nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36641 Posts

Love his calm way of approaching this. And the slight self deprecation James did over how both of them are only second place on each of their networks. lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 35541 Posts

I think Charlie Booker made a more pertinent point in screen-wipe, where it's less people poking fun and more a culture where everyone is trying to attain perfection.

Loading Video...

I mean take Gamespot for example the site we are on, in the old Gamespot, we had very average looking schlubs, balding, overweight 30+ year old men.

Then, when it was rebooted, it suddenly went the IGN route where everyone was beautiful hip 20 somethings, especially using attractive woman for clicks.

That's not to say these people have no credibility or were bad at their jobs by virtue of being attractive, merely that it's part of why they were hired in the first place and it's part of what Brooker was describing.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1897 Posts

I'm inclined to agree more with Bill Maher. James Corden doesn't have a constructive alternative. I cut my hair and bathe and clip my nails and shave and wash my clothes because it would shame me to go out without doing any of that. (Well, I also hate smelling my own filth.) But obesity is excused now because so many people have let themselves go that it's become a sort of norm. It's shameful that it is being glamorized.

There are so many obese people at my job, and I feel sorry for some of them. This obese girl I used to work with told her coworker that she left her boyfriend again because he wasn't attracted to her, and all the coworker did was defend her and try to make her feel good about how she looks. They're told repeatedly by friends, family and the media that being fat is fine. If being unkempt and wearing lazy pajamas in public was acceptable and encouraged, I wouldn't dress up and I would cut most of the personal maintenance out of my routine. Obesity is extremely unhealthy and should be combated more. Shame can be a good thing. It's normal. Everyone feels shame to an extent, unless they are a smelly, unkempt nudist.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5370 Posts

I can't stand either of those guys, but Bill makes a better point...somewhat. I don't agree with shaming exactly or bullying at all, but being downright morbidly obese is becoming standard and glamorized and applauded and that needs to stop.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Jesus Christ, is this really where we are at?

@ezekiel43 said:

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1897 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@ezekiel43 said:

Here's another one, an ad by Gilette, titled, "Get out there and slay the day."

So glamorous.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38584 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I'm more surprise you didn't post this in the Political Gamer since this is more towards Political discussion but hey, I'm just a regular American guy, so what do I know right?

Anyways. Obviously Bill didn’t do his part is parsing out the point his was making and that’s on him, but it’s not a new sentiment that he is spreading. The idea isn’t that people should be individually humiliated over their weight, it’s that obesity shouldn’t be embraced as a healthy and acceptable way to live your life. If you want to eat your way to an early grave then you have that right, just like you can drink yourself to death, smoke cigarettes, do hard drugs, etc, but don’t tell young impressionable people that it is an equally healthy alternative to eating and exercising responsibly to maintain your weight.

Only two YouTubers I know who were overweight are Boogie2988 & ReviewerTechUSA, they both lose their weights and it was a prime example.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36641 Posts

@davillain-: I had a mental debate on where to put it, and thought this leaned closer to OT. Any more mods that disagree can move it if they want.

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Volsung
Member since 2019 • 382 Posts

That Cosmopolitan cover is an exception (presumably either to be inclusive or flat out just to get media attention) not a norm. The notion that being overweight is being pushed mainstream as a new ideal seems a little fantastical to me...

That said, I'm sure it's not as socially acceptable to bully people about their weight as it once was, but people that think that's a bad thing should probably go get stuffed.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1348 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Joe Rogan talked about that photo and was sort of pissed off people telling people this is OK when she's eating herself to death. Like this is suppose to make people feel better that they can't put down the cookies and donuts.

Obese is 1 thing, but this morbid. Sexy is whatever you want, but it certainly isn't healthy to have that much weight.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6132 Posts

I don't agree with fat shaming, but I also don't think obesity is something society should just accept as a new norm. It's a problem that needs fixing.

It's nice and all to say everyone's beautiful in their own way, but lets be real here - very few people find morbid obesity sexy (yes, a few people do, and it is generally regarded as a fetish and not "normal"). This is secondary to the health issues associated with obesity with which there are many.

Feelings are being put before facts when it comes to this debate over body positivity. Notice how almost none of these overweight fat activist are men. A photoshopped image of a fat lady doesn't tell the full story. Any morbidly obese person knows how hard it is to bathe properly, not to mention all the chafing from skin-on-skin contact with all the fat rolls. Yeah, it's gross, but that's the reality of obesity.

Edit: Also, what Cordon is essentially saying is we should "sugarcoat" the truth regarding obesity because fat people are incapable of handling reality and will respond to it by binging on more unhealthy food.

Edit2: The point about healthy food being too expensive for the poor is BS too. There have been studies which prove eating healthy doesn't need to be more expensive. The problem is people don't want to eat this food because it requires more prep time and doesn't taste as good. I'm sick of people's income being used as an excuse for their bad choices.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38584 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Fair enough. I think it fits the bill here, so I won't move it at all :)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17561 Posts

@ezekiel43:

What the hell is that?

@uninspiredcup: "we had very average looking schlubs, balding, overweight 30+ year old men. Then, when it was rebooted, it suddenly went the IGN route where everyone was beautiful hip 20 somethings,"

How would you know that?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@PSP107 said:

@ezekiel43:

What the hell is that?

@uninspiredcup: "we had very average looking schlubs, balding, overweight 30+ year old men. Then, when it was rebooted, it suddenly went the IGN route where everyone was beautiful hip 20 somethings,"

How would you know that?

Because I've been browsing Gamespot since 56k was standard?

What an odd question.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44598 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

I'm inclined to agree more with Bill Maher. James Corden doesn't have a constructive alternative. I cut my hair and bathe and clip my nails and shave and wash my clothes because it would shame me to go out without doing any of that. (Well, I also hate smelling my own filth.) But obesity is excused now because so many people have let themselves go that it's become a sort of norm. It's shameful that it is being glamorized.

I agree with you that it is pretty bad that fat is being glamourized. Even worse, it's the wrong kind of "fat". It's one thing to be a bit thick (or thicc, as the kids are saying) or husky, and quite another to be obese.

Being a bit thicker can, in fact, be attributed to genetics. You can still be attractive and thick. You can still be an athlete and thick. You can still be healthy and thick.

Obese is something you do to yourself (or in the case of children, can have done to you). There is no excuse and no one to blame but yourself. Yes, a lot of things can cause you to overeat or be lazy and it's it doesn't make you wrong to be overweight or a bad person or somebody that deserves to be shamed.

But it's not a virtue, either. People shouldn't be fat shaming because the fat person should have shame for themselves, to a degree. At least enough shame to either a.) motivate them to change, or b.) realize they shouldn't be celebrated.

Society on the other hand doesn't need to fat shame, they just need to stop fat celebrating. It is not good be fat.

They need to make a deal: fat people can't be proud of being fat, while society needs to maybe change it's body expectations a little bit and not be assholes.

Fat people need help, not shame.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44598 Posts
@volsung said:

That Cosmopolitan cover is an exception (presumably either to be inclusive or flat out just to get media attention) not a norm. The notion that being overweight is being pushed mainstream as a new ideal seems a little fantastical to me...

That said, I'm sure it's not as socially acceptable to bully people about their weight as it once was, but people that think that's a bad thing should probably go get stuffed.

The list of people that haters can righteously hate on is growing shorter by the day. I think they make a big deal out of this just so it alienates people and they don't come off like jerks.

Yeah nonsense like Cosmo doesn't help, but then blowing it 10x out of proportion by saying "THIS IS THE STANDARD NOW AND I AM NOT OK WITH THAT" isn't actually any better.

Some issues, causes, and agendas would honestly just die stillborn if only people didn't pay any attention to them. "Oh, fat is fabulous? That's lame. Moving on...." and *poof* all gone.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107

@uninspiredcup: "What an odd question."

No it wasn't.

Unless you did see pictures of past and present Gamespot users?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup  Online

@PSP107 said:

No it wasn't.

I'm really confused.

Help.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 847 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@PSP107 said:

No it wasn't.

I'm really confused.

Help.

I got you, Cup.

He was saying the Gamespot reviewers all turned into young pretty people. Not that the Gamespot users were now young and pretty.

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Volsung
Member since 2019 • 382 Posts

@heathen75 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@PSP107 said:

No it wasn't.

I'm really confused.

Help.

I got you, Cup.

He was saying the Gamespot reviewers all turned into young pretty people. Not that the Gamespot users were now young and pretty.

Well I don't know about you but I'm a lot younger and prettier than I was when I started visiting the site in 06.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 832 Posts

I don't think you should shame people but the whole "big is beautiful " slogan is nonsense.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 35939 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@ezekiel43 said:

So glamorous.

it's smart marketing.

if you sell a product designed to cover skin (shaving cream) you want people to buy lots of it. the more skin surface area a person has more product they need to buy.

you're wasting your marketing dollars advertising to people with low skin surface area.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19616 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I agree with you that it is pretty bad that fat is being glamourized. Even worse, it's the wrong kind of "fat". It's one thing to be a bit thick (or thicc, as the kids are saying) or husky, and quite another to be obese.

Being a bit thicker can, in fact, be attributed to genetics. You can still be attractive and thick. You can still be an athlete and thick. You can still be healthy and thick.

Obese is something you do to yourself (or in the case of children, can have done to you). There is no excuse and no one to blame but yourself. Yes, a lot of things can cause you to overeat or be lazy and it's it doesn't make you wrong to be overweight or a bad person or somebody that deserves to be shamed.

But it's not a virtue, either. People shouldn't be fat shaming because the fat person should have shame for themselves, to a degree. At least enough shame to either a.) motivate them to change, or b.) realize they shouldn't be celebrated.

Society on the other hand doesn't need to fat shame, they just need to stop fat celebrating. It is not good be fat.

They need to make a deal: fat people can't be proud of being fat, while society needs to maybe change it's body expectations a little bit and not be assholes.

Fat people need help, not shame.

I agree with a few comments here. Healthy and thick is absolutely a thing. We've got big guys at the gym who have great cardio and tear it up at BJJ tournaments.

The issue with judging someone one doesn't know based on their appearance (even if they are overweight) is just that, you don't know them. It's on par with judging someone for having a handicapped plate on their car, but when they get out they don't have a wheel chair or crutches so one assumes they are faking it. Just because someone looks fat to an observer, or is fatter than the observer, that doesn't mean they aren't working on it or haven't been for a long time. Genetics are a factor, of course, but even beyond that there are any number of medical conditions (or medications for those conditions) that can absolutely wreak havoc with one's ability to manage their weight just to name a few examples. Even without external factors or medical conditions, the amount of effort that particular person might have to put into maintaining a weight similar to a judgmental observer might be significantly more, but the outside observer doesn't necessarily have visibility into any of that while they pat themselves on the back for being better than the person they are looking at. The point is if you have no idea what that persons struggle is, so to judge them without any knowledge of their situation is the same mentality that leads to "well if you're poor it's because you can't manage your money right", etc.

I would never celebrate obesity, but I would encourage someone to be comfortable in their own skin because regardless of whether they want to change anything about their lives, that would be the first step (which, by the way, is typically what those campaigns are about). In my experience, when people say things like "shame is for their own good" it's usually not about helping anyone and just a desire to be crappy to someone without receiving negative stigma themselves. There are those who genuinely enjoy being decent to other people, and there are those who are constantly looking for groups for whom they think it's socially acceptable to be crappy to.

Even if it's well intentioned, making comments to someone can still be pretty crappy. Once at work I took the elevator to a meeting that was two floors down from where I was. A co-worker noticed that I took the elevator two floors to join the meeting, and made a comment that it would be better for me if I had taken the stairs like her. There was probably no intentional judgement, but a comment like this (even well intended) is kind of shitty unless you know the person and their situation. While I didn't comment in response, I was tempted to say something along the lines of "Oh, I'm sorry. My orthopedic surgeon who recently reconstructed my ACL after a Jiu-Jitsu injury suggested I take it easy on the stairs for a bit, but hey! If you think have better advice for me based on casually observing a total stranger to you, I'll give you his number and you can give him an earful about how he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about with his silly X-rays, MRIs, and what he saw when he literally had my fucking knee cut open to look inside because clearly, you know more about my situation than he does."

The moral of the story is, if you don't know the person (and maybe even if you do) to keep that crap to yourself.

Oh, and also: The standard BMI index based on weight vs height is complete garbage.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28255 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

@ezekiel43 said:

So glamorous.

Promoting poor health is bad. From my POV, fat shaming has health benefits.

I support certain "nanny state" programs that promote healthy eating that lowers health care cost.

I have my own leftist views besides my right wing view points.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#25 Speeny  Online
Member since 2018 • 2067 Posts

I don't care what you do with yourself or how you look but health should come first sometimes. I don't think it's good to "embrace" being overweight like some of those fat models do though.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107

@heathen75:

No he/she(cup) was saying he/she remembers Gamespot users being bald 30+ year old men to becoming more youthful group.

I followed up with the question "how will you know that"

He/She said it was odd question to ask.

My point, was did he/she knew/know the characteristics of past/current Gamespot users.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@PSP107 said:

@heathen75:

My point, was did he/she knew/know the characteristics of past/current Gamespot users.

They've been doing video reviews since pretty much it's incarnation.

Loading Video...

My favourite is "hot woman with granddad" format, Fox news has turned that into an art-form.

Loading Video...

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 847 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@heathen75:

No he/she(cup) was saying he/she remembers Gamespot users being bald 30+ year old men to becoming more youthful group.

I followed up with the question "how will you know that"

He/She said it was odd question to ask.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk  Online
Member since 2011 • 19153 Posts
@speeny said:

I don't care what you do with yourself or how you look but health should come first sometimes. I don't think it's good to "embrace" being overweight like some of those fat models do though.

So you don´t care but yet you do kinda care since you "assume" they are not healthy. Besides the obvious side effects of being overweight.

Anyways, I do not get why some people have such a hard time with "obese" people? it´s not like they hurt you or your family or they eat your share of food. I wonder if it´s because they are jealous or something like that.

But my philosophy is the same as above, I do not care one bit if people want to be obese or super skinny and look like someone who just came back from Ethiopia. If they are happy with how they are then all power to them.

All I care about is how I look and feel.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Jacanuk said:
@speeny said:

So you don´t care but yet you do kinda care since you "assume" they are not healthy. Besides the obvious side effects of being overweight.

Anyways, I do not get why some people have such a hard time with "obese" people? it´s not like they hurt you or your family or they eat your share of food. I wonder if it´s because they are jealous or something like that.

But my philosophy is the same as above, I do not care one bit if people want to be obese or super skinny and look like someone who just came back from Ethiopia. If they are happy with how they are then all power to them.

All I care about is how I look and feel.

The costs of obesity

It is estimated that the NHS spent £6.1 billion on overweight and obesity-related ill-health in 2014 to 2015. Annual spend on the treatment of obesity and diabetes is greater than the amount spent on the police, the fire service and the judicial system combined.31 Mar 2017

Le jelly

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jacanuk  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

The costs of obesity

It is estimated that the NHS spent £6.1 billion on overweight and obesity-related ill-health in 2014 to 2015. Annual spend on the treatment of obesity and diabetes is greater than the amount spent on the police, the fire service and the judicial system combined.31 Mar 2017

Le jelly

And take the cost of Alcohol, Tobacco, Darwin awards, or what about taking the cost idiots who think they can drive cost.

So nice failed argument there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup  Online

yes.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11617 Posts

P

@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The costs of obesity

Le jelly

And take the cost of Alcohol, Tobacco, Darwin awards, or what about taking the cost idiots who think they can drive cost.

No it’s not a failed argument. We’re discussing obesity here. He provided stats, which was unnecessary considering how it’s common knowledge. Now you’re talking about other self-harming habits. People are jealous that obese people are eating up the costs. Sorry.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSP107

@heathen75:

Too slow?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jacanuk  Online

@SOedipus said:

P

No it’s not a failed argument. We’re discussing obesity here. He provided stats, which was unnecessary considering how it’s common knowledge. Now you’re talking about other self-harming habits. People are jealous that obese people are eating up the costs. Sorry.

Of course, it´s a failed argument, the argument was the cost to society but the cost is the same or even less then the cost of people smoking, drinking or just being stupid in general, not to mention the cost bad drivers entails every year not just in monetary but in human lives.

So try again and come up with a better argument why the prejudice against "obese people" is not just moronic.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup  Online

yes.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11617 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@SOedipus said:

P

Of course, it´s a failed argument, the argument was the cost to society but the cost is the same or even less then the cost of people smoking, drinking or just being stupid in general, not to mention the cost bad drivers entails every year not just in monetary but in human lives.

So try again and come up with a better argument why the prejudice against "obese people" is not just moronic.

So what if the cost is similar to that of smokers/alcoholics? Doesn’t change the fact that they‘re a burden on the health system. Sometimes it’s more personal, like them sitting next to you on a plane crushing you. Similar to a smoker blowing smoke in your face, or an alcoholic puking on your new sweater...whatever. And it’s because of choices they made. Listen, I’m overweight, not obese, I could lose a few kilos. But when I bump my gut into someone in line by accident and they give me a dirty look, I can’t blame them. It’s not their fault that I ate like shit for the past year. It’s not moronic at all.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5934 Posts

I used to have a fat colleague and one time when we were snacking on birthday cake, she told me that life was so easy on me because I stay thin and lean even though I was stuffing my face full of chocolate cake. I asked her if she also walked 90 minutes and on top of that rode her bicycle for 60 minutes every frikkin' day. Of course she didn't, turns out she barely moves for 20 minutes a day, she takes her car for everything.

Well duh you're getting fat if you're simply lazy. I also don't like exercising every day, but I don't like getting fat even more so I just do it.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107

@TheFlush: " I asked her if she also walked 90 minutes and on top of that rode her bicycle for 60 minutes every frikkin' day."

Is that your current exercise routine

"Well duh you're getting fat if you're simply lazy."

Did you tell her that?

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#40  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3437 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@uninspiredcup said:

The costs of obesity

Le jelly

Nobody is praising alcoholics and heavy chain smokers....and even if people did, whats your point? two wrongs makes a who cares?

Edit: On topic, James Cordon is a tool, fat shaming should absolutely be a thing.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5934 Posts

@PSP107: Yeah that's my current daily routine.

I showed her that she doesn't exercise all that much, too little in fact. I understand that not everybody can work out 150 minutes a day, but 15 minutes is pretty weak.

nm9901wallaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nm9901wallaby
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

Bill Maher is human form of literal trash (who even watches this guy anymore?) but James Corden is a fatty.