Is worship of Mary a biblical teaching ?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

Where in the Bible says Christians to worship Mary ? Isn't it a heretic teaching ?

Mike-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mike-uk
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

Catholic teaching.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her.
Mike-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Mike-uk
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts
I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. ferrari2001
No? They talk about her so often they might aswell worship her.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jackfruitchips
I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. ferrari2001
Catholics kneel before Mary's statues and saying rosary
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. jackfruitchips

If you listen to the prayers of the rosary they involve asking Mary to pray WITH you to God as you meditate on parts of Christ's life. Catholic's believe that those who have gone before us are still able to pray for us, so as we pray we ask them to pray with us. We also believe that Mary offers the perfect example of how to live a life in love of God, she was his mother after all, so we venerate her, which is a lot different from worship.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. Mike-uk

Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ...
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. ferrari2001

If you listen to the prayers of the rosary they involve asking Mary to pray WITH you to God as you meditate on parts of Christ's life. Catholic's believe that those who have gone before us are still able to pray for us, so as we pray we ask them to pray with us. We also believe that Mary offers the perfect example of how to live a life in love of God, she was his mother after all, so we venerate her, which is a lot different from worship.

What's the difference between worship and veneration ?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

They think if they can get in good with mary, that jesus will give them favor.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Catholics kneel before Mary's statues and saying rosary

Veneration is holding someone in high regard because of the life they lived. It's kind of like how amateur athletes will look up to a pro athlete to model their career after. Unlike the athlete we are modeling our spiritual life after some individual we feel lived a life worthy of heaven since that to is our goal.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. Mike-uk

no.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jackfruitchips
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] If you listen to the prayers of the rosary they involve asking Mary to pray WITH you to God as you meditate on parts of Christ's life. Catholic's believe that those who have gone before us are still able to pray for us, so as we pray we ask them to pray with us. We also believe that Mary offers the perfect example of how to live a life in love of God, she was his mother after all, so we venerate her, which is a lot different from worship.

Veneration is holding someone in high regard because of the life they lived. It's kind of like how amateur athletes will look up to a pro athlete to model their career after. Unlike the athlete we are modeling our spiritual life after some individual we feel lived a life worthy of heaven since that to is our goal.

and worship ? to me, looks like Catholics worship both Jesus and Mary. I don't see the difference.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] What's the difference between worship and veneration ?jackfruitchips

and worship ? to me, looks like Catholics worship both Jesus and Mary. I don't see the difference.

Worship is homage that is rightly offered to God alone, to His person as a diety. We worship Him as a person, not what he has done. You worship a deity simply for being a diety. Veneration is more directed towards a person's action. In the case of Mary and the saints we acknowledge their accomplishments of achieving eternal life, and we model our lives after that so we to can accomplish that goal.

edit: example: We don't honor Mary for simply being Mary. We honor her becuase of what she has done, was God's Mother, raised Christ, suffered with Christ, and led a life of love for Christ. If she had done none of that we would have no reason to honor her.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I have never met a Catholic who claimed to worship Mary. That stated, I am under the belief that she is esteemed greater than she probably should be (especially when people argue that she was completely sinless). However, as a Protestant I will also make note that we Protestants seem to esteem her far too little. She was a Godly woman who, like us, needed a savior. Catholics make note of the first part, Protestants make note of the second.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I always thought worship over anyone besides the holy spriti, including Jesus was a sin.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

This^

It's a fairly basic teaching and most people should know this with a simple google search

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. jackfruitchips

I believe they also pray to her.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

We (Catholics) do not worship Mary.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Catholics kneel before Mary's statues and saying rosaryjackfruitchips

Worship is reserved for God alone, veneration is honoring a creature.

Would you consider saluting the flag or making statues of the U.S. presidents to be worshiping the flag or the president? That is a form of honor/veneration, not worship.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox  Online

What are the words in a Rosary?

Edit: Nevermind, it's been said.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="Mike-uk"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. jackfruitchips

Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ...

Please educate yourself before spouting this. We do not worship her or pray to her. Never. And there is Holy Mass on Saturday's too (evening).
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. The-Apostle

I believe they also pray to her.

No we do not...
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="Mike-uk"] No? They talk about her so often they might aswell worship her. Chutebox

Please educate yourself before spouting this. We do not worship her or pray to her. Never. And there is Holy Mass on Saturday's too (evening).

I think there is Mass on weekdays as well and pretty much everyday except for Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... whipassmt

I think there is Mass on weekdays as well and pretty much everyday except for Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

Yes. They are not holy days of obligation, but there is mass every day.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike-uk"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"]I don't know of any religion that worships Mary. Catholics honor Mary for being the mother of God, and one role model to which we can model our lives but they certainly don't worship her. jackfruitchips

Not even close. Why not educate yourself rather than spouting nonsense?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... jackfruitchips

No. The month of May is named after Maia, a Greek/Roman fertility goddess, not after Mary.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"][QUOTE="Mike-uk"] No? They talk about her so often they might aswell worship her.

He's not really too far off. Rosary prayers "Hail Mary" for instance. I don't see how you could say that there isn't a notable number of churches that reference Mary somehow in their name. The Saturday thing I can't really comment on, I've never heard of that before honestly but Catholic isn't a very common denomination around here. May is actually named after a Greek Goddess and again I've never heard this claimed before.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... Ace6301

He's not really too far off. Rosary prayers "Hail Mary" for instance. I don't see how you could say that there isn't a notable number of churches that reference Mary somehow in their name. The Saturday thing I can't really comment on, I've never heard of that before honestly but Catholic isn't a very common denomination around here. May is actually named after a Greek Goddess and again I've never heard of this before.

You mean the prayer where she's asked to pray for people? Mass is always celebrated for the same reason. They aren't celebrated to Mary. Ever.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GummiRaccoon

As an atheist I find the lack of knowledge about catholics from other christians (catholics are christians also you dolts) hilarious.

This reminds me of the time that some bible thumper said that I was a satan worshipper for being an atheist. lolwat

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jackfruitchips"] Yes they name a lot of churches after her, they say paryers to her, they have hymns to praise her, they worship her on Saturdays (Sndays are for God and Jesus, they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... Ace6301

He's not really too far off. Rosary prayers "Hail Mary" for instance. I don't see how you could say that there isn't a notable number of churches that reference Mary somehow in their name. The Saturday thing I can't really comment on, I've never heard of that before honestly but Catholic isn't a very common denomination around here. May is actually named after a Greek Goddess and again I've never heard this claimed before.

When you hail a cab are you worshipping it?

They are calling to mary

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Do what you gotta do with causes from every action?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Not even close. Why not educate yourself rather than spouting nonsense?GummiRaccoon

They are calling to mary

Maybe it's just me but: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen." Sounds a bit more worshipy than "Taxi!"
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] He's not really too far off. Rosary prayers "Hail Mary" for instance. I don't see how you could say that there isn't a notable number of churches that reference Mary somehow in their name. The Saturday thing I can't really comment on, I've never heard of that before honestly but Catholic isn't a very common denomination around here. May is actually named after a Greek Goddess and again I've never heard this claimed before.Ace6301

They are calling to mary

Maybe it's just me but: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen." Sounds a bit more worshipy than "Taxi!"

Dear Mary, full of kindness, God is with you, you have been blessed amongst women, you gave birth to god. Mary Mother of god, do us a favor and tell jesus personally how we didn't mean it until we die.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"]they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... worlock77

No. The month of May is named after Maia, a Greek/Roman fertility goddess, not after Mary.

So is Thursday not named after the superhero :(
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ace6301

Dear Mary, full of kindness, God is with you, you have been blessed amongst women, you gave birth to god. Mary Mother of god, do us a favor and tell jesus personally how we didn't mean it until we die.

GummiRaccoon
Are you sure you read the post I was responding to and my response to it? Really seems like you didn't. [QUOTE="Fightingfan"] So is Thursday not named after the superhero :(

Thorsday and Wodensday bro. So yeah sure why not.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Ace6301

Are you sure you read the post I was responding to and my response to it? Really seems like you didn't.
So is Thursday not named after the superhero :(Fightingfan
Thorsday and Wodensday bro. So yeah sure why not.

They are using fluttery speech to ask mary for a favor.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ace6301

They are using fluttery speech to ask mary for a favor.

GummiRaccoon
I said he's not too far off, but noted he wasn't correct. Also given the way Catholics believe saints and martyrs work asking them for a favor is essentially a prayer. Look up intercession. Not to mention Prayer is in effect asking something for a favour.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
There is a fine line between worship and reverence... and most non-philosophers don't know the difference. In my opinion, intercessory prayer would qualify as a form of worship. It acknowledges her as an extant, divine being powerful enough to influence God. She would also qualify as a consort to God.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

I relish Atheists and fundamentalists calling veneration of Mary a form of worship, that is Tulia, not knowing the fundamental difference between forms of veneration and worship.

But no, Worship in the sense of how most westerners would understand it of the ever virgin Theotokos, is not biblical.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Philokalia

There is a fine line between worship and reverence... and most non-philosophers don't know the difference. In my opinion, intercessory prayer would qualify as a form of worship. It acknowledges her as an extant, divine being powerful enough to influence God. She would also qualify as a consort to God.Zeviander

Perhaps you should actually look at the defintions of those who hold to these doctrines.

- Mary is not divine

- Mary is not the only saint whom is asked for intercession.

- Mary did not consort with God, despite what the quran might tell you.

- If Intercessory prayer works also as worship then practically all the saints on the calander would have to be considered divine, and by that extension even other Christians whom pray for each other on earth would also qualify as being worshipped.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="jackfruitchips"]they even have 1 month each year (May) to worship her ... Fightingfan

So is Thursday not named after the superhero :(

Thursday is named after Thor, yes. Just as Wednesday is named for Odin (Woden).

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Philokalia

Maybe it's just me but: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen." Sounds a bit more worshipy than "Taxi!"Ace6301

And Mary said: My soul does magnify the Lord. 47And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48Because he has regarded the humility of his handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 49Because he that is mighty has done great things to me: and holy is his name.

Mary must have worshipped herself.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 worlock77

- Mary did not consort with God, despite what the quran might tell you.Philokalia

Pretty sure the Qur'an does not claim anything of the sort.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="Philokalia"]Perhaps you should actually look at the defintions of those who hold to these doctrines. - Mary is not divine - Mary is not the only saint whom is asked for intercession. - Mary did not consort with God, despite what the quran might tell you. - If Intercessory prayer works also as worship then practically all the saints on the calander would have to be considered divine, and by that extension even other Christians whom pray for each other on earth would also qualify as being worshipped.

Again, I say, the popular opinion isn't necessarily in line with the official doctrine. These are merely my interpretations of how people talk about their beliefs.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Maybe it's just me but: "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen." Sounds a bit more worshipy than "Taxi!"Philokalia

And Mary said: My soul does magnify the Lord. 47And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48Because he has regarded the humility of his handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 49Because he that is mighty has done great things to me: and holy is his name.

Mary must have worshipped herself.

Well I wouldn't have said so before but yeah actually you make it sound like that's the case.
funtimez12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funtimez12345
Member since 2012 • 343 Posts

Catholics don't worship Mary tho.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I relish Atheists and fundamentalists calling veneration of Mary a form of worship, that is Tulia, not knowing the fundamental difference between forms of veneration and worship.

But no, Worship in the sense of how most westerners would understand it of the ever virgin Theotokos, is not biblical.

Philokalia

The idea of veneration causes the same sort of issues between Sunni and Shia Muslims as it does between the Christian faiths.

I relish fundamentalists of all religious persuasions getting caught up in the subtleties over degrees of reverence.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

We had to pray to Mary a lot, are you sure that isn't worship?

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

As far as I know, only Catholics do that. I really know nothing about Orthodox Christians, but Protestants don't.