Jews goes berserk over King David statue

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -

So apparently in Judaism depictions of persons is FORBIDDEN in ANY form. What happens when you put up a statue of King David in the middle of Jerusalem? Of course the Jews goes mad and destroys parts of the statue!!! As you can see King Dave is missing his magnificent schnozzle!! Apperantly it doesn't count as a person anymore with out the honker. Crazy Jews!

6846444451_c68bdd7ddd_z.jpg

#2 Posted by norm41x (813 posts) -

At least we know what Voldemort looks like with long hair and facial hair.

#3 Posted by Jebus213 (10005 posts) -
are there large mobs storming embassies?
#4 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

They should put up a statue of Muhammad to draw attention away from it.

#5 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I am Jewish and I did not know this.....maybe only the Orthodox Jews have a problem with such stuff. But I don't like them much to begin with. We may be brothers of the same tribe, so we have to respect each other. But we certainly don't agree on much.

Nothing compared to the radical Muslims though, those guys are killing people.

#6 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -
are there large mobs storming embassies? Jebus213
Probably. It's hard to know since this place isn't really covered much in the news.
#7 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -
Are you Muslim? the creator of this thread?
#8 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -
Are you Muslim? the creator of this thread?seahorse123
Define 'are'
#9 Posted by MrPraline (21351 posts) -
good thing it's david and not a certain prophet
#10 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]are there large mobs storming embassies? themajormayor
Probably. It's hard to know since this place isn't really covered much in the news.

:lol:
#11 Posted by Perfect_Blue (29832 posts) -

bjbkoknrxu.gif.

#12 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -
[QUOTE="seahorse123"]Are you Muslim? the creator of this thread?themajormayor
Define 'are'

Well are you?
#13 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I am Jewish and I did not know this.....maybe only the Orthodox Jews have a problem with such stuff. But I don't like them much to begin with. We may be brothers of the same tribe, so we have to respect each other. But we certainly don't agree on much.

ShadowMoses900

How can you berate them for following the first commandment, which expressly forbids making graven images of anything in the heavens, on earth, and underneath the earth? They are following the commandments and you aren't.

#14 Posted by themajormayor (25500 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="seahorse123"]Are you Muslim? the creator of this thread?seahorse123
Define 'are'

Well are you?

no. why?
#15 Posted by seahorse123 (1237 posts) -
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="seahorse123"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Define 'are'

Well are you?

no. why?

Never mind.....
#16 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

BluRayHiDef

How can you berate them for following the first commandment, which expressly forbids making graven images of anything in the heavens, on earth, and underneath the earth? They are following the commandments and you aren't.

That's the second commandment.

#17 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

Silly Jews, only inferior cultures practice iconoclasm.

[spoiler] sarcasm, no anti-semitism [/spoiler]

Christians practiced iconoclasm at one point as well, btw.

#18 Posted by kingkong0124 (8329 posts) -

ok

#19 Posted by Philokalia (2910 posts) -

Some Jews haven't read the torah it seems. Iconoclasts are like that.

#20 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

My king has no nose!

Then how does he smell?

Awful.

#21 Posted by Philokalia (2910 posts) -

theone86

Only during a specific reign of some specific emperors and during the protestant reformation. Most Christians are Iconodules.

#22 Posted by juden41 (4447 posts) -
Ruining a work of art is not ok in my book.
#23 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -
Thought those sharp toothed fishies were extinct.
#24 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Philokalia

Only during a specific reign of some specific emperors and during the protestant reformation. Most Christians are Iconodules.

And the iconoclast imperative in Islam is dubious as well. It's nowhere in the Koran, it's in supplemental texts whose relevance are called into diffferent degrees of question. The only reason it gets so much attention is because a few traditionalist figures in positions of authority within Islam decided to push iconoclasm as a pertinent issue, just like a few traditionalist figures in positions of authority pushed it for Christianity. Whether it's Christian, Judeo, or Islamic iconoclasm it's all dogma meant to solidify an agenda, but each religion has perpetuated such dogmas to varying degrees.

#25 Posted by pie-junior (2866 posts) -
Tell your girlfriend to stop using your account, TMM :3
#26 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

Ruining a work of art is not ok in my book.juden41

Not as bad as doing this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_de_landa

#27 Posted by Philokalia (2910 posts) -

And the iconoclast imperative in Islam is dubious as well. It's nowhere in the Koran, it's in supplemental texts whose relevance are called into diffferent degrees of question. The only reason it gets so much attention is because a few traditionalist figures in positions of authority within Islam decided to push iconoclasm as a pertinent issue, just like a few traditionalist figures in positions of authority pushed it for Christianity. Whether it's Christian, Judeo, or Islamic iconoclasm it's all dogma meant to solidify an agenda, but each religion has perpetuated such dogmas to varying degrees.

theone86

The traditional Christian viewpoint is actually that of the iconodules. The Iconoclasts in the ancient church had control and power for a short time when compared to the iconodules after Nicea 2. Only then during the reformation did iconoclasm spark again with private readings of scripture. They should have read more John Damascus.

#28 Posted by theone86 (20689 posts) -

[QUOTE="theone86"]

Philokalia

The traditional Christian viewpoint is actually that of the iconodules. The Iconoclasts in the ancient church had control and power for a short time when compared to the iconodules after Nicea 2. Only then during the reformation did iconoclasm spark again with private readings of scripture. They should have read more John Damascus.

It's no different for Judaism or Islam.

#29 Posted by sonicare (55326 posts) -

Too many thin skinned people out there.

#30 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

Too many thin skinned people out there.

sonicare
That's not racist. but it could be. :k
#31 Posted by Philokalia (2910 posts) -

It's no different for Judaism or Islam.

theone86

I agree the iconoclasts were just as Iconoclastic and savage as the muslims and some jews.

#32 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

BluRayHiDef

It is only forbidden to make an image or idol of God. It says nothing about doing it of Israelite kings like King David (which btw that statue is probably did not look anything like him. He was not European).

But even if someone did (and people do it all the time) I would not care because they are allowed freedom of speech to show what they want. We have to be tolerant to others. And God forbids murdering people, even in the case of images or idols, so they are not following what God wants.

#33 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Always a shame to see something that someone had to work so hard to make ruined for such petty reasons.
#34 Posted by juden41 (4447 posts) -
Always a shame to see something that someone had to work so hard to make ruined for such petty reasons.Ace6301
Agreed.
#35 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

who in the world put a statue of King David in the middle of Jerusalem?

I personally do not mind the statue being there , but its asking for trouble.

its actually very similar to what happened to that cremetorium a few years ago.

#36 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

It is only forbidden to make an image or idol of God. It says nothing about doing it of Israelite kings like King David (which btw that statue is probably did not look anything like him. He was not European).

But even if someone did (and people do it all the time) I would not care because they are allowed freedom of speech to show what they want. We have to be tolerant to others. And God forbids murdering people, even in the case of images or idols, so they are not following what God wants.

not quite, its considerd wrong to make idols or personification in sculpture. its drawing it in a book thats considerd more acceptable (a quick look at the Haggadah will show that)
#37 Posted by Blue-Sky (10379 posts) -

bjbkoknrxu.gif.

Aljosa23

My thoughts exactly.

#38 Posted by SaudiFury (8709 posts) -

Darkman2007

lol what?...

#39 Posted by BatCrazedJoker (1611 posts) -
Those crazy Jews.:|
#40 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

SaudiFury

lol what?...

yes, essentially there was a crematorium operating in a Moshav calld Chibat Tzion , that was sort of hidden (apparently alot of people living there didn't know what it was, though a holocaust survivor recognised the smell). eventually the address was discovered by a religious newspaper, and very soon after the place was (ironically) torched. pretty much everyone knew who did it (probably members of Zaka) , but no one was actually arrested over it, since alot of people did not like this. Jewish religous law forbids cremation , and the Holocaust kinda made cremation a taboo for atheists and such too. though I will say that while most people wouldn't have approved of the place, they wouldn't have attacked it either.
#41 Posted by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

For those of you who have no idea what is being debated here regarding the use of images, here is a link to an old abandoned blog post featuring a paper I wrote a few years ago about the history and theology of images from a Protestant perspective.

Also of relevance:

Coffee

#42 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

For those of you who have no idea what is being debated here regarding the use of images, here is a link to an old abandoned blog post featuring a paper I wrote a few years ago about the history and theology of images from a Protestant perspective.

Also of relevance:

Coffee

mindstorm

That link just leads back to this page and that comic is missing a punch line.

#43 Posted by Serraph105 (31645 posts) -

......that's it?

#44 Posted by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Also of relevance:

Coffee

toast_burner

I think I fixed the link. As for the punch line, it's more or less assumed that the reader can figure it out based upon recent events regarding comics featuring prophets of other religions.
#45 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Also of relevance:

Coffee

mindstorm

I think I fixed the link. As for the punch line, it's more or less assumed that the reader can figure it out based upon recent events regarding comics featuring prophets of other religions.

I understand that it's about how you can show pictures of Jesus and nobody cares but if you have a picture of Muhammadeverybody gets pissed of. But they should have had Jesus injecting some smack or off his head on coke, comedy is supposed to be exaggerated.

#46 Posted by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

I understand that it's about how you can show pictures of Jesus and nobody cares but if you have a picture of Muhammadeverybody gets pissed of. But they should have had Jesus injecting some smack or off his head on coke, comedy is supposed to be exaggerated.

It is not necessary that comedy be exaggerated in that manner however.
#47 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I think I fixed the link. As for the punch line, it's more or less assumed that the reader can figure it out based upon recent events regarding comics featuring prophets of other religions.mindstorm

Well I'm not seeing how it's funny.

#48 Posted by Overlord93 (12602 posts) -
How many people did they kill again? Oh yeah right...
#49 Posted by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

Well I'm not seeing how it's funny.

We differ in our preferred type of humor? I personally am a dry wit kind of guy who is always joking and laughing when everyone thinks I'm serious. I like subtlety.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
#50 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

We differ in our preferred type of humor? I personally am a dry wit kind of guy who is always joking and laughing when everyone thinks I'm serious.

mindstorm

Sure you are.

I like subtlety. mindstorm

Is that what it's called?