Jack Nicholson vs. Heath Ledger as The Joker

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Imo, Jack Nicholson owns Heath Ledger as the joker. Jack Nicholson created a unique, imaginitive character; Heath Ledger simply recycled the same "crazy villain" that has been done so many times by so many people (recently, by Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, except that, imo, Bardem was MUCH better than Ledger in that type of role).

What do you guys think?

Edit: DO NOT answer this if you have not seen both movies.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts
Heath Ledger. He's the best Joker.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
They are very different so it's hard to compare them. I prefer the Ledger Joker
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqAvubu70Yc

I don't know who's the better. Nicholson is just epic, but Heath Ledger's Joker was far more dark and fitting for the new Batman films.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Heath Ledger. He's the best Joker.JediXMan7
because he's dead. If he was alive all anyone would say is a crap he was etc
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Imo, Jack Nicholson owns Heath Ledger as the joker. Jack Nicholson created a unique, imaginitive character; Heath Ledger simply recycled the same "crazy villain" that has been done so many times by so many people (recently, by Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, except that, imo, Bardem was MUCH better than Ledger in that type of role).

What do you guys think?

Fail, no he didn't.. he was NO different then the joker in the 60s... Furthermore Ledger's joker was closer to what the creator of him wanted the joker to be..
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Although I do think Nicholson is a good actor, looking back I didn't really like the Burton Batman films. Actually, Nicholson played similar goofy and evil parts in some other movies (The Shining), that the character seems like it was done before. I think Heath Ledger's Joker is much more interesting to watch, since it was a completely different role for him, and from my knowledge, Heath Ledger never played a character as twisted as that one (with the possible exception of Brokeback Mountain, lol jk :P). Anyway, you get my reasoning for it, there's other movies in which Nicholson played a similar role, so the transformation isn't as apparent. That, and I thought the Vicky Vale character was ridiculously annoying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="JediXMan7"]Heath Ledger. He's the best Joker.freshgman

............... Or the fact he was just extremely good.. People Nicholson's joker was nothing new, infact it was almost the exact same from the Joker in the 60s, except he was more adult like in what he did for odvious reasons.. Seeing as the majority of the viewers for batman in the 60s were young kids..
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

His death has nothing to do with it, and to say it did is pretty ignorant. Ledgers was far superior, Nicholsans Joker was just Jack Nicholsan in make up, nothing special and nothing creative. Ledger created everything you saw in The Dark Knight, the walk, the make up, the way he talked, laughed, the way he licked his lips, it was a much darker and freaky Joker, and a much more realistic Joker. Both cantreally be compared based on the type of Batman film they both were in, but that aside, Ledgers was still much better imo. Again you make a mistake even trying to compare Anton to the Joker, both extremely different characters, both driven by much different things, and shared no similarities, other then being crazy....but so are most villians, including Nicholsans Joker.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 septemberluc
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
Heath Ledger's Joker was so different from the Joker people are used to seeing. He did a fantastic portrayal of his version of the Joker, but as far as staying true to the source material, he did not do so hot. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I certainly enjoyed watching this interpretation of the character than the one done in Tim Burton's Batman. Jack Nicholson did nothing more than put on a purple suit and some make-up and played... himself.
Devour2Survive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Devour2Survive
Member since 2008 • 782 Posts
Burton's joker was a lot lamer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Heath Ledger's Joker was so different from the Joker people are used to seeing. He did a fantastic portrayal of his version of the Joker, but as far as staying true to the source material, he did not do so hot. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I certainly enjoyed watching this interpretation of the character than the one done in Tim Burton's Batman. Jack Nicholson did nothing more than put on a purple suit and some make-up and played... himself.septemberluc
Are you sure about that just about eveyr fan I have seen of the graphic novel said that Heath Ledger's Joker was the closest depiction of the Joker?
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 septemberluc
[QUOTE="septemberluc"]Heath Ledger's Joker was so different from the Joker people are used to seeing. He did a fantastic portrayal of his version of the Joker, but as far as staying true to the source material, he did not do so hot. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I certainly enjoyed watching this interpretation of the character than the one done in Tim Burton's Batman. Jack Nicholson did nothing more than put on a purple suit and some make-up and played... himself.sSubZerOo
Are you sure about that just about eveyr fan I have seen of the graphic novel said that Heath Ledger's Joker was the closest depiction of the Joker?

Which graphic novel? The new one that came out after the movie, sure, but other than "the Killing Joke", he was not quite the guy we enjoyed on the screen.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I hate to be yet another person to boost Ledger's petard but Jack Nicholson's Joker is terrible. He just plays Jack Nicholson... the same character he plays in every film. The Shining, The Bucket List, The Departed, Anger Management, etc. Just with a different spin on the same idea.

Heath Ledger's Joker is what I expected "the Joker" to be. Insane, chaotic and absolutely hilarious. Anyone who actually purports Nicholson's Joker, have you seen the movie recently or are you just looking back through rose-tinted goggles?
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
Jack was his typical somewhat goofy great psyco self. But Ledger was on a whole nother level of crazy and sadistic. His character was just awesome.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JediXMan

Or it's because he was a fantastic Joker? :roll:

Have you ever read the Killing Joke? That is probably Joker at his darkest - which Ledger was asked to read. Heath Ledger is the greatest Joekr and every actor to play him will be copying Heath Ledger.

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
No love for Mark Hamill?
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JediXMan
Yeah, he was good.
SpidersRMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpidersRMe
Member since 2006 • 6201 Posts
I'm glad that your poll has a response for those of us who havn't seen either of the movies and don't know why we clicked on this thread.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No love for Mark Hamill? Samwel_X

After very much enjoying Hamill's portrayal of Fire Lord Ozai in Avatar, I will have to go back at some point and watch the animated Batman series again. Hamill is really good at voice acting, especially when it comes to being evil.
septemberluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 septemberluc
[QUOTE="Samwel_X"]No love for Mark Hamill? foxhound_fox

After very much enjoying Hamill's portrayal of Fire Lord Ozai in Avatar, I will have to go back at some point and watch the animated Batman series again. Hamill is really good at voice acting, especially when it comes to being evil.

Indeed. That nasally voice he has is always good for evil voiceovers.
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
They're different Joker characters... So they're really not meant to be compared...
Lisaanne30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lisaanne30
Member since 2007 • 1472 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

What do you guys think?

Fail, no he didn't.. he was NO different then the joker in the 60s... Furthermore Ledger's joker was closer to what the creator of him wanted the joker to be..

yes ledger was more like the comic book joker than jack was, jack was good but wasnt the same as the comic books. ledger nailed it real good.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I prefer ledgers version.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
I watched the original Tim Burton Batman before I went to go see The Dark Knight so I could compare, and I think there is not question that Heath Ledger was a better Joker.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
[QUOTE="tbone29"]They're different Joker characters... So they're really not meant to be compared...

That's a perfect reason to compare them.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I hate to be yet another person to boost Ledger's petard but Jack Nicholson's Joker is terrible. He just plays Jack Nicholson... the same character he plays in every film. The Shining, The Bucket List, The Departed, Anger Management, etc. Just with a different spin on the same idea.

Heath Ledger's Joker is what I expected "the Joker" to be. Insane, chaotic and absolutely hilarious. Anyone who actually purports Nicholson's Joker, have you seen the movie recently or are you just looking back through rose-tinted goggles?
foxhound_fox

I watched it a few days after I watched The Dark Knight. I still concluded that Nicholson was better. Sure, The Dark Knight was overall a better movie, but Nicholson was better than Ledger.

dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

What do you guys think?

Edit: DO NOT answer this if you have not seen both movies.

The fact that you are comparing Javier Bardem from No Country and Ledger's Joker, and calling them similar, is completely egregious. These two characters are nothing alike. Ledger's Joker was insane, disturbed, twisted, dark, and crazy. Javier Bardem in No Country was calm, calculated, and although he didn't respect life, he wasn't twisted and insane like Ledger's Joker. Javier Bardem operated by a strict code which he held above everything else. Ledger's Joker was just pure insanity. and btw Ledger was far better than Nicholson, who does not adapt his performances to fit his roles. Same character, every movie.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
both are way different and awesome
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Mark Hamill is the definitive Joker. Screw Nicholson and Ledger; their performances are inferior to Hamill's.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="tbone29"]They're different Joker characters... So they're really not meant to be compared...

You could compare what version you liked.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

He was pretty bad ass but I think that we just talking about the live action movies.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I think they're incomparable. Nicholson's was more akin to the early comic books, but Ledger's was more dark and realistic. I prefer Ledger, he did a fantastic job of playing a psychotic, plus I absolutely despise Tim Burton.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Samwel_X"]No love for Mark Hamill? septemberluc

Indeed. That nasally voice he has is always good for evil voiceovers.

For any animated/voiceover work, Mark Hamill, no question about it. He's actually doing his voice again in the upcoming Batman VG; looking forward to that. As far as live action, Nicholson was good for his time, but I wound up enjoying Ledger's performance much more. For me, I think the reason for it is because of the two vastly different takes on him. Nicholson's version was this scenery-chewing, kind of hammy villian; almost as if he was going for his own take on the '60s Joker from the old TV show. Ledger, on the other hand seemed to go for a more subdued, yet sinister performance; as if he was trying his best to make such a character as beliveable & realistic as possible. But, that's just the way I see it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

[QUOTE="Samwel_X"]No love for Mark Hamill? Oleg_Huzwog

Mark Hamill is the definitive Joker. Screw Nicholson and Ledger; their performances are inferior to Hamill's.

I agree entirely.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
What is clear is that if anyone ever offers you to play The Joker you take that role in a heartbeat because that character alwas makes you better.
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts

[QUOTE="Samwel_X"]No love for Mark Hamill? Guybrush_3

He was pretty bad ass but I think that we just talking about the live action movies.

Then there's still one joker missing. :P
Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
Heath Ledger of course. Jack Nicholson was good, but he was just himself.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Jack Nicholson basically played as himself... so Ledger.
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts
Jack Nicholson. Most people who say Heath Ledgeys are either fanboys or only like newish movies. Jack Nicholson suited the joker the best because originally, the Joker is supposed to be a weird and wacky character, something that Jack could portray very well. The Dark Knight was a good movie but that Joker only suited that specific movie.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Jack Nicholsons joker was a horrible portrayal of The Joker. It was just Jack playing himself. Heath Ledger nailed the role. I would have never knew that Heath Ledger. He was completely immersed into the role.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#42 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Nicholson was good, Ledger was better.
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
They are very different so it's hard to compare themNifty_Shark
end there.
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
It's difficult to say. Both characters had different personas.