Jesus the Messiah, part God.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

It is what happned. You blatantly just dismissed the definitions, that they made no sense to you, that they were nonsense. And do you have a job and a life RA? I imagine you do. I hope you don't spend all day on off topic, as I know these discussions can ontinue literally forever until the moderator closes the topic so I tend to limit myself to the time I spend on off topic. Whether you believe me or not I don't care.

Now RA, can you comprehend the idea of a mind? That is a mind seperate from the body? From physicality? Remember you don't have to accept this as existing, only comprhend it. I can comprehend the naturalist idea that the mind really doesn't exist, but that it is only a figment we have made for ourselves, that the mind essentially is our brain and the like. And I have been precise in my terms, you simply didn't understand them because I think you will not allow for an idea you do not agree with to make sense. So lets start from the milk and work up to the meat shall we? Can you at least comprehend a mind seperate from the body? IF you cannot then we will never agree and its no wonder you consider the trinity illogical because you have that premise in mind. Although I would note, that this doesn't show in of itself the tirnity is illogical, only that you think a mind must be limited to the human experience.

And you are the one who claimed the tirnity as illogical, so demonstrate it as illogical. I have yet to see a comprehensive case that the trinity makes no snese. Especially when those who say it cannot even understand the words and types behind it.

Philokalia

No I didn't dismiss them - I questioned them. I found issue with them. I tried to find logical coherence with them, then you started talking about the mystery being a logical proposition. I don't need to work Phil - I don't know why you'd ask. You only need look at my post history to see I don't post here as much as you do.

It's not a question of me believeing you and you obviously do care, since you keep trying to enforce your correctness and other peoples' lack of understanding, despite being completely unable to explain the trinity in real terms.

I understand the conceptual idea of a seperate mind from the body, but I do believe in a more naturalistic and rational explanation for conciousness. I fail to see how only that idea alone would make the trinity illogical though. The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all. I can't really understand how you think ithe idea would be logical in any way. You even said last time we spoke that it was a mystery. You may as well say that God has four parts, because of the previous nature of Yahweh in the OT.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

I feel like this is going to be an exercise in futility because of your constant inability to actually critically engage your own beliefs, but it's really not that complicated to outline.

Have X equal God the father. God the father is an immaterial entity that exists outside of the universe (whatever that might be). Y is Jesus of Nazareth, a 30 year old Jewish carpenter who traveled around Judea 2000 years ago. And Z is the holy spirit, some other immaterial entity that is ontologically distinct from God the father.

This all breaks down once you claim that X=Y=Z, because they clearly don't equal each other, no matter how much theological BS you smear over it. God cannot be both this formless supernatural being yet simultaneously be a 30 year old Jew in Jerusalem 2000 years ago, oh and by the way he's his own father. That's in clear violation with the law of identity.

Philokalia

See you actually strawmanned the trinity. Jesus did not begin to exist. He became incarnate within time. Thus your entire idea is faulty. The persons have existed together from all eternity.And I agree, X Y and Z are not each other, they are their own persons. This is the point in the first place. We Christians are not modalists. We do nto believe the father to be the son to be the spirit and vice versa. So your so called proof of algebra against the trinity is nothing more than actually clarifiying the trinity, the distinction between the persons involved. That and you don't understand the incarnation, Jesus did not begin to exist and only existed for thirty years. This seems like placing your own naturalism onto the theology involved to make it illogical. And granted if your naturalism is true then the trinity doesn't exist. So yuo don't like all others here even understand the difference between the trinity and modalism.

It's rich that you preface your post by accusing me of strawmanning the trinity, and then go on some tangent knocking down a strawman of my argument.

The theological minutiae of Jesus is unimportant to this discussion. It doesn't make a difference at all that Jesus "became incarnate within time" rather than "begun to exist." I'll grant you whatever you want about the origin (or lack thereof) of Jesus for the sake of this discussion. And no, what I described is not modalism. Modalism is actually a coherent reconciliation of Jesus, God the father, and the holy spirit. Trinitarianism is not. Yes, you believe that X, Y, and Z are all distinct identities, and if you stopped there then we wouldn't be having this conversation. But you don't stop there, because Christianity claims to be a monotheistic religion, so not only do X, Y, and Z not equal each other, and represent distinct entities, but X, Y, and Z also at the same time do equal each other, and are 1 single identity.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts
[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

if you had any logic, reasoning, critical thinking, evidence, and none of it required blind faith, I wouldn't dismiss it. Funny how you use terms incorrectly in a last ditch effort to save your already terrible arguments

MAZ85

Since when was my faith blind? Since when Have I lacked a reason? Since when have you demonstrated that the trinity is illogical or flawed?

I can't believe in trinity , just like a country can have only one president , this world can only have one god , this has been made clear in the quran :"Had there been within the heavens and earth gods besides Allah , they both would have been ruined. So exalted is Allah , Lord of the Throne, above what they describe." quran 20:22

Nope. Jesus is called Alpha and Omega, to claim that this isn't true is to somehow say that the writers of the NT were intentionally over exaggerating his divinity which would make a mockery of God.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

You know, I have a question for Christians, and I don't mean to offend, it is a serious question and it comes from a Jewish point of view. Now I have read The Bible, both the KJV and the NIV, and I find many aspects of Jesus to be a bit confusing.

1) The trinity makes no sense to me, how can you have 3 gods? Or 3 parts of one god? To me this seems totally pagan, there is only one God with no image or idol. Not 3 parts or 3 aspects. The word trinity doesn't even appear in the bible, so where are people getting this from?

2) The idea that man can become God, or is God, is a pagan concept to Jews. Man is flawed, he cannot become god ever. Also to worship a man is to go against the law of false idols, and the concept of no man made image of God. Christians are going against these very concepts.

3) Sin, there is no origional sin ever mentioned in the bible. Such a concept is also flawed, some Christians believe that all men are born with sin or commited sin, and we deserve hell. They claim Jesus died for our sins and that only through acceptance that is the only way to go to heaven. This concept goes against God's law completely, for one God does not use human sacrifices, and there is no such thing as origional sin either, it is never mentioned once in the bible. And according to this view, all the Jews that died in the Shoah (Holocaust) are in hell (another concept that is not in the origional texts) and people like Hitler are in heaven becauase they were technically Christians. This is a very backwards, and quite frankly offensive, concept to me. It does not make God out to be loving or merficul.

4) God said his covenant with the Children of Israel is eternal. It is everlasting. So for Christians to deny this is like them calling God a liar, God does not lie. Many of the prophecies Jesus did not meet, he did a few things like come into Jerusalem on a Donkey. But he did not rebuild the temple, drive out the Romans or bring peace to the world and show all children the one true God. There was no resurrection of men either.

I respect Christians and I think Jesus had some great teachings and wisdom. But I don't think he was the messiah. So if Christians can clear up some of my confusions so I can better understand their views I will appreciate it. Thanks!

ShadowMoses900

1 That you have to make the trinity three gods instead of what it really is indicates you are less than sincere in asking the question. Three gods automatically pulls into mind the image of traditional polytheism which the trinity is not. Because we see within the three persons of the trinity them sharing the same divine substance, not being totally individual from each other in terms of their substance unlike the traditional polytheisms we all know. There is no wonder you would call it pagan because you are understanding the trinity on the basis of paganism and not the trinity itself which you will find does not have pagan counterpart. This is why Christians are struck to hear this claim, and why educated Christians dont take it very seriously.

Second, that a word doesnt appear in the bible does not mark the end of discussion in interpreting biblical ideas. Many ideas and concepts you would accept are not found in the bible, consider the most ironic one, that of a bible itself. A collection (I assume you believe in the 66 book canon of Protestantism) is to be nowhere found and specifically define within the books of the old or new testament itself. We understand from history, it was the church which gathered these books and collected them into one volume we know as the bible today, and that the early church had more books than this and that those churches which are most ancient have more books than the protestants who took out books of the bible. The point with this illustration is to say that not all concepts must be clearly defined within the bible itself in order for it to be true. Because we see within books of the bible that there were authoritative works, illustrated within the New testament and how it quotes the old testament constantly to support what is being said, though not all books of the old testament are quoted.

2- The incarnation, first of all you have completely misrepresented the very idea of it in the first place. We are told in the scripture the word which was God became flesh, not the man that was flesh became God. Again this is another proof that you are less than charitable when it comes to understanding the Christian position. And if I may go on a tangent I will say something, that before criticising any idea, we must take strides and efforts to first of all comprehend it as the person who believes in it understand its. We must be charitable. We must be charitable in trying to understand the Islamic concept of tauwhid before criticising it. In the same way we must be charitable towards the trinity before criticising it, this was the mistake of many in the past who did not understand it but nonetheless criticised it. So with that we actually have to present what the incarnation is and this I believe was best said by the apostle Paul and the saints.

Phillipians 2:6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a man. 8He humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the cross. 9For which cause, God also has exalted him and has given him a name which is above all names: 10That in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: 11And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.

Iraneaus, against the heretic, book five preface : For it is thus that you will both controvert them in a legitimate manner, and will be prepared to receive the proofs brought forward against them, casting away their doctrines as filth by means of the celestial faith; but following the only true and steadfast Teacher, the Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, who did, through His transcendent love, become what we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself.

Athanasius of Alexandria : The Word was made flesh in order that we might be made gods. . . . Just as the Lord, putting on the body, became a man, so also we men are both deified through his flesh, and henceforth inherit everlasting life."[13] Athanasius also observed:"He became man that men might be made gods.

That is Jesus Christ was not a finite man who became divine, but the divine that became man, by taking on the very nature of man himself without contorting or it co mingling with his divine nature. Thus your criticisms are inherently flawed from the first premise of your question. Jesus as God the incarnate man can be worshipped and was worshipped by his apostles. But interesting you bring up in your criticsm that Christ is himself if he is God would be the very image of God on earth. This is a great proof for the deity of Christ, and is a great thing.It should not be understood by any means that Christs physical body is the actual true substance of divinity itself, but what it shows is what the saints taught, that Jesus being the image of the invisible God, God on earth to us has shown God truly present with the affairs of the creatures he loves, to the point of dying on the cross.

3. That in the scripture mankind has inherited the nature of adam, of our progenitor, a flawed nature, original sin is made present and clear. That saint Paul speaks that by one man death entered into the world and by one man Christ life entered into the world we see the concept even if the words arent used. Something you are still hung up about it seems. I agree that western notions of original sin, that the guilt of adam is on all creation is very much flawed, we inherited the nature of Adam, not his sin. We are responsible for our own sins.

4. Gods covenant with Israel is everlasting. But who is isreal? Is it the jews who rejected Christ their messiah? No, true Israel was with the apostles that accepted the messiah and thus God remained loyal to them who continued to obey and listen to him. And that gentiles were grafted into Israel by faith, no longer by circumcision. This pervades through the very book of romans itself, that the true branch is the branch of faith which has accepted Christ as Lord. So Israel was never forsaken, Israel persists to this day, in the church of Christ. As for the prophecies Christ did not meet, here we come to the resurrection, through which all the laws of the old testament are fulfilled. That is when Christ rose from the dead the third day with the body glorified as shown in Daniel 12, this is the vindication of Christ to the world that we might know salvation, that death does not reign anymore and has been conquered and trampled over, that God would not raise a false prophet in such a way.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 champion837

You know, I have a question for Christians, and I don't mean to offend, it is a serious question and it comes from a Jewish point of view. Now I have read The Bible, both the KJV and the NIV, and I find many aspects of Jesus to be a bit confusing.

1) The trinity makes no sense to me, how can you have 3 gods? Or 3 parts of one god? To me this seems totally pagan, there is only one God with no image or idol. Not 3 parts or 3 aspects. The word trinity doesn't even appear in the bible, so where are people getting this from?

2) The idea that man can become God, or is God, is a pagan concept to Jews. Man is flawed, he cannot become god ever. Also to worship a man is to go against the law of false idols, and the concept of no man made image of God. Christians are going against these very concepts.

3) Sin, there is no origional sin ever mentioned in the bible. Such a concept is also flawed, some Christians believe that all men are born with sin or commited sin, and we deserve hell. They claim Jesus died for our sins and that only through acceptance that is the only way to go to heaven. This concept goes against God's law completely, for one God does not use human sacrifices, and there is no such thing as origional sin either, it is never mentioned once in the bible. And according to this view, all the Jews that died in the Shoah (Holocaust) are in hell (another concept that is not in the origional texts) and people like Hitler are in heaven becauase they were technically Christians. This is a very backwards, and quite frankly offensive, concept to me. It does not make God out to be loving or merficul.

4) God said his covenant with the Children of Israel is eternal. It is everlasting. So for Christians to deny this is like them calling God a liar, God does not lie. Many of the prophecies Jesus did not meet, he did a few things like come into Jerusalem on a Donkey. But he did not rebuild the temple, drive out the Romans or bring peace to the world and show all children the one true God. There was no resurrection of men either.

I respect Christians and I think Jesus had some great teachings and wisdom. But I don't think he was the messiah. So if Christians can clear up some of my confusions so I can better understand their views I will appreciate it. Thanks!

ShadowMoses900

"The trinity makes no sense to me, how can you have 3 gods? Or 3 parts of one god? "

God has the abilities to do things that we can't do. Just like all of the miracles in the Bible, God was simply able to do that.

"The word trinity doesn't even appear in the bible, so where are people getting this from?"

It is to explain what was said about all three that is in the Bible. To explain what the Book of John, revelations, and what Jesus said about himself when talking about how he and the father are one etc.

"The idea that man can become God, or is God, is a pagan concept to Jews. Man is flawed, he cannot become god ever. Also to worship a man is to go against the law of false idols, and the concept of no man made image of God. Christians are going against these very concepts."

Jesus isn't a man like us, so I don't know how that would apply.

"according to this view, all the Jews that died in the Shoah (Holocaust) are in hell"

The Bible never once states that all non believers will go to hell.

"people like Hitler are in heaven becauase they were technically Christians. "

The Bible never states that every person who believes in Christ will go to heaven.

"Many of the prophecies Jesus did not meet"

Every prophecy was not meant to be fulfilled all at once.

"God said his covenant with the Children of Israel is eternal. It is everlasting. So for Christians to deny this is like them calling God a liar, God does not lie. "

God did not break his covenant with Israel. The NT never states that.

The concept of Jesus being God is something that is very clear in the Bible. Jesus was of course a human being, but he was also a being unlike any of us. You say it's impossible, but for a human being of course, but what makes you think that God wasn't able to do something like that? He is God, nothing for him is impossible.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Philokalia

No I didn't dismiss them - I questioned them. I found issue with them. I tried to find logical coherence with them, then you started talking about the mystery being a logical proposition. I don't need to work Phil - I don't know why you'd ask. You only need look at my post history to see I don't post here as much as you do.

It's not a question of me believeing you and you obviously do care, since you keep trying to enforce your correctness and other peoples' lack of understanding, despite being completely unable to explain the trinity in real terms.

I understand the conceptual idea of a seperate mind from the body, but I do believe in a more naturalistic and rational explanation for conciousness. I fail to see how only that idea alone would make the trinity illogical though. The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all. I can't really understand how you think ithe idea would be logical in any way. You even said last time we spoke that it was a mystery. You may as well say that God has four parts, because of the previous nature of Yahweh in the OT.

RationalAtheist

Ah, so there we see the problem. it is not thought of that God has parts, like you or i. God is the most simple of all beings, as is neccessaited of a being is not physical. God is composed of only one substance and this is why I spoke as to the mystery of the trinity. That is how can the most simple bieng, comprise of three persons yet remain one at the same time? I suggest this is essentially the totally unable question to answer, as God is beyond any conception we might have at that point in terms of how his divine substance works. But I have defined the trinity as to persons and substance. We must understand these words first before we even talk about the trintiy. So no, God does not have parts, he is not complex at all in his substance.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Philokalia

It's rich that you preface your post by accusing me of strawmanning the trinity, and then go on some tangent knocking down a strawman of my argument.

The theological minutiae of Jesus is unimportant to this discussion. It doesn't make a difference at all that Jesus "became incarnate within time" rather than "begun to exist." I'll grant you whatever you want about the origin (or lack thereof) of Jesus for the sake of this discussion. And no, what I described is not modalism. Modalism is actually a coherent reconciliation of Jesus, God the father, and the holy spirit. Trinitarianism is not. Yes, you believe that X, Y, and Z are all distinct identities, and if you stopped there then we wouldn't be having this conversation. But you don't stop there, because Christianity claims to be a monotheistic religion, so not only do X, Y, and Z not equal each other, and represent distinct entities, but X, Y, and Z also at the same time do equal each other, and are 1 single identity.

-Sun_Tzu-

You stated falsehood after falsehood Sun.

- You stated the idea that the father is the son is illogical, which I agree, and it is false to say this is the trinity.

- You stated or at least implied that the son came into existence, this is not the Christian viewpoint.

And no modalism is not coherrent, at least when see the scripture play out. Consider that Jesus and his baptism. Jesus as man gets praised by God the father. Do you know what would be involved here? the son would have had ot shift back to being the father to praise himself as the son then shift into the spirit while at the same time being the son so that spriti descends upon him. No modalism, at least when the bible is taken into consideration does not make sense. Perhaps in its own theology devoid of the bible it may make sense, but not within the biblical framework. Which is what modalism claims to work within mind you. And if you did not describe modalism, you described patripassionism, that hte son is the father which again is not the trinity. And you are mistating the position of the trinity again

X Y and Z are not equal to each other, they have the same substance, lets say Q. X is Q, Y is Q, Z is Q, but X=/=Y=/=Z.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 RationalAtheist

Ah, so there we see the problem. it is not thought of that God has parts, like you or i. God is the most simple of all beings, as is neccessaited of a being is not physical. God is composed of only one substance and this is why I spoke as to the mystery of the trinity. That is how can the most simple bieng, comprise of three persons yet remain one at the same time? I suggest this is essentially the totally unable question to answer, as God is beyond any conception we might have at that point in terms of how his divine substance works. But I have defined the trinity as to persons and substance. We must understand these words first before we even talk about the trintiy. So no, God does not have parts, he is not complex at all in his substance.

Philokalia

We? How many of you are there?

God being beyond any conception is not a logical proposition. You say God only has one substance, but then say no-one can conceive of the simple nature of God. That is a contradiction.

You have not defined the trinity in terms of persons and substances. You use words and associate your own vague and mysterious terms for them, that contradict and deny any real meaning. You say this while admitting that nobody can know how this divinity works - only that it does.

In declaring a trinity, you surely agree to someseparation between God, Jesus and the Holy spirit. These would be different, distinct parts of God. This is another contradiction.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 RationalAtheist

X is Q, Y is Q, Z is Q, but X=/=Y=/=Z.

Philokalia

If X=Q and Y=Q and Z=Q, then X=Y=Z=Q must follow!

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

Philokalia

I've been trying to keep up with this thread but your posts are awful. You basically say that others don't understand and then you try and explain in a way that is vague, and hardly legible, do you make all these spelling and grammar mistakes on purpose? You keep saying we have to understand persons and substance yet you don't clearly define them.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Philokalia

RationalAtheist

No that does not follow.

Lets posit this.

A is an apple.

R is the colour red.

T is my fullmetal alchemist red tin.

A = R

T = R

Does therefore A = T?

Clearly it doesn't.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Philokalia

I've been trying to keep up with this thread but your posts are awful. You basically say that others don't understand and then you try and explain in a way that is vague, and hardly legible, do you make all these spelling and grammar mistakes on purpose? You keep saying we have to understand persons and substance yet you don't clearly define them.

Jolt_counter119

What don't you understand about the concepts of personhood and substance? Tell me. Before we can even talk about trinity you have to understand these words and every time no one understands them, out of what I am convinced is an effort to remain willfully ignorant. And I have talked to non Christians who do understand the trinity because they understand the basic framework of ideas behind it.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 champion837
The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all.RationalAtheist
It makes plenty of sense when you consider that he is God. God, a being who is the creator of the universe. Why would a being of his stature not be able to do this?
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 RationalAtheist

Philokalia

No that does not follow.

Lets posit this.

A is an apple.

R is the colour red.

A = R

T = R

Does therefore A = T?

Clearly it doesn't.

It would not follow that your apple is only red. It might have the attribute red, but it would not equal the attribute.

The great thing about mathematics is that mathematical logic is incontrovertible.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 RationalAtheist

What don't understand about the concepts of personhood and substance? Tell me. Before we can even talk about trinity you have to understand these words and every time no understands them out of what I am convinced is an effort to remain willfully ignorant. And I have talked to non Christians who do understand the trinity because they understand the basic framework of ideas behind it.

Philokalia

I understand the trinity, but only as an illogical concept. Perhaps those other non-religious people were only endulging you.

What is the difference between a person and a personhood?

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Philokalia

We? How many of you are there?

God being beyond any conception is not a logical proposition. You say God only has one substance, but then say no-one can conceive of the simple nature of God. That is a contradiction.

You have not defined the trinity in terms of persons and substances. You use words and associate your own vague and mysterious terms for them, that contradict and deny any real meaning. You say this while admitting that nobody can know how this divinity works - only that it does.

In declaring a trinity, you surely agree to someseparation between God, Jesus and the Holy spirit. These would be different, distinct parts of God. This is another contradiction.

RationalAtheist

God going beyond conception neccessarily follows, although the word conception might be misleading, so comprehension I think is better in this context. And theres only one of me. And I have not defined until I am convinced people actually understand these concepts of personhood and substance. These aren't mysterious. You admitted to what a person is, a mind without physicality right? Now can you conceive of substance merely being the thing or that which composes that thing? And yes, there is distinction between the father and hte son and the spirit. But they are not parts, they share equally the whole. Now of course if they were physical this could not possibly happen, but when we consider the eternal, unrealised nature of what we are talking about, it suddenly becomes less obvious of how contradictory it really is.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 RationalAtheist

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all.champion837
It makes plenty of sense when you consider that he is God. God, a being who is the creator of the universe. Why would a being of his stature not be able to do this?

Why be only three seperate parts? Why not more? Why wait 6 billion years to split into one person who got tortured and killed to teach some people a lesson? Why wouldn't a universal creator think of something more elegant?

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Philokalia

It would not follow that your apple is only red. It might have the attribute red, but it would not equal the attribute.

The great thing about mathematics is that mathematical logic is incontrovertible.

RationalAtheist

You realise though it doesn't support you right? That this does then allow for there to be seperate persons within the Godhead?

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Philokalia

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all.RationalAtheist

Why be only three seperate parts? Why not more? Why wait 6 billion years to split into one person who got tortured and killed to teach some people a lesson? Why wouldn't a universal creator think of something more elegant?

Again, he doesn't have parts. the essence of God is single, it is simple. God is not composed of parts like us. See you are bringing in naturalistic terms into this conversation about an entity which is not physical.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 champion837

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]The idea of one God having three seperate parts makes no sense at all.RationalAtheist

"Elegant"? That is your opinion. Things happen the way that God wants them to happen.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Philokalia

I understand the trinity, but only as an illogical concept. Perhaps those other non-religious people were only endulging you.

RationalAtheist

Im not sure about the question, because the two are ultimately related to on aother. But you understand what a person is right? Now lets define this again shall we and you need to demonstrate the illogic behind it. It won't cut to simply say these are not well defined. You know what a person is. You know what substance is now. Now we take the same simple substance shared between three persons. This is the trinity. Demonstrate the illogic behind it.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 RationalAtheist

God going beyond conception neccessarily follows, although the word conception might be misleading, so comprehension I think is better in this context. And theres only one of me. And I have not defined until I am convinced people actually understand these concepts of personhood and substance. These aren't mysterious. You admitted to what a person is, a mind without physicality right? Now can you conceive of substance merely being the thing or that which composes that thing? And yes, there is distinction between the father and hte son and the spirit. But they are not parts, they share equally the whole. Now of course if they were physical this could not possibly happen, but when we consider the eternal, unrealised nature of what we are talking about, it suddenly becomes less obvious of how contradictory it really is.

Philokalia

I have admitted nothing. I said I could entertain the concept, although I prefer a more natutralistic explanation for conciousness.

If you can't comprehend something, then doesn't that make it a mystery to you?

What is the distinction between God, Jesus and the holy spirit, if they are not parts of the same thing? How can they all share equally the whole, when one is said to be a purely physical manifestation of the other?

What does "less obvious of how contradictory" mean? The concept of the trinity remains entirely contradictory. You start talking about "eternal unreaslised natures" - what does that mean and how does it make any sense of the trinity as a reational concept?

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 RationalAtheist

Philokalia

You realise though it doesn't support you right? That this does then allow for there to be seperate persons within the Godhead?

What? You tried to form a mathematical construct relating to the trinity that didn't make sense mathematically. There is no justification for persons and Godheads in algebra - however you choose to define them!

MAZ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 MAZ85
Member since 2007 • 1094 Posts

ShadowMoses900
as a muslim i think i agree on a z and 3 ; 4 is different to us
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 RationalAtheist

[QUOTE="champion837"] It makes plenty of sense when you consider that he is God. God, a being who is the creator of the universe. Why would a being of his stature not be able to do this?Philokalia

Again, he doesn't have parts. the essence of God is single, it is simple. God is not composed of parts like us. See you are bringing in naturalistic terms into this conversation about an entity which is not physical.

Well, Champoin837 thinks they do. You're both Christians, right? Shouldn't you be agreeing with each other about this "simple" trinity concept?

How would you know what God is composed of, if you say Gods nature is unknowable?

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Philokalia

I have admitted nothing. I said I could entertain the concept, although I prefer a more natutralistic explanation for conciousness.

If you can't comprehend something, then doesn't that make it a mystery to you?

What is the distinction between God, Jesus and the holy spirit, if they are not parts of the same thing? How can they all share equally the whole, when one is said to be a purely physical manifestation of the other?

What does "less obvious of how contradictory" mean? The concept of the trinity remains entirely contradictory. You start talking about "eternal unreaslised natures" - what does that mean and how does it make any sense of the trinity as a reational concept?

RationalAtheist

We cannot comprehend eternity, but it must neccesarily exist. Because non existence cannot bring something into existence, thus something has always existed. Hopefully you accept this. The distinction is in their persons Rational, is that they are not each other's person they are distinct in that regaurd. Now you have the mistaken notion that hte son is purely physical. This is not the Christian position. The Christian position si teh hypostatic union, that Chirst alone possesses two natures, humanity and divinity, niehter conflicting with the other.

When we take into consideration that this substance of divinity is quite simply Beyond all comprehension then its more difficult to say this is a contradiction. A genuine contradiction that is there may something about the transcendant that we cannot know about or comprehend about within this world of ourse. So the trinity does make sense as a rational concept RA, there is only one thing that you might question about and I am not convinced that you will decively be able to prove it is utterly impossible without relying on a naturalism which would force God into our existence.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 champion837

The concept of the trinity remains entirely contradictory. RationalAtheist

The concept of Trinity is not bound by the limits of us as humans, the concept is based on the Holy nature of three beings. Christians understand it because it is in God's nature to do these things. I don't know how he did it God just like I don't know how he created the universe or us, but it is in his nature and is something that he is capable of doing.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 RationalAtheist

Philokalia

Im not sure about the question, because the two are ultimately related to on aother. But you understand what a person is right? Now lets define this again shall we and you need to demonstrate the illogic behind it. It won't cut to simply say these are not well defined. You know what a person is. You know what substance is now. Now we take the same simple substance shared between three persons. This is the trinity. Demonstrate the illogic behind it.

You seem to use those two terms interchangeably - person and personhood. Why swap and change between them? I know that one person can not be another person. I could only supply a naturalistic definition of a person. I would also use "people" rather than "persons" (or personhoods) to pluralise the term and not sound old-fashioned.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Philokalia

What? You tried to form a mathematical construct relating to the trinity that didn't make sense mathematically. There is no justification for persons and Godheads in algebra - however you choose to define them!

RationalAtheist

It demonstrated RA, that simply because something may equal a certain property or thing, it doesn't mean as you mistakingly and irresponsibly implied that it equal that same thing anotherthing equals. And you saying otherwise is not proof. You tried to say that because X=Q and Z=Q that therefore Z=X but this is proven false when another example is given that this is not the case. Z and X do not neccesarily have to equal another on this basis.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Philokalia

You seem to use those two terms interchangeably - person and personhood. Why swap and change between them? I know that one person can not be another person. I could only supply a naturalistic definition of a person. I would also use "people" rather than "persons" (or personhoods) to pluralise the term and not sound old-fashioned.

RationalAtheist

Which is why I asked can you conceive of a mind outside of the body. This is of key importance when talking about the trinity in the first place.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

Philokalia

No that does not follow.

Lets posit this.

A is an apple.

R is the colour red.

A = R

T = R

Does therefore A = T?

Clearly it doesn't.

This doesn't even make sense.

R in this case would denote a set of things that are the color red, not the color red itself, because you can't use material equivalence to relate A and T to the color red. They exhibit the property of the color red, but they aren't the color red itself. Hence,

R = {set of all things colored red}

A is an element of R

T is an element of R

Then,

T =/= A

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Some people just don't have the mind capacity to understand the concept of God. That's their own personal good vs. evil battle. I believe in Jesus Christ as a perfect human that resurrected from death. If you don't want to believe Jesus Christ achieved resurrection then I don't know what to say. It would be like trying to teach intermediate calculus to someone that believes math ends with algebra.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Philokalia

No that does not follow.

Lets posit this.

A is an apple.

R is the colour red.

A = R

T = R

Does therefore A = T?

Clearly it doesn't.

apples are fuggin green you giant ape
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Philokalia

This doesn't even make sense.

R in this case would denote a set of things that are the color red, not the color red itself, because you can't use material equivalence to relate A and T to the color red. They exhibit the property of the color red, but they aren't the color red itself. Hence,

R = {set of all things colored red}

A is an element of R

T is an element of R

Then,

T =/= R

Blood-Scribe

An Apple is red and it equals to being red or should we find another example? That is the only thing implied within the math i gave. The critique you make however can ALSO be made of what RA said. that Z=/=X=/=Y because they are apart of the same substance does not mean they must be each other.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 RationalAtheist

We cannot comprehend eternity, but it must neccesarily exist. Because non existence cannot bring something into existence, thus something has always existed. Hopefully you accept this. The distinction is in their persons Rational, is that they are not each other's person they are distinct in that regaurd. Now you have the mistaken notion that hte son is purely physical. This is not the Christian position. The Christian position si teh hypostatic union, that Chirst alone possesses two natures, humanity and divinity, niehter conflicting with the other.

When we take into consideration that this substance of divinity is quite simply behind all comprehension then its more difficult to say this is a contradiction. A genuine contradiction that is there may something about the transcendant that we cannot know about or comprehend about within this world of ourse. So the trinity does make sense as a rational concept RA, there is only one thing that you might question about and I am not convinced that you will decively be able to prove it is utterly impossible without relying on a naturalism which would force God into our existence.

Philokalia

I don't accept the concept of eternity. It has never been shown within naturalism. I so know that space and time are related, but couldn't specify or subscribe to attempts to define infinity.

The three parts are distinct people, you say. I know that the Christian God can not be a physical entity, so you're wrong to pre-suppose what I think there.Why wouldn't the physical nature of Christ conflict with the divine nature of Christ? Is it the dogma of a hypostatic union that forces this dissonance on you?

Why is it simple that something is beyond comprehension? That sounds like a poor excuse for a failure to understand or explain. It is hardly rational justification and more like faith-bound guesswork. Just saying something is rational and makes sense does not make it so, Phil. You have to explain how it makes sense and why it is rational to claim those attributes. You clearly have not done this and seem to be getting ever-more vague in your attempt at reasoning.

I don't have to prove anything to you about my beliefs. I'm only trying to undertand your "simple", "logical", "rational" explanation for the trinity. I have only failed to understand, since you have not provided any simple, rational, sensible reasoning for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

I don't accept the concept of eternity.

RationalAtheist
you think time is finite?
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 RationalAtheist

It demonstrated RA, that simply because something may equal a certain property or thing, it doesn't mean as you mistakingly and irresponsibly implied that it equal that same thing anotherthing equals. And you saying otherwise is not proof. You tried to say that because X=Q and Z=Q that therefore Z=X but this is proven false when another example is given that this is not the case. Z and X do not neccesarily have to equal another on this basis.

Philokalia

No, that's what you attempted, but the strict rules of algebra denied you this.

There is no mathematical proof of a trinity, and you should know this. If you are equating entities with attributes than you are making algebraic errors.

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Blood-Scribe

An Apple is red and it equals to being red or should we find another example? Philokalia

You are conflating material equivalence with being an element of a set. An apple exhibits the color red and is therefore an element of the set of things that are red, but it is not itself equivalent to being red because it is an element of the set, not the set itself. So saying that A = R doesn't make any sense in this case.

That is the only thing implied within the math i gave. The critique you make however can ALSO be made of what RA said. that Z=/=X=/=Y because they are apart of the same substance does not mean they must be each other.

Philokalia

No, it doesn't necessarily apply to RA because your original argument was that

X is Q, Y is Q, Z is Q, but X=/=Y=/=Z.Philokalia

To say that something 'is' in that formal language means that it is materially equivalent. So RA is technically right that X=Y=Z=Q if it's the case that X is Q, Y is Q, and Z is Q in a formal sense. This is why it doesn't make sense to say that A=R, because an apple is not the color red itself. It exhibits the property of the color red, so in formal language it would be better to say that A is an element in the set of R.

So yes, you're going to have to find a better example if you want to represent the trinity in terms of formal logic (lol).

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 RationalAtheist

Philokalia

Which is why I asked can you conceive of a mind outside of the body. This is of key importance when talking about the trinity in the first place.

I told you that I could and am still waiting for your next elaboration.

RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 RationalAtheist

Some people just don't have the mind capacity to understand the concept of God. That's their own personal good vs. evil battle. I believe in Jesus Christ as a perfect human that resurrected from death. If you don't want to believe Jesus Christ achieved resurrection then I don't know what to say. It would be like trying to teach intermediate calculus to someone that believes math ends with algebra.playmynutz

You can supply clear instructions for performing calculus and provide mathematical proofs for it. There is no room for interpretation in understanding integration and differentiation. You can't really say the same thing for the trinity.

I could make my own analgoy here; as if the people who believe the words in the bible haven't extended beyond that and tried to understand the proper textual criticism of the bible (synoptic problem, Wellhausen theory, et al) in an attempt to understand who wrote it and why.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

So yes, you're going to have to find a better example if you want to represent the trinity in terms of formal logic (lol).

Blood-Scribe

I don't get why religious people try to justify their beliefs with bad logic, it just makes them look stupid

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]

Bane_09

I don't get why religious people try to justify their beliefs with bad logic, it just makes them look stupid

I don't get why Atheists people try to justify that there is no god with bad logic. See what I did there?
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] See what I did there?

No, it was just too clever
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] See what I did there?

No, it was just too clever

Damn, you have to be quicker next time :P
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

Philokalia

No that does not follow.

HAHAHAHA

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#146 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
It's Muslims that believe Jesus is a prophet but not god. They say that the Old and New Testaments are corrupted, and many argue that even in the New Testament, Jesus never actually claimed to be god.Rhazakna
Actually, he did, when he said "I am that I Am," referencing the Burning Bush when Moses asked the voice if it was God. The voice said, "I am."
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Blood-Scribe

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

If X=Q and Y=Q and Z=Q, then X=Y=Z=Q must follow!MannyDelgado

No that does not follow.

HAHAHAHA

Advanced mathmatics, a class I just did not get. I tried something I wasn't prepared for and utterly failed at it. Wish I had chosen classics instead.

Philokalia

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
The Quran and the Bible say so. He never claimed that he was God, but a person SENT by God. John 14: 28 "My Father is greater than I" John 5:30 "I can for myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge and my judgment is just. For I seek not my will, but the will of the Father who has sent me" Jesus/Eisa PBUH prayed, ate, slept and had limitations. God doesn't do all these things and has no limitations. Also, according to Christians, Jesus "died" on the Cross, but God doesn't "die" because he is immortal. If he dies, then its blasphemy, who would run the world?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 FelipeInside
^^ He died but resurrected remember.
LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
^^ He died but resurrected remember.FelipeInside
Again, God cannot "die". Resurrect means that you died and then become alive. When he "died", how was the world running? How can an immortal being "die"?