It's kind of weird that how long we've been waiting(Toy Story 1995)?

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JoaoPedro7
Member since 2020 • 98 Posts

We've been waiting for around 25 years to see games looking near to a 90's CGi movie. I was talking about that in another topic, some things like the fact that Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is gonna look better than Toy Story 1. Anyway, I was watching this scenes below and thinking how beautiful it looks and then I thought maybe consoles are not ready for this level of graphics. I don't know... I'm just curious about your opinions...

In another topic I said that we're ready to see something like Bug's Life, Ants and Toy Story... But today, I don't know...

If this topic is in the wrong area I ask for moderators to transfer this topic for the correct area

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#2 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah it's interesting isn't it. I'm not able to really comment much on this seeing as I'm not all that educated on the topic, but looking forward to reading some responses.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

IMO we do have games that look better than Toy Story (original) these days. Well, in a lot of ways. Maybe not all.

Still waiting for games to get distance drawing down, so we aren't looking at ugly smudges when things are 500+ yards away.

With that said, to my knowledge (and I might be wrong), it is important to remember that CGI movies are pre-rendered, while games need to be done in real-time. From what I've read movies like Toy Story are made using banks of computer servers with super fancy GPU stacks and so forth, whereas games need to rely on console hardware (which is lacking in general), and even the most badass 5000-dollar PC can't do what an old Pixar movie can do.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 JoaoPedro7
Member since 2020 • 98 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I see Subsurface Scattering and Ray Tracing as newer technologies, as well as better textures when we're talking about realistic games. But the polygon count of 90's CGi remains incredible by today's standards @_@