Japan wants to lend US half the cost for new rail system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

The Japanese government has promised to lend the United States half of the cost of building the first "Super-Maglev" train, reducing travel time between Baltimore and Washington DC to just 15 minutes.

Tokyo is so keen to show off its technology that it will provide loans for half the estimated $8 billion (£5bn) cost of installing the tracks, Japan's Asahi newspaper said on Tuesday.

The American federal government is keen on the project, according to Central Japan Railway Co., and state authorities are especially enthusiastic.

"The national government has shown interest,” a source at the company said. “But a number of the states in the north-east corridor — such as Maryland — are particularly keen for faster rail links and more advanced technology.”

The 37-mile journey between Washington DC and Baltimore presently takes one hour by conventional rail link, and the Japanese government and Central Japan Railway Co. hope to use the project to showcase what it believes will be the transportation technology of the future.

Eventually, a 453-mile track linking the US capital with Boston will be constructed.

The proposal for the Maglev route was first put forward by Shinzo Abe, the Japanese prime minister, during talks with President Barack Obama in February and interest is increasing among states in the north-east of the US, according to Central Japan Railway Co.

"I want to propose that (the United States) introduce the Maglev train system to represent Japan-US cooperation," said Mr Abe at the meeting.

Mr Abe has devoted effort to travelling around the world to promote the export of his country's infrastructure technology. The latest proposal for extending a loan to the United States is part of such efforts.

Maglev vehicles have no wheels and are propelled along their track through electromagnetic pull – doing away with friction and, hence, providing a smoother and quieter ride at a faster speed.

Conventional Maglev technology is already in use on a number of short routes around the world, but is limited to a speed of around 267mph.

Japanese "Super-Maglev" trains are already operating on test tracks at speeds of more than 310mph.

The latest Series L0 maglev was unveiled in late 2012 and measures nearly 92 feet long – of which 49 feet forms an aerodynamic nose section – and is fitted with 24 seats. A full 16-carriage train will be able to carry 1,000 passengers.

The state-of-the-art trains are scheduled to go into use in 2027 and link Shinagawa Station, in central Tokyo, with Nagoya. At present, it takes 90 minutes for a conventional "shinkansen" bullet train to complete the journey between that two stations, although that will be cut to 40 minutes by the new technology.

The aim is to extend the line to Osaka by 2045 and the cost of the new lines has been put at Y8.44 trillion (£64 billion).

The Japanese government is hoping to have the US maglev operational within the next decade and that it will serve to encourage other parts of the US and countries around the world to purchase Japanese mass transit technology.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/10555330/Japan-offers-to-lend-US-half-the-cost-of-Super-Maglev-train-between-Washington-and-Baltimore.html

Sounds really cool. Would you be interested or do you think this investment is worth it? Another line that connects to Canada would be amazing.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

All aboard!

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Of course they do. Lend it all. Lets play Hardball, only on MSNBC.

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Also,

"lend" lmao

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

So the PS4 is indeed doing better than the XONE? :p

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

That's a good thing in itself. Now adding more to an already massive debt is never a good thing if I'm understanding this loan correctly.

In any case, the entire world should be more willing and enthusiastic about adopting Japanese state-of-the art infrastructure technology, its quite amazing what the Japanese have accomplished in this field thus far. I remember watching a documentary about it 3 years ago I think it was mind blowing. Their infrastructure technology penetrates even the smallest and most trivial details of everyday public life.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@GazaAli said:

That's a good thing in itself. Now adding more to an already massive debt is never a good thing if I'm understanding this loan correctly.

In any case, the entire world should be more willing and enthusiastic about adopting Japanese state-of-the art infrastructure technology, its quite amazing what the Japanese have accomplished in this field thus far. I remember watching a documentary about it 3 years ago I think it was mind blowing. Their infrastructure technology penetrates even the smallest and most trivial details of everyday public life.

it's not really that massive though, if you look at it as % of gdp.

I do agree that Japan has made some amazing innovations in that field, and I too hope that more countries will implement it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GazaAli

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

I do agree that Japan has made some amazing innovations in that field, and I too hope that more countries will implement it.

The debt itself or this loan in particular?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

The debt itself.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

pocket change

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Public transportation. That is a thing that exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

As long as other stuff is cut from the budget to pay for this loan, I'm fine with it. But does this loan cover how much it will cost to actually lay the track and possibly clear out some buildings in order to make room for it? Or is it simply for the technology?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@airshocker said:

As long as other stuff is cut from the budget to pay for this loan, I'm fine with it. But does this loan cover how much it will cost to actually lay the track and possibly clear out some buildings in order to make room for it? Or is it simply for the technology?

Probably the former. Japan has developing this technology themselves for a while now. They did say they want to expand their technology so helping out with the actual construction (and possibly maintenance) seems like it makes the most sense.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

@deeliman said:

@GazaAli said:

The debt itself.

The most recent source I came by indicates that the U.S' debt to GDP ratio is at 73%. This dates to September 2013.

I've been doing some reading on the subject and I'm not sure if I can have an informed verdict on this. It appears that 77% is the sweet spot. Any further and you start worrying you'll be downgraded by rating agencies.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Though courteous of them, the U.S. already has no problems borrowing money for a very small amount of interest, and realistically, the amount of money involved is rather small, so I don't think that the offer does much in particular. It's just a matter of deciding if it's worth it.

I could theoretically see high speed rail being viable along the coasts (and maybe from the east coast to Chicago).

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

where are they going to get money?

hell, they are in worse shape than greece and in 50 years half their population is going to be gone.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i wouldn't be that interested in it for long trips (although i'm sure it would be cheaper than flying, which is certainly nice), but it sounds really neat for commuting times.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Imagine how something like this would impact the country. The ability to cross entire states in a matter of minutes to get to work, or see family, or what-have-you, without dealing with the traffic or ridiculous airfare. Imagine schools using this system to give kids a hands-on experience of an entire chunk of the country before getting to high school.

Things like this are what made the Industrial Revolution so world-changing. This is what we should be gearing our scientific advancement towards.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

This. Is. Fucking. Awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Makhaidos said:

Imagine how something like this would impact the country. The ability to cross entire states in a matter of minutes to get to work, or see family, or what-have-you, without dealing with the traffic or ridiculous airfare. Imagine schools using this system to give kids a hands-on experience of an entire chunk of the country before getting to high school.

Things like this are what made the Industrial Revolution so world-changing. This is what we should be gearing our scientific advancement towards.

Yup.

It doesn't make sense to me why the military doesn't work to create more practical technology at home. If they put money towards improving the lives of Americans rather than pissing it away on prototypes that they don't even end up using then the outrageous military budget starts to justify itself.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Considering the average delay on the Japanese rail system is 3 seconds I don't see why this would be a bad idea, in fact it would probably be all kinds of good for the United States.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makhaidos

@Aljosa23 said:

@Makhaidos said:

Yup.

It doesn't make sense to me why the military doesn't work to create more practical technology at home. If they put money towards improving the lives of Americans rather than pissing it away on prototypes that they don't even end up using then the outrageous military budget starts to justify itself.

Of course, I can also see some negatives of the system. Criminals will have a much easier time traveling across state lines, which will confound jurisdictional authority. If the system ever breaks down or crashes, then the death toll would likely be very high, not to mention the impact such a disaster would have on the economy. And I imagine it would be very expensive to maintain across differing weather conditions, though if we've managed this far on Amtrak then perhaps not.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coolbeans90
@Makhaidos said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Makhaidos said:

Yup.

Of course, I can also see some negatives of the system. Criminals will have a much easier time traveling across state lines, which will confound jurisdictional authority. If the system ever breaks down or crashes, then the death toll would likely be very high, not to mention the impact such a disaster would have on the economy. And I imagine it would be very expensive to maintain across differing weather conditions, though if we've managed this far on Amtrak then perhaps not.

eh, criminals can already move across state lines somewhat quickly (in most areas), so i think the changes here would be marginal

basically, the people who would have been pulled over prior to crossing state lines, which i don't think is too many

also, the TSA will probably end up having a hand in this given the direction of things, so even that mightn't be the case

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Makhaidos

@coolbeans90 said:
@Makhaidos said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Makhaidos said:

Yup.

eh, criminals can already move across state lines somewhat quickly (in most areas), so i think the changes here would be marginal

basically, the people who would have been pulled over prior to crossing state lines, which i don't think is too many

also, the TSA will probably end up having a hand in this given the direction of things, so even that mightn't be the case

Eh, even if it's all true, I still think the benefits far outweigh the risks. Every bit of progress carries risks and changes with it, and we'll adapt to them as we always have.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I just don't think it will be worth $8,000,000,000+ in taxpayer money so they can save time. Not to mention that alot of people in the USA, like myself, aren't even going to receive the potential benefits of this new train system. If the states that this new railway will go through would like to take it upon themselves to get it done then they can certainly do that, but I just don't see why it has to be the federal government receiving the loan, paying for it and overseeing the construction of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Eh it won't happen. The eco-facists will come out and complain about the frog habitats and stuff being destroyed.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coolbeans90

@Storm_Marine said:

Eh it won't happen. The eco-facists will come out and complain about the frog habitats and stuff being destroyed.

if we're lucky, they'll look at CO2 emissions

but then again, if that was the case, they would let us use nuke plants

they dont always play by their own rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@hoola said:

I just don't think it will be worth $8,000,000,000+ in taxpayer money so they can save time. Not to mention that alot of people in the USA, like myself, aren't even going to receive the potential benefits of this new train system. If the states that this new railway will go through would like to take it upon themselves to get it done then they can certainly do that, but I just don't see why it has to be the federal government receiving the loan, paying for it and overseeing the construction of it.

Time is money, man.

And if it takes off at the start, that could mean more of them will be built to benefit more people. Not everyone needs to benefit from something to make it viable, to think otherwise is just petty and selfish.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
@hoola said:

What kind of argument is this? By this logic, no infrastructure project should ever be built in the U.S. because the vast majority of the population would never benefit from any individual one. And its pretty obvious why the federal government is involved - it's an interstate rail line which links to the capital city. Also because $8 billion is a paltry sum for the entire U.S. but pretty damn hefty for Maryland and D.C. alone to cough up.

SignificanceStatistical significance, the extent to which a result is unlikely to be due to chance alone

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 coolbeans90

Kinda would be cool if they linked Richmond and D.C., or at least NoVa.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265

So...um if a ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto costs 15,000-ish yen how much do you think a ticket from LA to New York would cost....?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Storm_Marine said:

So...um if a ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto costs 15,000-ish yen how much do you think a ticket from LA to New York would cost....?

Assuming such a line is even built, maybe double or almost triple the cost? 15k yen is about $150 so... $375-450.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-598fc45371265
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Assuming such a line is even built, maybe double or almost triple the cost? 15k yen is about $150 so... $375-450.

If it was a simple matter of comparing the distance it would be at least ten times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Storm_Marine said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

If it was a simple matter of comparing the distance it would be at least ten times.

Where did you get that 15k yen figure or is that simply hypothetical? Anyway, I don't think it would be too expensive since it's subsidized by the feds. Definitely cheaper than air travel unless those guys lower their prices drastically to compete.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Barbariser

@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Where did you get that 15k yen figure or is that simply hypothetical? Anyway, I don't think it would be too expensive since it's subsidized by the feds. Definitely cheaper than air travel unless those guys lower their prices drastically to compete.

That's roughly the price you will get if you google "tokyo to kyoto train ticket". Although Japan does have exceptionally high ticket prices compared to European nations with a similar size and infrastructure level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Aljosa23:

The first Google results says 13000 so I was off by 2000. I thought I remembered it being higher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Ah, okay. That makes sense. We can only speculate on the price but it would definitely be cheaper than flying.

Remember this? http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-12/revealed-elon-musk-explains-the-hyperloop

Haven't been following development but I'd much rather prefer the train than a pod.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Aljosa23:

@Barbariser said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

That's roughly the price you will get if you google "tokyo to kyoto train ticket". Although Japan does have exceptionally high ticket prices compared to European nations with a similar size and infrastructure level.

Switzerland and Germany aren't much cheaper.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-598fc45371265

@Aljosa23 said:

Ah, okay. That makes sense. We can only speculate on the price but it would definitely be cheaper than flying.

I'm not so sure about that.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Barbariser
@Storm_Marine said:
Switzerland and Germany aren't much cheaper.

This touring website shows me much cheaper train ticket prices (generally 30-50% less) than Tokyo-Kyoto for much greater distances. Although it looks like it depends a lot on the level of accommodation you want on the way. Would still put trains-CONUS train tickets into the hundreds of dollars though.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
@Barbariser said:
@hoola said:

What kind of argument is this? By this logic, no infrastructure project should ever be built in the U.S. because the vast majority of the population would never benefit from any individual one. And its pretty obvious why the federal government is involved - it's an interstate rail line which links to the capital city. Also because $8 billion is a paltry sum for the entire U.S. but pretty damn hefty for Maryland and D.C. alone to cough up.

SignificanceStatistical significance, the extent to which a result is unlikely to be due to chance alone

Assuming the states aren't going to pay for any of it, I know exactly why the US government is going to be involved - it isn't worth the time, money, and effort to the states who could be receiving this railway to actually build it in the first place. It would not provide a net gain to the economy if they had to pay for it - it would be a net loss. You even agree with that by mentioning that the cost would be hefty for Maryland and D.C. That is why the federal government would be getting involved, so they can use tax dollars collected from other states to pay for this project. What this means is people from other parts of the country would be subsidizing the creation of this railway. If it is a loss for the very areas it will be built in, then it will certainly be a loss for the federal government overall. There is no reason these states (plus D.C.) can not organize themselves and attempt to fund this project together if they truly thought it was a good investment. But they know it is not a worthwhile investment, that is why everyone else would have to pay for it if they actually agree to build it.

My point is not that there shouldn't be spending on infrastructure, it is that that spending should not be coming from the federal government, regardless of whether or not it connects to D.C. Federal money should not be spent on these sorts of projects. States are fully capable of investing in themselves.

@Aljosa23 said:

@hoola said:

Time is money, man.

And if it takes off at the start, that could mean more of them will be built to benefit more people. Not everyone needs to benefit from something to make it viable, to think otherwise is just petty and selfish.

It is not petty and selfish to want projects that EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY paid for, to benefit everyone. In fact, it is just the opposite from what you think. The people who want this project to go through are petty and selfish for wanting to take money from the masses and distribute it to the few. I agree that time is money. However, to save 45 minutes per person when there is already a reliable mode of transportation is NOT worth $8 billion plus interest plus any unforeseen costs. Maybe once the federal government, as well as these citys/states, get their finances in check they can argue that it would be a good investment. But as it is today, they should not be adding to their already massive debt piles for an increase in the speed of a train.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

baltimore deserves nothing better than the MARK, also lol if anyone in japan thinks they can get an accurate construction quotes from maryland planners. if they think it should cost 8 billion it will easily cost 4 times that.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:
@Aljosa23 said:

@Storm_Marine said:

Oh, I see! Another entitlement for the rich!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

We can't add more to the debt, or else the country will fail, so we should reject this and just survive on our current, crumbling infrastructure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@hoola: I fail to see how it wouldn't be worth it to go from Baltimore to D.C. in 15 minutes. For commuters and businesses, that is huge, and the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area is among the largest and wealthiest in America with known traffic problems. The "reliable" mode of transportation you speak of consist of outdated and old trains that waste way more money to maintain in the long run. I don't even need to mention the pollution caused from idling cars on the freeway. Maglev trains are famous for having low maintenance and ongoing cost and they're safer with only two significant incidents since 1991, both attributed to human error. You should read up on these trains and see incredible they are. Besides, the MTA is already in the process of looking to expand their transit system and going this route makes the most sense.

Sorry, I just completely disagree with your view. The American government has never stifled technological innovation for the sake of "fairness" (more of these systems would pop up if the first became successful and I'm sure the Feds would help out there, too) and there's no reason why they should start now. There are plenty of programs and services that aren't used by most of Americans, why should this be any different? The Federal government helping to fund a worthwhile system that could potentially revolutionize the lives of millions of Americans makes way a lot of sense to me than a lot of other stuff they spend money on. I know I would be perfectly fine if my government created a line connecting Quebec City and Montreal.