omegamaster said:

RIP

Not watching or listening to him. For those in the know, dude was off the reservation, as they say.

I found this out from an Esquire write-up yeeeears ago. Fascinating, but troubled guy. He probably was right about some stuff.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vl4d_l3nin

@HoolaHoopMan said:

The guy was verifiably nuts. Let the conspiracy nonsense commence.

Dude encouraged it.

BigPapaTofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BigPapaTofu
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

Very interesting thinking back on his history. Eh, he makes a damn good antivirus..